News Ticker

Archive Issues/Bugs

scooterbug8515

I know this topic is for the forums or will this topic suffice for both forums and archives?

There are a few minor things I've stumbled upon in our archives.

1. OCD me noticed that there is a paragraph that isn't double entered down.  Nothing major I'll try to find it again in just a bit to help you find it.  EDIT:  3rd paragraph just below the list of banned fanfic

2. Skin changes.  (The skins are lovely and I'm a fan of Sommerbrise)  However, when I checked out Night Sky I noticed that the little drop down to change skins vanished.  (at least it did on the FAQ page)

3. FAQ page... #2 of How do I join is missing from the list.  It goes 1 3 4

4. Site Guidelines, this isn't a bug but a request/an issue where I am blind.  Can there be a quick link to them somewhere?  Like at the bottom of the page is the TOS and I'm able to get to the guidelines via the TOS but I can't find a link just to the guidelines lest I go to the TOS first. (On another site things are set up similarly and I got frustrated looking for the guidelines failing to realize they are only linked in the TOS.)

5. Guidelines state that stories must contain a minimum of 100 words but when submitting a story there is an option to post Drabbel which is slated as -100 so either it's option needs to be removed OR Guidelines needs to mention this exception which I'm not sure what/how that is.

EDIT

6. Editing stories - that is a little confusing... I edited in a banner and it took me a minute to realize that I had to select 'add story' again to edit which isn't intuitive.  Don't know if this can be edited but something I thought would be worth mentioning.

7.  This isn't a bug but more of a question and I'm not sure where to put this but I wanted to inquire about the Arranged marriage rule.  I don't want to make waves but all references to arranged marriages are rated M? That would seem to mean the Movie Brave by Disney would have to be rated M because the main plot point is an arranged marriage that is defied. The same would be true of an agreed to arranged marriage which is fairly common in certain cultures even today.  I just wanted to verify this rating considering some arranged marriages are consensual, some are asked for and some while intended don't happen.  I mean it seems like it would potentially be a pure blood practice for HP not to mention it is a historical thing. 

EDIT 2

8. There seems to be a correlation issue of sorts.  When adding a new story there is a section called story notes, however when the story is published what is typed in that section is listed as the story summary.

9. This is a suggestion rather than a bug, an easy way for authors to get to their author page to see what users see when they go to your author page.  I like looking at the list of my stories with my banners instead of just looking at the list in manager story and clicking into the stories.  So a link to 'view author page' would be awesome and super helpful!

Sorry for the double post... my edit window has closed. 

10.  Save for the site new welcoming us I didn't really see anywhere that says OF is allowed.  I assume that welcome message will get filtered away as time passes and thus new people will not know that HPFT archive is not only for fandoms but OF as well.  (Again maybe I'm blind here)

EDIT - as a quick note, I've noticed minor things with the tutorials and have left reviews on the ones that I've found issues on thus far.  I hope that is okay otherwise this post would be as long as the first/ I'd have to post multiple times.

Also I hope I'm not offending by pointing out potential issues.  I figure that is what we are to do with a soft open so we can have the best possible site when we grand open.

1. OCD me noticed that there is a paragraph that isn't double entered down.  Nothing major I'll try to find it again in just a bit to help you find it.  EDIT:  3rd paragraph just below the list of banned fanfic

Can you link to the page you're talking about? I'm not sure which it is.

2. Skin changes.  (The skins are lovely and I'm a fan of Sommerbrise)  However, when I checked out Night Sky I noticed that the little drop down to change skins vanished.  (at least it did on the FAQ page)

The drop down is in a different place on Night Sky - it's in the box on the right of the screen rather than the bottom. :)

3. FAQ page... #2 of How do I join is missing from the list.  It goes 1 3 4

Fixed, thank you!

4. Site Guidelines, this isn't a bug but a request/an issue where I am blind.  Can there be a quick link to them somewhere?  Like at the bottom of the page is the TOS and I'm able to get to the guidelines via the TOS but I can't find a link just to the guidelines lest I go to the TOS first. (On another site things are set up similarly and I got frustrated looking for the guidelines failing to realize they are only linked in the TOS.)

Yes. I'll add them somewhere more visible later today. :)

5. Guidelines state that stories must contain a minimum of 100 words but when submitting a story there is an option to post Drabbel which is slated as -100 so either it's option needs to be removed OR Guidelines needs to mention this exception which I'm not sure what/how that is.

100 words is our minimum; the reason I did ~100 words as opposed to 100+ words is that I didn't want 700 word "drabbles," and I was concerned that would make it unclear. I'll look into rewording that a bit to make it clearer. :)

6. Editing stories - that is a little confusing... I edited in a banner and it took me a minute to realize that I had to select 'add story' again to edit which isn't intuitive.  Don't know if this can be edited but something I thought would be worth mentioning.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to edit it in, but I can certainly add that in as a help question.

7.  This isn't a bug but more of a question and I'm not sure where to put this but I wanted to inquire about the Arranged marriage rule.  I don't want to make waves but all references to arranged marriages are rated M? That would seem to mean the Movie Brave by Disney would have to be rated M because the main plot point is an arranged marriage that is defied. The same would be true of an agreed to arranged marriage which is fairly common in certain cultures even today.  I just wanted to verify this rating considering some arranged marriages are consensual, some are asked for and some while intended don't happen.  I mean it seems like it would potentially be a pure blood practice for HP not to mention it is a historical thing.

It's fine to ask questions, don't worry about it. :)

The point of the guidelines isn't to account for every potential contingency; they're to cast a broad umbrella that's clear, easy to understand, and won't result in stories with potentially upsetting content being underrated. That means that some things that aren't a huge deal will end up being caught in that. Since we're not disallowing them, just requiring a higher rating, I don't see that as a big deal.

In this case, the line between arranged marriage and forced marriage can be a little blurry, so we decided that it was best to require M ratings for all.

8. There seems to be a correlation issue of sorts.  When adding a new story there is a section called story notes, however when the story is published what is typed in that section is listed as the story summary.

I'm a little confused; what's the issue?

9. This is a suggestion rather than a bug, an easy way for authors to get to their author page to see what users see when they go to your author page.  I like looking at the list of my stories with my banners instead of just looking at the list in manager story and clicking into the stories.  So a link to 'view author page' would be awesome and super helpful!

We've added this to our list.

10.  Save for the site new welcoming us I didn't really see anywhere that says OF is allowed.  I assume that welcome message will get filtered away as time passes and thus new people will not know that HPFT archive is not only for fandoms but OF as well.  (Again maybe I'm blind here)

There's an OF category. I can add a line into the site guidelines as well, though. :)

EDIT - as a quick note, I've noticed minor things with the tutorials and have left reviews on the ones that I've found issues on thus far.  I hope that is okay otherwise this post would be as long as the first/ I'd have to post multiple times.

As we said in the tutorial summaries, when you notice issues with the tutorials or have further questions, it's actually much more help to mention them in bugs or contact us via email.

Also I hope I'm not offending by pointing out potential issues.  I figure that is what we are to do with a soft open so we can have the best possible site when we grand open.

As I said, it's fine to bring things up. :)

Also, I found that there's a typo and there are two Molly Weasley I's and no Molly Weasley II's in the character section

I'm not sure if someone else has fixed it in the meantime, but I see a Molly Weasley I and a Molly Weasley II now. :)

Just a couple of minor things I noticed and wanted to bring to attention :)

1 -- Alice Longbottom is listed in the pairings with Frank but not as a character in her own right in the Characters section.

2 -- It appeared that Jily (pairing) was listed twice.

Thank you so much for a beautiful new home! <3

These have been fixed. I've also fixed some other duplicates I saw. :)

In the Site Guidelines, the staff email is missing from this paragraph:

Coauthors and Multiple Accounts: Authors are welcome to write stories together; should they choose to do so, all contributing authors must be included as co-authors. Authors are also permitted to have multiple accounts, but they must inform a staff member by archive PM or by emailing [staff email] upon creating each additional account. Regardless of the circumstances, only short excerpts (i.e., 300 words or less) of existing material may be reused in other stories.

Just thought I'd mention it here so it can be fixed :)

Whoops! Thank you! I'll fix it now. :)

I don't know if it's just me, but when I try and add a chapter to the queue it tells me that I need to input the text of my chapter into the text area... but I am. I tried uploading the word .doc but that didn't work either.

Um?

I don't know if it's just me, but when I try and add a chapter to the queue it tells me that I need to input the text of my chapter into the text area... but I am. I tried uploading the word .doc but that didn't work either.

Um?

What browser and operating system are you using? I had issues like this with my phone.

Windows 8 and Internet Explorer (I know, I know, internet explorer...  :P ).

Did it not work for you on Internet Explorer?

I haven't tested on IE. I do think any other browser would work better.  :P (though  seriously, try another browser if possible)

To add: Microsoft is not continuing support of Internet Explorer, and as time passes, more and more things online will work poorly with it or not at all. Its already the case that some sites and/or softwares are not working to maintain compatibility with IE. We will probably not go to any great lengths ourselves if software we use isn't still compatible, mainly because we don't really have the talent for it and partly because what talent we do have/are acquiring is probably better spent on fixing and improving other areas. Few of our users are using IE anyway. It's something that's already come up in a small way when discussing skins. :/ I know it's a bit of a pain to give up your preferred browser.

Ok, enough IE spiel from me. :P please do let us know if you can't get it working with another browser.

When I made a formatting edit to chapter 2 of a multi fic story, while it was in the queue that chapter disappeared from the story listing,  leaving only chapters 1 and 3. I didn't notice anything like this happening when I made an edit to a one shot. I'm not sure if this is a bug or can be fixed, but it seems like it could be come an inconvenience to writers and readers of multi fic stories at times when the queue is longer

Yes, unfortunately chapters do disappear from the queue while they're being edited. We're working on fixing that, but it requires some pretty involved coding, so it might take awhile. In the meantime, we're dealing with all edits before starting to validate new chapters for that reason, so hopefully it won't be missing for more than a few hours.

I noticed when I was reading reviews that where it says what date the review was posted, it says "Datum" instead of "Date", and "Fur", where it should say "For". (It was found here on the Autumn Days skin)

Another thing I've noticed is that after I resubmitted a story after a rejection (just needed to bump up the rating) it seems to have not gone back in the queue, and it looks like it happened to another of my stories which I also needed to just bump up the rating.

I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong, but I'm unsure if when I click on characters/advisories they get added. It doesn't show up anywhere. Also, I did try adding them the way I added the era for the story, but only one of the characters/advisories/themes/everything under era and fandom pick shows up. Say if I enter Original Character, Albus Severus Potter, James Sirius Potter, and Astoria Malfoy, only James Sirius Potter shows up. And if I enter Violence and Sexual Content, only violence shows up.

Edit: Nope, I found unlisted pairing, ha ha!

Can you link to the page you're talking about? I'm not sure which it is.

Sorry I wasn't clear on this one! http://archive.hpfanfictalk.com/viewpage.php?page=tos  3rd paragraph just bellow the list of banned fanfic.

It's fine to ask questions, don't worry about it. :)

The point of the guidelines isn't to account for every potential contingency; they're to cast a broad umbrella that's clear, easy to understand, and won't result in stories with potentially upsetting content being underrated. That means that some things that aren't a huge deal will end up being caught in that. Since we're not disallowing them, just requiring a higher rating, I don't see that as a big deal.

In this case, the line between arranged marriage and forced marriage can be a little blurry, so we decided that it was best to require M ratings for all.

I will respectfully disagree here but it is not my place to argue the rating further.

I'm a little confused; what's the issue?

When adding a story there is a section where I can type called "Story Notes"  once the story is published those notes are listed as "Story Summary".  Notes and summary are two different things.  If this is still confusing I will take the time to take pictures to explain what I mean.

As we said in the tutorial summaries, when you notice issues with the tutorials or have further questions, it's actually much more help to mention them in bugs or contact us via email.

I must have missed this line, I will post my notes here in a bit.

Also as a random note regarding IE.  I know Windows 8 is indeed IE but some users think they are using IE when actually they are using the new Microsoft Edge just wanted to toss that out there as an FYI.  (Personal IT experience)

Sorry I wasn't clear on this one! http://archive.hpfanfictalk.com/viewpage.php?page=tos  3rd paragraph just bellow the list of banned fanfic.

Fixed. :)

I will respectfully disagree here but it is not my place to argue the rating further.

It's fine if you disagree, and I agree that it's not a productive use of our time to continue to discuss the point (particularly since it's not like we disallow arranged marriage; we just require an M rating), but I'm actually a little bothered but the second half of your sentence. We encourage our members to give feedback, and I'd like to think that we've never implied that it's not your place to give feedback about the archives.

When adding a story there is a section where I can type called "Story Notes"  once the story is published those notes are listed as "Story Summary".  Notes and summary are two different things.  If this is still confusing I will take the time to take pictures to explain what I mean.

Ah, I see.

I'm actually not sure why they're showing up together for you; they don't for me. I just tested it again to make sure.

I've used the "summary" section for my entire summary, and the "story notes" section for awards. The story notes show up in the black bar right above the chapters; the summary doesn't. They do serve different purposes. :)

It's fine if you disagree, and I agree that it's not a productive use of our time to continue to discuss the point (particularly since it's not like we disallow arranged marriage; we just require an M rating), but I'm actually a little bothered but the second half of your sentence. We encourage our members to give feedback, and I'd like to think that we've never implied that it's not your place to give feedback about the archives.

No it wasn't an implication on your part, rather a decision on my part. I gave my feedback and that is all she wrote.  It is not my place to argue till I'm blue in the face unless I think it is a massive injustice which this isn't.  So I made me disagreement with the decision clear, it has been noted and that is all she wrote at this point.

Ah, I see.

I'm actually not sure why they're showing up together for you; they don't for me. I just tested it again to make sure.

I've used the "summary" section for my entire summary, and the "story notes" section for awards. The story notes show up in the black bar right above the chapters; the summary doesn't. They do serve different purposes. :)

I don't think my meaning is clear. 

This is what I see when posting my story to the archive. 

300b3nr.png

After it is posted this is how it translates.

fjgaat.png

The things that are in the notes are listed as Story Summary and that is kind of confusing.

EDIT:

Also the issues with the tutorials one of them is already fixed the other has to do with the profanity tutorial...

1.  The S is missing from "Should" in the 3rd paragraph.

2. The curse word in the second paragraph isn't listed for where it sits in content ratings.  I know it is a slur and am guessing is is only allowed in M stories unless it is banned for being a slur.  If it is banned that doesn't read clear.

IDK, Kevin, that Mulder gif is pretty brutal if you know the context. :P

I don't think my meaning is clear. 

This is what I see when posting my story to the archive. 

After it is posted this is how it translates.

The things that are in the notes are listed as Story Summary and that is kind of confusing.

I see what you're saying now; thanks for clarifying. I'll add it to our list.

Also the issues with the tutorials one of them is already fixed the other has to do with the profanity tutorial...

1.  The S is missing from "Should" in the 3rd paragraph.

2. The curse word in the second paragraph isn't listed for where it sits in content ratings.  I know it is a slur and am guessing is is only allowed in M stories unless it is banned for being a slur.  If it is banned that doesn't read clear.

1. Added the S, thanks.

2. Slurs aren't banned; they just require a specific advisory. As it says in the tutorial, that particular word is treated as a slur outside of a sexual context. In a sexual context, it is included under the broad umbrella of Proper and slang terms for sexual acts and body parts, which sits in the M-rating category. It's not feasible to list them all out, and I think our broader statement makes it pretty clear.

I'm not expecting all words to be listed but under M there is only the F bomb and the C word wasn't in any list and I wanted to verify that it is an M word and was meaning it would be helpful to be listed under the rating as it is clearly an allowed word even if there is special slur treatment for it. 

I was just suggesting it for clarity sake as it is listed in the paragraph to have it in the list as well.

Under the M-rated section, we have one swear word and the following paragraph:

Proper and slang terms for sexual acts and body parts are also allowed in M-rated stories, provided they include a ‘Sexual Content’ advisory if those terms are being used in a sex scene. Please review the Sexual Content Tutorial for further guidance on sex scenes.

I feel pretty strongly that this is sufficient and clearly includes the word you're talking about. If others are also confused, though, I'm happy to consider changing it. :)

Another thing I've noticed is that after I resubmitted a story after a rejection (just needed to bump up the rating) it seems to have not gone back in the queue, and it looks like it happened to another of my stories which I also needed to just bump up the rating.

We'll fix the German thing in a few days (it's easy but I'll be busy).

I posted about this on twitter but wanted to say it here: if you have a rejection for rating or advisory changes, you have to go into your chapter and save it to trigger it to go to the queue.

I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong, but I'm unsure if when I click on characters/advisories they get added. It doesn't show up anywhere. Also, I did try adding them the way I added the era for the story, but only one of the characters/advisories/themes/everything under era and fandom pick shows up.

Are you holding down the ctrl key while selecting your options?

Note for selecting multiples in the lists when creating a new story: if you are using a Mac, it's the Command key, not the Cntrl key.

Are you holding down the ctrl key while selecting your options?

Ha ha, no, I didn't even realize I had to! Thanks Rose.

Edit: It's still not working, is there anything I have to click besides holding control and clicking on the character/theme/advisory/etc.?

If you have a mac, you need to hold down command.