News Ticker

Ask a Staffer

WriteYourHeartOut

If you have a question about the site (including anything on our forums, archive, or social media) that you'd like a staff member to answer for you, please post below and we'll be happy to help you out! ^.^

Please note that answering questions in this topic is strictly for staff members to handle. Members who post here should only do so to ask a question.

• 5 weeks later...

This is nothing major but I'm curious - what are the squares that are shown under a person's User Info? I've noticed that the colours and number of squares vary and I haven't been able to figure out the pattern to them. I've also noticed that in the list of active users, some usernames are in bold. Is there a particular significance to that?

Also, is there any kind of system wherein more functions would be available to users depending on the number of posts they've made? (for eg. the other forums had the post requirement to get the search feature)

I'm sorry if this has already been covered somewhere, I couldn't find these details in the knowledge base thread. (and doubly sorry if these are stupid questions. *hides behind couch*)

This is nothing major but I'm curious - what are the squares that are shown under a person's User Info? I've noticed that the colours and number of squares vary and I haven't been able to figure out the pattern to them. I've also noticed that in the list of active users, some usernames are in bold. Is there a particular significance to that?

Also, is there any kind of system wherein more functions would be available to users depending on the number of posts they've made? (for eg. the other forums had the post requirement to get the search feature)

I'm sorry if this has already been covered somewhere, I couldn't find these details in the knowledge base thread. (and doubly sorry if these are stupid questions. *hides behind couch*)

Bold users are your buddies.

No, there are no extra functions available by post-based group at this time.

Squares:  Admins/Headmasters have red, mods/professors have blue, members have yellow.  For members, the number varies by what year you are in (just like the dots on HPFF), meaning how many posts you've made.  We are working on putting together a FAQ/Knowledgebase article breaking down the user groups right now. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Not major, but just wondering. How does one become a prefect? So sorry if this was covered somewhere else, *hides face*.

Good question! Earlier this month, we posted an announcement inviting individuals to apply for Prefect and then chose 3 Prefects per house based on the strength of those applications. Unfortunately the application window has closed, but in the future we anticipate inviting more members to join the Prefect team.

Good question! Earlier this month, we posted an announcement inviting individuals to apply for Prefect and then chose 3 Prefects per house based on the strength of those applications. Unfortunately the application window has closed, but in the future we anticipate inviting more members to join the Prefect team.

Thank you so much!

Hey guys! So I've been having a minor problem, to do with the PM system. I just wanted to know if this is something everyone has or if it's just me. According to the sidebar where it shows how many new messages you have, and at the top, I have 2 new messages, but I've read and replied to both. If it can't be fixed I don't mind, I tried my settings to see if I could fix it and I couldn't. Sorry if I'm just being thick and there's a really obvious way to sort it!

Hey guys! So I've been having a minor problem, to do with the PM system. I just wanted to know if this is something everyone has or if it's just me. According to the sidebar where it shows how many new messages you have, and at the top, I have 2 new messages, but I've read and replied to both. If it can't be fixed I don't mind, I tried my settings to see if I could fix it and I couldn't. Sorry if I'm just being thick and there's a really obvious way to sort it!

It is a known bug in certain themes.  Use the SMF default (not the forum default) or the mobile theme (which works on desktop also) for correct display of unread messages for the time being.

• 1 month later...

Will we be opening up an area for NaNo, have threads for NaNo projects, adopting those brave (or crazy) enough to attempt NaNo? (We are at T-41 days ...)

Will we be opening up an area for NaNo, have threads for NaNo projects, adopting those brave (or crazy) enough to attempt NaNo? (We are at T-41 days ...)

Yup. We'll be doing that closer to November

Since we have a House Cup going all year round, are we going to have a Quidditch/Inter-House Quidditch Cup that does as well? (well, technically November to May?)

Since we have a House Cup going all year round, are we going to have a Quidditch/Inter-House Quidditch Cup that does as well? (well, technically November to May?)

There will be Quidditch. Stay tuned ;)

• 1 month later...

Please use this thread to ask for clarifications regarding archive rules, including what we allow and what rating/advisory should be attached to it. A validator will answer your post asap. :)

I have a clarification question - while reading the TOS when I registered, I saw a note about how stories may not have any historical or real people in them, although references are allowed. I was expecting there to be a rule about no real living people, but the historical figures one caught me by surprise. Several of my stories have historical figures that appear as minor characters. It's more than just a reference to them, but the stories also aren't about them per se... so I was just wondering where the line is drawn. If the historical character actually says a line of dialogue would that mean I can't post the story on the archive?

Thanks

I have a clarification question - while reading the TOS when I registered, I saw a note about how stories may not have any historical or real people in them, although references are allowed. I was expecting there to be a rule about no real living people, but the historical figures one caught me by surprise. Several of my stories have historical figures that appear as minor characters. It's more than just a reference to them, but the stories also aren't about them per se... so I was just wondering where the line is drawn. If the historical character actually says a line of dialogue would that mean I can't post the story on the archive?

Thanks

That was an oversight that we'd intended to resolve before launching the archive, but it got lost in the shuffle. You can use historical figures. :)

This is definitely going to take some getting used to, but for those of us who are really used to HPFF, what is a good rule of thumb when deciding ratings? Because I have stories that need to be Mature on HPFF because of sexual content, but I read through the tutorial and noticed that the mature story example was purely explicit. I'm the type of person who always gets nervous about validation and literally everything else (I'm even nervous because I feel like I'm asking a stupid question). And this goes for everything, like violence and such. I'm just feeling weird about how I should convert my stories from HPFF rating to HPFT ratings.

This is definitely going to take some getting used to, but for those of us who are really used to HPFF, what is a good rule of thumb when deciding ratings? Because I have stories that need to be Mature on HPFF because of sexual content, but I read through the tutorial and noticed that the mature story example was purely explicit. I'm the type of person who always gets nervous about validation and literally everything else (I'm even nervous because I feel like I'm asking a stupid question). And this goes for everything, like violence and such. I'm just feeling weird about how I should convert my stories from HPFF rating to HPFT ratings.

That's not a stupid question at all! That's why this topic is here; use it as much as you'd like. <3

This is going to be a bit of a shitty answer, though - there's not necessarily a great rule of thumb across the board. Our rules are pretty lenient compared to HPFF and many other moderated archives, but they're also just different; we have advisories that most archives don't have, and our umbrella for issues like sexual assault and hate speech is a bit broader.

As a general rule regarding sexual content in particular: if you're going into any detail about below-the-waist sexual activities, the story should be rated M. If you're just mentioning it and/or going into detail about above-the-waist sexual activities, the story can be rated T. It's tough to say without seeing the story itself (and you're welcome to PM it to me!), but a lot of stories that had to be rated M on HPFF would be accepted with a T rating here.

Thanks so much Branwen, I'll definitely keep pm-ing you in mind when I'm in a tough spot! And it wasn't that much of a shitty answer, don't worry (it actually really helped)!

That was an oversight that we'd intended to resolve before launching the archive, but it got lost in the shuffle. You can usehistorical figures. :)

Yay! Thank you :)

Quick question - are fics that are set up like plays allowed? I've got one on AO3 that wouldn't be accepted on the old archive due to its format, and from what I read in the Site rules it wasn't really clear if it was okay. That is, it's not mentioned so the implication is it's NOT okay, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

If you need an example here is the fic concerned: AO3 12+

I'm cool with not posting it if it's not allowed, but it's worth checking, right?

thanks!

Quick question - are fics that are set up like plays allowed? I've got one on AO3 that wouldn't be accepted on the old archive due to its format, and from what I read in the Site rules it wasn't really clear if it was okay. That is, it's not mentioned so the implication is it's NOT okay, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

If you need an example here is the fic concerned: AO3 12+

I'm cool with not posting it if it's not allowed, but it's worth checking, right?

thanks!

Yes, that's completely fine! I've added a story type for plays, diaries, etc. :)

I have one particular scene which references somebody dying of a drug overdose. I'm just wondering about the rating and advisories this would require. The event doesn't actually happen, if that makes a difference; it's more something a character fears happening.