News Ticker

Squee-Worthy Reviews!

WriteYourHeartOut

Just about every positive review tends to have a great effect on us as writers, but sometimes there's those reviews that just go above and beyond; the kind of reviews that stick with you long after you've finished reading them.

Gotten any reviews like that lately? Share them below!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just started writing GOT fanfiction and was feeling super insecure about it, because... well, it's a new fandom, and I'm tackling a character I love who I've never written before (obv) and starting with a plot that could turn cliche.

So I was thrilled when I got this comment on AO3 on the first chapter:

An interesting take on a recycled concept! I really enjoyed 'The Pack Survives' and particularly like your writing style.

Would love to learn more about Aislin! She sounds quite cliched right now, but I'm hoping you give her more flaws, consequences to her actions etc along the way. Can't wait to read about her (platonic...is it? There's way too much incest fanfic for my liking) relationship with Robb and Cat and how she fits into the story. ^^

I am personally not a huge R+L=J fan, because of Jon's hero archetype and Jesus esque storyline is incredibly dull and overdone for a series that breaks stereotypes, but I'm really hoping that you do something different here with Aislin! If Jon dies, I feel as if he should stay dead. I do love Jon, but...compared to the other characters, there's something about him that does make my eyelids droop at the same time.

I was even more thrilled when I got this review on FFnet, from the same reviewer:

Interesting chapter! Nice to get a bit of a hint as to what Robb and Aislin's relationship is like, some more about her personality as well as how she's picking up on Lady Stark's odd behavior towards her. She's clever enough to pick up that Cat is acting differently around her, and is trying to figure out what is going on. Can't wait to read more!

I may be over analyzing things here, but it seems to me that Aislin's fatal flaw is that she can be TOO outspoken and cannot control her mouth. OC writers tend to use it to make their characters look badass or whatever, but I'm hoping it leads to sticky situations Aislin's going to need to be pulled out of. Her words should bring forth consequences, and it would be a frustrating trait in a war where you must be diplomatic and reasonable.

She seems to share some common Stark traits and has familiar ones I see in Robb, but she just seems to 'run her mouth' more than loose her temper like him.

There's something else about Aislin's personality that I can't quite put my finger on. I'm trying to gather flaws, and observe her as an unique character. So far she has some cliched traits, but you are writing her in such a way that makes Aislin a good oc - I really look forward to seeing her character grow and develop, have more flaws/weaknesses unearthed etc.

Is there going to be something that sets her apart from the Starks, or is she more like Lyanna than Rhaegar? Will more older characters connect the dots and see similarities with her father? So many 'Lyanna's daughter' writers just make her Lyanna 2.0 which was why I still hold my initial chagrin. Please let her be like Rhaegar!

I still love the story though! Keep going, I am just paranoid after reading so many badfics and boring plotlines. I REALLY, REALLY want this to be great!

I PMed her to say thank you, and at this point, we've exchanged maybe a dozen PMs in which she's helped me hammer the story out a lot. I'd been thinking I'd leave it at a one-shot, and now I've got a broader plot and am working on chapter 4. So yeah, her feedback has definitely stuck with me and been so incredibly encouraging.

• 3 weeks later...

I got this from WindingArrow on pure intentions <3 

Why must you write the things? The things that make my heart hurt and make me want to cry? The THINGS, Rose! The THINGS!

Liz here with a BvB review just for YOU!

So, Scorbus is quickly becoming a favorite ship of mine and you and Jill are not helping! I can't focus on my normal projects and Scorbus is just TAKING OVER. But you just had to put a KNIFE in there, too, didn't you, Rose?

So, to start, the beginning was amazing. Your opening line is a perfect hook for a romantic set up and you perfectly summarized their relationship up to your starting point, which is really hard to do. When some people summarize things like that, it can feel too rushed and awkward or too long and remove elements from the story, but you just had it down PAT! Amazing! Tell me your secrets...

Noting that it takes three dorms to house all the student in their year is nice and something I don't generally see in fic. Despite JK's offhand remark that there are "about a thousand students" at Hogwarts, the general set up that we see in the books tends to be forty students per year, equally dispersed in their houses with five girls and five boys. Whether or not that's true, that's what it seems to be, so for you to add in that there are extra dorms filled up just to accommodate the post-war baby-boom is very interesting to me! A rather nice detail, though I know it just goes to serve your plot so they can have a room to themselves.

Even before Scorpius tells his parents who he's been seeing at school, he seems very reserved with Albus as if he knows he can't stay with him. I realize after reading more that he's simply not sure if he really loves him, but coming from the family that he does, I more so feel like he is intentionally distancing himself- like he doesn't want to say it because he knows that, eventually, he'll have to break his heart to follow his parents' wishes.

Draco is... WOW. As much as I'd like to think he's softened over the years, he's still a Malfoy through and through. I would have just looked at my dad and been like, "Then we will adopt all the babies and you can have all the Malfoy's you want, no wives necessary." But... Yeah. I totally get where he's coming from, though. Astoria surprised me. She's a very kind hearted mother and I appreciate that. Malfoy acts more like his father than he probably thinks and Astoria is a lot like his own mother- much softer, more about her children, trying to be understanding while also trying to stand by her husband. A husband she apparently never wanted. I feel really bad for her and I hope you write some sort of one-shot or short story about the relationship of Draco and Astoria. It must be very hard, being a Pureblood. Trying to live up to Pureblood expectations. No wonder they hate 'blood traitors' so much. They're free.

I love that Albus talked himself into going to the stuff old party just to see Scorpius. They really are so cute. You give me all this angst and then leave the chapter on a fluffy note laced with angst. THAT'S NOT NICE, ROSE! STOP DOING THE THINGS!

But, really, I was on the verge of tears several times and this is only chapter one. I'm not sure I can hack the rest of the story! PS, my brother-in-law and his boyfriend stayed the night last night and I totally cast them in the roles of Albus and Scorpius in my head for this story... xD

Looking forward to the next chapter even if my poor heart tears to shreds!

Have a wonderful day!

-Liz 

I actually got this review over a month ago on my entry for The Knockout Challenge.  It's from a member I've seen around for ages, but (I don't think) has ever left me a review before this.  I just re-read it and I'm all smiles.  Thanks SilverMoonFairy!

I picked the wrong story to BvB for. You have seriously depressed me and given me goosebumps, which is a strange sensation. Why do you have to be so mean? These are my feelings you're playing with.

Oh. Sigh. I can't say I haven't thought about writing something similar. You know it's good when it makes you want to curl into a ball and contemplate all the frivolous things you complain about on a daily basis.

That is to say, this is very good. VERY good. My heart was pounding the whole time as if I had never known about the death of Harry's parents.

Clever wording, by the way- "the Voldemort." Not many people know it's French for 'death flight.' I very much enjoyed the line.

You are a writer to watch. I hope you have original stories, because I think you would get published.

Have a wonderful day!

Beth, Rose, you're both so sweet! And funnily enough, I was just coming here to post BOTH of your reviews!

I was very unsure about a Next Gen story when I signed up for a Muggle challenge, but these two really made my day and made me excited about this era!

Veritaserum27

Hi there! I'm here for the June BvB review battle at HPFT! This first chapter was a great start to your story. I don't think I've ever read a story where a magical person had to tell their significant other muggle about their powers. The was done really well. I could feel the emotion and understand where each character was coming from. Dom is wonderfully flawed, but a totally likeable character. I found myself rooting for her from the very beginning and I kept rooting, despite her obvious (and perhaps unwarranted?) insecurities. Fleur's comments could very well be because she simply didn't know that Mark was a muggle, and not necessarily because she doesn't approve of him. Dom seems to self-deprecate quite a bit, and I'll have to read on to determine if there's a REAL disappointment from her parents or if it's just in Dom's head because her siblings are so successful.

My favorite part was the description of her modifying the dress. I've never read (or even considered) using magic to improve fashion and I LOVE that idea. It seems she has a real talent for it and your description of the new dress was great! I could totally envision it! And while she's got some serious abilities in this area, it seems that her family status is struggling because her talents aren't within the upper echelon of what's considered a respectable occupation — that's so sad!

Overall, I think this is a well balanced start to your story and I really want to know what happens next!

Cheers!

~ Beth

And toomanycurls

I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT YOU DID TO MY FEELS WITH THIS. Gah.

Okay, I'll go back to the beginning and try to comment coherantly.

I didn't immediately identify with Dom (not after she threw aside the pants suit! those are my life :P) but I really felt for her not feeling like she's living up to her full potential and not wanting to further disappoint her parents. I was very curious which part would be harder -- the bf aspect or magic.

So, I fell for Mark immediately. I love him to pieces. Between "you're cute all the time" and "I have a family to wow" I just wanted to scoop him up.

Right. Then dinner. *glare*

I loved Dom blurting out about wine and worrying that Bill's scars and like for raw meat would be a bit weird (especially as she hadn't thought of a lie about it first -- I don't know what sort of lie would pass muster though). Also, Bill just sounded right on in the two lines he said.

Mark kept impressing me as he talked about meeting Dom and then. Fluer picked up on the muggle aspect. I'm curious if the mini conference was to confirm a guess that he's a muggle or be judge-y that he's a muggle. I'm disappointed in them if it's the latter.

Victoire kind of made it worse though I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.

THEN THE CONVERSATION OUTSIDE HAPPENED AND MARK OVERHEARD AND LEFT. You need to fix this. Is it fixed in the next chapter??

It's pretty spectacular that you got me shouty in one chapter. I'm usually a shouty reviewer but not right away. Not when I'm new to a story/universe. congrats :P

-Rose

You two rock! <3

I've been meaning to post this one for a while, but I got this review from Paula (PaulaTheProkaryote) on my latest WIP, Whispers in the Dark.

Hi! :)

I have to start this review by saying that the missing moments of Deathly Hallows is probably my favorite to read. I wanted so much more after reading how horribly the Carrows were. They were absolute monsters which made them so addictive. I think you did a really great job capturing them! You made them savage and inhuman, but still perceptive and discerning. Instead of just blindly physically assaulting the students, they prey on their worst fears, on their relationships, on their emotional well-being. They seem pretty apt at breaking the students and it says a lot about Ginny for not breaking yet. She's a true Gryffindor!

I love the way you handled Ginny. I've read quite a few stories where she's more or less a walking bimbo or worse, just a prop to be an object of affection for rivals to duel over. Instead the Ginny you've created is brilliantly sassy and just all around well-written. In the opening scene I felt just as anxious as she does. The descriptors you used for her anxiety like blood pumping through her ears and sweaty palms really demonstrates how terrified she is despite her brave face. I mean, she tried to curse Carrow like it was nothing, knowing full and well there would be even more consequences. That's the Ginny we know and love. She already tried to flee and is talking about being able to take him. You've written her so wonderfully feisty like she's straight from the books. I'm seriously in love with her characterization.

I like that instead of physical abuse (although that's still there) he uses psychological manipulation instead. Obviously Dean (and Harry) is a weakness for her and he's trying to use it to his advantage. It's very clever and exactly what I'd expect from someone like him! I like that you didn't completely disregard Ginny's feelings for Harry despite her obviously caring so much for Seamus. People are more complicated than what some people like to think and the way you've created this dynamic adds so much depth to the story. Plus your version of Seamus is definitely the hero type and we all know Ginny has a thing for hero types!

OH MY GOD THAT ENDING OF THE CHAPTER WAS SO DARK! But so good. Talk about psychological torture for her! Especially the imperius curse because of the fact that she's already had to suffer through possession before. I can't imagine anything worse than losing your ability to control your actions all over again. That was so clever and cruel. Seriously, I'll never get on your bad side.

My favorite line of the chapter was "The real question was whether or not they were stupid enough to risk getting caught to save me." Let's be real, Dumbledore's Army is incredibly Gryffindor slanted and they are impulsive and just a bit too brave for their own good. Of course someone is going to do something stupid. It's in their nature.

I just wanted to say that the flow was very natural. I don't think there was a single spot that didn't feel like it was a natural transition from action to action. The suspense build up was definitely there. When scenes were more suspenseful, you used shorter, choppier sentences which helped me process the information rapidly and move to the next scene. The fact that it took several lines to be sure that the character was Ginny really helped build it up. You did the same thing with the introduction of Seamus and I really think that helped build the suspense. We didn't get very much of Seamus in this chapter so I can't say for sure about him until the next one, but as far as the Carrows and Ginny goes, you've seriously nailed their characterization. I really think you did an excellent job with this chapter and I expect the next one to be up soon! ;)

I may have actually squeed (is that a thing? Can it be a thing?) when I saw it. Thank you again!!  ;D

Just got this incredible review from PaulaTheProkaryoke, on my new WIP Roses In Ash, and it has left me floored <3 <3

First I have to comment on the introductory lines of the story. I had no idea anyone could write writing so beautifully. All of the details and descriptions you gave just really gave the beginning such a delightful feel for me, despite the words themselves which he clearly was struggling with.

I can understand why, with such a hero for a grandfather, he'd be in his shadow. That being said, now I REALLY want a story in his grandfather's timeline. Is it too soon to ask for a spinoff? Also "with a love of Gobstones no one had ever explained" added such a nice, human touch that I don't think I would have thought of. Your entire story is so full of those little details that just really makes the story come to life for me.

I really love the way you describe the physical recovery of the world postwar. The scaffolding at Gringotts, the loss of Fortescue's, all of the cracks in the facade. I think it poetically translated well with the way Hermione seemed okay with her scars covered and the smiles. Rebuilding isn't easy. Moving on isn't either. But we persevere anyway and 'fake it until we make it'. It hurts that Viktor doesn't feel as though he belongs in the mourning, in the restoration. I can't wait for more of his backstory.

I think you REALLY nailed characterizing Hermione. Writing the Golden Trio is always super intimidating to me because we just know them so well that if anything is off it's so evident. I didn't see anything of the sort.

The first one at the cafe. She's very driven despite the exhaustion. The bit about the hope making her vibrant and passionate and her eyes lighting up was just so very Hermione. Along with her worrying and being overly sympathetic. She was always like that with Harry in the books so I think all of this is completely in line with what we'd expect from her.

I think what you've done with Viktor is very intriguing. From the beginning I was hooked on his character. Instead of the intense, passionate person I've often read him as or the absolute dunder head I've also read him as, you've created this brooding, enigmatic person that doesn't really seem to want to be a brooding, enigmatic person. Whatever exactly happened during that year had severely changed who he seemed to be and I'm dying to know more. You've really built up the suspense for it.

I really liked this line "All hope did to Viktor Krum was make him angry, make him restless and bitter and resentful." I think it does a great job highlighting the differences between Viktor and Hermione as both characters and survivors. To me it also ties back in to the conversation we first get from Hermione harping on how it's all about the differences.

I really liked all of the information along the naval theme. We don't really have much information about Durmstrang and what it was like so for you to spend so much time characterizing it and bringing it to life was such a nice part of the story.

I love that when he looks at Hermione his feelings toward the world and the future almost change. She seems to really brighten up his life and because of that I ship it hardcore.

I think the timelines weren't confusing at all. It seemed to flow really well and it made perfect sense. I wouldn't change a single thing about it.

I love the themes you've chosen like racism and blatant prejudice. I feel like it's more relevant now than ever (globally) and I am dying to see more of your development of these themes.

I think this is such a strong start to this story and I really hope that you continue it/let me read more of it. It really has such strong imagery and the story line itself seems so well developed already! Overall, I'd say this was an excellent read!

I just got THE most amazing review from Em (pointlessproclamations) on my story Walking the Line.

This is absolutely fascinating—I was draw into the story by the flow of what appears to be a regular start to schooling at Hogwarts. They all seem so carefree and just lovely human beings that I adore so much already. But I suppose this is all before they dissect gender polarisation and how that affects societal perceptions. The last paragraph really drove that in hard. I adore this story for many reasons. There is a need for more stories that breaks down and provides commentary on the constructed binary. I'm reading ahead and you're already inspiring me to be more aware of gender polarisation when I write—thank you for that.

What should you think of it? Maybe that it's potentially transformative.

100% fantastic.

Seriously, someone saying that my writing is important, inspiring, and changing the way they see things - that's just about the best thing I could ever hope for. Thanks, Em ♥♥♥

This was from an anonymous reviewer, but the very idea of my story made into a physical book is squee-worthy to me! 

I'm doing bookbinding/publishing/Illustration/graphic design in uni atm and I'm going to send you a hand made binded version of this story when it finishes if you want to :D

Eeeep!!

• 3 weeks later...

Liz (SilverMoonFairy/WindingArrow) left me an amazing review for a story I always forget about, This Isn't Control. <333

TAG! Holy crap, TAG! TAG TAG TAG! *salute*

*pants* Whoa, girl! Whoa! This is SO different from anything I've ever read from you before! WHERE HAS IT BEEN HIDING?!

The whole story moves so well- it has an energy, a fast pace. I know it's short, but it was over before I knew what was happening! And a Tom Riddle story to boot! I think we've all wondered at one point or other, 'Did Voldemort ever love?' And here he's slipping. He's faltering and it's what gives the story it's momentum. He's caught, cornered, replacing his face with the carefully constructed mask of polite, "Yes sir." and "Of course, sir." All the while, underneath is roiling, boiling, trying to bubble over as his thoughts race and he wrestles with whatever happened with his girlfriend.

HOLY FREAKING CRAP!

I honest to God never knew you could write like THIS. Your stuff is generally a lot more subdued, slow paced, each detail designed to have lasting effects. You still had that last bit with this story, but you threw it with a CURVING FAST BALL and I'm still trying to figure out where it went.

I don't think I could have stopped reading if I had tried. Good thing I didn't.

I don't even have any technicals. Seriously. WHERE DID THIS COME FROM?!

-Liz

It basically made my night. Thanks!  ;D

Oh my god! No! Poor Matthew :( and poor Albus.. And Scorpius too! I feel like my chest is constring, trying to control the need to get all of the emotions out. This was absolutely horrible, but so beautiful at the same time. Like… The fact that they are getting hurt, and that the people in the magical world are so bigoted is terrible, but the way you write their emotions is beautiful and heartbreaking and it just pulls me straight into the story and has me angry and happy and fighting back tears all at the same time.

You're doing an amazing job. Just keep doing what you are doing, because whatever it is, it's working! Haha

This was from Hufflepuff1990, and it made me feel so amazing and happy! I love it when I can make readers feel like that, and this stuck with me and encouraged me to keep writing this story (which I was super nervous about!) I owe chapter 8 to her/him.

Aph just left me this a while ago...

Hey there - dropping by for review tag! :) So, since you said that the next chapter would be angsty, I decided to drop here instead ;) It helps that I always love out-of-the-box Next Gen pairings - Scorbus and Scorose are lovely but they get dull when that's almost all anyone writes about, you know? - and I've always had a soft spot for more minor characters :) So, yeah, I just had to stop here :)

And I love this - it's so adorable and sweet and fluffy! <3 I love the way you've characterised the two of them: Teddy the terrible, constant flirt who's impressively oblivious almost until the very end, and Fred(die :P), who hates the nickname everyone gives him and doesn't really like Teddy's flirting and isn't perhaps quite brave enough to come out and tell Teddy how he feels - which is sad, but also so human and so normal, and something, I think, pretty much everyone can understand and identify with, you know? They're such wonderful, real characters, and I love the stark differences between them - it gives this lovely sense of how they'd balance each other out, with Teddy being more enthusiastic and high-strung, and Fred more mellow and cautious.

I also gotta say that I adored the repetition of the 'hello' - with Teddy saying it constantly, so flirtatiously to almost everyone he met, except Fred, and Fred knowing that it didn't mean nothing, that it was always the start of a flirt, and being irritated by it. And then at the end, to have Fred say it was so sweet, and I loved the loop round to Fred saying it to Teddy, and the last line - 'it was never just hello' was just so perfect <3

Your writing in this was so good, too - I loved the way you used repetition and your descriptions were so sweet. Your dialogue is always great, of course, so it was here too, and when Teddy was being so earnest and so honest at the end it was so lovely, and so well-written. Like, it all sounded so natural, you know, and the emotions came through so, so well - I really felt for Teddy in that moment. He'd just been oblivious and hadn't thought - it was fun and if it made people feel good, what did it matter? Except then he realised that it did matter to Freddie, who mattered to him, and.... ah, it was just so sweet and so innocent, in a way, because he just didn't know :)

This is a lovely, lovely one-shot :) I'm not usually the biggest fan of fluff, but this is practically perfect <3

Aph xx

I just... xD <3 Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm backing up all of the reviews I've received on HPFF and came across this gem. It isn't technically squee-worthy, so much as heartwarming. It was clearly a very personal review and I will always hold it close to my heart, as cheesy as it sounds. You'll see why.

From Anonymous:

Hey Plums.

I was going to leave an anonymous review, then I wasn't, then I was, then I wasn't. In the end, as you can see, I've chosen to be anonymous, and this is because I want to be honest with you and your story, and I really hope it's okay. If not, ah... Sorry!

And here's where the honesty comes in; my best friend died when I was sixteen and, eventually, I wanted to kill myself over it.

So, as you can see, your story has really resonated with me. I'm not sure if you have any experience with suicide or if you just took a plunge writing this about Lavender, let me tell you that you were tasteful and you were honest. I was frozen, eyes glued to my computer screen the whole time, wondering how you had captured the feeling of extreme hopelessness and emptiness in a HPFF.

I think it was the memories that really did it to me. You forget, sometimes, I think, about how a single death can affect a huge amount of people, so I'm glad you wrote this about Lavender. But I had the same memories with my friend, even the planning of our weddings and futures and children. I once predicted she'd have twin boys, and now I'll never know.

I'm overjoyed that you've ended the story on a high note - I'll admit, I was worried she wasn't going to make it for a bit there!

And I'm sorry if this story was just meant to be a challenge entry, but at least now you know that your story has affected at least one person in a huge way, and that I'm grateful to have read something so real.

So, you wonderful talented (probably shocked) Plums,

Thank you.

<3 <3 <3

From Zelly (at AO3) on my one shot called Summer Vacation

This made me so happy. It was just simple and sweet and it was just teeth rotting fluff I love it.

That's probably the best review I've ever received even though it was so short.

WindingArrow has left me so many kind reviews while reading etc. etc. (and life goes on)! She had fic soundtracks and everything going on. I love her reactions:

I was laughing so hard at work, I needed to hold onto a table to stand up.

I also just got one at ao3 that had this (the rest of the review has too much language ha):

I wanna imprint your prose on the back of my eyelids

Rumpel left me SO many amazing reviews on Saving Severus Snape at AO3, but this one was my fav. Rumpel's reviews are the bestest!! *squishes*

I always feel like I should start a review with some sort of witty greeting. Just pretend I did that.

Aw, don't feel too down Hermione, Snape'll come around. Consistent gentle pestering should do the trick ;) (don't mind me, I like speaking directly to the characters). I love the slow progression that this has been taking, because it does make it realistic. Regardless if Snape actually enjoyed her company or not, it would still take a lot of warming up before someone like Snape starts to become great company.

Yeah, Hermione needs a dose of Felix Felicis, but I'm also kind of relieved about its omission. Having liquid luck sure would've sped things up, but the struggle and frustration is half the fun! Having been paired with Snape for Potions was clever. Hermione's learned from the best (the future Snape, himself, who -- after the years -- is much more skilled in the area than teenage Snape, though that Snape is already quite skilled). It's like an official 'breaking-the-ice' moment. What's more fun, and probably more intriguing for Snape, was that Hermione was able to create a perfect potion (and Snape completely owned up to not helping her, which was nice).

Warming up to Snape might take more than a week.. yeah ^.^ . I'm still in favor of operation bug-him-until-he-accepts-friendship. :P

Otto, Edgar, Hermione, and Amelia -- it's the AU friendship meant to be (given she didn't have Harry and Ron). It just feels so natural, that it's hard to imagine them not being part of the same group. All time travel pieces where Hermione travels back to the Marauders era must now have the Otto-Edgar-Hermione-Amelia friendship group.

Rita and Lockheart's PDA is... certainly gag-worthy. I was waiting for the pet names and sweetheart talk. They're almost too perfect together, and seem to be on the same page as far as showcasing their relationship is concerned. In the very least, it keeps Rita distracted from bothering Hermione with her onslaught of questions.

Amelia and Remus are adorable together (though they aren't really together yet). The idea that Hermione's interactions naturally in this time have ALREADY affected the future is a fun prospect -- that she was always destined to do this.

*squishes Meg and this fanfic* So. MUCH. Good. *squish*

-Rumpel[/Quote]

I got this amazing review from Rose (toomanycurls) last night, off of my newest one-shot, Restoring Peace.  I was kind of nervous about this story, and it's pretty close to my heart because it's based off of two of my favorite original characters I've ever written, so this review pretty much left me speechless.

I love this. Like, I love this more than Pure Intentions. You have written the perfect Scorbus/Scorose triangle. *bows down*

You've done a brilliant job with the tension between Scorpius and Rose after... them not getting together and I like that it wasn't quite how I assumed from the start. I presumed they had been in a romantic relationship then scorpius found his feels for Al but it's even more stabby to the feels!! Man oh man, I love that Rose had fallen for Scorpius and that her love was unrequited. I kind of feel like her reaction was more of her being hurt that he didn't love her, not a rejection of him being gay. It's hard to unravel the two but I think it was more about her rejection than his sexuality.

I like that Albus was the go-between and helped get Rose to talk to Scorpius. I felt like they would have gone on not talking forever. I can't really blame her for staying she can't just be friends with him, I'm sure it felt like that at first. It's nice to see that might change at the end though.

The feelings and relationship in this are so complex. While Rose is going on about loving someone who didn't love her back, I can't help but wonder if that's the boat Albus thought he was in until Scorpius came out. It seems he's a bit more mature than she is, as he was not about to rock the boat over unrequited feelings.

This is amazing!

-Rose

I just... I still haven't figured out how to respond to the review yet because it's amazing. THANK YOU <33

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm answering a couple of reviews and this one was on Chapter Eight of Dormitory 2.6A. It's actually such a great review by pinkpanther16 on HPFF and YOU WILL SEE WHY.

Ok, first of all, your writing is always amazing! I love it to death. But this chapter? Probably one of the best on this site. I love how you incorporated real problems like racism and eating disorders and self esteem into the story. Its so dumb that people can't even talk about that kind of thing in real life without being attacked or silenced. And the maturity that you used in your writing and how you had the characters deal with it was spot on. (Well, maybe not the kidnapping, but it was still pretty funny.) Just, everything about this was pure gold. I'm sad that there's only two more chapters, but all good things must come to an end, right? I can't wait for them though! I'm excited to see how it all resolves. :)

Probably one of the best on this site. Probably one of the best on this site. WHAT A SWEETHEART.

This review from Aphoride on Dear Myrtle is just ♥♥♥♥

Hey there Kristin! :) Dropping by for the Gift Tag Competition! :) The story's still coming, but it's slower than I thought, and since I'm going on holiday for two weeks in five days and it might not be finished before then, I didn't want to leave you without a gift, so here I am! :)

Okay, so I love this story. I don't know why I never read it before, or why it's been so, so long since I've dropped by your author page (something I'm so glad I got to remedy today, at least! :P), because seriously it's amazing. Honestly, it's so good - and it's so bittersweet and so wonderful that it's essentially becoming headcanon for me ;) And I can totally see why and how it came second in the Writer's Duel - don't doubt that you deserved it! :) I remember reading a bunch of the entries, and this one is right up there with the best of them ;)

I love the way you've constructed this, with the letters and the glimpses of Myrtle and Olive at school together - how they start off as apart from the other girls, because they're both Muggleborn, how they bond over books and reading and being 'boring', and then Olive wants in on the 'fun' stuff, the parties and the friendships with the other girls and Myrtle gets left behind. I loved the way there's such a cruel edge to becoming friends with people in this - and how this story really exposes that, and it's so realistic because I saw it so often at school, tbh - with Olive almost having to be mean to Myrtle in order to become friends with Betty and Wilma, and her not understanding that Myrtle feels left out, probably left behind too and not really trying to find out why Myrtle's upset and getting more spiteful. I think friendship in fic often tends to be portrayed as fluffy and sweet, or with problems being usually not the main character's fault, and I love that you've moved away from that in this :)

You actually make me feel sorry for Olive in this, too - and I gotta say, I love that you do that, because I love stories which make you see a character in a totally new way and that's exactly what you've done! Like, Olive is horrible to Myrtle - she bullies her and has a hand in Myrtle's death though she's not fully responsible, and of course it's that much worse because they were friends before, you know - but she's also nice to her at the beginning, and as things change, they both change, and Myrtle doesn't really explain what's going on to Olive, and it all sort of explodes in the way teenage friendships tend to do. It makes the whole thing that much more tragic, that Olive never could apologise to Myrtle because Myrtle won't accept it, and it doesn't count the same because Myrtle's dead, and so neither of them gets any kind of closure and their relationship haunts them both, almost, until Olive dies and Myrtle maybe finds some peace after that - but maybe not even then for her :(

I love the way you write them, though. I find teenagers so hard to do, haha - mine all tend to sound way older than they really are! :P - but you do them so perfectly. They feel and sound young, and not really understanding things well, and having that kind of self-centered sort of phase teenagers go through where they're all kinda moody and upset and get angry easily and often. They're so real, and so familiar at times, haha. I love how you don't shy away from giving them flaws, either, with the moodiness and the being rude in order to get friends, even at the expense of another friendship - though neither of them really knew how final that would be at the time - and how jealous and petty Myrtle is, even after death.

Your writing is so lovely, too - I love the ease with which you seem to write, how lovely your dialogue is. Your word choice is always so perfect, for the characters and the era and their ages and just everything. It's a real skill and I'm so jealous, and you do it so, so well :) The addition of the letters is so, so sweet and they tie everything together so perfectly - I love how the letters continue after Myrtle's dead, and even after Olive knows she can't read. It's like it's the only way Olive can try and get some closure for herself :(

So I have smashed through the character limit, haha, so I gotta go, but this was amazing!

Aph xx

I recently received two reviews that are definitely squeeworthy...

From Em (pointlessproclamations) on my story Fire and Ice (aka the icyhot story)

In this story, you have concisely and intelligently captured the intricacies of misattribution theory of arousal. Indeed, the enlightening content of this piece is transcendent. Scorpius Malfoy incorrectly attributing his heated and tingling lips to the stimulus known as Rose rather than the stimulus known as Fire and Ice Potion makes for a fascinating case study. We plainly see how the true stimulus leading to a well-identified physical reaction being interpreted in Malfoy's brain as emotions he labels as attraction—an excellent show of stimulus-physical reaction-labeling theory. I have never encountered such elegance in the entirety of my lifetime.

and from my beloved Jem Carstairs which sounded a bit suspicious to me  ;)

Good morning, Paula.

A very happy birthday to you! I wish you all the very best for the year ahead of you. I, too, am now at the mercy of that wicked witch that is age, so perhaps we can assist each other on the journey.

I have also heard of you and Plums' proclamations of love for me, and though I am flattered, I am afraid my heart belongs to another. (I hear Mortmain just needs a small amount of love, though. Perhaps he would make a better suitor? I jest, of course!)

Tessa has insisted I inform you that she very much enjoys reading your works, and as a woman who reads at every opportunity she gets, I am inclined to trust her judgement. Will is also hissing in my ear to tell you you look beautiful today. Although he is my parabatai, we do not always agree to things, but this is one fact in which I have no doubt. You are a wonderful woman who brings a smile to the face of many a HPFF member.

(Will told me earlier that the abbreviation means Hariy People Forever Fluffy, and that Gabriel Lightwood was the founder. Tessa kindly told me this was not the case, and Cecily told Will a little less kindly that Gabriel has not a hair on his chest, to which I then had to stop Will from setting fire to his ears.)

Happy birthday once more,

Love,

Jem.

So the lovely SaneSusie has been leaving me some pretty fantastic reviews on A Box of Chocolates, but this one has left me giggling for the last half hour. ;D

Hello LooneyLizzie!

I’m back and sobbing that this is the last available chapter (you’re cruel, you know that?)

Well, I can't really blame Lia for reacting the way she did. That's a lot to deal with and she's facing her feelings head on. Not to mention her best friend was almost exposed to magic and kinda hates her at the moment. And is there anything worse than broken toes? Nope. I once broke my toes on a mop bucket. Long story. She might have anger issues. Fred is a pretty reliable judge of character anyway.

I think James Stupid Potter actually has a really nice ring to it. Sirius is atrocious.

I've said this before, but to me love potions could be just as bad as slipping something into drinks. Absolutely completely dangerous and not at all funny (even though this story was hilarious).

SHE IS TOO A PRINCESS. A WARRIOR PRINCESS OF RAGE AND DESTRUCTION.

I’m secretly chanting loudly PENNY AND LEO and banging on the table because her feelings must be super strong for him to be such a distraction even under a love potion this strong! Ugh, you’ve done such an excellent job making me cheer for all of these characters. I want them happy. Everyone deserves to be happy!

I can't blame Penny's reaction. I'd probably have done the same. That much deception in a friendship combined with the manipulation of her feelings by the potion would be enough for anyone.

And how in the world can Lia be with James if he's the reason she's losing her best friend?

Even if I won’t be SaneSusie by the time you update the story, I can’t wait for it! It’s going to be absolutely amazing! I can’t wait to see where you take it! Will James repair their friendship? Will it be Lia? Penny? Leo? OR WILL THEY NEVER BE FRIENDS AGAIN? (I can’t bear that thought so let’s not make that happen, okay? Excellent).

Yours truly,

SaneSusie.

• 2 weeks later...

So, Khaleesi/celticbard just left me the best review on my short story Tell Me Who You Are. I have to omit most of it for spoiler reasons, but it totally made my day!

I'm back for more Dom/Mark goodness. Although there doesn't seem to be much goodness for them in this chapter. Oh dear. What a terrible mess they've both gotten themselves into. I feel really, really bad for both of them, which is actually a great thing, because you've truly made me care for these characters.

[Taken out for spoilers.]

Oh and this is a bit of a side note, but I just wanted to tell you how amazing your banners are, not only for this fic, but for your others too. You are not only a talented writer, but a very, very skilled artist as well. :)

Again, I'm so glad I found this story and have had the chance to read it. I think you've done a wonderful job with this fic and the subject matter. It certainly is no easy task Dom has ahead of her, if she decides to try to win Mark's heart back. I certainly hope she does, because I'm really looking forward to seeing just how their relationship goes. Great writing, Liz. You've truly done a fabulous job here.

Thank you, Lee! I want to cry. <3

This morning I woke up to one of the most amazing AO3 comments that I've ever gotten from someone I don't know. It's short, but it definitely made my day:

I've read this before' date=' but I just rediscovered it and had to leave a review. You just got all of the characters so perfectly and you currently have me ordering the books from amazon so I can reread them.[/quote']

It's for an incredibly small fandom - I have posted on of only two fics for it on AO3, and that comment about buying the books to re-read them is one of the most gratifying things I've ever been told as a writer. : D

Though they were all requested (and I won't put them here), all of the reviews Paula(TheProkaryote) has left me are most definitely squee worthy! My insides tighten and I smile very wide, because Paula is a very amazing reviewer.

Everything about this review from Aphoride is squee-worthy. My jaw dropped when I read it, thank you thank you :D

(It's AO3 for my Whispers in the Dark prologue!)

Hey Jill! :) So I should probably say from the outset that I'm very much a canon-pairings-in-the-end girl, haha, so Seamus/Ginny is a little new and strange for me - but, tbh, this is probably the best place to start looking at that pairing ;)

I love the scenario you've taken for the prologue - I hate doing them personally, haha, because they're so hard and such a pain, but sometimes they feel right - it's so tense and so emotive, and I love the way you use it to hint at something going on - emotionally, maybe more-than-emotionally, if you know what I mean ;) - between Ginny and Seamus and how it's developed over the time that's gone on. Plus, all the suggestions of just how horrible Hogwarts is under the Carrows, and how all the things which we were sort of told about in the books when the Trio got to Hogwarts happened: Seamus getting pretty badly hurt, Ginny being one of the ringleaders, the Carrows being in charge of 'discipline'. It's so clever of you to start with such a canon-compliant sort of moment and lead into the non-canon stuff, with the relationship, and it's really got me hooked :P

Your Ginny and Seamus are great, too - I love how Ginny's so fiery and probably is a little bit bitter about the fact that she doesn't know where Harry is or what he's up to, it's so in character for her and gives such a lovely depth to her character, you know, especially when you add in potential confusing feelings for Seamus. And how Seamus has to come and try and rescue her and get caught, or still go out even knowing that the Carrows will just get him anyway - it's the kind of stupidly brave bravery, haha, which he did kinda seem to have at times in the books and I love it. I love how the Carrows seem to know so much about what's going on between them, or are just assuming they're friends so they'll stand up for each other (or have seen them do it like a hundred times and know it'll happen again), and take advantage of it. It's so cruel, turning love and friendship into a weakness, but it's kinda scary and clever :/ Ugh... Carrows...

Your writing in this is so good. You do the tension and the emotions - the anger, the fear, the defiance, the heartbreak at the end - all so, so well, and they come through the story so clearly and so strongly. It's a real gift - it reads so easily in your writing, which isn't as easy as it can seem to the reader, and I love that. Your dialogue is so good, too - teach me how you do it! Please?! :P I struggle with dialogue so much - it's tricky to find the right words and phrasing for different characters, and you do it so well here. You've got Ginny perfectly, and the Carrows are so good - with the demands and the not-quite rhetorical questions.

Ahhh this is so good - I really wanna read more, but I gotta go do some more work (boo), but imma definitely look out for you in the review tag and things, because I've got to come back to this soon! :)

Aph xx