Ravenclaw: 1560
Gryffindor: 1559
Hufflepuff: 1198
Slytherin: 892

Updated May 2017

Affiliates

Shadowplay

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Calendar

June 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
[25] 26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Latest Members

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently
Alopex

Author (Read 162 times)

Alopex
« on: February 01, 2017, 09:28:37 PM »

Alopex

• Headmaster
  • Fifth Year
    • Alopex99/
    • Ravenclaw

Hey everyone.  Foxes are my favorite animal, hence the username (Alopex lagopus is the scientific name for the arctic fox).  Most people shorten my username to Alo.  You can also call me Holly.

I'm a Montana native, but I haven't lived there since I was 9 years old.  Currently, I live in Texas, which is my fifth state.  I still am grumpy about the climate here.  It's too hot, and there is no real winter!  So far, my favorite place to live has been the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, on the shore of Lake Superior.

I have loved maps since I was a kid, and my day job is doing GIS (geographic information systems) for a small forestry company.  Basically this means I handle all the mapping and mapping-related-info/data.

For fun, I really enjoy dancing, with contra dancing being one of my favorite kinds.  If you don't know what that is, I'm happy to talk about it and highly recommend you look up some videos, because it's very fun. :P

Some other random facts:
-Alexander Graham Bell is my favorite historical figure.
-I don't really write fanfiction (it has literally been years since I wrote anything new)
-I enjoy baking and cooking
-I've got a soft spot for Percy Weasley
TEAM ORANGE KEEPER

Re: Alopex
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 10:01:24 PM »

StarFeather

• Gryffindor
  • Fourth Year
  • Hallo, folks. I'm Kenny.
    • StarFeather
    • 5852385/
    • Gryffindor

Hi, Holly! (The first time to call you 'Holly' do I?)

When I was a kid, I don't know why I liked coloring all green over the map of Scotland. Now I'm working on making one map for Gryffies. If you have any tools to make maps for fun, please tell me.

My imagination is Texas has a huge land. Do you have solar panels there?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 11:57:58 PM by StarFeather »

awesome signature by Asphodelic

My Story at HPFT
Ao3 ffnet

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 10:55:21 PM »

Alopex

• Headmaster
  • Fifth Year
    • Alopex99/
    • Ravenclaw

Hi Kenny!  Yes, I think it's the first time you may be using my first name.  In the past, I often haven't shared it publicly, or everyone is so used to calling me Alo.

For map-making tools, it really depends what level of mapping you are doing.  If you're doing something more GIS-based and you need real-world accuracy, then QGIS is an open-source program that I like.  However, that's more for GIS users who already have some familiarity.  You can learn it from scratch, but it will take a little bit of studying or reading tutorials.

You can also do some mapping with service such as Google Maps/Google Earth (importing your own data and essentially using their basemaps).  There are some online tools as well.  For example, ZeeMaps.

Finally, there are other software programs geared toward creating fantasy maps for games and such.  Campaign Cartographer is one example.

Some people also just draw/sketch maps using Adobe Illustrator, GIMP, or even just PowerPoint.

Yes, Texas is pretty large.  It is the second-largest state in the US, second only to Alaska.  I live on the very eastern edge of it.  Japan is about 55% the size of Texas.  There is a great potential here for both solar and wind power, but Texas is known for the oil industry.  There are some solar and wind farms, though.  I personally do not see solar panels on houses very often.  The power company I chose pledges to get a certain percentage of its power from wind.
TEAM ORANGE KEEPER

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 01:05:25 AM »

Stella Blue

• Hufflepuff
  • Third Year
  • Mad Scientist
    • stellablue29/
    • StellaBlue
    • 7731464/
    • Hufflepuff

CONTRA DANCING.
CONTRA DANCING!!
I don't think I knew this about you and this is very exciting to learn because it's also my favorite dance. HIGH FIVE FOR CONTRA DANCING. IT IS THE BEST.

Sorry about the spammy post I'm just really excited :P
wonderful signature by mockingjay @tda

hpffao3q&a

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 02:25:27 AM »

Alopex

• Headmaster
  • Fifth Year
    • Alopex99/
    • Ravenclaw

Woot! Another contra dancer!! *Bounces*  Do you get to do it regularly? My closest contra currently is 2 hours away and is tiny. We're lucky if 8 couples show up. :/
TEAM ORANGE KEEPER

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 11:16:41 PM »

Stella Blue

• Hufflepuff
  • Third Year
  • Mad Scientist
    • stellablue29/
    • StellaBlue
    • 7731464/
    • Hufflepuff

Quote from: Alopex
Woot! Another contra dancer!! *Bounces*  Do you get to do it regularly? My closest contra currently is 2 hours away and is tiny. We're lucky if 8 couples show up. :/
Aw :( That's too bad that you only have a small one kind of far away! I don't get to do it that regularly anymore either, as I often live in the middle of nowhere. It's been a few years since I was able to go to contra regularly, but when I was in college we had an on campus contra dance group that regularly hosted dances and there were also a few nearby community folk dance groups that we'd coordinate with. Since then I think I've done more square dancing than contra (that's more popular where I live now), but I miss it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 01:45:45 AM by Alopex »
wonderful signature by mockingjay @tda

hpffao3q&a

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 03:20:14 PM »

StarFeather

• Gryffindor
  • Fourth Year
  • Hallo, folks. I'm Kenny.
    • StarFeather
    • 5852385/
    • Gryffindor

Hi, Holly! I stopped by to say thank you during CTF and your contribution for the members on the forums.

From lions with love.

awesome signature by Asphodelic

My Story at HPFT
Ao3 ffnet

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 01:45:06 AM »

Alopex

• Headmaster
  • Fifth Year
    • Alopex99/
    • Ravenclaw

I am sorry for the very late reply.  I appreciate the love very much, Kenny!  <3
TEAM ORANGE KEEPER