News Ticker

Site Suggestions and Feedback

WriteYourHeartOut

FFT is an amazing community, but bumps in the road are still bound to happen, especially because we often try out new ideas that may or may not work out as perfectly as planned. Whether they're new ideas or old ones - or even things we haven't tried yet at all - you can make the site better with your suggestions!

You can make suggestions about the archive, the forums, our events, or our social media. If you would prefer to remain anonymous, you can check out our anonymous feedback form +here.

Please post your suggestions here rather than starting a new thread; if the staff feel it's warranted, we will move the conversation to its own topic.

Edited by BellaoftheStrangeSnowfall

Suggested by Jo Raskoph:

First of all: this is all wonderful and it's so nice of you to allow suggestions :)

For the rat race section I have always missed a place where I could look for others who wanted to race and to agree on a general time frame for races to take place.

It could be something simple like:

I'd love to race this Saturday afternoon. Does anyone else have time between about 2pm to 7pm (gmt)?

OR:

I'm hoping to get a lot done this weekend and would love to race - is anyone around who has time and when would be convenient for you?

On the old forums I hardly managed to join races unless they were planned on Twitter and planning like this would be very handy for me and probably for others too :)

What do you think?

Just started this - is that something people will find helpful? (I can delete it, if not! :P)

I'm wondering if there's already a way to ask for review swaps that I haven't found?

I've just created this topic to address this!

Swaps can of course also be negotiated privately via PM or off-site or among buddies here at HPFT using the wall function.

I was wondering if it'd be possible to somehow include a World Clock along the lines of something similar to what we used to have around HC time but only on a permanent basis at some point?  As I can only speak for myself, I found it immensely helpful in many aspects  (but it doesn't have to be as HUGE as that thing was lol). 

Just an idea - thank you! :)

Done -Alo

Hey, I was thinking - could we possibly start a birthday reviews thread? I'd start it myself, but I think a mod needs to do it in order to edit the masterlist. :D

Hey, I was thinking - could we possibly start a birthday reviews thread? I'd start it myself, but I think a mod needs to do it in order to edit the masterlist. :D

This sounds like a fine idea to me. I'll set one up. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Since there are no more blogs, I think a place to really present challenge results would be nice.

I first thought this could be done by keeping the challenge threads around until after the results are posted – but I imagine this might get cluttered. Maybe a subforum-area for challenge results?

I just read the challenge rules again, but I'm tired and if I missed a part where this was already specified I'm very sorry and hope you forgive me.

Jo, you might be thinking of a topic like this one: Challenge Hall of Fame. :) We actually now require members to post here before they begin a new challenge (unless it's the first one they've ever hosted) to ensure that members are judging the entries of their previous challenge before opening a new one.

Just to add onto that, you can also submit a post to our tumblr here with a more detail announcement, if you would like to! (You don't need a tumblr account, just your name and email address.) If you use tumblr and would prefer to post it to your own account, just message us the link so we don't miss it and we'd be happy to reblog it. :)

Not sure if this is possible because I have no clue about coding, but is there anyway to make it easier to copy paste things on this site? Last night, during my epic recommendation spree, I noticed that when I copy pasted a rec. from one thread to the other, I lost all of the coding for links, bolds, underlines, italics, etc.

It just makes it really tedious/difficult.

I mean I created a rec. masterlist in a word doc for my computer once I realized that it didn't copy coding, but I just didn't know if it was fixable.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any way to fix that particular problem. I have taken to copying the post with the code before I do so in the thread so I have it pre-coded for the next thread personally. It's something we can keep our eyes peeled for that if a solution can be found or becomes available by way of a mod.

This isn't a fabulous fix, but if you C&P before you post, the tags are still there.  Also if you're within your edit window, you could try to C&P from that.  ???

Just to be the third staffer to get in on Kaitlin's question... In the top right corner of every reply in a thread, for me, are a couple buttons. The "modify" button is there, as is a button that says "Quote" which, when I click on it, gives me a handy window which lets me quote any post, formatting and all. If you have that available to you as a member, it should do exactly what you're hoping for.

Here's what it looks like for me:

pic1.png

Would it be possible to have a section where we could request stories from other authors? I think it would go well in the Writer's Nest subforum.

I'm not sure if this is possible in terms of coding, or if this is already something that's been tried and vetoed, but one of the things I really liked about the old site was the feed on the side that had status updates - it really promoted conversation and made it easy to organize review swaps and publicise story updates (I know there are threads for both of those topics here but they're often more hidden/not as often seen as that feed). Is it possible to have something similar to that on HPFT?

Thanks!

Would it be possible to have a section where we could request stories from other authors? I think it would go well in the Writer's Nest subforum.

Olivia! We are looking into how to best implement this within the current set-up of the forums. We hope to have some action soon on that front.

I'm not sure if this is possible in terms of coding, or if this is already something that's been tried and vetoed, but one of the things I really liked about the old site was the feed on the side that had status updates - it really promoted conversation and made it easy to organize review swaps and publicise story updates (I know there are threads for both of those topics here but they're often more hidden/not as often seen as that feed). Is it possible to have something similar to that on HPFT?

Thanks!

Kristin! This is something that the staff and in particular our wonderful admins have looked into in some detail as it is a very popular request. Unfortunately, at the moment, there do not seem to be mods available that would allow us to maintain the core forum structure and still have status updates that operate as they did at HPFF. We're keeping our eyes peeled to see if that changes or if we can find some assistance from a true coder who may be able to make this a reality.

I will take the opportunity to point out that while it doesn't work as perfectly and isn't as readily visible either, a semi-equivalent system does exist via the "general" wall, which you can enable using the steps outlined in this knowledge base article. Again, it's not the same, but it does allow a more public viewing of communications that may be able to serve a similar purpose for us if more users are aware of it. For swaps and story updates specifically, we do have the threads, as you mentioned and though not perfect, they should let people publicize those things - and increasingly effectively once people know where to look. Do you think a Knowledge Base article about Review Swaps would be helpful to direct more attention to that thread?

Kristin! This is something that the staff and in particular our wonderful admins have looked into in some detail as it is a very popular request. Unfortunately, at the moment, there do not seem to be mods available that would allow us to maintain the core forum structure and still have status updates that operate as they did at HPFF. We're keeping our eyes peeled to see if that changes or if we can find some assistance from a true coder who may be able to make this a reality.

I will take the opportunity to point out that while it doesn't work as perfectly and isn't as readily visible either, a semi-equivalent system does exist via the "general" wall, which you can enable using the steps outlined in this knowledge base article. Again, it's not the same, but it does allow a more public viewing of communications that may be able to serve a similar purpose for us if more users are aware of it. For swaps and story updates specifically, we do have the threads, as you mentioned and though not perfect, they should let people publicize those things - and increasingly effectively once people know where to look. Do you think a Knowledge Base article about Review Swaps would be helpful to direct more attention to that thread?

Hey Kevin, thanks for answering! That knowledge base article kind of brought up a followup question for me - I've had the general wall enabled, but have never been able to find that wall (in fact, until reading that post, I thought it was the same as the personal wall). Maybe that could be something to add into that article in case anyone else has had the same issue - where to find the general wall on the site.

As for your last question about directing attention to the Review Swap thread, a knowledge base article could be really useful for that if it's posted in a high traffic area on the site. Knowledge base articles are another thing I didn't know about until just now, so I don't know how often they get seen by people (though it's 100% possible that other people are better at navigating website than I am :P ) The review swap thread is located in an intuitive place, though, which is nice for anyone specifically looking for the thread - it's right where you'd expect it should be.

Thanks for your follow-up feedback Kristin! I have edited both the Knowledge Base articles on "Enabling the Wall(s)" and "On-Site Communication" to discuss the "general" wall in more detail as well as the easiest way to find it.

I have also created a topic in the Site Resources & Help section with links to all Knowledge Base articles in case users cannot find it or just don't happen to discover it. We'll keep that updated as new Knowledge Base articles become necessary or as we modify the Knowledge Base to better serve everybody!

I hope this is the right place to put this but I couldn't find a 'report bugs' thread :( .

I'm not sure if anyone else is having this issue or if it's just me but whenever I login to the site on my PC, it redirects me to try to login again as if I typed my password wrong.  No matter how slowly and carefully I type my password in, it does this 9 out of 10 times whereas when I login on my phone, it's never done it. 

Just wanted to bring it to someone's attention as it seems a bit weird to me.  Thank you for all you guys do for us! <3

I hope this is the right place to put this but I couldn't find a 'report bugs' thread :( .

I'm not sure if anyone else is having this issue or if it's just me but whenever I login to the site on my PC, it redirects me to try to login again as if I typed my password wrong.  No matter how slowly and carefully I type my password in, it does this 9 out of 10 times whereas when I login on my phone, it's never done it. 

Just wanted to bring it to someone's attention as it seems a bit weird to me.  Thank you for all you guys do for us! <3

Bug reports thread is here.  :)  http://hpfanfictalk.com/index.php?topic=299.0

I haven't experienced the problem you've described myself nor heard any other complaints about it.  Please be sure you've cleared your cache and also try it on different themes/skins.  If anyone else is experiencing this problem, please report it here as well.

Okay I don't know it it is possible or not and there is 100% no rush, but I've noticed whenever I make a post instead of staying in the thread so I can see the post added the forums immediately takes me to the parent form.

Like when I finish this post instead of staying in this thread to see the post in the thread, I will automatically be bumped to the forum where I can see what threads are in Site Resources & Help forum.

If I'm alone in not liking it or if it can't be fixed cool. (Also if this is a personal setting I'm going to feel real sheepish)  But yeah it would be nice in my opinion to stay in the thread instead of jumping to the forum after I make a post.

Bug reports thread is here.  :)  http://hpfanfictalk.com/index.php?topic=299.0

I haven't experienced the problem you've described myself nor heard any other complaints about it.  Please be sure you've cleared your cache and also try it on different themes/skins.  If anyone else is experiencing this problem, please report it here as well.

I dunno if it's slightly the same, but my tablet is being a pain about passwords as well. Or at least, it used to when the CR's still had passwords. Forcing me to enter it over and over again and sending me back constantly. Haven't checked since, but if you want me to, I can try! But then again, I remember HPFT being a pain on my tablet in general...

And I dunno if we're allowed to answer questions but Marshal, there is some kind of option in your personal settings for it somewhere.