News Ticker

Canon Compliance

TidalDragon

You have the Lexicon. You have the Wiki. You've even got every single book in the entire Potterverse stacked up around you like the walls of a fortress. But for those tough-to-find facts or quotes or even worse, canonical gray areas, you need something more - you need a community.

Here you can pose questions about a proposed path, plot point, scene, or situation and hear from your friends, the HPFT faithful, whether they think it's canon compliant or not. Just follow the rules below when making your queries.

Rules

[*]This topic is for specific questions only - please do not post a synopsis of your entire chapter or story and ask whether people think it's canon compliant. That's what beta readers are for. ;)

[*]Out of courtesy to other members who may want to use the thread, please don't ask more than three (3) questions at a time. Please don't double-post or include multiple questions in a single sentence to try and work around this rule.

[*]If you feel snippets are necessary to provide other members context, they are permitted, but we impose a limit of two hundred (200) words total, regardless of the number of questions.

[*]In posing your question, try to help the community out by indicating which sources you consider canon.

• 1 month later...
Guest pookha

Do you believe it is canon that Lavender Brown died at the battle of Hogwarts? I believe this was canon, but it seems that JKR may have had a change of heart?  Anyone know for sure?

I never read her as dying in the book, but from what I understand - I don't remember - she does in the film? And it can be read as such in the book, as Harry doesn't check on her after she's attacked by Greyback. But I don't think Greyback would have intentionally killed her so quickly, doesn't he like to play with his food?

The last that is mentioned of her is that her body is "feebly stirring" (DH 519, British version).

I never imagined she died because contrary to the others we saw getting into battle / injured, she isn't mentionned as a dead body in the Great Hall (like Colin for example). Being a recurent character in the series, I would think that if she'd died, Harry would have noticed her and it would have been mentionned, no matter if he wasn't a total fan of hers :D

#confession: I haven't read the books in a few years.

Do you think that - in Goblet of Fire - Arthur and Molly knew about the Triwizard Tournament because Arthur worked at the Ministry, or do you think that a lot of the parents knew about it because they sent warning to families beforehand? I feel like I'm remembering this vaguely and incorrectly, but didn't Lucius Malfoy also know (and Draco brag about?). Do you think it would be feasible/believable that other wizardparents of Hogwarts children would know about it?

Lucius Malfoy knew through his contacts at the Ministry. It was very hush, hush. But a few other parents who also worked in relevant departments of the ministry probably knew. Why Arthur's department was relevant eludes me, though...

Yep, Lucius knew through Ministry contacts - it was super-top-secret, though. I don't know why Arthur's job would necessarily have been involved - although given that they had to inform the Muggle Minister they were bringing in a bunch of dragons, etc. for the tasks, it's not impossible? But also Percy was working for Barty Crouch Sr at the time, who was intimately involved in the whole thing, from beginning to end, and helped set it all up, so it's possible that before Percy split from the family, they heard from him? Since he'd definitely have known.

But it's never exactly said why/how they know.

I could almost see it being Charlie who tells his family about the Tournament - he is one of the dragon keepers that accompanies the dragons, so it would make sense for him to know early on.  Maybe there are other families with similar connections not directly related to the Ministry?

I agree with others that it is interesting to consider Arthur finding out as a Ministry worker considering his department shouldn't be involved...and there is the line where Draco teases Ron for his father being too "junior" to know about it...while I know this is Draco trying to get a rise out of Ron, it just leads me to believe the event is very secretive even within the Ministry...

While I think it would make sense for the school to inform families (particularly with kids old enough to enter)...Hogwarts doesn't strike me as the type of school to do things like that...LOL

Hey, so, does anyone know how long the effects of Veritaserum last?

I definitely agree that the Weasleys must have known because of Charlie and his role with bringing the Dragons.

Also people at the ministry might have heard about it because of everything that was involved (the animals, the internationnal relations with other schools, changing the rules / laws...) Most departments would have been involved in some way.

Hey, so, does anyone know how long the effects of Veritaserum last?

Well, that probably depends on the ammount of the potion injested. (But then again, in OOTP Snape can seem to imply that the ammount used doesn't matter as long as it's over three drops.) We only see the potion used once (with three drops!), when Barty Crouch Jr is interrogted. He has time to tell all his story, and then he faints again, which probably has nothing to do with the potion. That makes it hard to tell whether it was still active or not. So I don't think there are any indications in Canon how long Veritaserum lasts. My guess would be a few hours at the absolute highest, probably less.

• 9 months later...

Hi :) I was wondering if we have any information on who got sorted to Slytherin (or as a matter of fact to any other house) in 1996 - the year of the Half-blood Prince book. Harry missed the sorting ceremony that year, and I don't know if we have any other source for first year students that year. (I'm currently writing a story where the protagonist would be one that got sorted in that year, and it would be good if I could include some of her classmates from canon.) Thank you!

I consider everything canon that comes from J.K. Rowling (including Pottermore, interviews, twitter, etc). And for this question I would also consider names/characters that are not Rowling-canon, e.g. if they appear in films, videogames (anything would be better than just me making up names ;))

The little information I managed to subtract from HP wikia. I think most of the following stuff comes from the movies. It might not even be 100% accurate, but it's hard to find people Sorted in 1996 because it's so late into the books :P

Hestia Carrow (Slytherin)

Flora Carrow (Slytherin- twin sister of Hestia)

Alys (Hufflepuff with no known surname)

James Tuckett (Hufflepuff)

There are also a bunch of other students, which apparently appear briefly in the video games in the year 1996, but I can't be certain if they were at Hogwarts before that or not. But there's about 50 of them so if you still want to use them for your story, just type in whichever house you need on wikia and you should find them if you scroll to the full list of students at the bottom :)

Hi lovegood27 :)

Thank you for the answer!

in the HP wikia list I don't see directly who was sorted in 1996, but I guess I'll just click on all of them one-by-one and see the info that comes up

Hestia and Flora Carrow are definitely and interesting pair, even if they are only mentioned in the film - I'm already thinking how they might be related to Alecto and Amycus Carrow (also an interesting touch that giving birth to twins is known to run in family - although I think it's only for monozygotic twins...)

anyway it might still be better for my to use a (semi-)canon Slytherin name with an unknown sorting date than make up my own names - so again a huge thanks for the tip, I did not know such a list existed on HP wikia

I would want to have a few sentence newspaper extracts for a fanfic (of some ordinary everyday theme), and I thought the most canon-compliant would be to use the Daily Prophet newsletters as a source

but the only thing I find is this Lexicon summary - they do have quotes, but still I was wondering if there is a way to find the fulltext for thoose?

Hi Alma :)

I'm affraid there is no better source for the Daily Prophet Newsletters than the HP Lexicon entry you also link - actually some time ago I have emailed Steve VanderArk about this issue, and he said that there is no other copy than his, and he cannot make his publicly available :(

As far as I know, I'm the only person with copies of the Daily Prophet newsletters. I obtained them from a British fan over a decade ago. When Rowling learned that I had copies, she asked me not to share them because fans had paid money for them and she didn't want them given out for free. So I can't give you copies and I don't know anywhere to do to find them.

So unless there is someone here at HPFT from the UK who has a harcopy of the Daily Prophet Newsletters, you will need to use the quotes from the Lexicon... I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful

• 1 month later...

Hey, so, I've a weird question. In one of the books (I can't remember which one, but I know it's there) it states that the Ministry doesn't record squib births. In the same instance, though (such as with Neville), it seems that wizarding families wait to see evidence of magic via innocent accidental magic. So I'm a little confused. Is there a screening process or not? Does the Ministry wait for evidence of magic before officially recording a birth? (And then this opens up a whole plethora of questions regarding muggleborns, but I'll ask about that when it's necessary, lol.)

I'm not sure if this'll help but in some fanfictions, I've seen that they have an automatic registry, sort of like +this one for Hogwarts, where magical births are picked up and noted. What magic would be used to do this, I'm not sure, but it does explain how the Ministry would be able to only record magical births and the family be none the wiser about the fact that their child is/is not on there.

That article is very helpful, but it also opens up so many other questions at the moment... xD But, it will help with my current problem. (Though now I want to know what happens to magical children who do not get accepted to Hogwarts...) Thank you, Plums!

• 7 months later...

First and foremost, this is an amazing and useful thread. Thank you for creating it. :wub:

My question is about Legilimens/Occlumency. Do Legilimens have to use a wand/a verbal spell in order to read someone's mind, or can they just... do it? I'd image that just like any other magic, it can be wandless/nonverbal if you're skilled and have practiced enough, but I'm not sure.

And while we're on the topic, can a Legilimens read someone's mind without that person even being aware? When Harry is getting his Occlumency lesson, he knows Snape is reading his mind, but that's because he knew what was coming due to the nature of the lesson. Would he have known otherwise?

I feel like these should be obvious but I genuinely don't remember. :P

It's mentioned in Philosopher's Stone as well as other places that Harry feels like Dumbledore or Snape could tell if he's lying or not and that their stares are oddly penetrating. At the time they don't have the possibility to make incantations (in one instance Snape is talking to Quirrell) and don't even appear to be holding wands.