Ravenclaw: 1560
Gryffindor: 1559
Hufflepuff: 1198
Slytherin: 892

Updated May 2017

Affiliates

Shadowplay

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Calendar

June 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
[25] 26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Latest Members

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently
Hufflepuff-themed Recs

Author (Read 186 times)

Hufflepuff-themed Recs
« on: June 11, 2016, 03:04:09 PM »

Jo Raskoph

• Hufflepuff
  • Second Year
    • JoRaskoph/
    • JoRaskoph
    • Hufflepuff

This thread is for all your favourite stories that you love because they deal with or exemplify the characteristics of hufflepuff house.

My current personal favourite in this category and if you ask me a must-read for everyone, no matter which house is:

Title: Golden Age
Author: zeitgeistic
Link(s): ao3 here (M)
Length / Completed: 52746 words | novel | completed
Era: 8th year
Main Character(s): Harry Potter, Draco Malfoy, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley, Justin Finch-Fletchley, Hannah Abbott, Eloise Midgen, Sally-Anne Perks, Pomona Sprout, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Anthony Goldstein
Main Pairing(s): Harry Potter/Draco Malfoy
Genre(s): Drama, Romance
Summary:
The Celtic druids once made a decision that kept magic in abundance in Britannia, but they couldn’t account for the technological advances Muggles would make centuries later. Now magic is dying on the isles, and this is not a dark lord that Harry can fight. OR: Harry Potter doesn’t save the world this time, but he does get a lot of hugs.

Reasons for recommending: The reason I recommend this novel for this particular category is already evident in the "or-part" of the summary. In the novel all the 8th and 7th year students are re-sorted to enforce house unity and Harry learns to accept his inner Hufflepuff. It's a novel about community and house pride and acceptance and it's so lovely my yellow-black heart might have possibly turned to jelly while reading it. For me the house characteristics are spot-on and in true hufflepuff spirit the other houses are treated respectfully too.
Have you ever read anything by zeitgeistic? Because if you have, you can probably skip this part of my reasons for recommending. If you haven't, let me tell you they are an exceptional author with a talent for descriptions, characters, flow, plot, … pretty much everything that makes a good story.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 04:13:16 PM by lllb »

Re: Hufflepuff-themed Recs
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 04:22:04 AM »

FlamingQuilltips

• Gryffindor
  • First Year
  • Gryffinpuff!
    • flamingquilltips.tumblr.com/
    • Flaming_Quilltips
    • 7899197/
    • quilltips36
    • Gryffindor

• HPFT Archives: 134
Title: Dormatory 2.6A
Author: Dirigible_Plums (HPFF) | elixersoflife (FF.net)
Link(s): + HPFF (M) | +FF.net (M)
Length / Completed: 28,461 / WIP
Era: Next-Gen
Main Character(s): Albus, Rose, Scorpius, OC
Main Pairing(s): Albus/OC
Genre(s):   Drama, Humor, Young Adult
Summary: In which the six girls from the Hufflepuff Dormitory 2.6A stalk Albus Potter, swear like sailors, sneak off to the library and put stereotypes to shame.

"I don't like hugs. Or people. They sicken me."
Reasons for recommending: Because this is an amazing take on the Hufflepuffs of the next generation. Kills cliches but keeps the essence of Hufflepuff alive :D

Just editing to fix the link.  ;D -Rumpels
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 03:39:44 PM by Rumpelstiltskin »

Forum set by wonderful Lady Asphodel

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 08:24:43 AM »

FireOpal

• Ravenclaw
  • Second Year
  • The True History of the FireOpal
    • LunkaKapa/
    • wellenoughverse/
    • Sandel
    • 5009169/
    • Ravenclaw

• HPFT Archives: 87
I love Hufflepuff-centric fics! I even started a collection for them on AO3 but it never took off. Anyway! I'm sure I'll be back here with more recommendations at some point, but I immediately wanted to take this opportunity to rec my very favourite Hufflefic!

First, though, a word of warning: the story has an instance of comparison between muggle-hate and racism which contains a racial slur against black people.

Title: insurgere
Author: silverpard
Link(s): Here!
Length / Completed: Completed at 6322 words
Era: Other, ~1940
Main Character(s): Tom Riddle
Main Pairing(s): N/A
Genre(s): Character Study, AU
Summary: Hufflepuff is the house of the leftovers, the losers, the forgotten. Well, Tom Riddle thinks, it's time to change that.
Reasons for recommending: This is a Hufflepuff story like no other, and a Tom Riddle story like no other. The old adage is 'The wizard doesn't choose the wand, the wand chooses the wizard,' but this story is a perfectly realised example of a shadow version of this adage, something people don't say, hardly seem to know, but which is just as true: 'The student doesn't fit the House, the House shapes the student.'
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 11:13:33 PM by TidalDragon »
Hello, I'm Kapa! : )
Sig and avatar by me, avatar adapted from this.

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 09:01:49 AM »

Jo Raskoph

• Hufflepuff
  • Second Year
    • JoRaskoph/
    • JoRaskoph
    • Hufflepuff

Title: Legend
Author: celticbard
Link(s): HPFF here (M)
Length / Completed: 38005 words | novel | completed
Era: Founders
Main Character(s): Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Slytherin, OC
Main Pairing(s): I don't remember actually
Genre(s): Drama, Romance, AU
Summary:
There is legend. And then there is truth. In 9th century England, three wizards band together, not to found a school, but to concoct one of the greatest lies ever told.

And thus began the history of Hogwarts.

Reasons for recommending: This one is also a different take on Hufflepuff and I can't tell you too much about it or I might spoil the plot—let me just say that it's AU, but could be accepted as canon compliant, and gives a very different take on the house characteristics. It's about all the houses, but Hufflepuff is a central figure and presented in a way that defies cliche.
I don't remember all of the plot because it's been a while since I last read it, but it's one of the stories I keep coming back for after a long time, because it has that certain element that grips you and doesn't let go.
Another major plus is the language used, which fits the era perfectly (I think the author was also a history major and really invested in making it seem authentic), but it's not just old, it's beautiful too:

Helga sat her horse like a man, her slender legs astride the leather saddle instead of draped neatly over the pommel. Salazar thought the position suited her well, echoing with masculinity, but touched with her subtle feminine wiles. A man could destroy himself pondering over the idiosyncrasies of a woman like Helga Hufflepuff…most of England already had.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 09:08:25 AM by Jo Raskoph »

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 11:15:18 AM »

FireOpal

• Ravenclaw
  • Second Year
  • The True History of the FireOpal
    • LunkaKapa/
    • wellenoughverse/
    • Sandel
    • 5009169/
    • Ravenclaw

• HPFT Archives: 87
I just rec'd both of these stories in the Hannah Abbott thread, but since Hannah is a perfect Puff, they also go here. : )

Okay, so this story has 'Dark' as one of its genres, and it really is dark. Read the warning in the Author’s Note to decide if you’re up for reading it or not.

Title: Bleeding Hearts and Bitten Tongues
Author: Dirigible_Plums
Link(s): HPFF (Mature)
Length / Completed: Completed at 3840 words
Pairing(s): Hannah/Neville
Genre(s): Horror/Dark, Angst
Summary: They were living in a war.

I love you could be said another day.
Reasons for recommending: I love Hannah Abbott, and I love it when authors bring out the Hufflepuff in her, which Plums really, really does here. Her Hannah is strong in the real Hufflepuff way, and just generally her Puff-ness shines through throughout the story. I also love how Plums lets her characters be both warriors and awkward teenagers at the same time (even though it breaks my heart!). Also, I’m always a sucker for Hannah/Neville, so…

--

Title: naive: in defense of hannah abbott
Author: dirgewithoutmusic
Link(s): AO3
Length / Completed: Completed at 5557 words
Pairing(s): Hannah/Neville, background pairings
Genre(s): Character Study
Summary: When Voldemort had Cedric Diggory killed, he said this: kill the spare.

Hannah heard it whispered in the hallways, too, right behind "sheep" and "not smart/not brave/not cunning" and simply "Puff." Potions with Snape was always a treat. He hated Harry Potter, but the black and yellow earned his disdain. Even Flitwick sometimes sighed when Justin Finch-Fletchley just couldn't quite figure out a charm.

And Hannah, in her quiet, accustomed, burning way, fumed.

We are not spare parts.[…]
Reasons for recommending: All of Inky’s ‘in defense of’ series is amazing, but this is my favourite, because Hannah is my favourite. It’s a defense of Hufflepuff House just as much as of Hannah, and this is a Hannah with a Hufflepuff pathos, a Hannah who says “Life is not fair. But it should be. And if we don't make it better, who will?” and I love her. And it’s not just Hannah that shines, all the characters do, and her romance with Neville burns bright. This story hurts, but it also heals.
Hello, I'm Kapa! : )
Sig and avatar by me, avatar adapted from this.

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 10:10:45 PM »

TreacleTart

• Gamekeeper
  • Seventh Year
  • The Treacler / Poison Treacle
    • TreacleTart301/
    • TreacleTart301/
    • TreacleTart
    • 7616904/
    • Gryffindor

• HPFT Archives: 15
This whole story is about why Puffs are so awesome! :)

Title: Mouse
Author: WriteYourHeartOut
Link(s): Mouse On HPFF (15+) / Mouse On AO3 (15+)
Length / Completed: one-shot/complete
Pairing(s): none
Genre(s): Angst, Action/Adventure, Young Adult
Summary: In a post-war world, there are those who still believe
In a superficial worth, who don't care what you've achieved.
They'll see that you're a Hufflepuff and call you weak and small,
But you know better - an elephant's scared of a mouse, after all.
Reasons for recommending: So normally saying that a whole story was written in rhyme would be a reason for me to avoid a story, but Tanya handles it so flawlessly that it almost felt like I was reading a Dr.Seuss story. The story is about Susan Bones proving why Hufflepuffs are so amazing and shutting down some rude naysayers in the process. Plus, it has dragons! :)

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 03:34:18 AM »

MuggleMaybe

• Prefect
  • Third Year
  • coffee & snuggles & marauders & next gen <3
    • mugglemaybe/
    • MuggleMaybe
    • Hufflepuff

Title: When I Go Out With You
Author: Dojh167
Link(s): +HPFT (M)
Length / Completed: 10,538 / WIP
Era: Rebuilding
Main Character(s): Hannah Abbott, Susan Bones, Neville Longbottom, Ernie Macmillan
Main Pairing(s): Hannah Abbott/Susan Bones
Genre(s): Angst, Fluff, Microfiction, Romance, Song Fic
Summary:
I'm young and I love to be young
I'm free and I love to be free
To live my life the way I want
To say and do whatever I please

- A Hannah Abbott Story -

Reasons for recommending: As you can see from the character list, this story features Hufflepuffs in a big way! Hannah's journey into polyamory also reflects the very Hufflepuff idea of being open to new ideas and experiences, even when you've never considered them or they're different from what you know. And, we see different Puffs with different personalities. Also this is just a really beautiful story in general.
Renee • MuggleMaybe on HPFT + AO3 + HPFF

sig & icon by me