News Ticker

Archive Issues/Bugs

scooterbug8515

This is a known glitch. It won't appear when your story is validated, so you can ignore it :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry to be back here with a question... :( probably my fault for not being able to figure out what's the problem

I updated a one-shot that had been published previousy (Transition), and the first thing I noticed was that the preview looked weird (the text was squeezed in a thin column), then when I clicked 'add story' the chapted did not show up any more... so now it lookes like this has 0 chapters, and I don't know what I did wrong (the original version of the text does not show up either...)

Oh, I feel so stupid about this...

Any change you make to your chapters - e.g. editing a spelling mistake, adding in a chapter image, etc. - will send the chapter back into the queue. This is to make sure that people aren't editing already published chapters to add in material which is inappropriate for the archives. Your chapter is currently in the queue, waiting for the edits to be validated :) The formatting is fine ;)

Thank you for the quick reply @Aphoride!

I now deleted the original chapter (that looked weird in my preview) and submitted the modified version as a new one... somehow I thought that the original chapter would remain visible until the changes are approved (like in HPFF), and I guess I paniced, but I'm glad it's in the queue now :)

When a chapter is edited it is gone until validated again. Our file system is pretty simple with just one file for each chapter and to have edits stay visible while they're being validated, I'd have to redo the entire file management system for chapters and... it would be a large and risky change to make to the archives.

Moving this edit explanation to a new page.

From what I can see, is that the story is in the queue as a new story (which... seems a tiny bit weird to me considering you editted it?). But because you editted it, it has to be validated again for it to show up as a story, and that is the reason why it shows as 0 chapters. From a quick glance at it, it shows up perfectly normal in the queue, so I don't think you have to worry about it looking weird.

It should all be fine as soon as it's been validated.

...and hpft didnt let me see Rose and Laura had already answered it, lol. But then again, formatting looks fine, so you don't need to worry about that. :P sorry about the double answer here :P

@Ineke - Thank you for the double answer, it's always reassuring! :) The chapter is now validated, and I can see it, and it looks perfectly normal.

• 2 weeks later...

I am suddenly unable to submit a review when pasting the draft from google docs. On the story in question I could post a review when I typed "test" in the box, but not when I pasted it. My review did not have any unusual characters, just letters, basic punctuation, and =

I got this issue on firefox, internet explorer, and mobile safari

I'll edit in an image of the error message

When I try to edit the above posts, either on mobile safari or firefox, I get the same error.

Ugh, last post on this issue for now (still can't edit other posts without error). I tried manually retyping my review on firefox and got the error. I can umi reviews "test" and "test test" without error.

• 3 weeks later...

I may be doing something wrong, but I just tried to enter a story for the first time, and for the categories like "Characters" and "Warnings" it was only letting me select one thing in each section.  For instance, I have one character listed, because it wouldn't let me add multiple. Or if I tried to put in an advisory for Sexual Content and for Violence, it would not let me select both.  I ended up just holding shift down and highlighting a bunch of advisories, not all of which actually apply to the story, just to be on the safe side.  But how can I choose multiple selections from the same category?

Penelope - to select multiple advisories/characters/pairings/etc. you need to hold the shift CTRL key down when you click on the relevant advisories/etc. That will allow you to select all the ones you want ;) On a Mac, I believe this is the command key (I think), though I'm not certain :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm having a tiny issue with one of my stories. It's only one of my stories and not the other two I have on here. So, with The Orchard, I cannot add more characters other then the top 4 or 5 on the list. So, for my story the only one that applies is original female character and that's all I can select. The box won't scroll down no matter what I try to do or buttons I press. It works fine for the other stories I have up here, I checked, but this one it just won't let me scroll to look at the rest of the character list.

• 4 months later...

I really had no idea where to put this, so if this is the wrong place, please let me know or move it where it needs to go. 

Anyway, tonight I picked up some reviews on a lot of stories that I'm pretty sure are just spam.  I can't really tell as they are in French.  What should I do?

1 hour ago, 1917farmgirl said:

I really had no idea where to put this, so if this is the wrong place, please let me know or move it where it needs to go. 

Anyway, tonight I picked up some reviews on a lot of stories that I'm pretty sure are just spam.  I can't really tell as they are in French.  What should I do?

I've had the same issue. Every one of my stories has a spam review in French on it. I'm wondering the same thing as farmgirl: what should I do?

2 hours ago, 1917farmgirl said:

1 hour ago, 800 words of heaven said:

I've had the same issue. Every one of my stories has a spam review in French on it. I'm wondering the same thing as farmgirl: what should I do?

I think for the time being, just let a validator know if/when you get spam reviews - either by messaging someone directly, or by emailing the validator email (I promise we do actually check it :P ). For these ones, I'm deleting them atm, so they should be going. Imma leave one up on 800 words of heaven's, if that's okay, just so Branwen can take a look at it, in case there's something she can do to block spam reviews which I can't :)

Basically, exactly what Laura said: we're going to try to figure out if we can do anything to stop them in the future, but for the moment, just let us know asap if you have any. I'm so sorry you guys are grappling with that! :hug:

Thank you, Branwen and the other staffers for caring us.

(As English is not my mother tongue, I can't help for validating, I'm wondering what I can help is to check if there are any spams on the other author's works from now and post them here? ) 

Edited by Tanda

So now I keep getting a notification that I have a new review, but when I click the link to see it, there's not one there.  Is this just because they are more spam reviews and staff are now finding them and deleting them before I see them?