News Ticker

Ask a Staffer

WriteYourHeartOut

Hello, I seem to be having story issues!

I uploaded my story to the archive, but it got rejected, and because I hadn't check my emails, I didn't realise for a couple of days.

I have now fixed the advisories as recommended, but it hasn't been validated yet. I just wanted to check it's still in the queue and hasn't fallen off the face of the earth?

Many thanks in advance

Hi there!

I just checked the queue and I don't see anything from you. Our system is a bit funny in that you have to hit the add story button (I think twice) after you've made your edits or else the chapter doesn't seem to re-submit. If you'd like, you could try to re-submit it and I can check to make sure it's gone through for you. :)

~Kaitlin

Thanks - I think I've re-submitted it :) Well, I clicked 'add story' twice and it said it had updated

Thanks - I think I've re-submitted it :) Well, I clicked 'add story' twice and it said it had updated

I'm still not seeing it, unfortunately. I'm going to go ahead and put in a request for help from an admin. because I don't know what else it could be.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. We'll get it fixed as soon as we can.

Okay, no worries. Would it help if I just deleted it from my page and uploaded it in its entirety again  (hopefully remembering to put the correct advisories on it this time)?

Okay, no worries. Would it help if I just deleted it from my page and uploaded it in its entirety again  (hopefully remembering to put the correct advisories on it this time)?

You can try that if you like, but it shouldn't require that. Edits should definitely go through.

I have posted for the admins to look into it either way, just so we can make sure there isn't some sort of glitch.

Sorry to be such a pain. Have uploaded it again :)

Sorry to be such a pain. Have uploaded it again

You're no pain at all, dear. I've already validated it and you're good to go. :) Sorry I couldn't be a bit more helpful.

The issue here seems to be that when you edit a story, you actually have to edit the text of the story to get it to reappear in the queue. If you only edit the advisories, but don't also edit the text of the story it will not reappear. This is a known issue that we are looking into and attempting to fix. A good work around for this is when you need to edit a story for just the advisories, just add an extra space after the last word in the story and it should work. If you have to edit a story for content, you should not have this issue.

I have a question about mentioning incest in a story.

So, in the story Character A mistakes something Character B says as implying that she wants to date her own sister - and then Character B immediately corrects her. Would that be all right?

That's totally fine, and you don't need the advisory. :)

Actually, I had a question about formatting. If this isn't the place to ask, please advise as to where to find formatting tips...I've searched everywhere and can't find a primer. The problem is...no matter what spacing I use between lines, it always comes out with NO spacing between lines. I am definitely a dinosaur, but I thought I had this one figured out. Thanks for any help, ideas, word of wisdom, etc.!!!!!

P.S. I just noticed that I added a second chapter for validation to Chasing Life, Seeking Love, Keeping Hope and...I thought the first chapter was validated, but it wasn't. Sorry! I will delete it, if that's what needs to be done!

Boy...I really stink at this game!!!  :(

This might be a bit like the blind leading the blind here, but I'll try my best to help.

So on my computer system, I find it best to use the Paste Word button. I've very sloppily highlighted it with red shapes in the screenshot below.

W0iGpa2.png

The button next to it is Paste Note I think...and that tends to delete spacing for me as does pasting it directly into the text box.

Let me know if that helps...and if not, I'll poke someone who's a bit more technologically advanced than me.

Don't worry about the extra chapter. I'll just kick it back to you and you can re-submit once your current chapter clears. :)

Very quick question for you ...

I assume the Hate Speech tutorial Pookha gave on the other thread means that if I use Molly Weasley's line to Bellatrix Lestrange in the final battle - the "Not my daughter" one - then I have to label the fic Mature and put the Hate Speech advisory on it? That is, I think I do, but I just wanted to double check.

Thanks!

Correct. Any time you use a word like Bitch, slut, slag, etc. in a gendered manner then it requires a Hate Speech advisory + mature rating.

Hello! This is probably a stupid question, but how do you add more than one tag? For example, in the character section, how do you get more than one character tag to work? I know that for the fandom section you have to click the little arrow, but that doesn't seem to work for any of the other sections. Is it just my computer, is there a different button I have to click, or is it just not allowed to have more than one tag? Thank you so much for your help!

If you have a Mac, you need to hold down the command key while clicking the characters. If you have a PC, hold down the CTRL key. :)

I'm not sure if this is a dumb question, but in the HP verse the term Mudblood is offensive, so I was wondering if I need a hate speech advisory if one character calls another a Mudblood. It's not mentioned in the tutorial, but I figured I'd ask because of context haha.

Thanks!

No, it doesn't - the hate speech advisory is only for real world words. :) 

I'm wondering if text fics are allowed? It doesn't explicitly say in the archive rules.

#askingforafriend =P

Thank you!!

Absolutely!

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question(s). Sorry if it seems a little silly!

About how long does it take for a chapter to be validated? Does it depend on the length?