News Ticker

Ask a Staffer

WriteYourHeartOut

I was not sure if this is where I ask this, and maybe I am being silly, but I just signed up today and I keep trying to edit my profile but each time I get a message that says "you are not allowed to edit this profile". Is this just a thing for new members? Do we wait a bit before we are allowed to? Or is this an error?

Sorry if this is a silly question, or not the right place to ask.

56 minutes ago, ssslytherinnn said:

I was not sure if this is where I ask this, and maybe I am being silly, but I just signed up today and I keep trying to edit my profile but each time I get a message that says "you are not allowed to edit this profile". Is this just a thing for new members? Do we wait a bit before we are allowed to? Or is this an error?

Sorry if this is a silly question, or not the right place to ask.

It is just a thing for new members. Once you sign up, we try to keep you from being able to do much of anything until you make your new user post (it is a measure against spammers and also an attempt to get people to read the rules :P ) and the post is approved. I just approved yours, so you should be able to edit your profile now. :)

If you'd like to join a particular house, just post in the sorting thread in the new users area, and we'll get you sorted.

Oh my God I can't believe I did this and I just realized that I did this.  I swear!  I crafted the Road Not Taken Challenge and the deadline is listed as both 1 September and 1 October.  Can't edit that post.  May I have that deadline pushed back to 1 October 2017?  I've pulled a dumb.  ??

Edited by Alopex
edited topic description so deadlines match

• 2 months later...

I've read the ToS and all of this thread and can't see an answer to this, sorry if it's dealt with elsewhere, BUT - 

When it comes to publishing fics on the archive, do we need to publish them in order? I'm trying to kickstart my current WIP (for the nth time) and I have 8 chapters already published on HPFF, but it's the sequel to another fic and lazybones here has only published the first chapter of that on the archives so far. I'd like to start posting my WIP here as and when (i.e. if) I update it, but the thought of me having to smash through 64 chapters of Off the Rails just to get posting the sequel makes me shudder a little bit.

tl;dr - do I need to need to post the first fic in its entirety on the archive before I start posting the sequel?

Cheers :)

42 minutes ago, water_lily43175 said:

I've read the ToS and all of this thread and can't see an answer to this, sorry if it's dealt with elsewhere, BUT - 

When it comes to publishing fics on the archive, do we need to publish them in order? I'm trying to kickstart my current WIP (for the nth time) and I have 8 chapters already published on HPFF, but it's the sequel to another fic and lazybones here has only published the first chapter of that on the archives so far. I'd like to start posting my WIP here as and when (i.e. if) I update it, but the thought of me having to smash through 64 chapters of Off the Rails just to get posting the sequel makes me shudder a little bit.

tl;dr - do I need to need to post the first fic in its entirety on the archive before I start posting the sequel?

Cheers :)

No, you do not.  You can have many WIPs going at once and toss in some one shots and poetry as well if you want.  We aren't going to prevent you posting one story just because you haven't completely finished (and/or finished posting) another.  :)  So go ahead and start submitting the sequel if you'd like.

Hi! I just have a clarifying question, if you don't mind.

On the site guidelines, it states "you may only submit two new chapters for review by a staff member at a time." However, I was just looking over the "common rejections" thread here on the forum, and there it says only one chapter can be submitted at a time. I'd like to submit two chapters if it is indeed allowed, but I just wanted to check first! Thanks! :) 

1 minute ago, ReillyJade said:

Hi! I just have a clarifying question, if you don't mind.

On the site guidelines, it states "you may only submit two new chapters for review by a staff member at a time." However, I was just looking over the "common rejections" thread here on the forum, and there it says only one chapter can be submitted at a time. I'd like to submit two chapters if it is indeed allowed, but I just wanted to check first! Thanks! :) 

It's two - we must not have updated that when we changed from one to two. I'll fix it now! ^_^

1 minute ago, abhorsen. said:

It's two - we must not have updated that when we changed from one to two. I'll fix it now! ^_^

Awesome, thank you!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest Rumpelstiltskin

Hey! I have an absolutely strange but relevant (to me) question: what are the archive rules on the surrounding cannibalism? Would it fall under the M-rated category of violence (ie. "description of fatal violence and torture")? Is it okay to mention it in passing, if at all, or can I, say, have a conversation about cooking techniques of leg of human between two cannibals? Should I limit, to the best of my judgment, around M-rated violence or should I scale back more graphic depictions?

Sorry about such a strange question :couch: . Thanks to whoever is able to answer! :$

As long as you're not promoting cannibalism/murder in order to be a cannibal :P , mentioning it or having a discussion like what you describe is okay.

Guest Rumpelstiltskin
7 hours ago, abhorsen. said:

As long as you're not promoting cannibalism/murder in order to be a cannibal :P , mentioning it or having a discussion like what you describe is okay.

Gotcha, no people eat promotion ?. Thank you! 

Sigh... Did a dumb. Chapter got validated, went in to double check it and made a small edit it. Totally blew past my sleepy brain that it'd need to be validated again. Which, duh, of course. 

Just wanna make sure it's actually back in the queue. I saw two chapters waiting for validation before (though I only had one pending?), and now I still only see one. Just covering my bases. Was hoping to submit for a challenge.

It's in the queue ^_^ Of course, I am now going to validate, so it won't be for long ;)

There are two things to ask moderators or staffers (I'm not sure where to post this):

1 The redirect link to Shadowplay is changed, here

2 I'm wondering if I am allowed to ask members here to make banner graphics or tumblr gifs as many as they can for my story challenge participants. The participants will write a story based on each banner or graphics. Or I'll be happy if staffers or prefects will use this challenge as hpft forum events and give winners awards.

Is the best way to request these graphcs^ at Shadowplay or the other graphics request site?

1 hour ago, StarFeather said:

There are two things to ask moderators or staffers (I'm not sure where to post this):

1 The redirect link to Shadowplay is changed, here

Yep! ^_^  Is there a problem with our link?? It should redirect to SP's new site rather than the old one, and our button is linked there under affiliates. ^_^  If you've noticed an issue, please let me know - we can fix it if it's on our end, and I can let the admins there know if it's on their end.

2 I'm wondering if I am allowed to ask members here to make banner graphics or tumblr gifs as many as they can for my story challenge participants. The participants will write a story based on each banner or graphics. Or I'll be happy if staffers or prefects will use this challenge as hpft forum events and give winners awards.

Is the best way to request these graphcs^ at Shadowplay or the other graphics request site?

You're totally welcome to post a status here asking if members would be willing to make graphics for use in a challenge like that! The major issue with that is that there's no guarantee that the graphics will ever get used (since people might not write the stories), and a lot of artists won't be keen on that - you can't request graphics for stories that don't exist yet at TDA, and I don't believe that you can do so at Shadowplay, either.

That said, it's a really fun idea for the future, and if you either don't get the response you need to run the challenge or you don't mind a lag time between now and us potentially using it, it's definitely something I'd like to explore further! ^_^

:waving:  Hai guys -- I was directed here via twitter with my question.  ^_^

I'm wanting to do a monthly series of urban legends but would like to get ideas and prompts from the community. It's a challenge but not really (I do want to do a graphic for whichever prompts a story each month). What section would something like that go please?  Thank you! 

Edited by Diogenissa

Howdy Karen! I hope you're enjoying the holidays!

If I'm understanding you correctly, you just want to solicit ideas from other members, but you're going to do all the writing (or others can, but there's no judging, obligation, placement, etc.)? If so, I think it probably fits most squarely in the Writers' Nest (if it's more generic) or Story Help (if it's going to be series specific) - I know there's kind of blurring to an extent in those areas, but that would be my recommendation. If it's something that you're going to then want to pose to people as a way to test themselves in the genre/theme, then I'd solicit the feedback in the Writers' Nest/Story Help (as applicable per the above) and maybe liaise with @WindingArrow about possible incorporation as a writing exercise in that separate subforum.

If there's going to be any inducement to contribute/participate that goes beyond a graphic, reviews, or a story, I'd say that aspect most likely needs to be handled off-site while the thread rests in Writers' Nest. If you're going in that direction though, please PM me directly.

Edited by TidalDragon
  • Thanks 1

Just kidding! I answered my own question. Please ignore me. xD

Edited by ReillyJade
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Are there any specific rules about violence against/torture of children? The violence is committed by a Dark Wizard and involves curses, imprisonment and withholding food. I will obviously warn for violence and give an M rating, but is there anything else it needs?

Edited by Margaret

12 hours ago, Margaret said:

Are there any specific rules about violence against/torture of children? The violence is committed by a Dark Wizard and involves curses, imprisonment and withholding food. I will obviously warn for violence and give an M rating, but is there anything else it needs?

For now that's the best rating and advisory to use. We're working through the finer points of what a child abuse advisory means and where the lines are between ratings. 

• 1 month later...

I have a question about the archive rule that says, “Characters, quotes, and plots owned by Disney are not permitted under any circumstances.” I wanted to know how this would relate to Star Wars references. Ex. my character says this in the narration:

A cliché struggle between the good and the bad (the light and the dark?) a chosen one? What was this, Star Wars?

The only thing better than going to a magic school would be learning to use The Force from Luke Skywalker.

Does this also mean my characters couldn’t be like, “may the force be with you” or other quotes? Thanks!

You're okay with common pop culture references like that. ^_^

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, abhorsen. said:

You're okay with common pop culture references like that. ^_^

Awesome, thank you!! I just wanted to make sure because you know Disney.

• Like 1