News Ticker

Ask a Staffer

WriteYourHeartOut

Hey, what are the current rules on song fics?  I wanted to transfer a songfic I wrote a long time ago that quotes the lyrics of the song in the fic.  On some sites, that isn't allowed.  What's the ruling here?

You can write them! You just need about 90% of the story to be your own words. 

Hey, so I know Disney is off-limits, but I was wondering how that extended to Disney owned companies? I wanted to put a quote from Grey's Anatomy in a story but since it airs on ABC, I just wanted to check if I'm allowed to use it (with proper credit of course)?

Hey, I've been spam-attacked. Over 15 reviews of gibberish mixed with company brand names. All are from wq123 . Looks like they have left 96 reviews on our archive.

I've had the same spam attack! At least 22 spam reviews from wq123. I vaguely remember from last time that perhaps the proper protocol is to report the reviews on the archive?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, clevernotbrilliant said:

Hey, so I know Disney is off-limits, but I was wondering how that extended to Disney owned companies? I wanted to put a quote from Grey's Anatomy in a story but since it airs on ABC, I just wanted to check if I'm allowed to use it (with proper credit of course)?

A quote from Grey's anatomy is fine. 

Re: spam. I'll block that user from the site. 

• Thanks 1

Hello there to all my favorite validators!  :yay:

I've got an alphabet sort of question...

I have a secret code in my story that is slipped from one group to another and it contains several letters in Cyrillic.  It's a fairly important plot point as the mystery unravels.  It just occurred to me that we may not have the capacity to publish Cyrillic letters on the archive (please, oh please say we do).  To be clear, I'm using the alphabet as a code and not actually posting words in Bulgarian - just letters.  Here's an example:

В-О-Б-Д-А-И-М-І-Н-А-І-Г-О-Џ-М-Ц-Я-Д-Е-Я

(the dashes between the letters are because it's part of the code)

1. Will the archive support the Cyrillic alphabet?
  2. Am I allowed to do this?

Thank you so much!:loveshower:

• Like 1

Apologies if this is not the right place to ask this, but -- on the author page at HPFT, there are spaces for "Author Q&A" and "headcanons". What are these for? Have I missed a very obvious answer? Terribly sorry if so.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Veritaserum27 said:

Hello there to all my favorite validators!  :yay:

I've got an alphabet sort of question...

I have a secret code in my story that is slipped from one group to another and it contains several letters in Cyrillic.  It's a fairly important plot point as the mystery unravels.  It just occurred to me that we may not have the capacity to publish Cyrillic letters on the archive (please, oh please say we do).  To be clear, I'm using the alphabet as a code and not actually posting words in Bulgarian - just letters.  Here's an example:

В-О-Б-Д-А-И-М-І-Н-А-І-Г-О-Џ-М-Ц-Я-Д-Е-Я

(the dashes between the letters are because it's part of the code)

1. Will the archive support the Cyrillic alphabet?
  2. Am I allowed to do this?

Thank you so much!:loveshower:

Okay so I literally just went and added it to my story Introducing (I had to change the banner anyway so perfect opportunity to edit) and while it is allowed (as far as I know), I am sorry to inform you that the site does not support it :( For some reason it does work in bio's or titles, but in the actual story itself it has just boxes with question marks etc. Maybe it's something @toomanycurls can look into (because I have seen stories where the Russian alphabet is used and I think it actually goes the same for them after it's edited/validated), but for now it won't work.

1 hour ago, facingthenorthwind said:

Apologies if this is not the right place to ask this, but -- on the author page at HPFT, there are spaces for "Author Q&A" and "headcanons". What are these for? Have I missed a very obvious answer? Terribly sorry if so.

Hi there! It's used for topics like Meet the Author,  where people can ask questions about stories and what not, and Headcanons!  There is a general Headcanon topic right here though many people also use their writer's journal to post headcanons too. I hope this answered your question!

Edited by Ineke
  • Like 1

Thank you very much! Just so you know, as you found with Cyrillic, Hebrew also works in titles but not anywhere else (turns into boxes, as you said). I tried to edit it (it was in my story shell, so I didn't have to submit it for revalidation) and I couldn't fix it, so ??? a mystery. Every time I saved it, half of the letters would turn into boxes but half of them would remain perfectly legible.

• Thanks 1

Hello, there! :)

I have a question... are we allowed to post on the archives in a different language (providing a translation, of course)? I would like to post a poem that I wrote a few months ago, but I would like to post it in Italian, since that's how I originally wrote it... I understand if that's not okay, though.

Thank you so much! :hug:

Hi!  I have an odd question, and I'm not sure how you guys would feel about it, but I figure it never hurts to ask.  With HPFF officially closing in a month, I have quiet a few reviews over there I'm sad to lose.  I do have them all backed up, but I also wish I could keep them with my stories.  Many are from people who are no longer active and a few are even from a friend who has passed away.  I was wondering if there could be a way for author's to transfer these reviews to our stories on HPFT, especially the ones where the people who left them are no longer around.  Either a way we could do it ourselves, or (because I know that could be a really iffy area to open up) a way to submit the ones we'd like to keep to a validator and they could put them up?

Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks so much! - Jill

1 minute ago, 1917farmgirl said:

Hi!  I have an odd question, and I'm not sure how you guys would feel about it, but I figure it never hurts to ask.  With HPFF officially closing in a month, I have quiet a few reviews over there I'm sad to lose.  I do have them all backed up, but I also wish I could keep them with my stories.  Many are from people who are no longer active and a few are even from a friend who has passed away.  I was wondering if there could be a way for author's to transfer these reviews to our stories on HPFT, especially the ones where the people who left them are no longer around.  Either a way we could do it ourselves, or (because I know that could be a really iffy area to open up) a way to submit the ones we'd like to keep to a validator and they could put them up?

Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks so much! - Jill

Let us chat about that among staff. I can think of a few things we might do /allow. 

On 3/22/2018 at 4:05 PM, Felpata_Lupin said:

Hello, there! :)

I have a question... are we allowed to post on the archives in a different language (providing a translation, of course)? I would like to post a poem that I wrote a few months ago, but I would like to post it in Italian, since that's how I originally wrote it... I understand if that's not okay, though.

Thank you so much! :hug:

I'm inclined to say no; small excerpts or phrases are fine, entire stories in languages no one on the staff can read would make me uncomfortable in terms of making sure content had the appropriate rating/advisories in general. That's not really a concern for me in terms of you :P , but if it was a member we were less familiar with, it could become one.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, abhorsen. said:

I'm inclined to say no; small excerpts or phrases are fine, entire stories in languages no one on the staff can read would make me uncomfortable in terms of making sure content had the appropriate rating/advisories in general. That's not really a concern for me in terms of you :P , but if it was a member we were less familiar with, it could become one.

Of course, I thought that might be problematic for that reason... thank you so much anyway! :wub:

• Like 1

This is a little relevant since the news of HPFF shutting down, and I know I've seen recycled banners up on the archives - but my question is it okay to recycle a banner made for me if it has an old pen name on it? It was made over 5 years ago and I don't even know if the creator is still at TDA - but even if they were, it's a little unrealistic to think they would still have the psd lol. The banner is still absolutely perfect for the story, it was just up on my old HPFF account years ago, and I really don't want to request a new one when I have a perfect one sitting in a folder on my computer. Thank you in advance! <3 

• Like 1

Yep, you can reuse your banner, just remember to credit as usual ^_^

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BellaLestrange87 said:

Yep, you can reuse your banner, just remember to credit as usual ^_^

perfect, thanks so much for the quick response! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a story on HPFF that I've never posted anywhere else because it's from a competition that was done in pairs.  My partner wrote the first chapter and I wrote the second.  With the site shutting down, I'd like to move it to HPFT, but it doesn't make complete sense without the other part and the author is no longer active in the fandom to bring the story over.  Could I include a short summary paragraph or two about what their story covered in an author's note at the beginning of mine, to at least give readers some context?

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

You're totally free to summarize the first chapter at the start of your chapter. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!  This may be better suited for a PM so please redirect me if needed.  It's also very possible that I'm not used to the HPFT interface yet--but it looks like the newest 3 chapters to my fic have been in the queue for quite some time, and possibly for months?  I may have just missed a step or not done something correctly, or could be completely crazy, but wanted to mention it just in case they got lost in there somehow!

Thank you so much! :)

Two of them are still in, a third has been out for a bit, but I'll PM you!

Hello my lovely Aurors! <3 

I have a question. I know there was a notice in the May bulletin about advisories for derogatory language and consent issues being changed, but I'm still a little unsure of proper ratings/advisories for a particular section in my one-shot. I'm fairly confident on the ratings for everything else, but I was wondering: is there someone that wouldn't mind looking through the section, and would it be easier to PM one of you rather than post here? The section is on the longer side.

Thank you in advance! :wub:

I'm off to work in a few mins, but I only go into work for 3 hours today. If you don't mind waiting on that, you can PM or DM or whatever it to me <3

Thank you! I just sent it over in a PM <3