Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Check out the new badges we have available.
  • Why did Professor Snape stand in the middle of the road?
  • So you'll never know which side he's on.
abhorsen.

Ask a Validator

abhorsen.

Yes - even if they don't ultimately go through with it, it's still a forced engagement. (Next edit of the rules, I'll clarify that forced engagements are also included in that.)

The DA advisory is there because we feel very strongly that it's abusive to force someone to get married to someone they don't want to marry, and it by definition is happening in a family setting. In this case, it's got nothing to do with the prince's behavior - it's about his parents.

Edit: This isn't directly applicable here, because the coercion makes it forced rather than arranged, but I also want to mention that all arranged marriages require an M rating - arranged-but-not-forced doesn't require a forced marriage/domestic abuse advisories, but it does still need to be rated M.

1917farmgirl

Okay, thank you for answering so quickly. :)

water_lily43175

I've read the ToS and all of this thread and can't see an answer to this, sorry if it's dealt with elsewhere, BUT - 

When it comes to publishing fics on the archive, do we need to publish them in order? I'm trying to kickstart my current WIP (for the nth time) and I have 8 chapters already published on HPFF, but it's the sequel to another fic and lazybones here has only published the first chapter of that on the archives so far. I'd like to start posting my WIP here as and when (i.e. if) I update it, but the thought of me having to smash through 64 chapters of Off the Rails just to get posting the sequel makes me shudder a little bit.

tl;dr - do I need to need to post the first fic in its entirety on the archive before I start posting the sequel?

Cheers :)

Alopex
42 minutes ago, water_lily43175 said:

I've read the ToS and all of this thread and can't see an answer to this, sorry if it's dealt with elsewhere, BUT - 

When it comes to publishing fics on the archive, do we need to publish them in order? I'm trying to kickstart my current WIP (for the nth time) and I have 8 chapters already published on HPFF, but it's the sequel to another fic and lazybones here has only published the first chapter of that on the archives so far. I'd like to start posting my WIP here as and when (i.e. if) I update it, but the thought of me having to smash through 64 chapters of Off the Rails just to get posting the sequel makes me shudder a little bit.

tl;dr - do I need to need to post the first fic in its entirety on the archive before I start posting the sequel?

Cheers :)

No, you do not.  You can have many WIPs going at once and toss in some one shots and poetry as well if you want.  We aren't going to prevent you posting one story just because you haven't completely finished (and/or finished posting) another.  :)  So go ahead and start submitting the sequel if you'd like.

Recent Badges

water_lily43175

Fab, thanks Alo! :)

Edited by water_lily43175

ReillyJade

Hi! I just have a clarifying question, if you don't mind.

On the site guidelines, it states "you may only submit two new chapters for review by a staff member at a time." However, I was just looking over the "common rejections" thread here on the forum, and there it says only one chapter can be submitted at a time. I'd like to submit two chapters if it is indeed allowed, but I just wanted to check first! Thanks! :) 

abhorsen.
1 minute ago, ReillyJade said:

Hi! I just have a clarifying question, if you don't mind.

On the site guidelines, it states "you may only submit two new chapters for review by a staff member at a time." However, I was just looking over the "common rejections" thread here on the forum, and there it says only one chapter can be submitted at a time. I'd like to submit two chapters if it is indeed allowed, but I just wanted to check first! Thanks! :) 

It's two - we must not have updated that when we changed from one to two. I'll fix it now! ^_^

ReillyJade
1 minute ago, abhorsen. said:

It's two - we must not have updated that when we changed from one to two. I'll fix it now! ^_^

Awesome, thank you!!

• Like 1

Rumpelstiltskin

Hey! I have an absolutely strange but relevant (to me) question: what are the archive rules on the surrounding cannibalism? Would it fall under the M-rated category of violence (ie. "description of fatal violence and torture")? Is it okay to mention it in passing, if at all, or can I, say, have a conversation about cooking techniques of leg of human between two cannibals? Should I limit, to the best of my judgment, around M-rated violence or should I scale back more graphic depictions?

Sorry about such a strange question :couch: . Thanks to whoever is able to answer! :$

• Like 1

abhorsen.

As long as you're not promoting cannibalism/murder in order to be a cannibal :P , mentioning it or having a discussion like what you describe is okay.

• Haha 1

Rumpelstiltskin
7 hours ago, abhorsen. said:

As long as you're not promoting cannibalism/murder in order to be a cannibal :P , mentioning it or having a discussion like what you describe is okay.

Gotcha, no people eat promotion 😂. Thank you! 

• Haha 2

Nykizta

Sigh... Did a dumb. Chapter got validated, went in to double check it and made a small edit it. Totally blew past my sleepy brain that it'd need to be validated again. Which, duh, of course. 

Just wanna make sure it's actually back in the queue. I saw two chapters waiting for validation before (though I only had one pending?), and now I still only see one. Just covering my bases. Was hoping to submit for a challenge.

BellaLestrange87

It's in the queue ^_^ Of course, I am now going to validate, so it won't be for long ;)

ReillyJade
Posted (edited)

Just kidding! I answered my own question. Please ignore me. xD

Edited by ReillyJade
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Margaret
Posted (edited)

Are there any specific rules about violence against/torture of children? The violence is committed by a Dark Wizard and involves curses, imprisonment and withholding food. I will obviously warn for violence and give an M rating, but is there anything else it needs?

Edited by Margaret

toomanycurls
12 hours ago, Margaret said:

Are there any specific rules about violence against/torture of children? The violence is committed by a Dark Wizard and involves curses, imprisonment and withholding food. I will obviously warn for violence and give an M rating, but is there anything else it needs?

For now that's the best rating and advisory to use. We're working through the finer points of what a child abuse advisory means and where the lines are between ratings. 

Margaret

Thanks. I'll add some clarification in the summary in case anybody is uncomfortable with reading it.

Levana

I have a question about the archive rule that says, “Characters, quotes, and plots owned by Disney are not permitted under any circumstances.” I wanted to know how this would relate to Star Wars references. Ex. my character says this in the narration:

A cliché struggle between the good and the bad (the light and the dark?) a chosen one? What was this, Star Wars?

The only thing better than going to a magic school would be learning to use The Force from Luke Skywalker.

Does this also mean my characters couldn’t be like, “may the force be with you” or other quotes? Thanks!

Recent Badges

abhorsen.

You're okay with common pop culture references like that. ^_^

• Like 1

Levana
5 minutes ago, abhorsen. said:

You're okay with common pop culture references like that. ^_^

Awesome, thank you!! I just wanted to make sure because you know Disney.

• Like 1

Recent Badges

Pixileanin

Hey, what are the current rules on song fics?  I wanted to transfer a songfic I wrote a long time ago that quotes the lyrics of the song in the fic.  On some sites, that isn't allowed.  What's the ruling here?

toomanycurls

You can write them! You just need about 90% of the story to be your own words. 

clevernotbrilliant

Hey, so I know Disney is off-limits, but I was wondering how that extended to Disney owned companies? I wanted to put a quote from Grey's Anatomy in a story but since it airs on ABC, I just wanted to check if I'm allowed to use it (with proper credit of course)?

Alexis Black

Hey, I've been spam-attacked. Over 15 reviews of gibberish mixed with company brand names. All are from wq123 . Looks like they have left 96 reviews on our archive.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.