Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • THE HOUSE CUP FINALE HAS BEGUN!
  • Keep an eye on the Prefects' Blog for House Writing Award results.
abhorsen.

Ask a Validator

toomanycurls

Most challenges will accept entries that are in the queue before the deadline. 

Renacerá
8 hours ago, LunaStellaCat said:

I hate bothering people but I'm asking anyway,. No there is no chapter limit.  I'm submitting for a challenge that is due oh ... tomorrow?  I have three chapters do I submit all three and wait for individual accept or reject letters or do I just wait for the first one.  Sorry if this is a stupid question. 

And you can submit all three chapters at once! We'll validate them as we get to them, so you'll see them appear as validated or rejected in order (1 then 2 then 3). Does that help also?

ShadowRose

Is there any sort of warning that’s supposed to be used for a mention of miscarriage? I know that tends to be a sensitive subject for some people, so I wasn’t sure if there was any sort of warning that needs to be associated with it.

Ineke

No, there isn't one. I have seen people put a t/w in the summary or chapter in question though, so they can skip it should they want to!

• Like 1

Elena

I want to post my drabbles here, but your drabbles are listed as 100 - 200 words. Mine are just over over 500 words. Should these be listed as one-shots?

Ineke

I'd list them under one-shots, yes!

• Like 1

facingthenorthwind

Hello! So in the site guidelines it says you can have two graphics in a chapter as long as they're 400x300, and I was wondering -- can they appear anywhere in the body of the chapter? e.g., if I wanted to include a newspaper article, and I made a masthead that was less than 400x300?

Recent Badges

abhorsen.

@facingthenorthwind - Yep, that's correct! (If you want to make a newspaper article the size of what we currently reserve for picspams (500x750), that's okay, too - we'll be changing that rule in the near future. :D

• Thanks 1

dreamgazer220

Hey, guys! I have a question about the new archive advisories for one of my stories ^_^

I've read the tutorials for each, so I'm under the impression that the 'hate speech' tag I have can be changed to a derogatory language advisory and the sexual assault in it can be changed to mild consent issues and dropped down to a T rating, but I was wondering if someone wanted to do a read through to double check for me? I can post a link here or DM someone. Thanks! 

toomanycurls

Shoot me a link! 

• Thanks 1

Stella Blue

Hi! I had a question regarding the queue and edits - I submitted edits to a couple of chapters about a month and a half ago, and as far as I know they were never validated, but I didn't get a rejection notice or a validation notice. The edits appear to be there, but the 'updated' date still says January, so I don't know if the edits actually went through. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you <3

toomanycurls

I'll need to poke the code a little bit to check but I imagine it's due to the fact that having edits go through the queue is something I added to our code and I might need to tweak it to make sure edits are getting a recent updated date when they are validated. Your chapters aren't in the queue so I assume they have been validated because they aren't in the queue. Do the HPFT emails sometimes go to spam? 

Stella Blue
3 minutes ago, toomanycurls said:

I'll need to poke the code a little bit to check but I imagine it's due to the fact that having edits go through the queue is something I added to our code and I might need to tweak it to make sure edits are getting a recent updated date when they are validated. Your chapters aren't in the queue so I assume they have been validated because they aren't in the queue. Do the HPFT emails sometimes go to spam? 

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I've never had the HPFT emails go to spam before and I don't see any in the spam folder, so I don't think that's what happened.

toomanycurls

Weird.. validation literally happens in the popup box that comes up to send a message to people. It's always possible that something didn't work when they were validated (on the email system or something). Can you send me the link to the story this happened on? 

Stella Blue
18 minutes ago, toomanycurls said:

Weird.. validation literally happens in the popup box that comes up to send a message to people. It's always possible that something didn't work when they were validated (on the email system or something). Can you send me the link to the story this happened on? 

Sure. There were two (possibly three?) chapters I edited and didn't get a notice about any of them. The link to the story is here (m)

Thanks!

teh tarik
Posted (edited)

Hiya!

Probably a very obvious question but...is Star Wars fic allowed on the archive? I know Star Wars belongs to Disney and all that, but so does the MCU, and I think a validator told me that MCU fic is allowed on the archive. So not sure whether anything to do with Disney is not allowed, or only the direct Disney movies, e.g. Jungle Book, Beauty & the Beast etc.

Also, if you have a list of disallowed fandoms on the archives, please could you direct me to this.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by teh tarik

toomanycurls

Any Disney owned fandoms aren't allowed. You can reference Star Wars/Disney fandoms as a cultural reference (such as someone saying "I am your father") 

Disney is the only area we don't allow. 

clevernotbrilliant

Hello! 

I know that M rated profanities are not allowed in titles and summaries, but what are the rules around having censored words in them? Like, having dashes or asterisks to replace letters in the words? I can PM a validator the specific example if that makes it easier.

• Like 1

toomanycurls

That's not really in the spirit of the rule. If you wanted to do what the eff instead or a similar remaining of a M swear word then that'd be okay but having What the f*ck is not. 

facingthenorthwind

Hello! I submitted a second chapter of song for the julian calendar and I can't find a rejection notice for it in my emails? I submitted it two weeks ago, but obviously if I'm just being impatient and it's sitting there all in good time then feel free to tell me off. 

Recent Badges

Ineke

It has been rejected on the 27th. I'll send you a PM with the details!

Aphoride

Can I borrow a validator to check that I've got the correct advisories on a story? I can pm somebody a link or the passages I'm concerned about if that's easier? :)

Recent Badges

toomanycurls

You can PM me. 

poppunkpadfoot

Does a story require a substance abuse advisory if a character makes an offhand remark about hypothetical substance abuse? (Story is already rated M because I can't stop saying the F word :P)

toomanycurls

You wouldn't need a substance abuse advisory for that. 

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.