Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • THE HOUSE CUP FINALE HAS BEGUN!
  • Keep an eye on the Prefects' Blog for House Writing Award results.
abhorsen.

Ask a Validator

abhorsen.

Please use this thread to ask for clarifications regarding archive rules, including what we allow and what rating/advisory should be attached to it. A validator will answer your post asap. :)

Stella Blue

I have a clarification question - while reading the TOS when I registered, I saw a note about how stories may not have any historical or real people in them, although references are allowed. I was expecting there to be a rule about no real living people, but the historical figures one caught me by surprise. Several of my stories have historical figures that appear as minor characters. It's more than just a reference to them, but the stories also aren't about them per se... so I was just wondering where the line is drawn. If the historical character actually says a line of dialogue would that mean I can't post the story on the archive?

Thanks

abhorsen.
I have a clarification question - while reading the TOS when I registered, I saw a note about how stories may not have any historical or real people in them, although references are allowed. I was expecting there to be a rule about no real living people, but the historical figures one caught me by surprise. Several of my stories have historical figures that appear as minor characters. It's more than just a reference to them, but the stories also aren't about them per se... so I was just wondering where the line is drawn. If the historical character actually says a line of dialogue would that mean I can't post the story on the archive?

Thanks

That was an oversight that we'd intended to resolve before launching the archive, but it got lost in the shuffle. You can use historical figures. :)

ImaRavenclaw

This is definitely going to take some getting used to, but for those of us who are really used to HPFF, what is a good rule of thumb when deciding ratings? Because I have stories that need to be Mature on HPFF because of sexual content, but I read through the tutorial and noticed that the mature story example was purely explicit. I'm the type of person who always gets nervous about validation and literally everything else (I'm even nervous because I feel like I'm asking a stupid question). And this goes for everything, like violence and such. I'm just feeling weird about how I should convert my stories from HPFF rating to HPFT ratings.

abhorsen.
This is definitely going to take some getting used to, but for those of us who are really used to HPFF, what is a good rule of thumb when deciding ratings? Because I have stories that need to be Mature on HPFF because of sexual content, but I read through the tutorial and noticed that the mature story example was purely explicit. I'm the type of person who always gets nervous about validation and literally everything else (I'm even nervous because I feel like I'm asking a stupid question). And this goes for everything, like violence and such. I'm just feeling weird about how I should convert my stories from HPFF rating to HPFT ratings.

That's not a stupid question at all! That's why this topic is here; use it as much as you'd like. <3

This is going to be a bit of a shitty answer, though - there's not necessarily a great rule of thumb across the board. Our rules are pretty lenient compared to HPFF and many other moderated archives, but they're also just different; we have advisories that most archives don't have, and our umbrella for issues like sexual assault and hate speech is a bit broader.

As a general rule regarding sexual content in particular: if you're going into any detail about below-the-waist sexual activities, the story should be rated M. If you're just mentioning it and/or going into detail about above-the-waist sexual activities, the story can be rated T. It's tough to say without seeing the story itself (and you're welcome to PM it to me!), but a lot of stories that had to be rated M on HPFF would be accepted with a T rating here.

ImaRavenclaw

Thanks so much Branwen, I'll definitely keep pm-ing you in mind when I'm in a tough spot! And it wasn't that much of a shitty answer, don't worry (it actually really helped)!

Stella Blue
That was an oversight that we'd intended to resolve before launching the archive, but it got lost in the shuffle. You can usehistorical figures. :)

Yay! Thank you :)

melian

Quick question - are fics that are set up like plays allowed? I've got one on AO3 that wouldn't be accepted on the old archive due to its format, and from what I read in the Site rules it wasn't really clear if it was okay. That is, it's not mentioned so the implication is it's NOT okay, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

If you need an example here is the fic concerned: AO3 12+

I'm cool with not posting it if it's not allowed, but it's worth checking, right?

thanks!

abhorsen.

Quick question - are fics that are set up like plays allowed? I've got one on AO3 that wouldn't be accepted on the old archive due to its format, and from what I read in the Site rules it wasn't really clear if it was okay. That is, it's not mentioned so the implication is it's NOT okay, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

If you need an example here is the fic concerned: AO3 12+

I'm cool with not posting it if it's not allowed, but it's worth checking, right?

thanks!

Yes, that's completely fine! I've added a story type for plays, diaries, etc. :)

melian

Awesome! Thanks for that. Uploading it now. :D

Margaret

I have one particular scene which references somebody dying of a drug overdose. I'm just wondering about the rating and advisories this would require. The event doesn't actually happen, if that makes a difference; it's more something a character fears happening.

abhorsen.

Can you give a little more detail? My inclination would be to say it would require an M rating with a substance abuse advisory, but if it's just a passing mention and drugs don't really enter in the story otherwise, that's not necessarily the case.

Margaret

It's a boggart scene and one character's boggart is somebody telling them their mother has died of a drug overdose and while it's not said directly, the implication is that the mother is an addict. The mother doesn't appear in the story.

abhorsen.

Thank you!

If it's just one vague mention, you don't need a substance abuse advisory. It's on the edge of a T vs. an M rating - if you don't have anything else that would cause the story to be rated M, feel free to send me the excerpt and I can tell you for sure. :)

Margaret

Thanks a million. I'll probably leave it at an M rating, since the story is a novel length and I think there are a few other things that are probably borderline.

PaulaTheProkaryote

Hi! Okay, on the archive feedback post it mentioned the in-text graphic rule would be a picspam of 500X750 or 2 400X300 images. Is this the official rule? I couldn't find it on the actually archive to be sure.

Recent Badges

abhorsen.

Yep! It's in the site guidelines here. :)

Graphics: Authors are permitted to include up to one graphic in their story summaries (no larger than 700px x 150px). Authors are also permitted to include either one picspam (500px x 750px or smaller) OR up to two additional graphics in each chapter (each 400px x 300px or smaller). Authors may only use graphics that they have made themselves or graphics that they have express permission from the artist to use, and must credit each graphic, even those which they make themselves. Use of an artist’s work without their permission or failure to credit an artist’s work may lead to consequences including suspension from the site and/or removal of Certified Author status (if applicable).

Veritaserum27

I've got a banner question.  I'm in the process of uploading my novel and I have a gorgeous banner that Lady Asphodel made for me.  :D

However, I realized that I'd added the Dobby Award graphic to it from my win last year.  (Let's not get into exactly HOW LONG it took me to add that little part to the banner.)  Anyway, I was wondering if it would be okay to use a banner that had an award from another site on our HPFT archives?

Thanks!

toomanycurls

That's a great question! It's perfectly okay to show awards a story won on other sites in your banner or story summary.  8)

Illuminate

Hi! I was just wondering how I could find my HPFT author number? I looked on the archive and I couldn't find mine :P

Illuminate

Hi, thanks for that :) I thought it might be that but when I put 83 into my profile here nothing happened :P

EDIT: Never mind, I just saw the archive button under my raven :) Thank you!

WindingArrow

Okay, HAI! Like, literally right after NaNo I took a trip into the unknowns of the Archive and I found myself tumbling down a rabbit hole of holy crap, what am I doing? But I did it and I submitted my first story and I was very excited! And I checked back every day to see if it was validated. I think that was on the 30th or the 1st.

So, yesterday I got a little concernicus that it had been like a full week and nothing so I contacted a validator. After that, my story magically (haha!) said that it had been validated so I'm all like WOOHOO! But then someone said they couldn't read it and we were super confused.

Well, I log in today and Awesome Validator Laura had done some digging and said my story had been rejected on the 1st for having an advisory warning on an A-rated story and that I should have received an e-mail or notification. I went through both of my e-mail accounts (because I do not keep track of what I sign up with) and found nothing, nor did I find any notification of any sort anywhere.

So, onto the main event, the QUESTIONS!

1) Why did I not get the aforementioned notification?

2) Why does it say validated if it is not and if it is why is it unreadable?

3) My advisory was for 'sexual content' and the sexual content being very, very PG kissing, which is why I have the A-rating. Do I not need that advisory for kissing or should I change my rating?

I do apologize if this post belongs in the Bugs/Issues thread!

toomanycurls

I can message you the email address you registered with if that'll help but I did find that the archive sent a rejection email for the chapter in question (the validator email address also gets an email with every rejection so it at least went there).

Our archive has two types of validated: story and chapter. When you're on your manage stories page it'll show the story title and validated y/n. That's just saying that the story shell is viewable. There's a clickable link that says "Show chapters" which you have to click to show the individual chapters and their validation status.

After reading Aph's rejection note, I'd just remove the advisory and resubmit.

abhorsen.

Ninja-ed by Rose, but posting anyway, because I think I've got the issue with the chapter itself sorted. :P

It was rejected because A-rated stories shouldn't have advisories at all. The kissing depicted would have been totally fine at that rating, but the references to sex just bumps it up to a very tame T. I'm sorry if there was any confusion about that!

At any rate, it's validated now. I bumped the rating to T, and I've also added a Fred II/Teddy tag to the archive and assigned it to your story. You should have gotten an email notifying you that it had been validated - if you didn't or have any other questions, let me know. <3

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.