News Ticker

Archive Wish List

abhorsen.

Please use this thread as a 'wish list' for archive features, additions, etc aside from tags (the protocol for which can be found here). That includes new tutorials, clarification in tutorials/other pages, additional pages, changes in interface, etc.

We make no promises about being able to deliver on any requests; they're just a wish list.

Hi I didn't know where else to post this so please feel free to move it if it's on the wrong place.

Would it be possible to do a tutorial for formatting stories?  I just spent 40 minutes trying to do and got so frustrated with it I just gave up.  Whenever I C & P the story with the < i >  tags and went through preview, they were STILL there, as if it didn't read the code even though it says those were the allowed tags. 

When I went to edit, I found that it screwed up the spacing between paragraphs to what I had it as -- this is immensely frustrating and time consuming and just wondered if that's a bug or just how the spacing on this thing works.

Thanks!

Hi I didn't know where else to post this so please feel free to move it if it's on the wrong place.

Would it be possible to do a tutorial for formatting stories?  I just spent 40 minutes trying to do and got so frustrated with it I just gave up.  Whenever I C & P the story with the < i >  tags and went through preview, they were STILL there, as if it didn't read the code even though it says those were the allowed tags. 

When I went to edit, I found that it screwed up the spacing between paragraphs to what I had it as -- this is immensely frustrating and time consuming and just wondered if that's a bug or just how the spacing on this thing works.

Thanks!

Yes, absolutely. I'll write one up in the next couple days.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

After a month or so of settling into the new archives and getting comfortable, this would be my wish list:

• To be able to see word count (by chapter and total for multi-chapter stories) on the Manage Stories page

• Change the Manage Favorites page to have sections for Favorite Authors, Favorites Series and Favorite Stories instead of links to individual pages. It would save a click.

• On the Your Reviews page, a way to see them all sequentially instead of in Story Name -> Chapter Number sort order. Also, a way to filter Responded vs. Not Responded.

• On the View Your Statistics page add Total Word Count and Reviews Received, split by Responded and Not Responded.

• On the Story Shell page, I wish there was some way around using those multi-select lists. Especially for the warnings, because I'm always afraid that my computer won't register the Ctrl-click (or Optn-click) and I'll end up with only the last one selected.

Good things: For the story (chapter) editor, I honestly wouldn't change a thing. It works brilliantly for porting content from other Archive sites, Google docs, etc.

Thanks for all you do (and all you're doing)!

• 4 weeks later...

Just a few questions that I felt belonged in here...

-Is it possible to have the same thing as HPFF where it tells you about how many days/hours you'll need to wait?

-Do you have a sort of TA status?

-Could we maybe have something that could say "waiting" on the side of a chapter waiting to be validated instead of "no"/"not validated" because it can be confusing as to whether that means it is still waiting to be validated, if it has been rejected, or if it just hasn't actually been submitted?

We're adding everything to our list to look into - thank you!

I do already have an answer to one of the questions, though, so I wanted to address it. :)

-Do you have a sort of TA status?

Yes! We will be opening applications for members to gain Certified Author status at some point, though we're still in discussion about exactly how to award it and when to do applications. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! This has been bugging me for a while but I only now thought to actually post here and ask for it. *facepalm*

On the main menu for the archives - you know, the one that goes across the top of the page and looks like this:

HOME  MOST RECENT  AUTHORS  TITLES  FANDOMS  BROWSE  HELP

- Can we please have a button that gets us to the forums easily? I know there's a link on the front page but to be honest the writing there is so small it's easy to miss, even when you're looking for it. And an easy way to get to the forums from any page would, for me at least, be very useful.

If you don't agree that's fine, but I figured I might as well ask. :D Cheers!

Hi! This has been bugging me for a while but I only now thought to actually post here and ask for it. *facepalm*

On the main menu for the archives - you know, the one that goes across the top of the page and looks like this:

HOME  MOST RECENT  AUTHORS  TITLES  FANDOMS  BROWSE  HELP

- Can we please have a button that gets us to the forums easily? I know there's a link on the front page but to be honest the writing there is so small it's easy to miss, even when you're looking for it. And an easy way to get to the forums from any page would, for me at least, be very useful.

If you don't agree that's fine, but I figured I might as well ask. :D Cheers!

No, we totally agree! :) We're trying to find a way to add it - it's unfortunately not super straightforward, but we're definitely working on it. :)

I just saw the "House-specific option on archive" thread and got really excited, because I thought it was going to be about a way of finding story that heavily feature a certain House (rather than being written by a member of a certain House). And, I mean, the thing that the thread is actually about was also interesting, and I've left my vote, but I would also love if there was some sort of series or categories for stories about the Houses...

I mean, I could just start my own "Hufflepuff Stories" series and so on (and I had actually already considered it even before that thread showed up - I actually even have a Hufflepuff stories collection going on AO3, but it's not very popular...) but now it seems there could be some mix up between my series and the "official" thing (whether series or category) that might be coming conserning the writers' Houses, so I thought I'd post here and hear what you guys have to say. : )

Would having tags for Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Slytherin, and Ravenclaw suit what you mean? Then a story could've tagged/searched for Hufflepuff characters.

Yes, that's the major issue. I actually talked about that with a couple people last night as well, but I'm still thinking about how best to include it; we're theoretically a multi-fandom archive, so I'm hesitant to create fandom-specific tags like that. Tagging for the author's house on the forums isn't fandom-specific in quite the same way. I'm thinking about it, though, and I'll try to have a poll up about it by the weekend. :)

As a suggestion it could be added as a sub-category to the "Harry Potter Universe" Category, I suppose, but I know you want to keep those Era-based. Tricky, tricky...

With regard to Kapa's question, would it be possible to add new character tags such as "Hufflepuff Focus", "Hufflepuff Character", "Hufflepuff Characterisation", or something along those lines? Those would be within the HP verse so those character options wouldn't affect other fandoms, but it's possible to search the archives for specific characters so readers are still able to search for stories focusing on a specific House's characterisation. We could even add "Muggle/Squib Focus" as well, for those stories set in Muggle AUs or featuring Muggle/Squib OCs.

I totally understand if the staff would prefer to keep the character tags for named characters though, but I thought it was worth suggesting. :) (Also, just for the record, while I used my own House as an example I obviously mean character tags for all the Houses. :P)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I think this is where I'm supposed to post?

Would it be possible to have a preview option when submitting reviews, like on HPFF?  :)

• 2 months later...

Sneaking in here. So...this is probably code-intensive and crazy, but this is the wish list, right? :P Having just uploaded a bunch of stories, I did so rather haphazardly not thinking about where everything would end up and the fact it would shove my actual more recent stuff far down my AP.

I am wondering if there is a way to keep the sort option, but also incorporate the functionality that lets you move stories up and down in order to create an AP that orders your story how you want them.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Tanda

Since I don't have Apple devices, I can't select multi-categories at characters, advisories, genres, pairings,inclusivities, themes, story types.

I hope there will be a category options key in these sections ^ like the one of "Category Options-Selected Categories". 

Guest pookha

Kenny, if you are on Windows, you can hold CTRL while selecting advisories, genres, etc. And on mobile devices, it should populate a list with checkable boxes.

Guest Tanda

Thank you Carl for making clear that^. I might have misssed someone's twitter or post here about how to do those^.

I could make it.

Thank you again for your kind support.

Me again! I was just wondering if there is a "Report Review" function on the archives? I got a couple of spam reviews and would like them to be deleted but I'm not sure how to go about it. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hello! I'm not sure if this is at all possible, but I thought I'd throw it out there :)

With the growing number of Other Fandom fics on our archives, I was wondering if there was a way to sort through the different fandoms on someone's AP?  Kind of like how AO3 has it divided?  So like, I would be able to see all of my HP stories with one filter, and any of my The 100 stories with another, or something like that.

Thanks!

• Like 1

That's technically possible. :D The hard part is me finding time to write the code. :ninja:

I do think it's a great idea though! There are a few other archive things I want to poke at after my husband and I move this month. Updating the AP for this would be slightly complex with the query and UI update so I might let it sit on the backburner for a bit until I have a chance to dedicate some time to doing it well. 

• Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

I have a couple of questions - I think the first one was raised once before but I can't remember.

1) Is it possible to have the reviews you've left show chronologically (like on HPFF)? As is, when I click on the "reviews I've left", they're in some sort of order that I can't figure out, clumped by story, but the one on top is a story I reviewed over a year ago. I'd love to be able to see the most recent reviews I've left on top because I often enjoy reading people's responses, and as it is now, I can never find the reviews I've left, unless I were to specifically search the forums for each story.

2) When adding a new story: I'd love for the ships drop-down menu to be specific to fandom, like the character list is. Right now there's a lot of ships to sort through that often don't pertain to the fandom selected.

Thank you so much!

• Like 1

I thought I posted this somewhere before, but it's not here so I must've posted it in the wrong place or dreamed it  :couch:

When browsing stories, the "sort by" options are by date and alphabetically. I would love to be able to sort by story length.