Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!
Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!
Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.
News Ticker
  • See the May Bulletin for archive rule/advisory changes.
  • See our badges forum for more details about our new badges system!
  • The Review Transfer Tool is now ready for use.
  • Announcements

• abhorsen.

May Bulletin   05/01/2018

May's bulletin is up, with all kinds of interesting information (including a tool to mass transfer all reviews you received on HPFF to HPFT's archive). You can check it out +here.
    • toomanycurls

Annual Member Survey   05/09/2018

Please take a moment to fill out the annual member survey before May 31st.  
Sign in to follow this  
StarFeather

The Reason Why Cho Chose the Muggle Guy.

StarFeather

I've been writing the story about Cho Chang after I participated in TidalDragon's Knockout Challenge. It's quite interesting to write about the background of her situation (thank you, Kevin for giving me the chance).

I'm eager to know your thoughts about Cho Chang who chose the Muggle guy as her life partner (according to J.K.Rowling).

Recent Badges

PaulaTheProkaryote

I'd like to think that she just so happened to fall in love with him. With her background in DA I don't think she would have minded if he was magical or not. I guess, really, I couldn't pinpoint a single reason why I chose my husband as my life partner so I imagine she'd have the same struggle. It was just meant to be.

• Like 1

Recent Badges

TidalDragon

Well, I think Cho was in a fairly unenviable position even after the Wizarding War ended. Her adolescence in the magical world was not a happy one, what with the death of Cedric (presumably her first love), her eventual poor relations with Harry, who would have been even more universally revered after Voldemort's defeat, and while we only see this through Harry's eyes in canon, what would presumably have been a somewhat fractious (or at the very least atypical and potentially isolating) relationship with members of Dumbledore's Army after taking up for Marietta in OotP. So, in that sense, I don't think there was a lot holding her in the magical world.

That said, I'd also like to believe that Cho found happiness with the muggle she married. Like my headcanon for Sirius Black, I think there would have been a great freedom in dating someone completely unaware of the magical world and her past/reputation in it. It might have made it more possible to put Cedric's death behind her because she isn't constantly associating with people who regard his passing as an incredibly significant event and who knew him.

I'm interested what would happen with their kids though. Presumably both purported children aren't squibs so...what happens come Hogwarts letter time? What happens before between she and her spouse re: that history? I'm personally meh on Cho and don't know that I would be best to write it, but she definitely raises a lot of interesting questions, making this a really interesting topic, Kenny!

• Like 1

melian

It's an interesting question, not least because we need to decide how she met the Muggle bloke in the first place. My memory (which could be faulty) says she was a pure-blood, so it's unlikely a stray Muggle would have shown up at family events or the like. Perhaps she got a job in Muggle relations or something like that?  As for why she chose him, well once they've met and there is some kind of connection, she probably wouldn't have had a reason. Just about everyone I know has broken at least one internal rule about their life partner (mine, for example, is that my husband is too young; for a friend, her husband never attended college/university), so if Cho had always imagined herself with a wizard, falling for a Muggle would be just the thing to throw her a bit. You almost NEVER have a reason for falling in love with someone, and often it's despite something (eg the Muggle-ness) rather than because of.

Of course, my head canon could be totally wrong here, and Kevin's could be right. Without JKR to guide us we're all just guessing, really, aren't we?

• Like 1

FireOpal

I've always imagined that Cho - for all the reasons Kevin mentioned -  sort of needed a break from the magical community after the war, and decided to take psychology classes at a Muggle University to eventually do something about the abysmal state of mental health care in the magical community. And through some of her fellow students I like to think that she started to connect with the wider Muggle British Chinese community, and that she met her future husband that way. But that's just my headcanon.

• Like 1

Kerney
Posted (edited)

JKR reason (I suspect): Someone asked her a question about a character she didn't particularly like and hadn't put much thought into their future. So someone asked her, and having two seconds to respond, "married a muggle" is what came out of her mouth. Or she wanted to punish the character.

For where Muggle came from I have two options that are not mutually exclusive:

Muggle is sibling of Muggleborn Wizard/Witch she knows.

She probably spent the DH year being seen as a target. After all, she dated Harry Potter, some ministry offical looking at her file and see's dated Harry Potter and thinks possible leverage. We know this is unlikely but offical doesn't. So she's on the run and meets muggle. Muggle ends up friend and after DH becomes more than friend. Said muggle opens her world.

Couple thoughts on Muggle and Cho post war:

He's a white guy. Reason is Cedric, Harry, Micheal and Roger are white guys and we all have a types.

Cho's relationship with her wizarding family is not as close post war. She's gone from a rather insular but loving family into a wider world where their answers don't hold up. Get good grades and keep your head down isn't useful when your dead boyfriend lies at your feet. We see her balancing old values and looking for new answers in OotP when she reaches out to Harry but defends Marietta, meaning old values having a hold on her. She defied their wishes by joining the DA and then fighting in the war. The fact that she shows up for the final battle means new answers and a new mindset is starting to become dominant. Marring a Muggle is a simular indication.

Edited by Kerney
  • Like 2

victoria_anne

He had a nice personality 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Kerney
On 4/11/2018 at 3:10 AM, victoria_anne said:

He had a nice personality 

And he's great at wand work.

Sign in to follow this