Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • THE HOUSE CUP FINALE HAS BEGUN!
  • Keep an eye on the Prefects' Blog for House Writing Award results.
WriteYourHeartOut

Ask a Moderator

WriteYourHeartOut

If you have a question that you'd like a staff member to answer for you, please post below and we'll be happy to help you out! ^.^

Please note that answering questions in this topic is strictly for staff members to handle. Members who post here should only do so to ask a question.

Theia

This is nothing major but I'm curious - what are the squares that are shown under a person's User Info? I've noticed that the colours and number of squares vary and I haven't been able to figure out the pattern to them. I've also noticed that in the list of active users, some usernames are in bold. Is there a particular significance to that?

Also, is there any kind of system wherein more functions would be available to users depending on the number of posts they've made? (for eg. the other forums had the post requirement to get the search feature)

I'm sorry if this has already been covered somewhere, I couldn't find these details in the knowledge base thread. (and doubly sorry if these are stupid questions. *hides behind couch*)

Alopex

This is nothing major but I'm curious - what are the squares that are shown under a person's User Info? I've noticed that the colours and number of squares vary and I haven't been able to figure out the pattern to them. I've also noticed that in the list of active users, some usernames are in bold. Is there a particular significance to that?

Also, is there any kind of system wherein more functions would be available to users depending on the number of posts they've made? (for eg. the other forums had the post requirement to get the search feature)

I'm sorry if this has already been covered somewhere, I couldn't find these details in the knowledge base thread. (and doubly sorry if these are stupid questions. *hides behind couch*)

Bold users are your buddies.

No, there are no extra functions available by post-based group at this time.

Squares:  Admins/Headmasters have red, mods/professors have blue, members have yellow.  For members, the number varies by what year you are in (just like the dots on HPFF), meaning how many posts you've made.  We are working on putting together a FAQ/Knowledgebase article breaking down the user groups right now. :)

Recent Badges

Theia

Thank you, Alo! ♥

ImaRavenclaw

Not major, but just wondering. How does one become a prefect? So sorry if this was covered somewhere else, *hides face*.

Unwritten Curse

Good question! Earlier this month, we posted an announcement inviting individuals to apply for Prefect and then chose 3 Prefects per house based on the strength of those applications. Unfortunately the application window has closed, but in the future we anticipate inviting more members to join the Prefect team.

Recent Badges

ImaRavenclaw
Good question! Earlier this month, we posted an announcement inviting individuals to apply for Prefect and then chose 3 Prefects per house based on the strength of those applications. Unfortunately the application window has closed, but in the future we anticipate inviting more members to join the Prefect team.

Thank you so much!

beyond the rain

Hey guys! So I've been having a minor problem, to do with the PM system. I just wanted to know if this is something everyone has or if it's just me. According to the sidebar where it shows how many new messages you have, and at the top, I have 2 new messages, but I've read and replied to both. If it can't be fixed I don't mind, I tried my settings to see if I could fix it and I couldn't. Sorry if I'm just being thick and there's a really obvious way to sort it!

Recent Badges

Alopex

Hey guys! So I've been having a minor problem, to do with the PM system. I just wanted to know if this is something everyone has or if it's just me. According to the sidebar where it shows how many new messages you have, and at the top, I have 2 new messages, but I've read and replied to both. If it can't be fixed I don't mind, I tried my settings to see if I could fix it and I couldn't. Sorry if I'm just being thick and there's a really obvious way to sort it!

It is a known bug in certain themes.  Use the SMF default (not the forum default) or the mobile theme (which works on desktop also) for correct display of unread messages for the time being.

Recent Badges

beyond the rain

okay thank you!

Recent Badges

Alexis Black

Will we be opening up an area for NaNo, have threads for NaNo projects, adopting those brave (or crazy) enough to attempt NaNo? (We are at T-41 days ...)

toomanycurls

Will we be opening up an area for NaNo, have threads for NaNo projects, adopting those brave (or crazy) enough to attempt NaNo? (We are at T-41 days ...)

Yup. We'll be doing that closer to November

maraudertimes

Since we have a House Cup going all year round, are we going to have a Quidditch/Inter-House Quidditch Cup that does as well? (well, technically November to May?)

TidalDragon
Since we have a House Cup going all year round, are we going to have a Quidditch/Inter-House Quidditch Cup that does as well? (well, technically November to May?)

There will be Quidditch. Stay tuned ;)

Illuminate

Hi! A quick question: first, how do you find out your HPFF author ID number? As I was (and I guess am) a member of HPFF I tried to find it but couldn't.

Secondly- I don't know what the situation in terms of relations with HPFF at the moment, is it important to migrate stories over onto this archive? i.e, is it easier to do so for reviewers? Have people essentially abandoned the archives over at that site? I was just wondering as I've been so out of the loop and only have a small sense of what's been going on.

abhorsen.
Hi! A quick question: first, how do you find out your HPFF author ID number? As I was (and I guess am) a member of HPFF I tried to find it but couldn't.

If you go to the URL of your author page at HPFF, there's a (probably) six digit number after showuid=. That's your ID number. :)  (Also, yours is 157417 - I just checked. :P)

Secondly- I don't know what the situation in terms of relations with HPFF at the moment, is it important to migrate stories over onto this archive? i.e, is it easier to do so for reviewers? Have people essentially abandoned the archives over at that site? I was just wondering as I've been so out of the loop and only have a small sense of what's been going on.

It depends a lot on the person. I know that some people have pretty much stopped posting/updating over there entirely, some have actually deleted everything on their accounts, and others are still using it regularly. Most of that actually predates the HPFT archive, which just launched this month - a lot of people have been using AO3 and/or FFnet as well since our forums opened. As a general rule, though, I haven't seen a lot of people say that they won't review a given archive, and some will just x-post the review everywhere it's posted. :)  Does that make sense?

TidalDragon

Howdy! So...what I think you're referring to is the number needed to link to your HPFF Author Page in profile settings? If so, just log on to your HPFF account (or otherwise find your Author Page on the site). The URL should be something like:

http://www.harrypotterfanfiction.com/viewuser.php?showuid=XXXXXX

and those numbers that appear after the equal sign are your HPFF ID.

First off, HPFT and HPFF are not affiliated even though many of our members were formerly members of the archives, forums, or both at HPFF. Though we certainly encourage people to post as many of their stories as possible on our awesome archive ( :) ) there is not an urgent need that we are aware of to migrate stories from HPFF. Some authors here have chosen not to post on HPFF anymore and/or to remove their stories from that archive, many have not. Likewise, many reviewers will review anywhere that an author/requester posts or designates - many prefer to review only on certain archives. It's purely a personal choice for both author and reviewer to make.

ichigopan

Is a writing challenge considered "finished" if no one participated in it past its deadline? And does the challenge creator have to make a post about it in the "Challenge Hall of Fame"?

Thank you!

TidalDragon
Is a writing challenge considered "finished" if no one participated in it past its deadline? And does the challenge creator have to make a post about it in the "Challenge Hall of Fame"?

Thank you!

It would indeed be considered finished. Your challenge is still in the Holding Area in case you had granted any informal extensions, but if not and no one participated you do not have to make a post in the Hall of Fame. Just PM me to let me know and I can delete it for you, rendering you free to post a new challenge if you'd like.

Illuminate

Hi :) I have another question:

It's actually a silly technical question. How do you create a link? As in convert the long address bar into a small pretty link to click on? I'm not great with coding.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

EDIT: Just popping in to let you know that I went back and made your link I found as small and pretty as I could :)

LadyL8

Hi :) I have another question:

It's actually a silly technical question. How do you create a link? As in convert the long address bar into a small pretty link to click on? I'm not great with coding.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

Hi there. That's not a silly question at all :) The code for links are:

[url=yourlink]yourtext[/url] 

Illuminate
:D thank you so much!

MuggleMaybe

Hey staffers, I have a question--

I was wondering when the winning header and icon will be put up? Or if there will be another call for submissions, etc. :)

TidalDragon

^

Stay tuned, Renee. An announcement will be forthcoming in the near future.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.