HPFanficTalk
  • Announcements

• abhorsen.

January Bulletin   12/31/2017

January's bulletin is up! It includes information about recent staff/prefect bumps, the upcoming FROGS, some special awards, and more! You can check it out +here.
StarFeather

If you can rewrite the HP books, how will you change the plot?

I agree on so many points. 

1. Not paint them black and white (in black ofc) - with the message "all Slytherin's are bad/evil". - the way she explained them more than presented them in the book every single manager and accomplished scientist I met in my life is Slytherin :D - I don't see that as bad. 

So she even wants to stress this right? Like we keep hearing about inter-house unity and the world not being divided into good people and death eaters, but we rarely saw anyone even partially positive from Slytherin. I can think of Slughorn and that's really it. I wanted at least one or two obviously good people from Slytherin during Harry's years there. Also, slight tangent but I'm starting to think that Crabbe and Goyle should have been Hufflepuffs. Now hear me out, they were crazy loyal to Draco. Nowhere did we see any hint of ambition or cunning. I'm just saying that they didn't remotely fit the house values, but they somehow ended up Slytherin? 

Don't even get me started on Ravenclaw. I would have really loved for the houses to have more dimensional characters. I'm Ravenclaw to the core (ahem, okay, a little Slytherin too) and I can hardly relate to any claw characters even if I like them. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PaulaTheProkaryote said:

Also, slight tangent but I'm starting to think that Crabbe and Goyle should have been Hufflepuffs. Now hear me out, they were crazy loyal to Draco. Nowhere did we see any hint of ambition or cunning. I'm just saying that they didn't remotely fit the house values, but they somehow ended up Slytherin?

Omg so this is so interesting!

I look at the Slytherin/Hufflepuff divide re: loyalty as being one of scale - I think that Slytherins are often loyal to individuals while Hufflepuffs are often loyal to communities/broader groups. I'm not sure whether I think Crabbe and Goyle fall into the latter category, but I do think that a very strong argument can be made that Draco does. That's never really explored, though - which on one hand I get, but on the other hand, I feel like she's kind of doing a little retconning when she talks up Slytherin now.

• Like 3

I think Slytherin kept old prejudices because the threat of Voldemort and the old ways were still amongst the community. So those original DEs had their children who were Slytherin (to explain why Crabb and Goyle were in Slytherin - and also the Hat takes their opinion into consideration). I think post Voldy dying would see better house unity.

I would also change Cho - not that she couldn't be in the book, but I hated her for Harry's first crush. I just never liked her.

• Like 2

I know this is the pettiest thing, but I'd change Teddy Lupin's name from Edward to Theodore. When JKR revealed that Teddy was short for Edward, I was very upset. To me, he was always Theodore. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wolfstar wolfstar wolfstar wolfstar wolfstar  ahem :angel:

On 12/31/2017 at 10:07 PM, Professor McGonagall said:

I'd also have Harry ask for more advice. Not necessarily taking the advice, but just receiving it from adults that are supposed to care about him. Like McGonagall or Dumbledore, Sirius or Lupin.

I definitely hear what you're saying here, but at the same time I think Harry's behaviour makes a lot of sense when you're taking care to look at him through the lens of "abused child". His whole life he has not been able to trust adults. The people who were supposed to be his caregivers very openly didn't want him around, thought of him as a nuisance, and wanted him to just shut up and be invisible. When you grow up in that kind of environment you don't learn skills like "asking for help when you need it", you learn to quietly solve your problems by yourself even when they're overwhelming and you don't feel like you can handle them. THAT BEING SAID, I would've loved it if Sirius and Remus in particular would have reached out to him more, even if he rejected their help or whatever.

Regarding that last point, I think one thing I would've changed would've been Remus and Harry's relationship? I mean, James and Lily were two of Remus's best friends, and presumably even though he wasn't Harry's godfather he was around Harry as a baby and cared about him. It makes sense that he would be forbidden by Dumbledore to contact Harry while he was growing up, and I suppose I could justify his not reaching out in Harry's first or second year (not wanting to overwhelm him?), but after they met in Harry's third year and had such a warm relationship (Harry was actually opening up to him, which is actually kind of a big deal when you take into account the above) it seems weird to me that the extent of that relationship after the third book essentially boils down to "they have warm interactions and seem to care for each other... whenever they happen to bump into each other". I guess you could argue that Harry got a bit caught up in having his godfather around, but I find it strange that Remus never reached out with a letter or anything, or that they never had any kind of scene talking about Sirius after he died.

Also, I can understand why the relationship between Harry and Sirius developed the way it did (Sirius was on the run and then he was in a house that held traumatic memories for him and caused his mental health to seriously deteriorate) but I would've very much liked if there'd been some space made in there for him and Harry to just... get to know each other a little better. I know that part of the tragedy of what happened to Sirius was that he and Harry barely got any time together, but I think if anything that could've been heightened by more of a glimpse of what they could have had. Perhaps if Harry could've gone to visit him and Remus during the Lie Low At Lupin's period...?

I also would've loved more/better character development for Ginny, which I'm sure I'm not alone in ;)

Not gonna lie, I'd have the books written the P.O.V of multiple people. I feel having the opinions of multiple would even out the bias that Harry has. He thinks in a black and white kind of mindset, which is cool and all, but I want to know how Hermione and Ron thinks about all of this. Harry's like 'my way, or the highway,' and when you think of Harry like that, you'd see why Slytherins are viewed the way they are. Gryffindor gave him a family, Slytherin didn't. It was as simple as that for Harry. 

Speaking of Slytherins, I'd also like to change how they're viewed. There's this amazing post on Tumblr where instead of Cedric Diggory was chosen as Hogwarts' champion, it was Cassius Warrington, and it's basically what I had in mind and what I'd like to see. Hufflepuffs maybe seen as weak, or the duffers, but their reputation, while not the best, it isn't as bad as the Slytherins' reputation, you know? Slytherins have the worst of the lot, and they're seen as dirt. 

The series in itself has a lot of inconsistencies, and I'd love to see those fixed too. But then again, if you write strictly from canon, and use it in the right way, it can create a interesting story. ;) 

OH! I almost forgot to mention what I wanted to change the most! I love Ron, don't get me wrong, but I would've loved to see him have a stronger characterization! I get that he was loyal, and had his insecurities, but something about him always seemed off to me. I'd also have Ginny more involved in the series, or maybe have more "show" and less "tell" about her you know? Something to tell us that Harry was becoming more interested in Ginny, so her sudden appearance in the sixth book isn't so surprising. I suppose most of this could be changed with the multiple P.O.Vs because it would show Ron and Ginny's character outside of their relation to the Golden Trio.

Edited by TidalDragon
Combining consecutives :)

UA-79258518-1