Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • The House Cup finale will commence shortly!
  • Keep an eye on the Prefects' Blog for House Writing Award results.
  • Ask about our Review Transfer Tool.
WriteYourHeartOut

Flames

WriteYourHeartOut

In the world of fanfiction, flame reviews are something like a right of passage. And, unfortunately, no one is immune to them. The best way to beat them is to recognize their insignificance and brush them off as the worthless, petty, small things they are.

All of that said, have you gotten any flames that you'd like to share? Post below!

For those who don't know, a flame review is essentially a review that is insulting without offering any sort of constructive criticism. They are usually quite short, like "this sucks stop writing", and obviously rude, and they never seem to explain why they dislike your stuff. They're super lovely.

FireOpal

My stories generally tend to fly under the radar too much to attract flames, but there is one comment on AO3 that I've never been able to make either heads or tails of. It's for a story called Sorting the Next Generation which, exactly as it says on the tin, is just me sorting all the Epi-verse versions of the sixteen canon next gen kids into Hogwarts houses. On it I one day got the comment

5 weasleys in Gryffindor wtf is wrong with you and do you just love hufflepuff that everyone else is put in there!!!!

I wrote a super long, super involved reply where I basically explained why I'd made the choices I did and asked the commenter what they'd wanted to accomplish with sending such a rude comment... and they never replied. ^. ^

greisful

I got this absolutely lovely review on FFnet on my one-shot Bad Blood (and I was actually waiting to get one because the topic of Snape is a very controversial one, too bad it was left as a guest review because I wanted to reply).

Lily isn't some saint you know? Not to mention, I believe Severus only attacked when provoked (Marauders aside), so having him attack children for no reason is utterly ridiculous. So I find this disgustingly pretentious and just lacking on many counts.

If you're going to come at me for the way I saw Snape, at least have some better back up. And I never did find out the many ways that it was lacking unfortunately.

WalkingDredd

Not too much of a flame, but made me wonder why they were getting so annoyed about it.

Neat and on the rocks??

They contradict each other !

NEAT- MEANING- NO ICE

ON THE ROCKS - MEANING - WITH ICE !

I meant neat as in no mixer, probably shouldn't have added the rocks, but they probably could have said it without capslock. *eyeroll*

toomanycurls

I'm writing a trashy romance that involves infidelity among other things. Someone on ff.net took issue with the story. I put the review in spoiler tags because it goes through the plot for the first few chapters and is rather brusque in nature.

Rose has to be the stupidest person on the planet. 'Ya I'll just be a complete slag and cheat on my boyfriend twice in one night and then I'll bring one of those affairs around to be my friend' Its honestly disgusting that anyone would sleep with 3 different guys in the span of 24 hours. Thats an absolute slap to Scorpius and I hope he literally kicks her in the ass for it.

Stella Blue

The first review I ever got on FF.net was a flame, which I probably can't repost here for profanity reasons but it basically said that my story was inferior to some other story (which I didn't click on, but it sounded ENTIRELY unrelated). The other comment I got on that story was essentially "dude sorry about the troll, that guy is the worst" but also with no comment on the actual story.

office-karen-shrug.gif

SzmaMrw.png

By any other name, no doubt
You'd not find one that's sweeter
Stays clear of most hairbrushes
And all purple people eaters

melian

Okay, I've had a few flames, but this is the one that really sticks in my mind. I even saved it as a text document to remind myself how charming some folk can be. I've removed some of the text for language and as some of it is a spoiler - I believe there are a number of people who haven't read How to tame a Marauder yet - but the rest is intact.

YOU (words removed)!!! HOW DARE YOU (spoiler)!!! YOU (words removed) GOBLIN TAINT!!! I CANNOT BELIEVE YOUE! I HAVE BEEN READING THIS STORY ALMOST NIGHTLY SINCE YOU FIRST WORTE CHAPTER 28, AND YOU GIVE ME A (spoiler)?!?!? I WILL KILL YOU IF I EVER SEE YOU, SO IF YOU VALUE YOU'RE LIFE, YOU'D BETTER STAY AT LEAST 1,00 MILES AWAY FROM DALLAS, GOT IT?!?!? NOW SOME ONE PINCH ME AND TELL ME THIS ISS JUST A STUPID NIGHTMARE!!!

Yeah. It's a doozy, isn't it.

Khaleesi

I started writing fanfiction when I was a young teenager and had no idea what a Mary-Sue was, so yes, flames were all a part of the learning curve. My favorite flame, however, happens to be one I received for my most popular LOTR story on FF.net. I believe, if memory serves me right, that the character in question had a few dirty dishes in her sink. The review as is follows

good lord... reading the description of Elenwen's messy home, makes me think of how incredibly dirty YOUR house might be! Only messy/lazy people would brag about that sort of stuff.

I really feel sorry for a person who can't tell the difference between a created character and RL.

Also, I think we sometimes get caught up with the notion of receiving a harsh or critical review. From a reviewer's standpoint, I think it is more than possible to leave a review that's critical without being harsh. It's always important to be honest with the writer, but never, ever disrespectful. After all, the writer took the time to create something and no matter what the level of skill the author may possess, the reviewer should be polite to them. In fact, I belonged to a critique group for several years and I know that everyone there for the most part was pleasant to each other even though we were busy critiquing and nitpicking the heck out of each others stories. Those who are just outright mean, I think, are either immature or do not know any better. *gets off soapbox* Ahem. But that's just my two cents. Haha.