Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Staff/prefect applications are open!
  • Ask about our Review Transfer Tool.
  • Claim your badges!
  • Check out the new emoji options.
Sign in to follow this  
abhorsen.

Soccer/Football

abhorsen.

This isn't technically a fandom, but LBR, for soccer/football fans, it might as well be. :P

Still sad that Sevilla didn't get through, but I'm thrilled that Barcelona made that epic comeback, and I'm glad that Atlético got through as well. The draw for the CL QFs is in just over 3 hours, and literally my only hope is that Barca and Atléti don't end up with each other. That was my nightmare scenario last year, and it happened, and we saw how it ended up. :(  Sad Branwen.

Tbh, though, I don't think there are any easy draws except maybe Leicester - everyone left is really, really solid, IMO. I think a lot of people discount Juve and Monaco, but I wouldn't feel particularly comfortable with either - they're solid teams. (Granted, it's the QFs - they're all solid at this point.)

How do you feel about the draw or the title races in the domestic leagues? PLEASE TALK SOCCER WITH ME. :P

Crimson Quill

So I love this thread apart from I'm not use to calling it 'soccer', it's football  :P

so apart from harry potter, it's my biggest hobby I guess?

So I'm a Manchester United fan which most people tell me is just shocking considering I don't live there or anything. my obsession started when I was about 7 years old because certain David Beckham. I'm quite excited about us in the Europa League mainly as it's our best chance to get in CL really. We have a good chance to win it but sometimes we're just so unpredictable (probably why only 6th in league).

CL only has the 'big' boys left in it now basically. I'm so proud of Leicester (considering both Man City/Arsenal got knocked out, WTF GUYS.) Leicester so flying the flag for England. I would love to see them get through but they're only 15th in the premier league at the moment. It's a tall order but who knows! *fingers crossed*, only a couple of hours until the draws.

So, you're American yes? - why are you a fan of the Spanish teams? how did you get interested in football/soccer?

also, I'm up for talking about it any time  ;D

abhorsen.

Fixed the subject. :P

It's a good thing you're following me on twitter now, then. On CL days especially, there are often incoherent strings of profanity and punctuation. :P

I actually have generally had a soft spot in my heart for Manchester United (though Arsenal are my EPL team :(), but... ughhhh Mourinho is the worst. When he leaves I can root for you guys again. :P  So you like Beckham - how do you feel about Ronaldo?

It's awesome that you're excited about Europa - the way that so many English teams write it off always irritates me, because it's a really solid competition with some great teams. Pulling for Celta, now, obviously, but I'm not super optimistic - they're great on their day (as evidenced by knocking Real Madrid out of the CDR), but they're also pretty inconsistent.

Leicester have improved in form, lately, right? Still, though, I don't see them getting through to the SFs, either - everyone else through isn't through on a fluke, and Leicester needed a lot of luck to get this far. (Both in the group draw and against Sevilla. Sevilla def screwed up, but Leicester still needed a lot of luck.)

I am indeed American! I've never been really into American sports - I have no patience for American football and minimal interest in watching basketball/baseball (though I've enjoyed playing them). I played soccer some when I was a kid and occasionally watched games, but I didn't really follow until the 2010 WC. I got super into it and rooted for Spain partially because I liked their style and partially because like many people, I inherited my teams from family members - my dad and brother are Spain and Barcelona fans, so I picked that up, too. :P (Also, who can watch Messi play and not root for him? Like seriously.)

My life was kind of tough for a couple years after the 2010 WC, so soccer was really an escape and helped keep me centered. I credit the Spanish NT with drawing me into the sport, so I've strongly gravitated toward La Liga since then. I used to watch most games each round, but lately I've been busier, so I can often only tune into Barca and maybe 1-2 others. ("Only." :P)

I still cannot believe that PSG game. Holy shit. I actually ran next door to my parents' house after the final whistle to freak out, and my brother legit did not believe me, because he'd turned the game off in the 86' when they still needed three goals and that is the sort of thing that Barcelona don't do. (Because they don't have Sergio Ramos, basically.) I'm kind of surprised neither he nor my father heard me screaming. :P

Crimson Quill

your PL team is Arsenal?! I'm from a family of big Arsenal supporters, my granddad is season ticket holder so I got some of their games when he can't make them! it's quite the experience! I just think 'poor Arsenal fans' as every season is the same for them! they must keep hold of Alexis/Ozil if they want to make any impact.

Are you Arsene Wenger fan? I know he's starting to divide opinions! I feel like while he's doing the business money wise (always in CL) that he hasn't done anything different in ages therefore they're going around in circles with always the same results like 3rd/4th in the league and going out in first knock out stage of CL every season. Doing something different is a huge risk though! he's done a lot for the club.

Ronaldo is obviously very talented but it's all about image with him like the sponsors/adverts and the 'look' that takes away from viewing him as a footballer and a really good one at that. I don't really get Messi either, I don't watch a lot of Barca games so I think maybe I'm missing out on the really good Messi moments but he hasn't been that successful for his country.  he's not impressed me in any game I've seen e.g. CL or WC games. Like I said, I haven't followed his career much. the stats speak for themselves though!

I did watch Barca's game against PSG, it was really insane. very good game but I feel like 6-1 didn't feel like the score line?! I guess it all happened at once you know?!

Leicester have recently sack their manager so they're on up turn of form because of that. They have a caretaker manager until the end of the season but I don't know what's going to happen. Leicester could still very easily get relegated from PL.

I just got twitter with my pen name, I thought it might be fun. I've only recently got back into all this fan fic stuff so I've really dived into it this time. I'm enjoying it though husband (who hates HP) is getting very bored of discussing fan fic ideas with me as no-one else I know in 'real' life knows that I write/read it. xx

AbraxanUnicorn

TBH, I think Arsene needs to go! Arsenal need a fresh approach.

And go go go Leicester!! They're having a tough time in the PL this season, but have done blindingly well to get to this stage in the CL. I'm rooting for them, even though they don't really stand a chance of making it to the SFs.

abhorsen.

I agree with Brax - Arsene has done a great job at Arsenal, but they need a change. A change will likely see them end up in a Manchester United situation for at least a few years, but playing it safe is very underwhelming. I've seen what's happened with teams that get rid of safe competent managers, and it often goes poorly, but still, I think it's worth it.

Ughhhhh though those are some fighting words about Messi - if he hasn't impressed you def don't watch Barcelona enough. :P  It's true that he hasn't carried Argentina to titles, but I think it's worth pointing out that he's carried a fairly mediocre team to three consecutive finals. He plays a different role on Argentina than he does on Barcelona, def, but I don't think it's fair to put their failure on him. That said, I don't think that winning stuff with your country is really necessary to be one of the greats - Johan Cruyff never won a WC, either, after all. I'd love to see Messi win the WC, but for him - I don't think it's relevant to his greatness.

SO I AM GOING TO BE A TRAITOR TO MY TEAM FOR A MINUTE.

I 1000% disagree that Ronaldo is all about image and sponsors. From what I've seen, he's actually a pretty charitable and generous person without really broadcasting it. I do think that he's got an ego... but when you're that good, it's kind of deserved? Especially if your idea of going crazy is eating, like, one cheeseburger in July. :P  I actually really like Ronaldo a lot - I just wish I could root for one of his teams, but I can't root for RM for obvious reasons, and Portugal have never impressed me.

The 6-1 was a weird game in a lot of ways, definitely.

THE DRAW IS HAPPENING NOW OMG. I'm so anxious.

Edit: So I'm actually pretty okay with this. Atlético and Barcelona avoided each other, which was my major priority, and they both even managed to avoid the Germans and Real - that's more than I could have asked for. And Bayern or Real will knock the other out, saving Atléti and Barca from having to deal with them! Hooray! :D

Crimson Quill

Ronaldo - don't get me wrong, I don't think he's a like bad person or anything but I guess maybe I dislike the fact that he's a 'brand', it's slightly distracting from the talented guy he is but that's more what football has become these days than his fault as such.

Messi - he got player of the tournament for the last world cup, like why? he wasn't even on the winning team or the top scorer. He got it cos he's Messi not because he deserved it imo. maybe I'm being grumpy but I remember being like 'what matches were the judges watching?!'. he was obviously upset at losing the final but he was a really bad sport about taking it too! I'll trust you that he is the man for Barca though!

re. the draw: seems pretty good for you! We've got Anderlecht in Europa, tbh I don't really know much about them but I generally fancy our chances! why not! *researches Anderlecht*. I thought they were dutch, oops! they're top of their league interesting...I'm still going to remain quietly confident haha!

Aphoride

Ahhhh Arsenal fans :P :P As a Londoner, I can't help but laugh with a certain amount of glee when Arsenal/Chelsea do badly in things - I'm sorry, but it's true :P Also, one of my best friends is a Man Utd fan, so I mock them a lot. I'll try not to here, because it's probably not deserved, but yeah... :P

Live-tweeting Champions League matches is hilarious! I'm looking forward to doing it again next round - I didn't do it so much last round :) You guys should definitely join in! :)

Arsenal, I think, have needed a change for a few years now. They've been helped by the fact that they've managed to get hold of a lot of great players (Ozil, Sanchez, Giroud when he first arrived...) but they've kinda stalled now as a team and it's been made pretty clear there's nothing Wenger can do to change the situation. Also, I suspect that if he doesn't leave soon, then they're gonna struggle to hold onto their best players. And if it's the manager after an average season, or their top players - that's probably not too hard a decision to make.

My league football team are a little League Two team where my dad grew up as a kid, so they his and his brothers' football team, so me and my sisters grew up watching them play. In Champions League, though, I support Borussia Dortmund because reasons. (I, er, can't support either Chelsea or Arsenal for Location Reasons, everyone I knew growing up supported Man Utd, Man City are only good because they got plugged with money, and Spurs annoyed my League team, so... :P)

I'm happy with Monaco - I was really hoping for Leicester, just coz it would have been a great match, and I think it'd have been a great occasion for Leicester, yk, but Monaco's good :)

I reckon Bayern/Real is gonna be the match to watch - I don't think anyone could call it at this stage, really. Both teams have been on form, and there's not really much between them. Leicester I think are pretty dead, imo - last season showed that Atleti are pretty comfortable with adapting to each different game situation, so I can't imagine it'll be too different with Leicester. I'm glad they got through, though, because it's definitely gonna be the crowning glory on a pretty bad season for them (though, tbf, they were meant to be relegated last season, so they've had a good run of it).

Anderlecht aren't bad for Man Utd - realistically, if they can pull themselves together, they should win the Europa League, tbh. They're probably the strongest in terms of the players they have - and the manager, too. I don't like Mourinho that much, but I don't think you can argue with his success and his intelligence.

I do agree with crimson re. Messi getting the golden boot at the last world cup - I actually remember complaining about this with my sister and dad at the time, haha. For me, he hadn't had any special or stand-out performances, no more than anyone else, and it wasn't really merited. Sorry, Branwen! :P

Recent Badges

Crimson Quill

Aphoride - who are your league 2 team!? my second team (it's my husbands team) are in league two, Exeter City. We go to lots of away games. We're off to Luton to see them play soon! I don't know anyone else who knows about league 2 football!

Wenger - I can't imagine Arsenal asking him to leave you know? He has lasted so long (amazing really...) but maybe the Arsenal board are just happy to be in CL slots in PL.

*high five* for Messi being overrated. hahaha.

Aphoride

Ohmygod, wow - this never happens to me either! Cambridge United - we're not doing so well this season, sadly, even though we've had some great matches at times :/

Yeah, I don't think they could do that - unfortunately, I think they might need to. I think he's got stale at Arsenal - a new club would be a new challenge, new scenery... it might reinvent him, you know?

Haha ;) I don't think he's overrated in total, just in the world cup, he really wasn't that good. There were other better individual performers, imo.

Recent Badges

Crimson Quill

That's amazing, I love supporting lower league teams, I've been to Cambridge's ground like two or three times before! The atmosphere is something you can't really beat, every games means something to them! Exeter are still in the play off places by skin of their teeth, not too sure if they're going to stay there though. Being 12th isn't too bad, it's mid table and you've got a game in hand I believe. it's not too bad, at least you're not Newport Country ;)

Live tweeting football sounds really fun! I love twitter reaction!

AbraxanUnicorn

Ohmygod, wow - this never happens to me either! Cambridge United - we're not doing so well this season, sadly, even though we've had some great matches at times :/

Are you really a Cambridge supporter?? No way! The only match I've ever been to watch was a Cambridge Utd vs Doncaster Rovers game at the Cambridge ground, about 14yrs ago :) I think it finished 3-3 in the end.

What I can't quite believe is that in the whole world of the internet, there are three people on the same (niche) forum, contributing to this thread, who have all visited Cambridge Utd's ground :)

Crimson Quill

I think it's obvious that next place Branwen needs to visit is Cambridge Utd's ground. :P

AbraxanUnicorn

I think it's obvious that next place Branwen needs to visit is Cambridge Utd's ground. :P

:D

abhorsen.

Next time I'm in the UK I'll make a point of it. Y'all have a tiny country, it's about as big as my state, I think. :P

I actually agree that Messi didn't deserve player of the tournament for the WC, but like Laura, I don't think that makes him overrated in general - he just didn't have a great tournament. Given that it was the second international tournament in a row that he'd lost in the final, though, I don't blame him for being upset - individual trophies don't compare to team trophies for these guys, I think. I mean, look at Ronaldo - he cried after winning the Euro (with a thoroughly mediocre Portugal, no less) and explicitly said it meant more than the other trophies he'd won.

Re: Europa - I actually don't love United's chances.

Mourinho is a decent manager, but IMO he's really overrated. I'll admit that I'm a little biased because I saw the most of him at Real Madrid, but he was thoroughly mediocre there. He was there for three years and only managed one CDR, one league title, and one Spanish Super Cup - i.e., two major trophies. Barcelona, Atlético Madrid, and Sevilla have all had managers in the last five years who have equalled or outstripped that in their first three years at the club (or less). He antagonized Real's most popular players, too. Spain was clearly not a great place for him, but IMO he hasn't really been a top class manager since Inter - just a good one.

Anderlecht are really, really solid - I think United's got even odds to move on against them, but not much better than that. They've had decent showings in Europe over the last couple years.

I'm actually a bit nervous about Genk - Celta are good on their day but very inconsistent. If the Celta that kicked Real Madrid out of the Spanish cup over two legs and beat Barcelona in their home league match turns up for the next five games, I think they'll win the tournament pretty handily. If the Celta that's blown it in other big games this season and is currently 13 points off Europa qualification in the league shows up, they're out against Genk. :P

Crimson Quill

#wengerout

abhorsen.

Well. My expectations going into the match today were pretty low, but how 'bout that guy Messi? He's pretty solid. :P :P :P (They all played well, though, and Ter Stegen kept them in it, ofc.)

Like legit though, I'm still hurting over the Juve loss, but I'm really appreciating Barcelona starting to do the last minute comeback thing. Because, like, wow. Last minute of the match +1000. :D  Even if RM wins the title, this will feel so good. Barcelona gave Real Madrid the Sergio Ramos treatment. It's so glorious.

Now please, Atléti, knock them out in the CL. And then win it.

Crimson Quill

So the season has ended *sobs*

My husband barely knows what to do with himself without it! I'm missing it too but not as much as he is! I really know this time because the rumours about who's moving and that. Sometimes the rumours are hilarious, it's always interesting to see what the papers or 'insiders' come up with! I'm wondering what Manchester United are going to be doing, I think I've heard they'll want a striker (probably someone who we'll hugely over pay for!)

It'll be really interesting to see how Arsenal do next season with no CL, is that going to help with no distractions? They'll need to get into the EL via a play off so that might be a way into CL for them if the coming season doesn't go well,I'm not surprised that Wenger didn't leave, no-one at that club is going to sack him, he'll walk when he's ready . Do you have any predictions Branwen as a loyal supporter? or for the CL final? 

teh tarik

OK, friends, who's gonna be watching the 2018 World Cup starting in a few days?! I wasn't following any World Cup news all year, until a few days ago and I realised damn, it's nearly World Cup time! :soccer::soccer::soccer:

Any bets? Which team are ya all supporting? For the Group Stage, which groups look the most exciting?

It was a ton of fun discussing the last World Cup on the old forums; hopefully there are  people interested this year. C'mon...I can't be the only one who follows. :P

Crimson Quill

I'm looking forward to World Cup! I'm hoping to keep up with it though I'm due to deliver my little boy any second so I don't think I'll be able to give it as much attention as I normally would!

I'll be supporting England while they are still in! I don't have high hopes for them being serious challengers for the title but they are my home country so must get behind the boys! 

• Like 1

starbuck

i'm obviously rooting for croatia but i don't have high hopes for us -somehow we have brilliant players but we pretty much fail at world cups/european cups :hmm: the other team i'm supporting is iceland because come on, they're just awesome and very cool B|...their coach is a dentist :greenstars:

• Like 1

Recent Badges

adorably cute
1 hour ago, starbuck said:

the other team i'm supporting is iceland because come on, they're just awesome and very cool B|...their coach is a dentist :greenstars:

I'm all in on Iceland! The US didn't qualify, which is...a whole thing I'm not going to get into, but I'm rooting for Iceland because I agree, it's totally awesome and a neat story!

• Like 3

Recent Badges

Sleepingbagonthesofa
1 hour ago, starbuck said:

the other team i'm supporting is iceland because come on, they're just awesome and very cool B|...their coach is a dentist :greenstars:

Yes! I'd love it if Iceland won, purley for this reason. 

We didn't qualify, to nobody's surprise. So as usually ends up happening I'll be going for France and whoever England is playing at the time... It's traditional :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Aphoride

What else would I be doing with my time this June/July???!!! :P

Ofc, it's #threelions all the way, until our inevitable crash out against Germany/Brazil... I'm just hoping that this time we don't lose to another minnow (because as much as I love Iceland - they were great and so deserved it, dear god it was embarrassing :P) really early on. 

My dad got Germany in the work sweepstakes, so that's a second-line favourite (though I kinda like France as a team, too, so yk, once England are out my loyalties will be up for grabs :P

Spain v Portugal is going to be a hell of a game in the opening stages, though. I'm rooting for Spain :P

• Like 1

Recent Badges

starbuck

i have sentimental ties with germany (my grandparents, mum and brother lived there and part of my family is still living in germany) so i guess they're my third choice :D

Recent Badges

Sign in to follow this