Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Staff/prefect applications are open!
  • Ask about our Review Transfer Tool.
  • Claim your badges!
  • Check out the new emoji options.
Sign in to follow this  
abhorsen.

Soccer/Football

800 words of heaven

I'll be following the World Cup, as well! It's the only soccer I watch, really. Already have Australia's matches in my phone so I don't miss them. We have very little chance of getting to the next round but it's still always fun to cheer them on! 

adorably cute
3 hours ago, 800 words of heaven said:

It's the only soccer I watch, really.

It's pretty much the only soccer I watch as well! But I always get super into the World Cups, ever since I was little.

8 hours ago, Aphoride said:

Spain v Portugal is going to be a hell of a game in the opening stages, though. I'm rooting for Spain :P

I'm very excited for this.; it's going to be a great game! Can't wait to watch

• Like 1

Recent Badges

Alopex

I don't really follow any sports, but I have to butt in here with this story. :P My mom doesn't follows sports either, at least not systematically, but soccer is one that she still does pay some attention to. Soccer and Olympics were the only two things we ever watched on TV at home growing up. She's from Germany, so it's a Big Deal to her and I think also one way in which she feels a little connected to her culture. Anyway, she subscribes to this e-newsletter for Germans living abroad, and evidently there has been a lot in it lately about soccer/the World Cup. She excitedly messaged me today to tell me something funny from the newsletter, which was this: "Soccer is a simple game. It's 22 guys chasing a ball for 90 minutes, and then Germany wins."

So. #gogermany or I might be disowned. :PxD

• Haha 5

Recent Badges

Aphoride

It's a joke, but it's mostly true :P:P

Recent Badges

Margaret

Surprise, surprise, while reading this I googled "Iceland World Cup" and immediately what came up was an RTÉ (Ireland's TV station) article saying why we should all support Iceland and mentioning that "the similarities with Ireland's plucky underdog Italia 90 campaign are there." I have no interest in soccer. I don't follow sport at all and if I did, I'd be more likely to take an interest in hurling or Gaelic Football or tennis or even basketball, but like pretty much every Irish person who lived through it, I do have fond memories of Italia '90. Not that I watched any of the matches, but I still remember some of the songs.

abhorsen.

@Alopex - That is one of the truest jokes I've ever heard, and it will literally never get old. :P

Though I'm (obviously) rooting hardcore for Spain, because that's what I always do. Also for Messi and I guess the rest of Argentina by proxy. (I need him to win a WC already to shut the haters up and also because he wants it so bad.)

teh tarik

Great to see other folks also following the World Cup! :soccer:

Opening match will kick off in a few hours - that will be 3am my time. Sadly this means I probably won't be able to watch most of the live matches because boo RL and work!! :P

How does the timezone and match times work for the rest of you all?

Crimson Quill

Russia is between 2-3 hours ahead of UK I believe, the first match today is 4pm so not ideal for those people who are working. (I'm currently on maternity leave so suits me fine!)

starbuck

my little vikings managed to hold out against argentina :greenstars:

Recent Badges

Sign in to follow this