Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!
Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!
Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.
News Ticker
  • See the May Bulletin for archive rule/advisory changes.
  • See our badges forum for more details about our new badges system!
  • The Review Transfer Tool is now ready for use.
  • Announcements

• abhorsen.

May Bulletin   05/01/2018

May's bulletin is up, with all kinds of interesting information (including a tool to mass transfer all reviews you received on HPFF to HPFT's archive). You can check it out +here.
    • toomanycurls

Annual Member Survey   05/09/2018

Please take a moment to fill out the annual member survey before May 31st.  
abhorsen.

AU

abhorsen.

Share your favorite AU stories here! I'll start us off. :D

Title: To Dwell on Dreams

Author: Helen Jay / Helen J Haslam

Link(s): FFnet | HPFF

Length / Completed: 122,056 / Yes

Era: Hogwarts

Main Character(s): Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Remus Lupin, James Potter I, Lily Evans, Sirius Black, Draco Malfoy, Seamus Finnigan, Parvati Patil, OC

Main Pairing(s): n/a

Genre(s): AU, Drama, Action/Adenture

Summary: Harry is lost.  His parents are alive and Draco Malfoy is banging on his door.  What is this place, how did he get here?  And, most importantly, does he really want to leave?

--

Title: Sweetheart Tom

Author: @Aphoride

Link(s): Link(s): AO3 | HPFF

Length / Completed: 10,487 / No

Era: AU

Main Character(s): Fleur Delacour, Bill Weasley, Blaise Zabini, Gellert Grindelwald, Lavender Brown, Tom Riddle, Albus Dumbledore

Main Pairing(s): Bill/Fleur

Genre(s): Romance, Humor, Action, Dark

Summary: A tip: visiting your grandmother will end badly. Do not do under any circumstances.

(Unless you want an attractive side-kick with six o'clock shadow, a fairy godmother, and some kind of quest you've been volunteered for, that is - in which case, go ahead.)

In which everything is really very grim, underneath it all.

Rumpelstiltskin

Title: Devlin Potter: Riddle and Rescue

Author: GingeredTea

Link: HPFF (Mature)

Characters: Harry, Ron, Hermione, Lupin, Snape, Sirius, Voldemort, OC

Pairings: Harry/OC

Era: Next-Gen

Additional Genres: Drama, Angst

Length / Completed: 216,804 / Yes

Summary: Both Lord Voldemort and Harry Potter live on, and the second wizarding war continues to rage. But when the Dark Lord kidnaps Harry's son, he discovers a boy who looks far less a Potter than a Riddle, raising questions about the parentage of the supposed Muggleborn girl Harry married. Four years later, Harry is reunited with the son he thought was dead and must face the fact that his boy is no longer the Devlin Potter he was born to be.

Dojh167

Title: Between Takes

Author: Banshee

Link(s): HPFF ao3(Rated M)

Length / Completed: WIP Novella, currently 6 chapters

Era: Next Gen

Character(S): Scorpius, Albus, Rose, OC

Pairing(s): Scropius/Albus, Rose/Female OC

Genre(s): Romance, AU, LGBTQA

Summary: Nothing exciting ever happens in Uppingham.

At least, that’s how Albus has felt his whole life, until he goes to work one day to see a film crew set up on Diagon Alley.

This summer is going to be terrible.

Scorpius doesn’t want to spend his entire summer filming Hogwarts in a nowhere town, surrounded by people who want him to be something he’s not.

Albus/Scorpius Muggle AU

Reasons for recommending: This is a really fun and charming muggle AU. The characterization is interesting and the chemistry is real. It’s fun to see the altered dynamics in a world where Scorpius is a celebrity, Albus and Rose work at an ice cream parlour, and everyone is awkward and adorable.

FireOpal

Here are three of my favourite AU fics, and as I was about to post this I realised that all of these are also Historical Fiction. Maybe we need a category for that...? Maybe I'll even start it. We'll see. : )

Title: Raven’s Honour

Author: kelly_chambliss

Link(s): AO3

Length / Completed: Completed at 10630 words

Pairing(s): Background Rolanda Hooch/Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank (and possibly also Minerva McGonagall/Pomona Sprout)

Genre(s): AU, Historical Fiction, Pastiche

Summary: In the 1920s, three close friends open a school for girls in the Scottish Highlands. Non-magical AU. Featuring Minerva McGonagall, Pomona Sprout, Rolanda Hooch, and a Harry Potter cast of thousands.

Reasons for recommending: Up there in the top three of the best Harry Potter fics I’ve ever read. I could rave for ages about the language and the characterisation and everything else! The author mostly writes stuff I couldn’t link to here, but that hardly matters because this is her best work, in my opinion. It’s the perfect AU; you’ll find yourself cheering and nodding along when your favourite characters show up, and there are so many little nods to Canon to brighten your reading experience. The characters are so very clearly themselves while also being formed by these very different circumstances, and the narration is just absolutely perfect. It’s a joy to read (and re-read, and re-read)!

--

A word of warning: the story contains an ‘arranged marriage’ plotline, which I know some people feel uncomfortable about.

Title: A Muggle-born Magic

Author: Musyc

Link(s): AO3 (Mature)

Length / Completed: Completed at 50358 words

Pairing(s): Hermione/Draco

Genre(s): AU, Historical Fiction, (Regency) Romance,

Summary: Regency-era AU. Physician's daughter Hermione Granger finds herself in need of a way to pay off her father's debts after his death. Draco Malfoy, retired from the politics of the Isolationists, a group of pure-bloods bent on separating 'true' magic from lesser folk, finds himself in need of a tutor for his son, Scorpius, who appears to be incapable of magic and must learn to survive in a world without it. […]

Reasons for recommending: This is the only Dramione that I’ve ever truly loved. I can see the appeal of the ship theoretically, but with things the way they are in canon I can never see them working out in canon or canon-adjacent stories. (I ship Ginny/Draco, though, so lol hypocrite, haha.) This AU, though. <3 I love regency romances, and I love worldbuilding, and this story combines the two into the perfect match – just like Hermione and Draco turn out to be in the story, hehe.

--

Again, a word of warning: the story has an instance of comparison between muggle-hate and racism which contains a racial slur against black people.

Title: insurgere

Author: silverpard

Link(s): Here!

Length / Completed: Completed at 6322 words

Era: Other, ~1940

Main Character(s): Tom Riddle

Main Pairing(s): N/A

Genre(s): Character Study, AU

Summary: Hufflepuff is the house of the leftovers, the losers, the forgotten. Well, Tom Riddle thinks, it's time to change that.

Reasons for recommending: This is a Hufflepuff story like no other, and a Tom Riddle story like no other. The old adage is 'The wizard doesn't choose the wand, the wand chooses the wizard,' but this story is a perfectly realised example of a shadow version of this adage, something people don't say, hardly seem to know, but which is just as true: 'The student doesn't fit the House, the House shapes the student.'

UnluckyStar57

[move]PASS IT ALONG CHALLENGE GIFT[/move]

To: 1917Farmgirl

Title: Healing

Author: 1917Farmgirl

Link(s): AO3HPFF | HPFT

Length / Completed: WIP - 7,399

Era: Post-War

Main Character(s): Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, Ginny Weasley, Fred Weasley, George Weasley

Main Pairing(s): Harry Potter/Ginny Weasley, Hermione Granger/Ron Weasley

Genre(s): AU, Drama, Humor

Summary: Wars end, but healing takes time and courage, especially in the face of so many changes.  Follow beloved characters as they learn that life can and does go on, that family can mean more than blood relations, and that it's okay to love and laugh again.

Reasons for recommending: I'm not usually a big fan of AU stories or post-war ones where someone comes back from the dead. But, Healing is a massive exception to that because Jill does an amazing job not just explaining how certain things happen but also emphasizes the cost of those things happening. This story is both heartbreaking and lighthearted with each member of the Weasley family ringing true to canon. Harry and Hermione are also perfectly portrayed in this story.

Edited by LadyL8
Updated to include HPFT link

MuggleMaybe

A Pass it Along Challenge gift for Alexis Black

Title: Child of the Hunt: The Journey Begins

Author: Alexis_Black

Link(s): AO3 | HPFF | HPFT (all M)

Length / Completed:  46,648 words / No

Era: Hogwarts

Main Character(s): Original Character

Main Pairing(s): N/A (yet)

Genre(s): AU, Mystery, Action/adventure

Summary: When the destruction of the American Magical Academy forces Alex to flee to Hogwarts for protection, she learns that some secrets can kill and some secrets are worth dying for.

Edited by LadyL8

TreacleTart

Title: Intemptesta Nox

Author: Alexis_Black / ABlack

Link(s): HPFF (M) / AOF (M) / HPFT (M)

Pairing(s): not pairing focused

Genre(s): Horror/Dark, Mystery, AU

Summary: Aislinn knew when she was recruited as an Unspeakable that her job would be dangerous. Returning to Hogwarts as a student was a task she hadn’t expected. Facing death as it stalked the blood-splattered halls would be a nightmare she might never recover from.

Part of the Child of the Hunt series.

Second Place in TreacleTart's Psychological Horror Challenge

Reasons for recommending:   This was originally written for my Psychological Horror Challenge and boy does it bring it. This story is creepy from start to end and will really leave you shaken. OC Aislinn confronts the horror of Voldemort and his plans for Hogwarts in a really unique scenario. If you like horror, you have to add this one to the list. (Warning for graphic violence.)

Edited by LadyL8

TreacleTart

Title: Mary Su and The Totally  Profound Plot

Author: Marauderfan/ StellaBlue

Link(s): HPFF (15+) / AO3 (15+) / HPFT (T)

Length / Completed: one-shot/ complete

Pairing(s): Sirius/Mary Su, George/Georgia

Genre(s): Humor, Action/Adventure, AU

Summary: Mary Su, Ravenclaw Prefect, decides that she must outsmart the Weasley twins after an embarrassing failure. Also, there are Velociraptors.

Reasons for recommending: Velociraptors. Do I need to say more? (Also, a million and seven brilliant cliches)

Edited by LadyL8

BellaLestrange87

Title: Break Out

Author: TenthWeasley

Link: Mature

Length / Completed: 39,684 words / 15 chapters /yes

Pairing(s): Ron/Hermione, Arthur/Molly, Bill/Fleur, Harry/Ginny

Genre(s): AU, Horror/Dark, Action/Adventure

Summary: "Hell is empty, and all the devils are here." - William Shakespeare

Recent Badges

BellaLestrange87

Title: Yellow

Author: academica

Link(s): Mature

Length / Completed: 14,570 words / 10 chapters / yes

Pairing(s): Cedric/Cho

Genre(s): Drama, Romance, AU

Summary: It is 1917, and France is in the midst of a world war.

For Cedric, it is an adventure, a way to make his country proud.

For Cho, it is a calling, an opportunity to ease others' pain and suffering.

Neither expected it to be a chance to take part in a medical miracle.

This is what happens when magic and desperation collide.

Recent Badges

BellaLestrange87

Title: The Shadow Prince

Author: Lululuna

Link(s): Mature

Length / Completed: 17,898 words / 6 chapters / no

Pairing(s): none

Genre(s): Drama, AU

Summary: There is a school in Phantom Square in the heart of Bloomsbury, a school for young gentlemen wizards that can only be found by those who know where it is. When prize pupil Harry Potter’s parents are killed in the wizarding war, the young boy is left without a friend in the world – or so he thinks. A tale of loss and struggle, charity and love.

Based on ‘A Little Princess’.

Recent Badges

nott theodore

Title: Periphery

Author: firewhiskey_ginger

Link(s):here (M)

Length / Completed: 5 chapters / no

Pairing(s): James/Lily, Sirius/Marlene, Sirius/OC

Genre(s): Drama, AU, Romance

Summary:

Chloe never asked to become a member of the First Order. She didn't ask to join in the fight against Voldemort; to betray her mother's paralyzing fear of the magical world. She didn't ask to watch her friends die by their own hands. It only took standing in the wrong place, at the wrong time, to change history—and history still needed a martyr.

Reasons for Recommending: I don't often read AU stories, but this one is such a fascinating concept, playing with the time line in the first wizarding war to see how it might affect events. Chloe, the original character, is so interesting and easy to like, and I can't wait to read more about her story. The story also explores the effects of PTSD and it's really great to see it in a story and especially in this context. Plus the writing is fantastic and this showcases how talented Sarah is as a writer <3

Kerney

Title: Finding Himself

Author: Minisinoo

Link(s): FF (M)

Length / Completed: 40/yes

Pairing(s): Cedric/Hermione

Genre(s): Drama, AU, Romance

Summary: 

This is the story of the boy who almost died, Cedric Diggory, and his 7th year at Hogwarts, his friendship with Harry Potter, his romance with Hermione Granger, their confrontations with Dolores Umbridge, and a look into Hufflepuff house.

Title: The Changeling

Author: Annerb

Link(s): AOO (M)

Length / Completed: 11/yes

Pairing(s): Harry/Ginny

Genre(s): Drama, AU

Summary: 

This is the story of Ginny Weasley, who was sorted into Slytherin and her seven years at Hogwarts.

Reasons for Recommending both of these: 

Both of these are thoughtful looks into different houses which stick to cannon with some minimal changes but highlight aspect of their respective houses. Cedric faces Umbridge in a very Hufflepuff manner. Ginny evolves in a way that is still recognizable as Ginny but is also different in key ways. Both are smart.