Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • The House Cup finale will commence shortly!
  • Keep an eye on the Prefects' Blog for House Writing Award results.
  • Ask about our Review Transfer Tool.
WriteYourHeartOut

James Potter/Lily Evans

WriteYourHeartOut

Jily!!!

I love this ship. Their love-hate thing is way too fun to read and write about. James' ridiculous sense of humor paired with Lily's stubborn attempts to not allow him under her skin, and the slow way they build toward falling in love... Gah. It's addicting. I love how he grows into a better person, someone Lily grows to respect and love, and how she shakes her stubborn pride and gives him a chance, but they ultimately stay who they always were. They grew up without sacrificing themselves, I feel like. I just adore them.

Thoughts?

greisful

Jily gives me life I love this ship so much. I'll start thinking about them at the most random of times during the day and going back to fics that I've read of their relationships. Or I'll see something that reminds me of Jily and I'm overcome with this sudden urge to read as much Jily as possible so I go looking for fanfic.

I love the relationship that the two of them have, how their affections slowly build to one another and especially how they deal with their new emotions and pining after each other until they finally get together. Jily fics always make so happy, it doesn't matter if it's angsty and sad and full of suffering, it still gives me such joy to read because James and Lily are always there for each other and I'm like yessssss.

Jily is truly my OTP.

GinnyPotter242

Oh my gosh, I love Jily so much. It's weird that I would love a couple that we never actually see- save for memories and pictures- in the books so much right? This couple is dead before the books begin yet I love their relationship so much.

I love how their relationship grew as they did. We see one moment from them at 15/16 years old and at that point it really does seem like a love/hate relationship. I don't think Lily ever truly hated James- I think he frustrated and annoyed her, but I don't think she hated him. It would be very difficult to go from complete hate to love in a matter of two years. I think James was infatuated and had a crush on her starting young though (though I don't think he asked her out a billion times everyday- it doesn't seem like something Lily would put up with? Any comments on that?) and he was an immature, jerky kid at 15. As he grew up on his own merit and Lily grew up on her own merit, they grew closer and eventually fell in love. My favorite (canon) Jily stories are the ones that portray each of them as their own person who then grow together- those stories seem so real and the relationship in those stories is one of those perfect romances.

Also, if these two didn't get together, we wouldn't even have a story, now would we?

And I am a believer that everyone made bets about when they would get together at last. (McGonagall won- she beat Sirius by two weeks)

TidalDragon

Well, needless to say, Jily is one of my favorite ships - I am, after all, writing a novel about them :P

I am definitely a believer in the slow burn Jily because while I also don't think they ever hated each other, I think their fifth (5th) year was probably the most negative it got and it would take some time to come back from - not just some instantaneous realization and impromptu snogging. However, I'm one of those people who thinks that at their cores, James and Lily aren't actually so different. Aside from the Snape issue, I think part of why they clashed initially was: (1) the hadn't grown up and dealt with their flaws (yes Lily had flaws too) and (2) they perceived and acted in the world differently based on their upbringings and experiences and differing thought processes - they perceived these as stronger differences in identity than actually existed once they got to know and understand each other.

What I think I am the rogue on, is that I don't think James was ever all that hung up on or instantly smitten with Lily. Though there's certainly justification that he had a soft spot for her from canon, I: (1) don't see James as the type to pine, (2) don't seem James as wanting the commitment of a sincere relationship until he was in his last years at Hogwarts, and (3) have always believed his constantly asking Lily out in fifth (5th) year was more to annoy her and get laughs from others than out of sincere interest.

Anyway, I think this duo is awesome - an excellent example of the power of really getting to know someone, forgiving pasts, and how complementary personalities can combine to make transcendent leaders and couples.

#longlivethejily

MalfoysAngel

This has to be my favorite canon ship. In my not so humble opinion, (I'm a Leo so if I have an opinion you're gonna know it) the few insights we see into their lives is what a relationship should be. They have their differences, yes, and both drive the other crazy, separately they are strong, but together there's no force that can stop them. I feel that it was James' sacrifice that allowed Lily to sacrifice herself for Harry. Their love was one that would survive any test and challenge that came their way. My head canon has them getting into a massive fight that ends with Lily losing her temper and James kissing her to get her to shut up. The first war kind of sped things up a bit with their relationship and in a sense brought them together. Lily helped to keep James grounded, and James showed Lily how to loosen up a bit. They are the perfect balance for each other and the only canon couple that makes any sort of sense to me.

nott theodore

I love James/Lily so much.  They were (maybe are?) my OTP from the start, and I've read some absolutely brilliant stories about them (I think I maybe read too many stories about them and had to take a break to rediscover my love :P).

I agree with everyone here, that they never really hated each other.  I think teenagers have a tendency to overreact and say they hate people etc. more easily than people do when they're older, and there's a lot more pressure at that age to say things to "save face" (at least, it's harder to go against what your friends expect).  I do think that they were a lot more similar than they first realised and that as they got older they started to acknowledge that and grow much closer. 

Also, yes, I completely agree that Lily was flawed as well.  It's kind of strange that there are so few stories which include a flawed Lily, in my opinion.  By the time they died, they were both clearly really mature for their years (because honestly, they were both younger than I am now and I don't know if I could have dealt with the level of responsibility and stress they did) and I think that the growing up is a large part of them growing together.  Their flaws wouldn't have disappeared by any means, but I think they both likely learnt some lessons as they got a bit older and maybe reconciled some of the differences they had.

One thing that really annoys me about the films is the way that they portray James and the James/Lily relationship.  Granted, there isn't that much written about them in the books, but I think we definitely see enough that we get a sense of their relationship.  I know that it wasn't possible for them to include everything in the films, of course, but I know some people who haven't read the books and left the final film thinking that Snape was Harry's father, or that Snape and Lily had been having an affair, which to me doesn't do justice to the James/Lily relationship that we know existed.

ImaRavenclaw

My favourite canon HP ship of all time. They are the light and love, and without them Harry Potter would not exist. They are beautiful in every way. I think everyone just has these headcanons that James always hit on her, and she kind of hated him... And then they fell in love! Or is that just me? Jily fans unite! It's so cool seeing everyone else's opinions on this one, because it's really one of the major canon ships. I'm kind of thinking it's my favourite straight ship. I really love them.

maraudertimes

I love Jily so much. I don't know if it's because of the sarcastic and witty quips between them or the hate-then-love story line, I just love their dynamic. They're my ultimate OTP and I wish there could be more information on them because I would read everything about them.

greisful

I'm back here in this thread because I'm honestly never not thinking about Jily, it's always in the back of my mind. I don't know what it is about those two but honestly, whenever I'm feeling sad, I just go in search of Jily fanfiction, or I reread the stuff I have saved that I know fits the mood I'm feeling and it just makes me feel better. It's honestly like magic, I don't know what it is about this pairing, maybe it's the writers who do an excellent job of writing the ship or maybe it's because the two of them are so Wholesome™ but they just make my day better.

Does anyone have like a specific fic that they go to if they're ever feeling down or going through a romance phase or looking for inspiration?