HPFanficTalk
  • Announcements

• abhorsen.

February Bulletin   01/31/2018

February's bulletin is up! It includes information about recent staff/prefect bumps, our secret cupid event, our monthly awards, and more! You can check it out +here.
    • abhorsen.

2018 FROGS Winners   02/10/2018

We've announced the winners of our 2018 FROGS Winners! You can check out the livestream +here and the awards post on the forums +here!
Sign in to follow this  
forever_dreaming

Diverse TV/Film Recs & Discussion

I saw a topic for LGBTQA+ TV/Film recs, so I thought, why not have one more diverse tv/film recs? I'd define diverse as having at least one POC as a main character of the TV show/film. I haven't really seen that many (aside from Bollywood films, lol). Western TV shows & movies are just... not good at this. 

Anyone seen any really good diverse tv/film recs? :D

Borrowing the posting form from the LGBTQA+ thread :)

Title:

Film or TV:

Approximate rating:

Year of release:

Reasons for recommendation:

Title: Sense8

Film or TV: TV

Approximate rating: Mature

Year of release: 2015

Reasons for recommendation: I freaking LOVE this show! It definitely gets a lot of diversity points. Of the 8 most central characters, four are people of color. There are also a number of secondary characters of color. Plus, great LGBTQ representation. Mostly, though, the characters are complex people who it's easy to fall in love with. (I don't have a crush on Amanita at all, nope.) The first few episodes are a little confusing, but you get used to it. If you haven't seen this show yet, I DEFINITELY recommend it!

OH! I need to add another!

Title: 3%

Year of release: 2016

Reasons for recommendation: This is an awesome character-focused dystopia. The characters are racially diverse, and there's good representation of Latin American actors in particular. But it's also just really engrossing and cool. IMDB explains it like this: 

A thriller set in a world sharply divided between progress and devastation, where people are given the chance to make it to the "better side" but only 3% of the candidates succeed.

Edited by MuggleMaybe
  • Like 1

On 8/10/2017 at 3:25 PM, MuggleMaybe said:

Title: Sense8

Reasons for recommendation: I freaking LOVE this show! It definitely gets a lot of diversity points. Of the 8 most central characters, four are people of color. There are also a number of secondary characters of color. Plus, great LGBTQ representation. Mostly, though, the characters are complex people who it's easy to fall in love with. (I don't have a crush on Amanita at all, nope.) The first few episodes are a little confusing, but you get used to it. If you haven't seen this show yet, I DEFINITELY recommend it!

OH! I need to add another!

Title: 3%

Reasons for recommendation: This is an awesome character-focused dystopia. The characters are racially diverse, and there's good representation of Latin American actors in particular. But it's also just really engrossing and cool. IMDB explains it like this: 

I was so sure I replied to this but I guess I forgot hahah. I started watching Sense8 yesterday and ah... it's a little confusing?? I loooove the diversity, really, but the plot is really confusing haha. I'm going to stick with it though, only because everyone recommends it to me! 3% is going on my insanely long to-watch list ^-^

Title: The Flash (Arrowverse)

Film or TV: TV

Approximate rating: T/M

Year of release: 2014-present

Reasons for recommendation: I was pleasantly surprised by the diversity in the cast when I started watching this! Half of the main cast are POC, including both Barry Allen's black foster family and the Hispanic scientist who helps him become the Flash. They're all complex, multi-dimensional characters who Barry relies on and who have their own significant strengths that are vital to the team's success - sometimes including powers that make them superheroes in their own right.

• Like 1

Title: Killjoys

Approximate rating: M

Reasons for recommendation: woc lead character, several poc important secondary characters - plus you also get good lgbt rep, why settle for one when you can have both? You also get a beautiful and oh so rare platonic male-female friendship, which is probably the most important relationship in the show. It's a sci-fi show about space bounty-hunters, which also has a longer story arc throughout. It's really fun & ridiculous, doesn't take itself seriously at all, and the characters are all great - you'll even find yourself loving (to hate) the villains. Race as we understand it doesn't exist in this world, but the show still manages to do some really great explorations of systemic power/privilege/oppression etc. - only it's based on planets rather than skin colour.

• Like 1

Title: Jane the Virgin

Year of release: 2014

Reasons for recommendation: So not only should you be watching this anyway because it is so good, and the main character is a romance writer, but this show is about a Venezuelan girl living in America. She lives with her mother and highly Christian grandmother who doesn't speak English. It has a lot of Venezuelan telenovela tropes that it parodies, and it's just a hilarious feel-good watch. 

• Like 3

I can't believe this one hasn't been recced yet...

Title: Brooklyn 99

Approximate rating: M

Year of release: 2013

Reasons for recommendation: I present you in the main characters only already: Two Latina Women (Cuban & Argentinian descent), Two Black man (one who also portrays a gay character but thats maybe for the LGBTA+ thread) (thats 4 POC out of 9 main castmembers (7 in s1) already). The show in itself is an action/comedy, but also refuses to hesitate addressing relevant topics such as racism and actually has episodes during which it's a big line in question (such as how it is to be a male POC/gay POC etc.). Not to mention that there are several platonic male/female relationships going around, which is also a bonus. The characters in themselves are also incredibly diverse and are all exceptionally well-rounded.

• Like 3

Title: The Good Place

Approximate rating: T

Year of release: 2016

Reasons for recommendation: Firstly, three of the six main characters are POC, and are especially great because they don't feel stereotyped at all the way a lot of tv shows cast POC actors, which is just another level of bonus. Chidi Anagonye, a black man born in Nigeria and raised in Senegal, is a nerdy, anxiety-ridden, moral philosophy professor. Tahani Al-Jamil, a Pakistani woman raised in England, is insanely accomplished, yet completely overshadowed by her sister, and no amount of party planning, name-dropping, or charity work can win over approval from her parents. And then there's Jason Mendoza, the super hot and exceedingly dumb Filipino man from Jacksonville, Florida. There are also a lot of supporting and minor characters who are POC.

The show itself also stars Kristen Bell and Ted Danson, and takes place in the afterlife. It is very, very original, laugh out loud funny, and surprisingly poignant at moments. Not only that, but it's very difficult to predict. There are some huge turn of events that you usually only see in dramas. It's a great show. Season two just finished a few days ago. Really worth watching.

Title: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Approximate rating: T/M

Year of release: 2015

Reasons for recommendation: This show is amazing. But first let me talk about the POC leads: First there's the main love-interest, Josh Chan, who - very similarly to Jason Mendoza - is a hot, dumb, Filipino man, raised in SoCal. His girlfriend - Valencia Maria Perez - is a gorgeous Mexican woman who is obsessed with her weight and image, and can be very cruel and vindictive when she wants to be. Heather Davis is half-black/half-white laid back Californian and arguably the coolest person on tv. And there are a TON of supporting and minor characters who are POC as well. I also love that this shows main lead is a Jewish woman, and that the LGBTQA+ community is hugely represented. I think this show is probably one of the most forward-thinking of all time.

Beyond its beautiful and all-encompassing diversity, this show is just straight up fantastic and ridiculously original. It's a musical comedy, with at least two original (and usually hilarious) songs per episode. It can completely flip the switch and make you cry, too, though. Addressing mental illness is one of its main focuses, and it's just phenomenal, in my opinion. It's on season three right now, and the growth of the show and the characters from where they all began is so impressive. Don't let the title keep you away from the show, as I know some people have not wanted to watch it because of the implications of that alone, but part of the shows magic is how it tackles and deconstructs that very term in a brilliant manner.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WriteYourHeartOut said:

Title: The Good Place

Approximate rating: T

Year of release: 2016

Reasons for recommendation: Firstly, three of the six main characters are POC, and are especially great because they don't feel stereotyped at all the way a lot of tv shows cast POC actors, which is just another level of bonus. Chidi Anagonye, a black man born in Nigeria and raised in Senegal, is a nerdy, anxiety-ridden, moral philosophy professor. Tahani Al-Jamil, a Pakistani woman raised in England, is insanely accomplished, yet completely overshadowed by her sister, and no amount of party planning, name-dropping, or charity work can win over approval from her parents. And then there's Jason Mendoza, the super hot and exceedingly dumb Filipino man from Jacksonville, Florida. There are also a lot of supporting and minor characters who are POC.

The show itself also stars Kristen Bell and Ted Danson, and takes place in the afterlife. It is very, very original, laugh out loud funny, and surprisingly poignant at moments. Not only that, but it's very difficult to predict. There are some huge turn of events that you usually only see in dramas. It's a great show. Season two just finished a few days ago. Really worth watching.

I've seen snippets of this show everywhere and I need need need to watch this. I love Chidi already and I haven't even started the show.

Title: This is Us

Approximate rating: Teen

Reasons for recommendation: Where do I even start?  This is a family drama but it is real.  It also addresses some very real things both in the present day and the past.  The family that is focused on in the show is the Persons who are a mixed family the parents having adopted a POC baby in the 1970's.  The show explores day to day life for this family now that the children are grown while looking at their lives growing up and looking at the lives of their parents and how they came to be who we see in the 1970's.  We see Randall dealing with his identity as a POC growing up, the fact that he is adopted, meeting his bio father, and the family struggles with diversity including in family racism.  The show is about more than this as each member of the family deals with their individual issues, Kevin trying to find his way as an actor and get a feel for his identity, Kate and her struggle with weight. Among other things.  Season 2 is powerful as well as Randall and his lovely wife Beth decide to foster underprivileged children as they are financially privileged. They hit some real hot-button topics and even include  LGBTQA+ characters such as Randall's bio dad being bi and a few side characters revealing their sexuality.  Honestly, I cannot speak enough good things about this show that gets me overjoyed, filled with warm fuzzy feelings and sobbing my eyes out (not all at once but yeah).

Sign in to follow this  

UA-79258518-1