Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Congratulations to Hufflepuff for winning the 2017-2018 House Cup!
  • All the finale newspapers are now available for reading
  • Staff
  • prefect
  • and house newsletter editor applications are now open
WriteYourHeartOut

Original Fiction Discussion/Feedback

LunaStellaCat

I was told to come join here so I did.  I edited and edited, and edited a piece and I know it's still in the shitty first draft stage, which begs the question why I care so much.  

I'm writing about a black Londoner who confronts racism for the first time in the American side in Virginia.  I actually have to write or type  a word that I hate.  It's about a chef at the Four Seasons Hotel.  And I feel it's too ordinary.  But I like slice of life stories and not everything can be a rewritten YA thing.  I don't know.  I am just glad to get it on paper and have these characters in my head.  

Pixileanin

@LunaStellaCat sounds like an interesting piece.  When you think it's done, I'd love to do a beta read for you!

• Like 1

potionspartner

@LunaStellaCat  Is the setting in a particular place in Virginia? What time period? 

Recent Badges

Rumpelstiltskin

It really does sound interesting. Re: Why you care so much and are compulsively editing --> We're absolutely our own worse critics. :) 

firewhiskey
On 6/27/2018 at 12:46 PM, LunaStellaCat said:

I was told to come join here so I did.  I edited and edited, and edited a piece and I know it's still in the shitty first draft stage, which begs the question why I care so much.  

I'm writing about a black Londoner who confronts racism for the first time in the American side in Virginia.  I actually have to write or type  a word that I hate.  It's about a chef at the Four Seasons Hotel.  And I feel it's too ordinary.  But I like slice of life stories and not everything can be a rewritten YA thing.  I don't know.  I am just glad to get it on paper and have these characters in my head.  

This sounds very interesting!  I am of the opinion that "slice of life" stories allow you to focus on character development and social commentary.  And you care because it's your story and they are our babies.  This is certainly not your first offer but please let me know if you'd like someone to discuss ideas with (I tend to write realism/coming of age/"slice of life" stories as well and love to read them.)

Good luck!

• Like 1

LunaStellaCat
Posted (edited)

@Pixileanin and @firewhiskey that would be so appreciated I have no idea how to tell you in words.  

@potionspartner It’s set in London and Washington D.C.  present day.   Not 2018.  A few years before.  That’s you guys for your support.  

@Rumpelstiltskin  Oh, God I  have been watching too much Robert Carlyle. Very true. Excellent point.  Thank you for your support.  

Edited by LunaStellaCat
  • Like 1

FlyAway

Would anyone be willing to read a small snippet of a story I'm thinking of turning into a short story. It suspenseful and supposed to be scary, I just don't know if what I'm writing is scary. There's no gore or anything, it really simple but I hope effective. If you're willing to read it for me, please let me know! 

TreacleTart
46 minutes ago, FlyAway said:

Would anyone be willing to read a small snippet of a story I'm thinking of turning into a short story. It suspenseful and supposed to be scary, I just don't know if what I'm writing is scary. There's no gore or anything, it really simple but I hope effective. If you're willing to read it for me, please let me know! 

@FlyAway I'm around and would be happy to look it over if you'd like. :)

velajune

I finished this OF last year around August/September and put it on a shelf for a while before self-editing. I'm at a point where I'm thinking of self-publishing but I feel the need to have another set of eyes to read. I've been hesitant to ask because of the topic the book deals with. It's got a lot to do with depression/anxiety and family/friend relationships. I wish I could post the entire part of "Evangeline" because it says a lot about what the book is like but here's a snippet of a snippet. XD If anyone has any free time and want to read an entire book, I'd love some feedback.

Excerpt:

Evangeline sat across me, tracing the rim of her cup as she waited for me to finish my homework. We were in the library of the college I was currently in. A state college. I may have been nineteen.

"It looks nice," I heard her mumble, "must be fun."

Evangeline Vasquez's dream had been to attend college, for her mother's sake and her late older brother. She wanted to show them she too, like most people, could live a normal life.

I didn't know why she visited. I hadn't talked to her since before summer before classes began and we were well into mid-October, raining with just the right amount of dark clouds. I let her see me or rather, I was glad to see her. She kept tracing the rim of her cup, something that I picked up from her. It was a bad habit of hers. I'm not entirely sure if it was bad for me.

She wore a nice dress over a long-sleeved shirt and black boots. She'd taken her coat off earlier and I took note of the long-sleeve shirt she had. I wanted to ask but her absolutely defeated demeanor warded me away. I became afraid of asking her.

Evangeline always wore a smile on her face. She'd always be laughing or grinning, amused by the world. Now here she was with bags under her eyes, a far-off look, and fingers that traced the rim of her cup just so she wouldn't have the urge to scratch the itch on her arms.

"That wasn't the first time I'd been in that sort of situation..." My voice trailed.

I shut my eyes for a moment and inhaled.

• Like 1

Pixileanin
Posted (edited)

@velajune I'd be up for reading your story, but not until late August/early September. I just have a lot on my writing plate at the moment.  So, if you can be a little patient, I'd love to read your story and offer my thoughts along the way.  I may have something to trade for it by then... or a little later than then... if you're up for it.  :)

@firewhiskey I hate that first draft stage.  It makes me feel like I can't put two words together, and I sound like a two year old in print.  Keep it going, I'm sure it's just that horrible 'stage' we all go through.

Edited by Pixileanin
  • Thanks 1

velajune
1 hour ago, Pixileanin said:

@velajune I'd be up for reading your story, but not until late August/early September. I just have a lot on my writing plate at the moment.  So, if you can be a little patient, I'd love to read your story and offer my thoughts along the way.  I may have something to trade for it by then... or a little later than then... if you're up for it. 

I would love that. That would be wonderful! The wait isn't a problem at all. Thank you! And I'm totally up for reading any story in return.

firewhiskey

Hi again everyone!

@velajune I would be happy to take a look at your story.  My schedule would allow me to do small amounts here and there, but please feel free to PM me!  I can send you my email address if you'd prefer to do a doc as I love to make lots and lots of notes!  No pressure though :)

Also, I would love a second opinion (or third, or fourth!) on my WIP.  Here is a just-woke-up attempt at a summary, which may not deserve to be italicized:

Following the tragic death of her friend Zack, Joni flees her home in Washington State.  For years she blames herself for his death, refusing to confront this, and estranging herself from her once-best friends Avery, Marianna, Max and Luke.  The story opens in LA with their first reunion: a funeral for Max's girlfriend.  After the funeral she returns to Chicago, feeling that the worst is over and she can return to her life of hermitage.  But the always volatile Max continues to tail-spin, becoming addicted to drugs and losing himself in the LA party scene.  When Joni receives a phone call from Marianna, she fears the worst.  But it's news that Max has impulsively purchased the Edison House: the former family home of deceased Zack, located in the Olympic Peninsula of Washington.  It's the place where Joni and her friends spent many weekends in college, full of memories and ghosts.  Marianna begs Joni to return to her home in Washington State, to help fix up the Edison House.  All the while, Max is spewing drunken paranoia about a "curse" that has hung over their group for years, taking lives: first Zack, then Max's girlfriend, and now the threat of his own overdose.

(That was not short, wow!)

And here's an excerpt from the first chapter:

I have a lot more to say but will save it for anyone who feels compelled to lend a hand!  Thanks a lot!

screenshot 2.png

Pixileanin

@firewhiskey  Sounds fascinating!!  How far along are you in your draft?

@LunaStellaCat Hey, just checking in on the first draft.  Did you get to the end of it?  When you do, please ping me. :)

Also, this thread has been inactive for too long.  I don't have any snippets, but per a Short Story class I'm doing, I've been working on my "meaning" sentence, and also my "disguise your meaning in the plot" sentence.  Here they are:

What I want my story to mean:  "In a world where all hope for the future is tied to a broken system that no longer provides for its people, four angry youth find something valuable to fight for."

How I disguise it into the plot:  "A tech-driven culture of educated elitists use a failing system with depleted resources to justify abandoning the under-educated population who no longer provide value to them."

Aaand... that's what I'm working on at the moment.  

Rumpelstiltskin

I haven't had time for writing, unfortunately. It's a shame because I have SO much to write :( . Hopefully September will provide some much needed time allowances.

• Like 2

Pixileanin

I am also hoping (and planning) for a more productive writing month in September.  August bit me hard, with school starting and new schedules flopping around.

Cheers to a new month!

• Like 2

StarFeather
22 hours ago, Pixileanin said:

I am also hoping (and planning) for a more productive writing month in September.  August bit me hard, with school starting and new schedules flopping around.

Cheers to a new month!

Cheers to a new month to you @Pixileanin,  too.

I started with writing 180 words for a new chapter of Purification (M), Albus Potter centric. I thought of one mystery connected with the other fic, HP and Druidic Magic (M) Harry centric. These are HP Fandom AU, a sort of OF stories. One mystery connects a parent and a son, it will continue for two generations.

MadiMalfoy

Hi I finally decided to pop into this thread as I have started my OF journey with a character vignette for Nim's Narrative OF Challenge because I talked to her about my loose idea for an OF novel. I would love feedback on my ideas (I've a bit posted in my Writer's Journal already) for the novel and also love and support because I'm starting this as I'm starting my career as a graduate student for my PhD in chemistry, so like, I have no time but I'm still doing this anyway? 

So generally speaking, I really really loved The Martian by Andy Weir and how easily he was able to weave real science/chemistry/botany into his plot realistically and in an entertaining manner and that it was so well-received too. I love reading science fiction and I also love reading fantasy, so I wanted to sort-of combine the two. A world where magic, potions, dragons, and technology, science, modern workforce are weaved together in moderate harmony. 

My MC is a 27 year old PhD chemist and also is a witch with moderate powers. She works for a company that helps tweak potions with the help of potioneers and chemists to produce more consistent/stronger/etc batches of potions & chemicals for their intended uses. She's got a witch friend who lives in a little forest cottage with a dragon familiar and an environmental policy guy who is also very well-versed in the lab and an undecided third character to round out their little group. 

Obviously there's some sort of plot to be had but I'm likely going to go in a different direction than I originally thought just based on what I've already got written and how I want these characters to develop + how I want the world to be built too. 

So my main questions are: how do you guys world build when it's not exactly Earth? How in-depth do you go with details for your world? Is it helpful to create a document based on purely facts about the world/citizens/etc.? 

Is this something you would be interested in reading ever?

• Like 1

StarFeather
On Tuesday, September 04, 2018 at 7:17 AM, MadiMalfoy said:

Hi I finally decided to pop into this thread as I have started my OF journey with a character vignette for Nim's Narrative OF Challenge because I talked to her about my loose idea for an OF novel. I would love feedback on my ideas (I've a bit posted in my Writer's Journal already) for the novel and also love and support because I'm starting this as I'm starting my career as a graduate student for my PhD in chemistry, so like, I have no time but I'm still doing this anyway? 

So generally speaking, I really really loved The Martian by Andy Weir and how easily he was able to weave real science/chemistry/botany into his plot realistically and in an entertaining manner and that it was so well-received too. I love reading science fiction and I also love reading fantasy, so I wanted to sort-of combine the two. A world where magic, potions, dragons, and technology, science, modern workforce are weaved together in moderate harmony. 

My MC is a 27 year old PhD chemist and also is a witch with moderate powers. She works for a company that helps tweak potions with the help of potioneers and chemists to produce more consistent/stronger/etc batches of potions & chemicals for their intended uses. She's got a witch friend who lives in a little forest cottage with a dragon familiar and an environmental policy guy who is also very well-versed in the lab and an undecided third character to round out their little group. 

So my main questions are: how do you guys world build when it's not exactly Earth? How in-depth do you go with details for your world? Is it helpful to create a document based on purely facts about the world/citizens/etc.? 

@MadiMalfoy, Hmm...If you make an entry at my new story challenge (Dragons, fantasy), I am willing to drop my feedback. (I don't pester you. :D) I will add OF at the thread.

I remembered one manga themed Martians, the female protagonist had red eyes or red hair. I was looking forward to reading the next episode while waiting for the dental treatment. I think if you create your original plot, readers are eager to read next. :)

Edited by StarFeather
  • Like 1

Rumpelstiltskin
On 9/3/2018 at 6:17 PM, MadiMalfoy said:

Alternate Earth?  No problemo!

First, have you read The Kevin's post +On World-Building in the Resources and Information Forum? He was super thorough and it's a pretty helpful thread if you haven't been there already.

Usually, when world-building, I do keep Google Sheets. Especially when you're creating an Alternate Earth, I find it SUPER helpful to be as detailed as possible. So, I will have a tab for terra and geography, then another for fauna and flora, another for governments, another for magic and its rules and limitations in that world, another for economy, another for races (especially when dealing with non-humans), enemies vs foes, and blah, blah, blah. I think it is most helpful to have more detail on areas that are specifically different from the world as we know it. 

However, if you find this overwhelming or whatever, there are alternative methods than creating a worldbuilding book (I have an OF binder called "The Splatbook" that is filled to the brim with worldbuilding).  You can start small and work big (for example, start with the world surrounding your characters and branch out as you go). I prefer sussing everything out from the get-go, but that's just me. 

A world where magic, potions, dragons, and technology, science, modern workforce are weaved together in moderate harmony. 

This is something that I positively live for. This is why I love steampunk. 

So.

Yes, this is something that I am very much interested in reading. 

• Like 2

StarFeather

how do you guys world build when it's not exactly Earth? How in-depth do you go with details for your world? Is it helpful to create a document based on purely facts about the world/citizens/etc.? 

@MadiMalfoy  I remembered the title of the manga I posted, ^ here's the link to informaion 地球へ Toward the Terra (T) Wikipedia. This thread may give you some hints about your plot.  :)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.