HPFanficTalk
  • Announcements

• abhorsen.

February Bulletin   01/31/2018

February's bulletin is up! It includes information about recent staff/prefect bumps, our secret cupid event, our monthly awards, and more! You can check it out +here.
    • abhorsen.

2018 FROGS Winners   02/10/2018

We've announced the winners of our 2018 FROGS Winners! You can check out the livestream +here and the awards post on the forums +here!
Sign in to follow this  
beyond the rain

beyond the rain

hello everyone! I'm Bex, also known as beyond the rain on both HPFF(12-M) and more recently HPFT (12-M)

I have four fics up on HPFF (three completed) , and just one piece on HPFT, hopefully there'll be more someday! 

My favourite pairing is snape/hermione 
but my favourite character is minerva mcgonagall - and I mainly read/write about those three. 
But I also really like writing/reading about smaller canon characters like Ariana Dumbledore, the Creevey brothers, Marlene McKinnon etc
- or characters that were around during Tom Riddle's rise to power. I think there's a lot of that era to play with and unearth! 
I'm not very confident in my writing, which is partly why I've taken up RP to try and improve - so if anyone has any tips for me, feel free to leave them here too! 

I think that's it! Just ask any questions about my writing (i.e - how in the heck can someone be this bad? Or, when will you be doing us all a favour and giving this up as a bad job?) or the ships/characters/eras I like/dislike, or anything really!

tumblr_mcor7d94Qs1rk4m5so1_250.gif

Edited by beyond the rain

Hi Bex!  We can be new WJ buddies :D

So, questions...

1. I know that you make graphics as well as writing fic.  Do you find that graphics inspire your writing, or vice versa?

2. What do you find most challenging about writing?  What do you find easiest?

3. Which of your stories are you proudest of?

4. Since you like reading and writing about Ariana - who do you think killed her?  (Bit of a curveball question, I realise :P)

5. Is there an era/character/genre that you love to read that you can't imagine yourself writing?

6. Which aspect of your writing do you think has most improved since you started writing?

That's all for now, but I'll try and stop by your AP soon so I can assure you (even though I'm already confident of it) that your writing is wonderful! :bighug:

1. I know that you make graphics as well as writing fic.  Do you find that graphics inspire your writing, or vice versa? Usually writing inspires my graphics! If I've written a story, and I want to make the banner myself, I have a really clear vision of what I want to make and get across. Or I'll use a specific scene and put it in a banner! Although, half the time I make the banner before I do the writing, just because I have so many ideas that I can't put down in words, but I can put on a 700 x 110 canvas! Strange, right?

2. What do you find most challenging about writing?  What do you find easiest? Starting can be difficult! Not just that but making everything flow. I'm a perfectionist in that, I have to read something ten times over to make sure each sentence flows...and somehow it still doesn't! The easiest part of writing is usually the dialogue. If I've read/seen the character recently, it's pretty easy (I think!) to capture how their speech patterns and train of thought. Studying acting and drama helps a lot with that, because it's part of what I do to get voice and characterisation right. 

3. Which of your stories are you proudest of? So far, I'm proudest of three/five fics! They're not amazing by any means, but I'm proud of them for different reasons. 

storge - the only time I've written about Ariana, and the first time I wrote first person, specifically first person of someone struggling with mental illness and insanity. I was really surprised it got such good feedback! I'd never written so artistically, but I really loved doing it. 

In the Mourning - my first completed fic! I actually really enjoyed writing this too, because I got to write Minerva, and I got to leave a few headcanons in that I'd thought about for years. I've actually accepted ITM as a headcanon now, aha! 

How Hogwarts Scarred Me For Life: By Enid McElderry - another first! My first OC! My first Snamione too! The fic is about a relationship through another person's eyes, and how that person really doesn't want to know. It's surprisingly light and fluffy, and funny - which i'm still not sure I can do. It's the only fic of my own that I can actually read through without cringing. 

4. Since you like reading and writing about Ariana - who do you think killed her?  (Bit of a curveball question, I realise :P) Such a good question! Out of the three I think it was most likely Albus, and I think Dumbledore being the strange wonder he is, he knows it too. Buuuut I also think it was really none of them and that it was Ariana's own magic that killed her. 

5. Is there an era/character/genre that you love to read that you can't imagine yourself writing? I enjoy reading headcanons and time travel marauder fics - but I could never write one! The one wip i have is late 80s, just post marauders. But I'd love to write those confident, funny characters like Sirius and James, but I've never been able to do it!

6. Which aspect of your writing do you think has most improved since you started writing? Probably the structure? I feel like people can follow my fics a bit better than they could before...but it's still something I'm working on! 

Thank you so much for these amazing questions! 

Hello Bex!

So happy to be here to ask you questions about your writing! Here we go!

To start off: I personally love talking about my favorite ships, so here are a few questions about yours!

1. What are your top three reasons for shipping Hermione/Snape?
  2. Do you think you like time-travel Hermione/Snape better than you would like them in the canonical timeline?
  3. When you think of Hermione/Snape, do you like to take his love for Lily out of the equation (i.e. it didn't happen), or work around it?
  4. If you had to choose a pairing other than Hermione/Snape, what would be your favorite?

Other questions:

1. Your graphics are so lovely! Have you been making graphics or writing fanfiction longer? What is your method for each? (e.g. putting on music, having a particular snack or drink, certain creating environments, etc.)
  2. Where do you find inspiration for stories?
  3. If you had to choose a pet to take to Hogwarts, what would it be? And what would you name it?

All right! I think that's it for now! Thanks for answering when you get around to it!

Best,
Emily

• Like 1

Hi Emily! Thank you for the lovely questions - I'm really excited to answer them! 

1. What are your top three reasons for shipping severus/hermione? 

one: I always think Hermione would be with someone that her friends wouldn't understand. I hate fics that ron/harry/ginny/neville bash, because I think all her friends would be supportive of her relationship with Snape, but they wouldn't warm to him at all. They'd be formal, make light conversation - and would never be on a first name basis. And I think that's really fun to explore, like there's not many characters where that would happen and still make sense. 

two: I think what makes a good ship is problems beforehand. My favourites are the ones that have a lot of what if moments, or cute almost moments - but there's things stopping them. First off there's the age gap, there's her friends not liking him, there's the fact that Hermione is an intelligent muggle born just like Lily, but Lily was this great beauty and Hermione's evidently had some confidence issues with her looks over the years. I like the evolution of people going from just 'knowing' of each other and having a basic relationship, to evolving and becoming close in their own way...and then being together. I've never liked the straight forward! 

three: most importantly, they're just so well matched! The both of them are really skilled and intelligent, neither of them are very good at making impressions or making themselves 'liked'. Hermione would balance Severus out in that he can be so cut throat and bitter, whereas she's a lot more kind hearted and would soften him up ever so slightly. Severus would also help Hermione with her emotions and dealing with the prospect that you can't be good at everything. Let's not forget that Severus isn't a terrible person either, he's so thoughtful and cares more deeply than any character I've ever encountered.  

2. Do you think you like time-travel Hermione/Snape better than you would like them in the canonical timeline?

Oh I like them both for different reasons! Time travel snamione is always fun because Hermione always starts off being so methodical and clever about how she does things in the past...but once she falls for severus she has to balance out what her head says and her heart. It also gives Severus an easier time in school and youth, I understand why JK gave Snape such a hard time in school, but people seem to forget that James and Sirius were bullies - and I think having Hermione around makes things a little bit easier.  

The canonical timeline is always fun - especially if they work together at Hogwarts, the ministry or in an apothecary (i've written two out of the three of those situations because they're the most fun!) 

3. When you think of Hermione/Snape, do you like to take his love for Lily out of the equation (i.e. it didn't happen), or work around it?

I always consider Lily, I think she's a really important part of it. I don't like it when people disregard her or her love for him. Again it's an obstacle, and I love seeing people try to overcome that rather than ignore their relationship. As well, Severus' love for her is such a big part of the HP plot too...to ignore that would be like ignoring Dumbledore's love for muggle sweets! 

4. If you had to choose a pairing besides Hermione/Snape, what would it be? 
The ones I'm interested in are those that involve Minerva. I'm currently at a place where I don't need to read her in a romantic sense to enjoy a Minerva fic. But, I used to be obsessed with Tom/Minerva...now that's died down a lot, I'm more interested in Minerva/OC. If there's one thing I hate, it's what JK did to Minerva. Her back story involving the farmer and then Elphinstone Urquart...nah. I don't like it or agree with it one bit. She could've taken Minerva's life anywhere...and the route she went down was just so heartbreaking. I like AUs that look at Minerva as a young woman who might fall in love, or a seventh year battling her conscience and her one track logical mind against a crush she has on a fellow student. I think she'd either go for someone as charming and mysterious as Tom Riddle, or someone who's surface annoys her no end. I have a big love for gryffindor/slytherin relationships in general though! 

OTHER QUESTIONS

1. Your graphics are so lovely! Have you been making graphics or writing fanfiction longer? What is your method for each? (e.g. putting on music, having a particular snack or drink, certain creating environments, etc.) Thank you! I've actually been writing fanfiction longer by about 10 months...I joined HPFF 1st Jan 2010, I joined TDA may 2010 but made graphics as of november that year (don't ask me how i remember all those dates!) For graphics I generally need music on, I work best with Fleetwood Mac, Patti Labelle, Aretha Franklin, Paramore, a lot of 70s based music, or whatever I'm feeling at the time! Right now it's a mix of Nina Simone and the Guardians of the Galaxy vol.2 soundtrack! With writing, it generally has to be a specific kind of classical or soundtrack. No words. When I wrote my angsty Harry and Minerva (no romance i promise!) fic, I had to listen to Dumbledore's Farewell on loop for a solid five/six hours to write the last chapter. But then when I wrote the epilogue, I switched between the Peter and the Wolf soundtrack and Clair De Lune. Music is always necessary for both, and when I write I usually need a coffee or ten! 

2. Where do you find inspiration for stories? Honestly, I'm not sure. It can be a show, some music, something that happens in history and my brain just makes itself known - or a scene just occurs. Usually I see a scene before a plot. Like right now I'm writing Snamione set in the suffragette period, and I just had an image of Hermione at a march or seeing her 'friend' Emily Davison die at the races and I worked from there. They're always accidental. Someone just says something and the cogs go round! 

3. If you had to choose a pet to take to Hogwarts, what would it be? And what would you name it? One of my RP characters actually takes a pug to hogwarts, so following that train of thought I'd take a scottie or westie dog, and call him Bacon haha! 

Loved answering these, thank you!

[i have no idea if double posting is okay but i guess we'll find out soon enough] 

i have a few vague ideas I'd really like to write, but I've never really gotten around to doing.
I'm not sure if they'll ever happen, BUT it keeps my writer's journal alive! 

• a Molly ii centric novella. Originally inspired by this++ (by me) but I've made a few changes. Originally Molly (ii) was going to be a rebellious student failing her classes, and was going to be sent to Nana Weasley for the summer before her seventh year to see if the matriarch of the Weasley clan could set her granddaughter back on the straight and narrow. Now with a banner/face claim change here++ (also by me) , the idea is now that Molly ii was never very close to her grandmother, but more so Arthur. Arthur passed away a year before the fic is set, and everyone notices subtle changes in Molly. She was never very loud or outgoing but now she's even less so. Her grades are slipping and she's somewhat more isolated than before, and is distancing herself from both her family and friends. Molly (i) Weasley now lives alone in the Burrow and while she puts on a good front, you can tell she's still grieving for her husband. To kill two birds with one stone, Percy sends his daughter to go and stay with her namesake for the summer before her seventh year, telling his mother he needs her to help with his daughter, and vice versa (so they think that they're helping the other, when really they both need each other). There'd be lots of teen angst, awkward behaviour, grieving and learning more about each other (such as how Molly's more than just a housewife, and Molly ii has a passion for sewing and dreams of opening her own tailors to rival madam malkin's someday) 
  • Very short one shot, based on Moaning Myrtle and Minerva McGonagall. Just in case people need a reminder of how wonderful a teacher McGonagall is, this fic should hopefully do the trick (if I ever write it) 
  • snamione au set in the suffragette period. There are wizard laws against helping the female equality movement, but Hermione wants to see Emmeline Pankhurst up close. 

I've had the molly x2 idea for roughly 2 years now but i don't really do novels so I doubt it's something I'll ever commit to, the snamione AU i've had in mind for 6 months, I wrote a draft...but then I lost it, and since then I've reworked the idea - and I've had the moaning myrtle plot since Christmas - and out of the three that's probably the only one i'll ever write, haha! 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this  

UA-79258518-1