Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • The House Cup finale will commence shortly!
  • Keep an eye on the Prefects' Blog for House Writing Award results.
  • Ask about our Review Transfer Tool.
Sign in to follow this  
beyond the rain

beyond the rain

beyond the rain

hello everyone! I'm Bex, also known as beyond the rain on both HPFF(12-M) and more recently HPFT (12-M)

I have four fics up on HPFF (three completed) , and just one piece on HPFT, hopefully there'll be more someday! 

My favourite pairing is snape/hermione 
but my favourite character is minerva mcgonagall - and I mainly read/write about those three. 
But I also really like writing/reading about smaller canon characters like Ariana Dumbledore, the Creevey brothers, Marlene McKinnon etc
- or characters that were around during Tom Riddle's rise to power. I think there's a lot of that era to play with and unearth! 
I'm not very confident in my writing, which is partly why I've taken up RP to try and improve - so if anyone has any tips for me, feel free to leave them here too! 

I think that's it! Just ask any questions about my writing (i.e - how in the heck can someone be this bad? Or, when will you be doing us all a favour and giving this up as a bad job?) or the ships/characters/eras I like/dislike, or anything really!

tumblr_mcor7d94Qs1rk4m5so1_250.gif

Edited by beyond the rain

Recent Badges

nott theodore

Hi Bex!  We can be new WJ buddies :D

So, questions...

1. I know that you make graphics as well as writing fic.  Do you find that graphics inspire your writing, or vice versa?

2. What do you find most challenging about writing?  What do you find easiest?

3. Which of your stories are you proudest of?

4. Since you like reading and writing about Ariana - who do you think killed her?  (Bit of a curveball question, I realise :P)

5. Is there an era/character/genre that you love to read that you can't imagine yourself writing?

6. Which aspect of your writing do you think has most improved since you started writing?

That's all for now, but I'll try and stop by your AP soon so I can assure you (even though I'm already confident of it) that your writing is wonderful! :bighug:

beyond the rain

1. I know that you make graphics as well as writing fic.  Do you find that graphics inspire your writing, or vice versa? Usually writing inspires my graphics! If I've written a story, and I want to make the banner myself, I have a really clear vision of what I want to make and get across. Or I'll use a specific scene and put it in a banner! Although, half the time I make the banner before I do the writing, just because I have so many ideas that I can't put down in words, but I can put on a 700 x 110 canvas! Strange, right?

2. What do you find most challenging about writing?  What do you find easiest? Starting can be difficult! Not just that but making everything flow. I'm a perfectionist in that, I have to read something ten times over to make sure each sentence flows...and somehow it still doesn't! The easiest part of writing is usually the dialogue. If I've read/seen the character recently, it's pretty easy (I think!) to capture how their speech patterns and train of thought. Studying acting and drama helps a lot with that, because it's part of what I do to get voice and characterisation right. 

3. Which of your stories are you proudest of? So far, I'm proudest of three/five fics! They're not amazing by any means, but I'm proud of them for different reasons. 

storge - the only time I've written about Ariana, and the first time I wrote first person, specifically first person of someone struggling with mental illness and insanity. I was really surprised it got such good feedback! I'd never written so artistically, but I really loved doing it. 

In the Mourning - my first completed fic! I actually really enjoyed writing this too, because I got to write Minerva, and I got to leave a few headcanons in that I'd thought about for years. I've actually accepted ITM as a headcanon now, aha! 

How Hogwarts Scarred Me For Life: By Enid McElderry - another first! My first OC! My first Snamione too! The fic is about a relationship through another person's eyes, and how that person really doesn't want to know. It's surprisingly light and fluffy, and funny - which i'm still not sure I can do. It's the only fic of my own that I can actually read through without cringing. 

4. Since you like reading and writing about Ariana - who do you think killed her?  (Bit of a curveball question, I realise :P) Such a good question! Out of the three I think it was most likely Albus, and I think Dumbledore being the strange wonder he is, he knows it too. Buuuut I also think it was really none of them and that it was Ariana's own magic that killed her. 

5. Is there an era/character/genre that you love to read that you can't imagine yourself writing? I enjoy reading headcanons and time travel marauder fics - but I could never write one! The one wip i have is late 80s, just post marauders. But I'd love to write those confident, funny characters like Sirius and James, but I've never been able to do it!

6. Which aspect of your writing do you think has most improved since you started writing? Probably the structure? I feel like people can follow my fics a bit better than they could before...but it's still something I'm working on! 

Thank you so much for these amazing questions! 

Recent Badges

Renacerá

Hello Bex!

So happy to be here to ask you questions about your writing! Here we go!

To start off: I personally love talking about my favorite ships, so here are a few questions about yours!

1. What are your top three reasons for shipping Hermione/Snape?
  2. Do you think you like time-travel Hermione/Snape better than you would like them in the canonical timeline?
  3. When you think of Hermione/Snape, do you like to take his love for Lily out of the equation (i.e. it didn't happen), or work around it?
  4. If you had to choose a pairing other than Hermione/Snape, what would be your favorite?

Other questions:

1. Your graphics are so lovely! Have you been making graphics or writing fanfiction longer? What is your method for each? (e.g. putting on music, having a particular snack or drink, certain creating environments, etc.)
  2. Where do you find inspiration for stories?
  3. If you had to choose a pet to take to Hogwarts, what would it be? And what would you name it?

All right! I think that's it for now! Thanks for answering when you get around to it!

Best,
Emily

• Like 1

beyond the rain

Hi Emily! Thank you for the lovely questions - I'm really excited to answer them! 

1. What are your top three reasons for shipping severus/hermione? 

one: I always think Hermione would be with someone that her friends wouldn't understand. I hate fics that ron/harry/ginny/neville bash, because I think all her friends would be supportive of her relationship with Snape, but they wouldn't warm to him at all. They'd be formal, make light conversation - and would never be on a first name basis. And I think that's really fun to explore, like there's not many characters where that would happen and still make sense. 

two: I think what makes a good ship is problems beforehand. My favourites are the ones that have a lot of what if moments, or cute almost moments - but there's things stopping them. First off there's the age gap, there's her friends not liking him, there's the fact that Hermione is an intelligent muggle born just like Lily, but Lily was this great beauty and Hermione's evidently had some confidence issues with her looks over the years. I like the evolution of people going from just 'knowing' of each other and having a basic relationship, to evolving and becoming close in their own way...and then being together. I've never liked the straight forward! 

three: most importantly, they're just so well matched! The both of them are really skilled and intelligent, neither of them are very good at making impressions or making themselves 'liked'. Hermione would balance Severus out in that he can be so cut throat and bitter, whereas she's a lot more kind hearted and would soften him up ever so slightly. Severus would also help Hermione with her emotions and dealing with the prospect that you can't be good at everything. Let's not forget that Severus isn't a terrible person either, he's so thoughtful and cares more deeply than any character I've ever encountered.  

2. Do you think you like time-travel Hermione/Snape better than you would like them in the canonical timeline?

Oh I like them both for different reasons! Time travel snamione is always fun because Hermione always starts off being so methodical and clever about how she does things in the past...but once she falls for severus she has to balance out what her head says and her heart. It also gives Severus an easier time in school and youth, I understand why JK gave Snape such a hard time in school, but people seem to forget that James and Sirius were bullies - and I think having Hermione around makes things a little bit easier.  

The canonical timeline is always fun - especially if they work together at Hogwarts, the ministry or in an apothecary (i've written two out of the three of those situations because they're the most fun!) 

3. When you think of Hermione/Snape, do you like to take his love for Lily out of the equation (i.e. it didn't happen), or work around it?

I always consider Lily, I think she's a really important part of it. I don't like it when people disregard her or her love for him. Again it's an obstacle, and I love seeing people try to overcome that rather than ignore their relationship. As well, Severus' love for her is such a big part of the HP plot too...to ignore that would be like ignoring Dumbledore's love for muggle sweets! 

4. If you had to choose a pairing besides Hermione/Snape, what would it be? 
The ones I'm interested in are those that involve Minerva. I'm currently at a place where I don't need to read her in a romantic sense to enjoy a Minerva fic. But, I used to be obsessed with Tom/Minerva...now that's died down a lot, I'm more interested in Minerva/OC. If there's one thing I hate, it's what JK did to Minerva. Her back story involving the farmer and then Elphinstone Urquart...nah. I don't like it or agree with it one bit. She could've taken Minerva's life anywhere...and the route she went down was just so heartbreaking. I like AUs that look at Minerva as a young woman who might fall in love, or a seventh year battling her conscience and her one track logical mind against a crush she has on a fellow student. I think she'd either go for someone as charming and mysterious as Tom Riddle, or someone who's surface annoys her no end. I have a big love for gryffindor/slytherin relationships in general though! 

OTHER QUESTIONS

1. Your graphics are so lovely! Have you been making graphics or writing fanfiction longer? What is your method for each? (e.g. putting on music, having a particular snack or drink, certain creating environments, etc.) Thank you! I've actually been writing fanfiction longer by about 10 months...I joined HPFF 1st Jan 2010, I joined TDA may 2010 but made graphics as of november that year (don't ask me how i remember all those dates!) For graphics I generally need music on, I work best with Fleetwood Mac, Patti Labelle, Aretha Franklin, Paramore, a lot of 70s based music, or whatever I'm feeling at the time! Right now it's a mix of Nina Simone and the Guardians of the Galaxy vol.2 soundtrack! With writing, it generally has to be a specific kind of classical or soundtrack. No words. When I wrote my angsty Harry and Minerva (no romance i promise!) fic, I had to listen to Dumbledore's Farewell on loop for a solid five/six hours to write the last chapter. But then when I wrote the epilogue, I switched between the Peter and the Wolf soundtrack and Clair De Lune. Music is always necessary for both, and when I write I usually need a coffee or ten! 

2. Where do you find inspiration for stories? Honestly, I'm not sure. It can be a show, some music, something that happens in history and my brain just makes itself known - or a scene just occurs. Usually I see a scene before a plot. Like right now I'm writing Snamione set in the suffragette period, and I just had an image of Hermione at a march or seeing her 'friend' Emily Davison die at the races and I worked from there. They're always accidental. Someone just says something and the cogs go round! 

3. If you had to choose a pet to take to Hogwarts, what would it be? And what would you name it? One of my RP characters actually takes a pug to hogwarts, so following that train of thought I'd take a scottie or westie dog, and call him Bacon haha! 

Loved answering these, thank you!

Recent Badges

beyond the rain

[i have no idea if double posting is okay but i guess we'll find out soon enough] 

i have a few vague ideas I'd really like to write, but I've never really gotten around to doing.
I'm not sure if they'll ever happen, BUT it keeps my writer's journal alive! 

• a Molly ii centric novella. Originally inspired by this++ (by me) but I've made a few changes. Originally Molly (ii) was going to be a rebellious student failing her classes, and was going to be sent to Nana Weasley for the summer before her seventh year to see if the matriarch of the Weasley clan could set her granddaughter back on the straight and narrow. Now with a banner/face claim change here++ (also by me) , the idea is now that Molly ii was never very close to her grandmother, but more so Arthur. Arthur passed away a year before the fic is set, and everyone notices subtle changes in Molly. She was never very loud or outgoing but now she's even less so. Her grades are slipping and she's somewhat more isolated than before, and is distancing herself from both her family and friends. Molly (i) Weasley now lives alone in the Burrow and while she puts on a good front, you can tell she's still grieving for her husband. To kill two birds with one stone, Percy sends his daughter to go and stay with her namesake for the summer before her seventh year, telling his mother he needs her to help with his daughter, and vice versa (so they think that they're helping the other, when really they both need each other). There'd be lots of teen angst, awkward behaviour, grieving and learning more about each other (such as how Molly's more than just a housewife, and Molly ii has a passion for sewing and dreams of opening her own tailors to rival madam malkin's someday) 
  • Very short one shot, based on Moaning Myrtle and Minerva McGonagall. Just in case people need a reminder of how wonderful a teacher McGonagall is, this fic should hopefully do the trick (if I ever write it) 
  • snamione au set in the suffragette period. There are wizard laws against helping the female equality movement, but Hermione wants to see Emmeline Pankhurst up close. 

I've had the molly x2 idea for roughly 2 years now but i don't really do novels so I doubt it's something I'll ever commit to, the snamione AU i've had in mind for 6 months, I wrote a draft...but then I lost it, and since then I've reworked the idea - and I've had the moaning myrtle plot since Christmas - and out of the three that's probably the only one i'll ever write, haha! 

• Like 1

Recent Badges

abhorsen.

(x posting is totally fine!)

1. I love the idea of a Minerva and Myrtle one-shot! If you write it, send me the link, because it sounds really, really interesting. The way teachers would react to Myrtle isn't something I've ever really thought about before. You don't have to spoil the Minerva fic if you don't want to :P, but how do you imagine other teachers treating Myrtle?

2. How would you compare RPing to writing? I've never really gotten into RPing, so I'm really curious about how it's similar (and different!) from writing fanfiction. ^_^

3. When you read fanfiction, do you prefer reading about a younger McGonagall, or an older McGonagall? What are your favorite headcanons about her?

4. Do you like any other pairings involving Hermione or Snape, or are you just Snamione all the way? :P

5. You mentioned liking Gryffindor/Slytherin pairings in general. Do you have any specific ones that you like other than Snamione and Tom/Minerva? What do you think draws you to that combination in general?
  • Like 1

beyond the rain
1 hour ago, abhorsen. said:

I love the idea of a Minerva and Myrtle one-shot! If you write it, send me the link, because it sounds really, really interesting. The way teachers would react to Myrtle isn't something I've ever really thought about before. You don't have to spoil the Minerva fic if you don't want to :P, but how do you imagine other teachers treating Myrtle?

I'm currently 300 words in, but I'm thinking of scrapping what I have so far- my back story isn't working...but it's still in the works! I never really thought about how the professors would interact with Myrtle, until this idea came into my head. I think many of them wouldn't think much of her. I don't see any of them going out of their way to speak to her, but Minerva's a special case ^_^ tbf...she doesn't either. But Minerva's a good teacher, she doesn't have favourites...and seeing as Myrtle died as a student, Minerva treats her as such. 

1 hour ago, abhorsen. said:

How would you compare RPing to writing? I've never really gotten into RPing, so I'm really curious about how it's similar (and different!) from writing fanfiction. ^_^

It's similar in that you write the same style of writing, you can write in first or third - and for the most part there's description, emotion and dialogue. The only difference is that as a writer you know everything that's happening with all your characters...you have a little less control with rp. You're in someone else's world, and you may know that in three or four threads time your ship is gonna get it on...but your characters don't. Writing a slow burn can be painful, sometimes you wanna get to the fun relationship parts and skip the hate to love thing. Oh and in RP, for me, it's more important to show a character's flaws. I'm not good at writing extremely intelligent characters who have perfect grades but a tragic back story - some people do that brilliantly, I can't. My favourites to write are the weird ones, the very flawed ones...it probably helps me relate to them on some level xD

2 hours ago, abhorsen. said:

When you read fanfiction, do you prefer reading about a younger McGonagall, or an older McGonagall? What are your favorite headcanons about her?

I love all McGonagall stories....except albus x minerva - they still exist funnily enough O.o - my favourite headcanons are mainly those that ignore her backstory that was provided by J K Rowling. That injustice is what made me fall in love with her character. There's one floating around rn that Minerva actually has a wife of thirty years that no one knew about (except pomona and filius), and that she does animagus research/works from home, and that no one finds out about her until after the war. I usually read fics that ship her with men (except that one time in searching for snamione i stumbled across hermione x minerva, and snape was their snarky, ill fitted cheerleader - it was terrifying) , but that's my favourite right now. I also firmly believe that over the years Minerva fought with Dumbledore for the right to bring Harry up in his pre-hogwarts years because she'd return to Privet Drive in the holidays to check on him and be horrified with what she saw. 

Do you like any other pairings involving Hermione or Snape, or are you just Snamione all the way?

Snamione all the way! Honestly, I can't read any other ship that involves them being with someone else...no matter how well it's written! 

• You mentioned liking Gryffindor/Slytherin pairings in general. Do you have any specific ones that you like other than Snamione and Tom/Minerva? What do you think draws you to that combination in general?

I sometimes read Harry x Draco, or Ginny x Draco, or Pansy x Harry....and more recently i wrote a bellatrix x gideon of sorts (no romance, just an affair). I think what I like about the dynamic is that firstly they challenge the idea that the two can't get on, and secondly there's a lot of passion there. I like fluffy fics, but they sometimes lack the fire that's needed in a good read! Gryffindor x Slytherin are both so stubborn, and fiery in their own way, they rarely admit their feelings and when they do it's so dramatic and like emotions are the worst thing in the world. I watch too many soap operas....that is probably why I like them so much!! 

Thanks so much branwen!!! 

Recent Badges

victoria_anne

Hey Bex! We've never officially spoken before but I've always been a huge fan of your graphics and I realised I reviewed one or two of your fics a long time ago. I should update that...

I'm a huge fan of Tom Riddle, too! And it's funny you should like the characters around his rise to power as well as Gryffindor/Slytherin relationships, because I've written fics with both those things :P

1. Dude, the Molly II fic sounds awesome! Novels are hard work, I agree, but have you considered writing one-shots with just particular scenes, or using those characters to enter challenges?

2. Would you ever write Tom Riddle yourself?

3. Are you part of any other fandoms you'd consider writing fanfiction for?

4. Is Molly your favourite next-gen character or just one that interests you the most?

5. If you could spend the day with any HP character, who would it be? (Is it Minerva? :P) 

6. Have you ever considered writing original fiction?

I don't know how inspiring this stop-by is going to make you feel, but I hope it helps! :P :wub:

just.a.willow.tree

Bex! :wub: 

1. I realize this is not a question about writing, but how are your graphics always so consistently stunning? :P
  2. Molly II is one of my favorite Next Gen characters, and Molly I is just one of my favorite characters, period, so your Molly x2 fic sounds absolutely amazing. How do you envision the Mollys' relationship with the rest of the Weasley clan?
  3. How would you characterize Percy in your Molly fic (or in general)? He's such an interesting character to read about!
  4. What would you want people to take away most from your Molly x2 fic? You have so many wonderful ideas for this story, I'm so excited. <3
  5. Aside from Snamione, which ships are your favorites and why?

beyond the rain
Posted (edited)

i finally have a little time to answer these!! 

@victoria_anne - thank you so much, i'm so flattered when people recognise my graphics...let alone like them! I've always enjoyed reading your fics - so it seems kinda silly that we've never talked haha! 

1. Dude, the Molly II fic sounds awesome! Novels are hard work, I agree, but have you considered writing one-shots with just particular scenes, or using those characters to enter challenges? I have considered it....but for this fic it doesn't seem right, if that makes sense? I plan on writing some snamione through time AUs which will be one shot/short story collection. I feel like in order to do the idea justice, it would probably need to be novel length....so give my five years and maybe i'll have the time and the talent! 

2. Would you ever write Tom Riddle yourself? I'm not sure....it'd depend on the plot, and if I was confident enough. He's a pretty big character!  

3. Are you part of any other fandoms you'd consider writing fanfiction for? Doctor Who probably, it's my other original love. I lowkey ship nine/donna, and ten x rose has always been a great love of mine. There's so many characters in there that I'd love to explore....it's the same with the HP verse!

4. Is Molly your favourite next-gen character or just one that interests you the most? I've never been a real fan of next--gen, but I like the minor next gen characters like Molly ii and Roxanne, and Louis etc etc. I feel like they deserve more love. That and Molly is Percy's daughter - I often wonder what kind of upbringing she'd have and who she'd be like etc etc. 

5. If you could spend the day with any HP character, who would it be? (Is it Minerva? :P)  I'd love to spend the day with Minerva....buuut there's a few of the guys I'd probably like to spend time with :hearteyes: I'm a little bit in love with Remus Lupin right now - I'm shamelessly reading remus x reader fics on tumblr and looking at all the pretty edits. He's just so sweet <3 <3 <3

6. Have you ever considered writing original fiction? I'm actually writing a script right now for my final year at uni! I'm considering turning it into original fiction....but we'll see how the script goes first :P 

thank you so much for these!!! 

@just.a.willow.tree hey eva!!! 

1. I realize this is not a question about writing, but how are your graphics always so consistently stunning? :P oh stop xD , honestly I still make a lot of crap....I just don't show people them. As well, I'm a massive perfectionist with graphics. If it doesn't look right then it won't be uploaded or it will be scrapped entirely. I've had seven/eight years worth of practise, so I know when to be ruthless with myself. 

2. Molly II is one of my favorite Next Gen characters, and Molly I is just one of my favourite characters, period, so your Molly x2 fic sounds absolutely amazing. How do you envision the Mollys' relationship with the rest of the Weasley clan? this is so difficult, because there's so many Weasleys! I think that Molly ii wouldn't be too close with her cousins, perhaps they'd be friendly....but not super close like Albus and Rose. Molly would love all her children and grandchildren, and when they weren't so close - she'd probably encourage Molly ii to mingle with her cousins more....but as she's gotten older and as Molly the younger has gotten closer with her grandmother, grandma molly has come to realise that molly ii doesn't need to be extremely close to all her cousins. It simply isn't possible! How would you characterize Percy in your

3. Molly fic (or in general)? He's such an interesting character to read about! I think a more grown up, mature version of how he was in the books. I'm surprised Percy didn't make it as a slytherin tbh - and I think JK views the sorting hat as some sort of seer. In my opinion that isn't the case. Percy was ambitious, intelligent and cunning. You can be all these traits and be a nice person, so I think slytherin should've been for him. Though perhaps he plays by the rules a bit too much....but then surely he'd be a ravenclaw? Anyway, I digress. Just a mature version of that, who loves his children but isn't very close with either of them. 

4. What would you want people to take away most from your Molly x2 fic? You have so many wonderful ideas for this story, I'm so excited. <3 there's so many things I would like people to take away from this fic. Molly could end up being very similar to me, because when I was younger I was really distant from my grandmother - like we've openly said when I was young we didn't like each other all that much....but after my granddad passed away, I took it upon myself to look after her and make sure she wasn't alone, and now we're like best friends. I'd want to put a little bit of my story into their story, but not too much. I want to stress the importance that school isn't the be and end all of things. When I was a kid I was so stressed about grades, and even years after leaving school and watching friends of mine go through it - I want to show people that there's life after education. That other things count, and you don't need to be perfect. I want to show Molly struggling with her grades, and struggling with some subjects. But creating her own designs, sewing them, and using transfiguration to alter them...she's a genius. I want Molly i to show her that she's talented and has a passion and should use it to her advantage. 

5. Aside from Snamione, which ships are your favorites and why? Well my favourite HP ships are of course snamione, Minerva x anyone (and remus x bex but we won't talk about that afgsasdsda) . Outside of HP I love ten x rose, because the way the DW writers ended things broke my heart. I also love nine x donna - because I feel like they suit each other so well. They're outspoken, stubborn, sarcastic, and have such a quick clever sense of humour. If nine had met Donna first, I think there would've been some sort of romance. Not the feelsy kind, but one that we'd accept and ship nonetheless. I also love Elizabeth bennet x Fitwilliam Darcy .....I'm just a sucker for a tall dark handsome brooding man who wants to protect the lady he loves by doing anything he can...and walking around in that shirt! 

thank you for the questions both of you! 

• Like 1

Recent Badges

beyond the rain

back with more ideas/updates: 

1. I've dived in head first by writing my first multi-chaptered fic in five years, and my plot is constantly changing. It's remus x oc - but now it's dealing with lots of sub topics like pacifism in wartime, and learning disabilities in the wizarding world (again blame Maggie/levana) . I know how I want the story to end, but everytime I think I have the plot down....something big changes. So maybe I shouldn't have been so quick to upload the first chapter! 

2. I'm going to rewrite an old fic of mine. When I say rewrite, I'm going to change up the plot, and focus on a particular part of it. It was my take on a well known trope of 'adopted by muggles but my real parents are canon characters' (one that I lowkey love tbh) . It's a lot angstier, and kind of like, life sucks - get over it. I'm going to condense it into a one shot, and try to convey everything I said in about fifty chapters, into a few thousand words! I don't really remember much about my OC, Phoebe (even her last name is troubling, I think it was Blackett? Literally gives everything away - I was so inventive when i was fourteen...jeez.) But I'm going to have a lot of fun learning about her, and maybe even changing who she was. I'm hoping that it'll show how much I've grown as a writer, and that I'm now older....and grumpier! :P

3. I just really need to talk about the first headcanon I ever had. It's AU as hell, and not HP verse, but after talking with @Levana - it's going in here...and you can all cringe at how much thought and effort I've put into this. Okay so as a kid I obsessed over the musical, Annie. And it just didn't make sense to me that Annie and Miss Hannigan weren't related. At first it was just because they both had red curly hair (we're talking the 1982 movie btw, if anyone knows what I'm referencing.) . Then I got a little older, and noticed they both had a temper, both were yearning for something better in life - and both had an addiction of sorts (Annie would always run away and leave the orphanage....Miss Hannigan drank. a lot.) . Thennn I watched it for the first time in years when I discovered that it was on Netflix, and now I'm absolutely certain that Miss Hannigan is Annie's mother. Having a kid out of wedlock in that era is frowned upon, so she winds up working in an orphanage, and Annie goes with her. Miss Hannigan isn't a loving mother by any means, and treats all the girls like crap, but in some twisted way (that gets shown by the end of the film) she does care for Annie, and does the right thing. I think the alcoholism was something that could've came along before or after Annie's arrival - but I also think it helps her cope with the shame of it all. Her father isn't in the picture at all, and didn't want to settle down...and left Miss Hannigan, who couldn't brave an illegal abortion...she'd heard too many horror stories. So yes, I think the story of Annie's parents was fabricated by Miss Hannigan, including the locket. Like it's just some cheap jewellery that she threw in the box at the time. It also makes the whole 'kidnapping annie' the perfect crime....scamming Warbucks into giving her back her own child. Yes. I know. I've thought wayyyy too much about this. Annie's like one of my favourite musicals - and I've believed Miss Hannigan was Annie's mother since I was like eight. Don't judge me :P

• Like 1

Recent Badges

beyond the rain

That's All Update: 

chapter two- in progress 

It will be set in the village that Clara grew up in, Sparrow Bridge, a fictional place in the North of England (I stick to where I know, haha!) It's of a very small population, and very rural. Clara's parents run the local pub, and she lives in a townhouse not far from the area. The house itself looks like this: link one, link two, link three  (no rating needed), she rents out the house itself, and someone else rents the cellar as a flat/studio of sorts. 

In fact where she lives is heavily influenced by where this show++ (12+)was filmed, but it's a village rather than a town. Around the corner from where she lives is a café, and a little further down the road, in the square is a village hall/library of sorts. Her family's pub and the off licence are a little further away. 

Clara works as a nurse in the nearest hospital, which is ten miles away from Sparrow Bridge. 

I think that's all the information I have for now! 

Recent Badges

beyond the rain
Posted (edited)

The Creation of Clara:

So I went into Clara's creation on twitter a little bit, but there aren't enough characters in a tweet for me to write all about her on there. 

Appearance:

Clara looks like a cross between Keira Knightley in Atonement and Anne Hathaway in One Day & Love and Other Drugs 
(see links: 1 2 3 4 5 ) I can never decide on her hair length, but her hair is pretty dark brown, and curly. Not perfect in-movie Hermione curls, ones that sometimes fall flat, or ones that are frizzy and unable to tame. She wears dungarees, oversized jumpers, and oversized jackets, and it's mostly charity shop clothing because she likes the idea that her money's going to a good cause....and because it's cheap, duh. 

Personality: 

Clara's not really her own person - per say. She's a combination of characters that I have seen, loved and sometimes hated. There's also a little bit of me, but I think that happens with all our OCs. 

Emma Morley: So Emma's a character from the book turned film, One Day. Emma and Clara are similar in that they're both intelligent, they're both northern - and they're both trying to make it on their own. They both look similar, and sometimes they find it difficult to say what they really mean - it takes pushing their buttons to get them to burst.

Elizabeth Bennet: One thing I've always admired about Liz Bennet is that she's one of literature's greatest characters, and she's clearly flawed. I think that's what makes her so great. I love that Elizabeth is quite an honest and critical person, just like Clara. While Clara finds things like feelings difficult to explain, she has no problem pointing out what's wrong with a situation or pointing out a person's flaws. Without realising I think I've taken that, and Elizabeth's passionate nature about put that into Clara. 

Piper Halliwell:  I'm not sure where this came from, but as I was watching charmed the other day - I realised that Piper and Clara are really similar. They both excel in potions, they're both a bit controlling, and most importantly they're protective & caring. I can see Clara caring for siblings like Piper does, if she had any. 

Severus Snape: This doesn't come from any construction of sorts, but it's just natural. Severus and Clara were very close friends in school, so naturally as the two have grown up alongside each other, they've picked up each other's traits and mannerisms. Clara can be blunt and off standish with certain acquaintances (Severus is like that with most people.)

Me: juuuuuust the tiniest bit. This happens when I act, so I kind of expected it to happen in my writing. Clara is northern, like me, has curly hair...like me, and she's the first character I've written that's insecure in their appearance. I'm trying not to put my own experiences in this fic, because I feel like then it'd be a remus/me fic, which isn't what this is. I'm just using my experiences in a sense of how they made me feel, and thinking about them when I write. 

Recent Badges

Sign in to follow this