News Ticker

MAGIC - Rules/Schedule/Overview

Alopex

7 minutes ago, Dojh167 said:

Can other houses still get a MAGIC on the S now that Slytherin has?

No -- once a letter has been called and verified, it's gone. Anyone can still claim the other letters though! :D

12 hours ago, Alexis Black said:

Can we call Specials on the same card or does each Special have to be on a separate card?

Staff had to discuss this a bit. When we set up the rules we didn't expect one house to kill it so entirely. :ninja:

What seemed the most fair, and what will be appended to the rules for future rounds, is that a house can get 1 special and 1 blackout per card. 

Is there a minimum length requirement for the social media tasks?  (E.g. does a head canon text/twitter conversation have to be 1000 characters?)

Do things that we were already going to leave (e.g. reviews in a swap/review thread) still count or can they only be for Magic? 

Edited by ShazaLupin

23 minutes ago, nott theodore said:

Is there a minimum length requirement for the social media tasks?  (E.g. does a head canon text/twitter conversation have to be 1000 characters?)

Any Twitter task does not require 1000k characters but all others do. 

12 minutes ago, ShazaLupin said:

Do things that we were already going to leave (e.g. reviews in a swap/review thread) still count or can they only be for Magic? 

That's okay! :)

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, MegGonagall said:

Are we considering Next-Gen characters Minor Characters? 

I would consider a minor character to be a character mentioned in the books themselves who did not play a major role/was a peripheral character. By that logic, I would consider the next gen characters mentioned in the epilogue to be minor characters, even though from a fanfiction perspective, they aren't particularly minor (since lots of people write about them).

In other words, yes, the ones mentioned in the epilogue count.

• Thanks 1

I hate to be that person but can we re-evaluate the typing test quiz on Sporcle?  I ask because it requires one have a typing speed of about 83 words per minute.  I know that 40 wpm is considered above average.  Meaning the quiz requires more than double that.  Honestly, the quiz does not test one's love or knowledge of HP but challenges a person's physical capabilities which are limited.  I know typing skills improve over time but eventually, a person reaches a point where practice will not improve the skill further because they have peaked at their physical limitations.  

Thanks for taking this into consideration!

This is for call I46

Edited by scooterbug8515
added call number

Sorry for the double post but I had a second question, for the ode to a house, seeing as that is a poem does it fall under the 1000 character rule?

58 minutes ago, scooterbug8515 said:

I hate to be that person but can we re-evaluate the typing test quiz on Sporcle?  I ask because it requires one have a typing speed of about 83 words per minute.  I know that 40 wpm is considered above average.  Meaning the quiz requires more than double that.  Honestly, the quiz does not test one's love or knowledge of HP but challenges a person's physical capabilities which are limited.  I know typing skills improve over time but eventually, a person reaches a point where practice will not improve the skill further because they have peaked at their physical limitations.  

Thanks for taking this into consideration!

This is for call I46

We just finished discussing this and trying it ourselves and have decided that a score of 80% will be accepted for the task.

9 minutes ago, scooterbug8515 said:

Sorry for the double post but I had a second question, for the ode to a house, seeing as that is a poem does it fall under the 1000 character rule?

An ode is a fairly lengthy format of poetry, so yes, it should be 1000 characters.

Guest Rumpelstiltskin

So, I was wondering:

I56 - Solve the following Hangman: _ _ i _ _ _ e _ _

Are we meant to be playing a game of Hangman in our common rooms with staff, or are we meant to be simply guessing the answer (just curious) 
^_^ .

Edit: Also can we have a staff member come to the CR for a private question, please?

Edited by Rumpelstiltskin

I think it makes sense that we play hangman for this one instead of having houses guess. Other houses, if you're working this, please feel free to tag or message a staffer for I56 hangman. 

4 minutes ago, scooterbug8515 said:

With the story about the squib, it can be a non canon character correct?

That's correct. 

Hi! If we've received a duplicate task from Round 1, should we still complete it again, or can our work from the previous round still count? I can specify the duplicate task if you'd like.

1 minute ago, forever_dreaming said:

Hi! If we've received a duplicate task from Round 1, should we still complete it again, or can our work from the previous round still count? I can specify the duplicate task if you'd like.

You'll need to compete it eggs for this round. If it's a task that you can't redo yourself, like reviewing a specific chapter again, have another housemate do the task. If it's a quiz or similar, take it again and show your results again. 

• Like 1

A29 - Write a story dedicated to another HPFT member.

For this, would it count to add a new chapter to a story already dedicated to another member?

4 minutes ago, Dojh167 said:

For this, would it count to add a new chapter to a story already dedicated to another member?

That counts! 

Guest Rumpelstiltskin

G34 - Respond to Five unanswered reviews.

Does this have to be done specifically for the HPFT archive if we don't have any reviews to respond to (can this be done on another archive)?

27 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin said:

Does this have to be done specifically for the HPFT archive if we don't have any reviews to respond to (can this be done on another archive)?

We've been moving towards keeping activity on our site so the review responses will need to be here as well. 

Guest Rumpelstiltskin

G37 - Write a post sorting a non-Harry Potter character into a Hogwarts House.

:couch: Sorry to bother again, but where are we to be posting this? I've been looking around for a fitting thread, but can't seem to find one.

4 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin said:

:couch: Sorry to bother again, but where are we to be posting this? I've been looking around for a fitting thread, but can't seem to find one.

I think it'd make sense to either create a general thread for this here http://hpfanfictalk.com/forum/27-other-fandoms

Or post your sorting in a thread for a fandom you like.