HPFanficTalk
Renacerá

Studio Ghibli Films

So, Studio Ghibli's gorgeous movies (and Hayao Miyazaki's in particular) absolutely deserve their own thread! These films range from whimsical to heartbreaking and everything in between, but they all share amazing art and musical scores, as well as fabulous stories. I've personally seen almost every film the studio has made. My favorites are Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle. I also love My Neighbor Totoro and The Secret World of Arrietty. Grave of the Fireflies was incredible, and I will probably never watch it again because it ripped my heart out and stomped on it.

Below is the list of current Ghibli films! Discuss below, and remember your spoiler tags!

• Castle in the Sky
  • Grave of the Fireflies
  • My Neighbor Totoro
  • Kiki's Delivery Service
  • Only Yesterday
  • Porco Rosso
  • Pom Poko
  • Whisper of the Heart
  • Princess Mononoke
  • My Neighbors the Yamadas
  • Spirited Away
  • The Cat Returns
  • Howl's Moving Castle
  • Tales from Earthsea
  • Ponyo
  • The Secret World of Arrietty
  • From Up on Poppy Hill
  • The Wind Rises
  • The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
  • When Marnie Was There

OMG yes. I love Studio Ghibli :wub:

There are several movies I love, but the first one that comes to mind is Spirited Away, because - and I suspect this may be the case for others too - it was the first Studio Ghibli movie I watched. I was maybe 8-9 years old at the time, and I fell in love with the movie right away (and not gonna lie, the movie did scare me a little bit too). It was actually the movie that made me love anime, and because of that it has a special place in my heart. I watched it the other day with my little sister - it was her first time watching it and she loved it :D 

But while I love Spirited Away, I don't think it's the best Studio Ghibli movie. I think the older movies like Princess Mononoke and Whispers of the Heart are better - in fact both of them are high up on my list of favorites. I actually have a Totoro teddy bear so obviously I love My Neighbor Totoro too. But my absolute favourite is definitely Howl's Moving Castle. I've watched that movie so many times I know pretty much every word in it (like in the English subs, not in Japanese :P), the few Japanese words I know are actually all from that movie. It's my go-to movie when I'm feeling down, and I just love it so much :wub:. So yeah, that's definitely my favourite, but I like all of the Studio Ghibli movies :) 

2 hours ago, LadyL8 said:

But my absolute favourite is definitely Howl's Moving Castle. I've watched that movie so many times I know pretty much every word in it (like in the English subs, not in Japanese :P), the few Japanese words I know are actually all from that movie. It's my go-to movie when I'm feeling down, and I just love it so much :wub:. So yeah, that's definitely my favourite, but I like all of the Studio Ghibli movies :) 

I like Spirited Away too! But I agree that it isn't the "best" Ghibli film. But it's a fantastic introduction to the studio and I always encourage people to see other movies if they've seen that one.

But to your Howl's point: oh my gosh, yes! I love it so much! Have you read the book that the movie is based on? It's be Diana Wynne Jones, and it's really good! I just read it a couple of weeks ago for the first time. It's quite different from the movie, but I actually like both as separate entities. They're both really amazing in their own ways. I love Howl and Sophie as characters. Definitely my favorite Ghibli movie. :D

Just popping in because YAS, STUDIO GHIBLI! <3 Kiki's delivery service is my panic attack movie. On days when I'm super stressed and just really need to calm down I put it on in the background to soothe me. Howl's Moving Castle is definitely the best though. 

On 19.9.2017 at 3:58 PM, Renacerá said:

But to your Howl's point: oh my gosh, yes! I love it so much! Have you read the book that the movie is based on? It's be Diana Wynne Jones, and it's really good! I just read it a couple of weeks ago for the first time. It's quite different from the movie, but I actually like both as separate entities. They're both really amazing in their own ways. I love Howl and Sophie as characters. Definitely my favorite Ghibli movie. :D

I really thought I had answered this, but I guess I must've forgotten. I haven't read the book, but I decided to go ahead and buy it after I saw your post. I actually got it a few days ago so I'm hoping to start reading it tonight :D 

Edited by LadyL8

4 hours ago, LadyL8 said:

I really thought I had answered this, but I guess I must've forgotten. I haven't read the book, but I decided to go ahead and buy it after I saw your post. I actually got it a few days ago so I'm hoping to start reading it tonight :D 

That’s great! You’ll have to let me know how you like it! It’s pretty distinct from the movie, but I still liked it a lot!

Ooo yes! Definitely movies I'd never hesitate to recommend. I've seen all aside from Pom Poko, Grave of the Fireflies, My Neighbours the Yamadas and When Marnie Was There - though I really should watch them. And I firmly believe that there are no best. Better ones, certainly, but no best.

My personal favourite is Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind (you didn't list it btw). I love the heroine particularly, and the music and art are gorgeous like always. But it's the story that strikes me the most. In a roundabout, fantasy way, it's about the human impact on the environment and most noticeably makes me think of the current debate about global warming - despite the film being 3 or 4 decades old. It presents the themes in both a devastating and beautiful manner - it really leaves you thinking if you let it, but it's also simple enough to merely appreciate the masterpiece as the artwork it is. I know other people didn't love it as much, so it could be a part of preference.

Spoiler

NausicaGif1.gif.e1502e38055686bed53422ef4053bff7.gif NausicaGif3.gif.5334ccc071c8fa5c56d7b43ce10541c0.gif  NausicaGif5.gif.3d0621587a579a765b2e1f7314a99d2e.gif

Second and third are more famous. One is Howl's Moving Castle, I read the book after I realised what the movie was based off, but halfway through stopped because the characterization is simply so different. Not in a bad way necessarily, but after being familiar with one for so much time, it was a bit like visiting an alien planet. The other is Spirited Away. Despite the imagination and the fascinatingly noticeable way it's inspired by culture, the resolution is a little too open and resolved at the same time.

Ponyo was my favourite once when it came out in 2010, but being young as I was, I watched it 6 times in half as many months. I loved it that much, but after memorization, it became somewhat old. I think it was my first Ghibli film, but can't be too sure. Laputa (Castle in the Sky), Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service are on the list too, but there's so many, they're probably somewhere between my 5 - 10th favourite movies of all time.

I was devastated when I heard the studio had closed down. But all things have their time, coming and going.

Edited by MeIsMoonie
  • Like 1

On 31.10.2017 at 6:14 PM, Renacerá said:

That’s great! You’ll have to let me know how you like it! It’s pretty distinct from the movie, but I still liked it a lot!

I just finished reading it. You're right, it's very different from the movie, but it's a great book. I actually liked that it was so different, because it made the book surprising to me. I was worried I wouldn't like it because I rarely read a book after I've seen a movie about it. That just ruins the book for me, but here it worked because even though I knew some of the stuff that would happen, it had lots of great surprises. I couldn't imagine Sophie with red hair though. That was just not the image of her I had at all, and the book didn't manage to change that. I'll always imagine that Sophie has brown hair. I think it just fits her character a lot better.

But back to Studio Ghibli. Anyone else excited for the next Hayao Miyazaki movie? I was so happy when I heard he had decided to come out of retirement to produce another movie. It'll probably take some years before it's out, but I'm really excited about it :D 

On 10.11.2017 at 10:39 AM, MeIsMoonie said:

My personal favourite is Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind (you didn't list it btw). I love the heroine particularly, and the music and art are gorgeous like always. But it's the story that strikes me the most. In a roundabout, fantasy way, it's about the human impact on the environment and most noticeably makes me think of the current debate about global warming - despite the film being 3 or 4 decades old. It presents the themes in both a devastating and beautiful manner - it really leaves you thinking if you let it, but it's also simple enough to merely appreciate the masterpiece as the artwork it is. I know other people didn't love it as much, so it could be a part of preference.

This is actually one of the very few Studio Ghibli movies I haven't seen, but I'm definitely gonna add it to my list now. It sounds amazing!

Edited by LadyL8

Sneaking in to say that I also love Howl's Moving Castle (the novel), @LadyL8! The movie was very good too, of course. But I loved the book more. :wub:

UA-79258518-1