Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!
Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!
Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.
News Ticker
  • See the May Bulletin for archive rule/advisory changes.
  • See our badges forum for more details about our new badges system!
  • The Review Transfer Tool is now ready for use.
  • Announcements

• abhorsen.

May Bulletin   05/01/2018

May's bulletin is up, with all kinds of interesting information (including a tool to mass transfer all reviews you received on HPFF to HPFT's archive). You can check it out +here.
    • toomanycurls

Annual Member Survey   05/09/2018

Please take a moment to fill out the annual member survey before May 31st.  
abhorsen.

A trip to Ollivanders

abhorsen.

It's time for you to visit Ollivanders to get your very first wand! It's an exciting moment, and you're just itching to wave wands around until something explodes. :D

Write up what happens on your trip and post it here, or else just tell us what wand you've been chosen by! You may find the Pottermore articles on +wand woods and +wand cores helpful, or you can just take Pottermore's wand quiz!

If you're torn between a few answers for any question or questions, you can post all of your answers here (including the ones you're torn between) and we'll tell you which wands might be right for you to help you choose. :)

Veritaserum27

My trip to Ollivander's was very eventful.  Gringott's was in the process of getting a new dragon for their super secret vaults and Charlie and Bill Weasley were heading up the transfer process.  The Norwegian Ridgeback was a feisty one, and actually got loose for a few minutes, flying around Diagon Alley and swooping low to let off some steam — or rather, flames. 

A rather unfortunate Xenophilius Lovegood had some of his hair set on fire, but he insisted that it was good luck to be half singed by a Ridgeback when Venus and Mars are in alignment. 

My mum, dad and I had to duck into Fortescue's for a few moments, while all the commotion was cleared up.  After that, it was smooth sailing!  The wand that chose this witch was:

Laurel Wood

14 1/2 inces in length

Unicorn Hair Core

Pliant Flexibility

Congratulations on finding your wand!

bb2uuel.gif

Rumpelstiltskin

Poor Mr. Ollivander.  It took three broken windows and a whole lot of patience, but we finally found the wand for me!  He looked so relieved to see me go.  Unfortunately for him, the next new student was right on my heels, ready for his own wand!  Hopefully his experience will be a little easier than mine.

Rowan Wood

10 3/4 inches

Unicorn Hair Core

Surprisingly Swishy Flexibility

nLyWXP6.gif

WriteYourHeartOut

Diagon Alley is such a distracting place...

I got to Ollivander's far later than originally planned, but just couldn't help myself from stopping in first at Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, where I laid out some sweet game on one George Weasley... *swoons* Then I saw the sign for Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour and made my exit to grab a triple scoop waffle cone - one part Chocolate Frog, one part Cookies-n-Cauldron Cakes, and one part Firewhiskey. After that I saw the sign for Sugarplum's Sweets Shop, and... well, time got away from me in there while I was browsing the free samples. When I finally reached Ollivander's, I was elbow deep into a bag of Peppermint Toads. He told me no open containers of food were allowed inside, so I spent another ninety minutes on the curb finishing up. (There may have been candyfloss and jelly slugs and fudge flies and sugar mice and some other things involved, but no sense getting bogged down in the details.) But, uh, once I was finally inside, it took only two wands and one set of curtains catching on fire to find my guy! Here it is:

• Alder wood
  • 10 3/4 inch in length
  • Phoenix feather core
  • Surprisingly Swishy flexibility

Nuek0dV.gif

pookha

Mr Ollivander was quite thrilled to see me, and my Muggle parents were fascinated by the choosing process. They watched as he went through about 8 wand before deciding on:

11 inches, made of vine wood with a core of phoenix feather

He said it meant that I will seek to do great things, and will have to plumb my hidden depths to achieve what I want with the wand, and if I try to stray from the path the wand thinks is correct, then its magic and my own magic will fight me.

isdeu8G.gif

CambAngst

So many boxes... How the heck does he remember what's where? OK, maybe he doesn't remember, because the process seems totally random. He hands me wand after wand. Some shoot strangely colored sparks, some cause the windows to rattle and some don't do much at all. Just when it seems hopeless, he returns from the back of the store with a slightly tatty looking old box. The wand looks a bit scuffed, as though some of the finish had been worn away by use. As soon as I took it between my fingers, I knew. This was the one.

Wood: Ash

Core: Dragon Heart String

Length: 10 1/2 inches

Rigid

0buuvut.gif

Recent Badges

zephyra.

The excitement of finally receiving my own wand was overwhelming, but I tried to hide my emotions. I tripped right inside the door. What a great first impression, I thought. After going through several different wands and accidentally setting the store on fire a couple of times I had finally found my wand! Tears rolled down my cheeks; I was so happy.

Hazel Wood

12 ¾"

Dragon Heartstring Core

Reasonably Supple Flexibility

5qOFGPm.gif

WalkingDredd

I tried to order all of my school supplies from a magazine, but I refused to pay postage, so onwards to Diagon Alley I went!

It was very busy, and I lost my way a few times, but it wasn't long until I managed to find my way from Gringotts to Ollivanders. He didn't seem too happy to see me, probably because my older brother caused quite some mayhem in here when he was trying to get his own wand.

The chosing process was a lot quicker than I thought it would be, and I left happily with a 11inch Yew wand with a Unicorn core and made my way over to the Leaky Cauldron. I needed to stock my travel bar!

pOXmeWo.gif

lllb

I was so excited to finally get my wand that I woke up at the crack of dawn and raced through a quick breakfast (you can never forget breakfast). Unfortunately, when I arrived at Ollivander's, the sign in the window said it didn't open until 9:00 AM. But Florean Fortescue was out for an early morning stroll and took pity on me, so I whiled away the remaining time eating a big cone of strawberry and peanut butter ice cream and quizzing him on what Harry Potter was really like.

Finally, finally 9:00 AM rolled around and I hustled over to Ollivander's, elbowing a few timid 11-year-olds out of the way in the process. "I've been waiting years for this moment!" I told their snippy-looking mothers. "They can wait ten more minutes."

It didn't even take that long. The first wand that Ollivander offered me wiggled in my hand, and as soon as I gave it a good old fashioned swish-and-flick, it sprayed silver sparks all over the shop.

Cherry

141/2 inches

Unicorn hair

Quite bendy

ce88tlu.gif

Kalkay

Diagon Alley always amazes me. It's always so busy which you would never guess from inside Ollivanders. For every new witch and wizard needing a wand and this being the only wand shop, it always seems so empty.

I felt absolutely dreadful for him though as it took a good five wands before we found the right one. Apparently my height would suggest a smaller wand than he originally expected but never the one to give up, we got it sorted and I have a wonderful 13 inch Yew wand with phoenix feather core, slightly springy.

0PfRfN7.gif

Gabriella Hunter

My trip to Ollivander's shop was pretty tame in comparison to the wild morning I had earlier. My pet toad decided to hide in the toilet and gave my mom quite the scare and it took a long time for her to calm down, by the time we made it to Diagon Alley I ahd renamed my toad "Sir Porcelain of House Uranus."

Ollivander turned out to be pretty patient and understanding with my silliness, letting me try more than my fair share of wands that didn't make something explode. I was starting to lose hope when I spotted a tattered box on the lower shelf and I don't know, something about it spoke to me.

Reluctantly, Ollivander handed it over (it wasn't his best work apparently) and I knew instantly that it belonged to me. Red sparks and lots of squealing later, I proudly sauntered off with this beauty:

Applewood

11 3/4 inches

Dragonheartstring core

Durable and swishy.

:')

He6yNBF.gif

Oldershouldknowbetter

Some of our experiences in Australia - where it comes to the basic practices that we all must experience as wizards or witches - are markedly different than those of our cousins in England. Some are markedly similar though, and one of these is the selection of wands from Olivander. There has been a branch of Olivanders in Australia since 1797. Unlike some of the other witches and wizards who were exiled due to infringements with the law, Marcus Olivander didn’t arrive in the colonies as a convict. The exact reasons as to his immigration are unknown, but family lore has it that he had a massive falling out with his father. Being a third son, he was even less likely to inherit anything than the second son, and this may have been one of the many reasons for the falling out; particularly as he was an exceptional wandmaker by all accounts.

Our country has such a different selection of woods for wand making that the rules for wand suitability are markedly different than those of England. For instance, even though we have some native Ash trees, none have yet been found that have wand suitable wood. Whereas our species of Eucalypts, being plentiful and varied, can make wands of such different capabilities that the properties of the wands made from them are not determined by the Eucalypt Family as a whole, but by the type of the individual tree. Some of our hardwoods, like the Jarrah and the Ironbark, are some of the hardest woods in the world and are sought the world over for battle wands .

Luckily for us, luckily for the entire world, bowtruckles can be found on almost every continent and situated in trees suitable for wands. There was a stir caused by an Australian artist who actually depicted a common local variation of the basic bowtruckle, what she called the Banksia Men, in a series of children’s books. Apparently the author, and illustrator of her own works, possessed enough magical talent to see the creatures but not enough to be selected for the AMS (Australian Magical School) and so slipped through the cracks. The books were so wide spread through our society by the time that they came to the notice of the magical community, that it was too late to contain. It hasn’t caused much of a problem in the end, just becoming as it did a popular children’s tale and as such any Muggle child who actually sees a bowtruckle is just credited with having an overactive imagination.

My own wand is made from Wattle, the common Australian name for what other counties call Acacia trees. Of the 1350 different species of Acacias around the world, around a thousand can be found in Australia. As a result they are a lot more predominant in Australian wands and produce much less finicky wands for the Australian population than the Accacias in other countries do for their wizards and witches.

The core of my wand is a fairly standard one for Australian wands. It consists of cotton soaked in the venom of one of our many venomous animals. In my case, the venom is from the Invisible Tiapan. The creature is not invisible as such, but it can so perfectly change the colour of its scales to flawlessly mimic its environment, that it becomes effectively invisible. As to having venom as the core of our wands, it is neither as dark or evil as it sounds, but a notable author has made the connection that it just may be a function of the general irreverence and lack of respect for authority that the common Australian wizard possesses.

Wattle

32.6 centimeters

Invisible Taipan Venom

Flexible enough

Sarz

Ollivanders was the first place I wanted to go while school supply shopping, although when I go to Diagon alley I decided to slowly stroll through. I Watched all the people shopping and glanced through all the shop windows until I finally made my way to the front of the shop. It took a couple of tries, but when I found my wand, I knew it. I am so glad to say I own my own wand.

Alder Wood

10 ¾ Inches

Phoenix Feather Core

Quite Bendy flexibility

Lostmyheart

According to Pottermore, I got:

Maple wood with unicorn hair core,

12 1/4"

Slightly springy feeling

scooterbug8515

Upon arriving at Diagon Alley I found myself running from place to place.  I mean how could I not check out the joke shop, and of course get some sweets as well revel in book store.  It has all been a dream come true but of course after a time I found myself dashing toward Olivanders while everything is fun won't it be more fun with a wand?  Eager as I was for a wand I started waving away, maybe a bit sooner than Olivander would have wanted.  It took several tries.  Being short he started me with slightly smaller wands but none of them would have me.  Then on a lark Olivander picked a rather long one which made me nervous and uncertain.  It was nearly a foot long! Still I took the wand and warmth traveled up my arm and that was the end of it.

Fir wood with a phoenix feather core, 11" and unbending flexibility

dreamgazer220

My trip to Ollivander's was a bit surprising.

After a leisurely stroll down Diagon Alley, I was finally able to drag Mum and Dad into the wand shop. Dad kept stressing the importance of taking care of the wand, and Mum kept telling me to relax. The wand chose the witch, after all.

When Mr. Ollivander finally appeared from somewhere behind all of those stacks, he grinned at me with a twinkle in his eye, and we got to work.

Wand after wand I tried.  Nothing warmed my fingers, nothing chose me.  Feeling dejected, I wanted to take a break and wander into Flourish and Blotts to take my mind off of the fact that no wand seemed to want me.

"Just try one more," Dad suggested.  "It couldn't hurt."

With a defeated sigh, I opened the last box that Mr. Ollivander presented me, and suddenly, I was glad I hadn't left.  Warmth spread over my body and yellow sparks came pouring out of my wand like stars. 

I smiled to myself.  My wand had found me after all.

Cypress wood

10"

Unicorn hair core

Surprisingly swishy flexibility

FireCrest

My trip to Ollivander's went surprisingly well! I only shattered two of the front windows before I found the perfect wand for me!

Cedar

14-1/2"

Dragon Heartstring

and surprisingly swishy!

PaulaTheProkaryote

I was late, as I always am, when I arrived at Ollivander's shop. He was preparing to close the store for the evening. It happened to also be the night before I was meant to leave for Hogwarts. With ample pleading and minor bribery, Mr. Ollivander agreed to let me browse his wand selection. After one serious explosion, three shattered windows, and two eyebrows singed, a wand finally found me agreeable enough.

Acacia wood with a unicorn hair core 10" in length with hard flexibility.

“Acacia. Ah, I see it now. Wood with a peculiar temperament for a peculiar girl.” Mr. Ollivander whispered mysteriously before taking my money and shooing me out so he could close the store properly.

Recent Badges

galaxies

"Swish and flick," the old shopkeeper, Mr. Ollivander, said.  I could tell that was a phrase he said often, no doubt countless times a day over his last... possibly 150 years.  I'm not much for guessing ages but I could tell most of his years were behind him.

I did as he suggested, raising the wand to point directly ahead of me.  In one swift motion - a motion I had practiced tirelessly since my Hogwarts letter came - I simply swished and flicked the wand.  Instantly a red hot flame poured from the tip of the wand and landed just inches from my feet.  It caused the wooden floor to burn rapidly before turning into a pile of hot ashes.  I gingerly placed the wand back into its box.

"Certainly not," Mr. Ollivander whispered.  He shuffled across the room and brought out a second one.  He carefully removed it from the box and handed it over.

Instantly I knew.  The wand grew warm and when I raised it to eye level a white light shone from the end.  This was it, this was my wand.

Laurel wood

Phoenix feather core

12 ¾"

Surprisingly Swishy flexibility

MegGonagall

When I arrived to Diagon Alley, of course I had to get my wand first! It was the thing I was most excited about. I feel like Mr. Ollivander had an easy go of it with me. I only tried three wands before finding the one that fit me perfectly. Although, I do feel quite badly about smashing out all of his windows with that second wand...

Wood: English Oak

Core: Dragon Heartstring

Length: 9 3/4"

Flexibility: Slightly Springy

esmeraude

Of course, the first place to go in Diagon Alley would be Ollivander's. I stumbled, blearily-eyed, having been dragged out of bed at an ungodly hour to get to London in the first place, but was woken up by the customer in front shattering all of his windows with the second wand she tried.

Uncertainly, I dithered at the entrance. I'd thought all these stories about unsuitable wands wreaking havoc were greatly exaggerated, but clearly this wasn't the case. Once it was my turn, Mr Ollivander looked at me nervously as he handed a wand over, and I picked it up and swished it, feeling equally anxious.

Stock started to fly off the shelves. Oops.

My poor Muggle parents were quite terrified by what they deemed "an avalanche of boxes", so while Mr Ollivander rushed to reassure them that actually, this was perfectly normal (oh dear) I started to pick up some boxes and put them back on his desk. Suddenly, I felt a compulsion to open one of the boxes that I had just picked up, a particular box that was quite dusty and had clearly been kept on the top shelf. I picked up the wand that was inside and tentatively flicked it, and sparks appeared. Nothing seemed to have been destroyed.

"Mr Ollivander," I said, "I think I've found my wand."

He came over, watched as I swished the wand around, and deemed me chosen with a grin. I paid for my new wand, and apologised for the mess that I had caused.

"No, no," said Ollivander, as he gave me my change, "these boxes can be tidied away with a single spell. Inkpots exploding all over my parchmentwork, now that..."

I left the store feeling quite grateful that I had been nowhere near the inkpots, and very, very happy with my new wand. :D

Dogwood wood

Phoenix feather core

10" in length

Slightly Springy flexibility

hecate

When I arrived at Diagon Alley, I  had to go to Flourish and Blotts, the books calling to my inner Claw, but once I had a big haul of books that would keep me occupied for the month, I headed straight to Ollivanders, excited to receive my first wand! I wasn't much trouble to Mr Ollivander and I only managed to shatter one vase and knock a pile of books over before we found my perfect wand. I left extremely happy and excited to get to Hogwarts and only felt a little guilty about the smashed vase.

Pine wood

Dragon Heartstring

12 ¾

Hard Flexibilty

Pixileanin

I saw all the other kids go into the wand shop and felt jealous.  I'd got pick-pocketed when I accidentally took a wrong turn and skimmed the darker side of Knockturn Alley.

"Hey!" I yelled, as the thief, a short, stodgy fellow ran off into a seedy-looking shop.  "Those are my coins!"

But of course he didn't reply.  Even the weather was against me.  Rain pelted down and got everything I owned (which wasn't much) soaked.

I was hungry, so I veered around the corner of the wand shop to the back.  There was a tight alleyway between the shops and I crammed myself back there really far so no one could see me.

I was really embarrassed.  I sank down onto the cobblestones and started to feel sorry for myself.

Then something sharp poked me in my rear end.  I shuffled a bit and realized I'd been sitting on a pile of splintered wood.

All of a sudden, a window opened up to my right, and a small stick came flying out, landing next to me.  It hit the ground and splintered.

"Hmm," I muttered.  "That's gotta mean something."

A few minutes later, the window opened again.  This time, I was ready.  I stood up and caught the thing before it could hit the ground.

I'm not sure what I got.  It's a piece of light-colored dried out wood that definitely needs oiling.  It's about as long as my forearm, maybe a few ticks short, so it'll fit up my sleeve in a pinch. 

But best of all, it dried out my robe and put a stinging hex on that nasty scrabbler who took my bag of coins!

ShazaLupin

I'd heard that finding your perfect wand could take awhile so I went everywhere else first to make sure I had everything I needed. The sun was starting to lower when I entered Mr Ollivanders' shop and I worried I wouldn't have time to find it, especially if it took ages. However, I needn't have worried, it only took half a dozen wands and a few broken bits of furniture to find my perfect wand.

Alder, 11 1/2 inches, unicorn hair, unyeilding

Recent Badges

Akussa

It was raining like mad that morning so my father suggested we do this another day but I was not hearing it, I was getting my wand today no matter what was falling on our heads!

It seemed like everyone had had the same idea as my father since we were pretty much alone in Diagon Alley and Mr Ollivander was ready to help me as soon as I walked in his shop!

I was so nervous, what if no wand chooses me? I had done some pretty impressive accidental magic but still, there wa a chance that my magic had gone away in the last weeks.

It took 7 wands. 7 unresponsive wands before a great wave of fire went through my arm and with one swift motion, I turned my father's hair a bright blue color. Did that mean something about my future sorting, I wondered?

My father congratulated me, changed his hair back and payed for my wand. MY wand!

Willow wood

Unicorn hair core

10 1/8 long

Light and flexible

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.