HPFanficTalk
Rumpelstiltskin

The Character Vignette Challenge | Deadline 1 January 2018

The Character Vignette Challenge

Challenge Deadline:  January 1st, 2018

Accepted Fandom(s): Harry Potter, GoT, LotR/the Hobbit, Walking Dead, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Star Trek (excluding Discovery, as I haven't seen it yet), and Supernatural. Original Fiction is also welcome. You may propose a fandom not on the list to see if I'm familiar enough with it to properly grade this. Minor crossovers are absolutely accepted (taking certain elements from one fandom I'm unfamiliar with to a fandom I am familiar with, so long as the canonical understanding of those elements do not significantly impact the plot).

Accepted Ratings: AA-M (anything compliant with the archive rules)

Challenge Details:  I really love writing character vignettes. Not only do they help me establish or further develop headcanon for characters, but they also allow room for some amazing stylistic writing experiments. Because I love them so much and because I've written plenty of them, I decided to challenge you lovely people to see what you've got (and also, I like peeking at other people's headcanon).

Challenge Rules/Guidelines:

•  Write a character vignette. What's a character vignette? I want to you capture a single moment in time that focus solely on a character which most likely will reveal at least one level of characterization. You can explore writing in moods, settings, genres, styles, etc. for bonus points (but we'll get to that in a minute).
    • You may pick your own character, or ask me to give you one at random (but please specify if you'd like a particular era (ex. founders, second wizarding war, etc.) or a particular family line (ex. the Blacks, the Longbottoms, etc.)). 
  • You may submit up to three of these vignettes (of course, you may also submit only one; I'll be judging each submission individually). 
    • they can be chaptered in one story or they can be presented as three individual stories
  • No prewritten stories allowed, please.
    • If you have a collection of one-shots in a chaptered format and would like to add this vignette to the collection, that is perfectly acceptable (so long as I don't have to read the rest of the one-shots to understand the entry -- it should be a stand-alone read).
  • Please try to keep each vignette under 3k words (which is a lengthy vignette).
    • I will not take points off until up to 100 words over the limit, and then I will begin taking 5 points off for every 100 additional words over the limit.
  • You may combine this/these with any other challenge. That's cool.
  • Challenge entries must be submitted to the HPFT archives, as I will be reviewing/judging entries on that archive only.
  • Must have Written for Rumpelstiltskin's Character Vignette Challenge in the story summary at least until after winners are announced.

Special Challenge Details: If you are wanting to experiment with additional elements to your story, please feel free to ask for random moods, settings, genres, styles, etc. or choose something you'd like to experiment with. Feel free to request/use as many of these in your vignette(s) as you'd like. Up to three experimental attempts in each vignette will be rewarded 1 point each to add to your overall rubric score. If you're choosing to include this, please indicate it when you're dropping off the link for your entry and list them in your chapter notes, please, for my sanity and so that they are not overlooked.

Rewards: I'll review each entry. 3rd place: one additional review, a challenge graphic, listed in my profile under Character Vignette Challenge Winners, bragging rights.  2nd place: two additional reviews, a challenge graphic, listed in my profile under Character Vignette Challenge Winners, picspam, bragging rights. 1st place: four additional reviews, listed in my profile under Character Vignette Challenge Winners, picspam, a link in my signature for 30 days, and (at least) 3 Writer's Journal questions, bragging rights.

For the sake of transparency, here are the guidelines of the grading rubric I'll be using for this challenge (you may request a copy of YOUR rubrics after the challenge results have been posted, which will be delivered by PM):

Challenge Requirements (10%): Did the entry meet all of the requirements listed above?
Plot (25%): A vignette may stray away from the typical plot-structure, especially if presented as a drabble. What I'm looking for is a PURPOSE behind the vignette (is it a turning point in the character's life, or is it revealing something about the character, or maybe even revealing something about another character or event through the character, etc.)
Originality (25%): Your originality can come through in voice or style, or however you'd like, so long as there's something that brings 'you' as an author to the table. 
Technical Writing (15%): Is your writing clear, concise, with good transitions and context? Did you proofread? What do your spelling and grammar look like?
Readability (20%): Can I identify the character without reading any summaries or notes? Does your story make sense? Was the fluency easy to comprehend (flow and expression)?
Depth (5)%: How well do I understand the character/situation after reading your vignette?
Bonus Points! (up to +3 points): Attempting an experiment with moods, settings, genres, styles, etc.

Edited by Rumpelstiltskin
  • Like 3

This sounds right up my alley! I'll be a maybe.

• Like 1

I haven't written HP in a while, let alone successfully completed a challenge, but this looks interesting! I'm going to be a maybe.

I'd also like to request a random mood and setting, please :)

• Like 1

Admittedly, my track record for challenges is pretty terrible.... but this is SO up my alley, i can't resist! I'm in! :yay:

If I ask for prompts, do I have to use them? If not, I would like to see a random genre, mood, and character. 

• Like 1

I haven't written HP in a while, let alone successfully completed a challenge, but this looks interesting! I'm going to be a maybe.

I'd also like to request a random mood and setting, please :)

Awesome! Your mood is Romantic and your settings is the Forbidden Forest

Admittedly, my track record for challenges is pretty terrible.... but this is SO up my alley, i can't resist! I'm in! :yay:

If I ask for prompts, do I have to use them? If not, I would like to see a random genre, mood, and character. 

Hooray! You do NOT have to commit to the prompts.  Your genre is Action, your mood is Bravado, and your character is Davey Gudgeon. 

Participants (all takers and maybes):

forever_dreaming
Jen25
dreamgazer220
MuggleMaybe

I'm going to try to give this a shot. :) I'm not sure who yet, but I know it'll be someone Harry Potter related. Can you throw a random setting at me? That may help me settle on a character. 

• Like 1

Sweet! ^_^ How about Borgin and Burkes?

forever_dreaming
Jen25
dreamgazer220
MuggleMaybe
MegGonagall

just asking, can I submit chapter 4 of my work, A Prayer (M) ?

"Write a character vignette" is one of my weak points. I'd like to try this if I can.

If I can, I try writing founders, Salazar, Rowena, Godric and Helga for this challenge.

Please try to keep each vignette under 3k words (which is a lengthy vignette).

As you said ^, I'll try focusing on Salazar, Rowena and Godric. Maybe Helga's POV about three founders, her vignettes will be interesting.

Edited by StarFeather
  • Like 1

Hey Kenny, since the fourth chapter will be bee, yes you can absolutely submit it. A vignette on the founders sounds fun! 

• Like 1

Oh heyy. I don't think I've participated in a challenge in like two years and this seems like a good way to get back into it and have some fun experimenting with writing. May I have a random HP character and random mood/genre please? :) Thank you!

• Like 1

Woohoo, Kristin!

Let's see, how about Anthony Goldstein for a character,  complacent for the mood and/or mystery as a genre?

forever_dreaming
Jen25
dreamgazer220
MuggleMaybe
MegGonagall
StarFeather
Stella Blue

I think I will attempt this...not sure if I will succeed but I will give it a shot :) 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin said:

Woohoo, Kristin!

Let's see, how about Anthony Goldstein for a character,  complacent for the mood and/or mystery as a genre?

Ooh, yeah that'll be a challenge. :P Awesome. Thanks! I'll see what I can do!

• Like 1

Yessss, Tasha! If you can fold a fitted bedsheet, then you can do anything! xD

Yay, Kristin!! You can do it! 

forever_dreaming
Jen25
dreamgazer220
MuggleMaybe
MegGonagall
StarFeather
Stella Blue
MalfoysAngel

• Haha 1

Hooray, Branwen!! 

forever_dreaming
Jen25
dreamgazer220
MuggleMaybe
MegGonagall
StarFeather
Stella Blue
MalfoysAngel
abhorsen.

Hey Rumpel! I'm going to give this a try! Can I please have a random character? Marauders or Trio-gen please!

Sure thing! 

forever_dreaming
Jen25
dreamgazer220
MuggleMaybe
MegGonagall
StarFeather
Stella Blue
MalfoysAngel
abhorsen.
BlackPixie