HPFanficTalk
Sign in to follow this  
victoria_anne

Rick Riordan-verse

Mythology, middle-grade, snarky heroes... everything I could ever want in a book series.

So I've just finished reading the first two books in the Percy Jackson series, and I'm nearly finished with the first book in the Magnus Chase series, and I'm pretty sure I've found my new obsession. These books are amazing, and I love how they - including the Kane Chronicles and the Trials of Apollo series - are all part of the same universe, and sometimes the characters crossover. Magnus is actually Annabeth Chase's cousin. Normally I don't enjoy first-person story telling, but Rick Riordan does it so well I can't help but want more.

So what about you? Have you read all the mythology series'? What are your favourites? For anyone who has read the Gods of Asgard, I'm sure you will agree with me that Blitz and Hearth are precious angels who must be protected at all cost. 

Percy Jackson owned my entire high school experience. I dragged my mom to both midnight premieres of the movies even though I literally almost walked out of the second one and she had to force me to stay.

I've read the original PJO (the agony of waiting for The Last Olympian to come out was unreal) and then Heroes of Olympus, but I haven't ventured into his other series yet. I have the first book of the Kane Chronicles, but I couldn't get into them so I never finished it. I really really want to read Trials of Apollo and Magnus Chase though, I just gotta find the time :P 

I love Percy Jackson! I recommend these books all the time, and it was actually my best friend who got me to read them -- I think we'd graduated college at that point? Either way, she was like, "You need to read these books" and I'm so happy I did!

I haven't read anything other than the original Percy Jackson books -- I haven't ventured off into The Heroes of Olympus or anything else, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to pick them up at some point.

The movies were a complete disappointment (except for Logan Lerman, let's be real). Claire, I don't blame you for wanting to walk out of the second movie because that was just a disaster.  So Bianca, if you haven't watched the movies, don't bother and just keep your love of the books, and that way you won't be disappointed. <3 

@dreamgazer220 I'm ashamed to say that in this case I actually watched the movies first, and I absolutely loved them, and they're how I got into the books. Of course, now that I've read the books, I can't believe how much they changed, and if I'd read the books first I would have been so angry and disappointed in the adaption. But since I didn't, I can't help but still like the movies :$

Percy Jackson is an amazing series. Greek mythology was always something that interested me but I never really spent much time reading about it. For me, the thing that makes Percy Jackson such a great series is that it takes the myths but ties them into more relevant material so it's easier for young readers to grasp and get interested in. I also enjoyed the fact that ADHD was shown as being a strength for the characters rather than a weakness as often times mental illness is shown in a negative light. 

Another thing I love about the series is that all ages can read an enjoy the books. I have young nephews who have read and loved the series and enjoy talking to me about where they are at in the books and what their favorite parts have been. I also got my boyfriend into the series as well and young adult isn't really his thing. He's more into books where you learn things like philosophy, psychology, and political books. It's nice to have things that we can both talk to my nephews about and be able to understand what they are talking about because when it comes to most of the other things they are into, I have no idea what they are saying. So books have become a really good way for me to talk to them about relevant material and explain more about situations in life that they will experience. 

I also really loved the Kane Chronicles as it introduced me to this whole new world as I had never explored Egyptian mythology before. He does a fantastic job of allowing his readers to explore new areas and give us enough information that we understand what is going on as well as providing us with a dictionary so we can look up the things we need to that he is unable to explain fully in writing the story. 

• Like 1

I watched the first movie before buying the first book. Though, I couldn't get into it at first. That was I think 2010. I saw the second movie and got into them again. I marathoner all his series two years ago to prepare for the first Magnus Chase Book. 

Hereoes of Olympus > Percy Jackson > Kane Chronicles. I think it's because I was never too into Egyptian Mythology. 

So I've finished Magnus Chase, have a pretty box set of Heroes of Olympus in my bookdepository wishlist, and I'm halfway through Battle of the Labyrinth. Now that I've read more of the books, I take back what I said about the movies. They really did butcher them :P 

OMGGGG, I LOVE the Percy Jackson series SOOO MUCH!!! :wub:  I confess, I was one of those who was first introduced to the series when The Lightning Thief came out in theaters. After seeing it for the first time though, I immediately left the theater and went straight to the bookstore and picked a copy up, lol! So glad I watched the film first too, as I would have been severely disappointed like everyone else had I done the opposite. I generally like to be surprised (when possible) when watching a movie for the 1st time. Because 9 times outta 10, the Book is ALWAYS better than the movie, lol!! ;) 

I read through the first five Percy Jackson and the Olympians books so quickly though; they were AMAZING!! The film was released in mid Feb. 2010, and I believe that I had finished them all by like mid-April. Then I had to endure the wait from spring thru fall, until the first Heroes of Olympus book was released in October of that year. After that, I was at every single midnight release party for each HoO book that came out. (The wait for The House of Hades was the absolute WORST though, lol! :P) If you've read it already, you'll understand the cliffhanger agony I'm referring too, haha!! You newbs do not know the Percabeth struggle!! :headwall:

If you haven't started them yet, @victoria_anne, you seriously NEED to get to reading the HoH books ASAP, B!!! They are AMAZING!!! I just know you are going to LOVE them!! It starts out kind of slow in book one, but by book two everything is go, go, GO, lol!! Book 4 (The House of Hades) was by far my favorite. (So much Percabeth!!) I cannot wait to hear which one you liked the best once you've read them all. 

I know I need to read the Magnus Chase books. I purchased the 1st book on release day, and then I read chapter 1... But then life happened, and I still have not found the time to return it yet. :( It's still sitting on my bookshelf though, and I do have every intention on reading it someday (hopefully soon!) Rick Riordan is just such an amazing author, and I could gush about his stories for days, lol!! In his recent new website launch, I took the quiz and discovered that I am a child of Apollo; the Greek God of Music, which I was super stoked about, haha!! :D 

Has anyone else taken the new official quiz yet to find out who their Godly parent is yet?? It's pretty cool!! You can take it here at: ReadRiordan.com  :twothumbsup:

Edited by RoxiMalfoy

Yoooo, House of Hades was the absolute greatest thing ever, probably one of my favorite of all the PJO books I've read. I downloaded it the day it came out and burned through it in a matter of hours. It's been years since I first read it (oh my god I just looked it up and it came out four years ago??? damn I'm old) and I'm still shook. 

...there's an official quiz?? :ninjavanish:

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this  

UA-79258518-1