HPFanficTalk
WindingArrow

Firestarter by WindingArrow

Hello, hi there, and WELCOME. I am your author, Liz, and this year I will be returning to an old 2011 project called Firestarter. Firestarter is the first in a five book series about magic users (referred to as Archelai) and elemental dragons. (Fire, Water, Electric, Air, and Ground.) Each book features a different dragon type, a different country, a different time period, but follows the same family bloodline. There is a generous amount of religious influence twisted around with my own personal beliefs and just some stuff that matches up with my world and a heavy handed amount of sarcastic dragons.

Firestarter takes place 430-ish years after the start of the new recorded history (Don't worry! There's a whole origin story about that that I did two years ago!) in the small town of Fletcher in the country of I Don't Remember Because I Misplaced My Notes Again. Yet To Be Renamed Fire Dragon terrorizes a vast region, picking from towns near to his cave and stealing livestock. He comes to Fletcher once every few weeks or so. Though the worst thing he has ever done in the few years he's been around is burn down a field (once) and take Farmer Joash's prized milk cow, the people live in constant fear of him and hope that the church will finally send help to dispatch of the beast.

Rocha O'Briar (Class 5 Archelai -barely-) fears her little brother's fascination with the dragon more than the beast himself. With their mother passed away when he was very young, she has raised Tomin almost on her own while her father makes coin in his blacksmithing ways. When the church FINALLY sends someone to help (a Class Two Archelai, the famed Maudina de Morla), she thinks she can rest easier. However, the longer Maudina is in town, the more the townspeople seem to be infatuated with her. When the dragon finally comes again and she goes to do battle with it, Tomin runs into the fray as if to help the dragon, taking the killing spell in his stead.

Distraught, Rocha sneaks out in the middle of the night to track and slay the dragon herself. But when she finally reaches his cave, the dragon doesn't fight back. He presents her his most vulnerable area to let her take her revenge. After that, she finds she can't go through with it. She visits the dragon several times, slowly becoming friends with him while her father and the other townspeople seem to fall further and further under Maudina's spell...

Murder! Mayhem! Sarcastic dragon quips!

This is going to be a straight up rewrite. While I finished the 50k in 2011, I never finished the story, so we will see how this goes. I am going to ATTEMPT to post on AO3 as I go, posting whatever I wrote for the day as a "chapter." Yay, motivation! Should be absolutely hectic with everything else going on. @_@

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WindingArrow said:

Sarcastic dragon quips!

Is this dragon going to talk?? :excited:

...and clearly I have no manners. Hello, this is Isobel stopping by to set up camp in your nest of dragons with questions!

• Oooh, I love the sound of those elemental dragons. Do they have to terrorise the country, though? Can't they just be friends with the human populace? :sad:
  • Why are the humans (of Fletcher, at least) so afraid of the dragons? Is there no-one among them powerful enough to fight or are the dragons too powerful?
  • Is magic learnt or are you born with it? If born, is it genetic or can you be born with magic if your parents are nonmagical?
  • How does one become an Archelai?
  • What are the classes of the Archelai and how are they defined? (I feel like that was badly phrased, so if you need clarification, just let me know!)
  • How do you progress through the classes/gain a rank? Is this down to hard work or natural talent?
  • Does Rocha ever blame Maudina for Tomin's death?
  • What is a dragon's most vulnerable area? Does this vary between dragons, e.g. the most vulnerable area for a Fire Dragon isn't the same as an Electric Dragon's most vulnerable area?

@esmeraude

Hi, Isobel! (Your screenname is so pretty!) I am going to try and answer your questions in a more coherent fashion than I caused them. (Yes, the dragon talks. There was going to be mystical mumbo jumbo about how dragons gain the ability to speak, but I chucked that in the bin because they are already super mystical with their soul keeping, tear-stone sculpting, immortalness ways. All dogs go to heaven, all cats are plotting world domination, and all dragons talk.)

Oooh, I love the sound of those elemental dragons. Do they have to terrorise the country, though? Can't they just be friends with the human populace? :sad:

The problem between humans and dragons dates back to the Origin Story which almost literally ended with their awakening. Though the ancient histories aren't much explored in the main series, the new recorded histories begin at the end of an endless winter when the Lord God Sulis (name subject to drastic change) intervened. During the "endless" winter, magical beasts and creatures were asleep and the winter lasted for so long, that people forgot they existed. When the creatures awoke, dragons were the last to get up and had to be raised by the angel Lucier. They were so fearsome and terrifying that people straight up said NOPE and proceeded to fight them, blaming Lucier and labelling her as a traitor. (In their religion, Lucier is basically the devil.) Dragons didn't really know what to think, waking up and being viciously hated and attacked, so they do what they have to to survive and terrorizing is easiest way to get food and not be killed by commonfolk.

Why are the humans (of Fletcher, at least) so afraid of the dragons? Is there no-one among them powerful enough to fight or are the dragons too powerful?

Well, they are afraid because to them, dragons are giant elemental breathing killing machines and on their own, no, they really can't do anything. They're too afraid of a horrible retaliation if they anger the dragon in an attempt to stop it, so it's easier to let the dragon take off with food and hope that the church will send aid.

Is magic learnt or are you born with it? If born, is it genetic or can you be born with magic if your parents are nonmagical?

You are born with it and it is very genetic. Also, it's angelic! In "the beginning," the angels selected five families to rule across the different regions of the continent. (It's a single super-continent world.) The offspring of these families were blessed with magic. The vast amount of magic users now is due to large families and royal infidelity.

How does one become an Archelai?

You're just born that way. 'Archelai' was the name given to the magical offspring of the ruling families, a name invented in honor of the Archangels who blessed them.

What are the classes of the Archelai and how are they defined? (I feel like that was badly phrased, so if you need clarification, just let me know!)

You're fine! There are 5 classes of Archelai and they are defined by how powerful you are, Class One being the most powerful with the ability to solo most spells with little environmental impact (you draw on the lifeforce of nature as well as your own since nature is a neverending spring of untapped magic), and Class Five being the weakest with barely enough ability to heal a minor cut or scrape without using up a lot of energy, often feeling physically drained afterward. Basically, the higher your class, the more you can do and the more useful you are to the church.

How do you progress through the classes/gain a rank? Is this down to hard work or natural talent?

You don't. Generally speaking, the class you're born with is the class you will remain throughout your life. With proper training, you can improve your stamina and be better adept in your class, meaning if you're a Class Five you won't wear yourself out as much with your magic use, but you still cannot cast more powerful spells without help from other Archelai.

Does Rocha ever blame Maudina for Tomin's death?

Eventually when she comes to understand exactly what Maudina is doing.

What is a dragon's most vulnerable area? Does this vary between dragons, e.g. the most vulnerable area for a Fire Dragon isn't the same as an Electric Dragon's most vulnerable area?

I've never thought about it, but I think in this case, it's the heart. When I wrote the original scene, it was very Dragonheart in my head, with the dragon pulling back scales to reveal his heart. I don't know if that will change or not. I will have to think on that second part and get back to you because it's something I haven't considered before, though I think the underbelly of any dragon is considered a vulnerable place.

Thank you for all the lovely questions and if you have any more, come at me, bro! I have a LOT of pent up info on this series and any question that makes me think is a good one. I seriously am trying to be on a JKR level with the knowledge of my world. <3<3<3

Edited by WindingArrow

Hello Liz! :waving:

This sounds SO interesting! You've already written an entire "main series" about this? Where can we read them??!

When the dragon finally comes again and she goes to do battle with it, Tomin runs into the fray as if to help the dragon, taking the killing spell in his stead.

^^OH MY GOD!!!!!! This is a total Hunger Games moment!

A few questions to add:

1. What is the role of the church? Is there also a government in the sense of a king of a president or something? Or is the church the main organizing structure?

2. Which Hogwarts house would each central character be in?

Um... If you're a really good tech person, you can read what little exists off of many different hard drives. I used to be not so good with the backup thing, but my husband was GREAT at the 'make the netbook die inside a month' thing. The stories aren't posted anywhere, though Firestarter will be briefly posted on AO3. I'm hoping posting my progress will help motivate me because November is going to be faaaaaaar more busy than normal this year. I've worked on every single book for a NaNo except for the 4th one.

1. What is the role of the church? Is there also a government in the sense of a king of a president or something? Or is the church the main organizing structure?

The role of the church is sort of complicated. As I said, there WERE five ruling familes, each starting its own monarchy. By the time Firestarter begins, there are only three. One was completely killed off shortly after the church was established, their castle now being basically the equivalent of the Vatican in my world, and the other was forcibly abdicated with their magic bound due to their association with Lucier. Those two countries are more or less run by the church. The other countries still retain their rule, though they look to the church often times. The church itself is actually... Evil. It was founded corrupt. The man who was supposed to found religious teachings and the church in general was killed by his disciple who then took his place pretending to be a prophet in order to gain power. In Firestarter, the church is presented as humble, though you start to get an inkling of what could be lurking when you realize that everything Maudina has ever done was approved of or blatantly ignored by the church. As the series and the centuries progress, the church becomes a dominating force in the world.

2. Which Hogwarts house would each central character be in?

Hahaha! This is probably the only story I've never thought about that for! I'll have to go on surface things for the moment.

Rocha and Tomin are definitely Gryffindors despite the major personality differences. Tomin craves high fantasy adventure and Rocha will break rules to protect her family.
Ancel (the father) and Gytha (neighbor and family friend) are Hufflepuffs, I feel, both hard working and family oriented.
Jarek (the newly named dragon) is something between a Ravenclaw and a Gryffindor. His mouth just... His mouth...
Rycan (a nobleman you will learn about later) is really hard to place. He is brave and fiercely loyal, so somewhere between a Hufflepuff and a Gryffindor.
Maudina is a straight Slytherin of the Tom Riddle variety.

I think those are all the main characters...

Thanks for the questions! <3

• Like 1

YAASSSS DRAGONS!!!

Game of Thrones season 7 game of thrones got winter GIF

Disney’s Pete’s Dragon movie disney dragon reaction gif GIF

game of thrones hbo dragon baby dragon GIF

smile cartoons & comics awkward how to train your dragon toothless GIF

smaug GIF

Oops, wrong one

smaug GIF

That's better.

I'm very excited :D Good luck, and keep us updated on those scales, okay?! :hug:

• Haha 1

B, you are amazing, but my computer is not. :( Some of your pics aren't working, but they show on my phone??? xD 

Anywho, since I already rewrote the first chapter a while back and I am jumping off from there, I decided to go ahead and put it up. It can only be viewed by registered AO3 members and the comments are moderated.

Firestarter (15+)

Hello Liz!

Your story sounds absolutely AMAZING! Dragons, magic, history, religion... gosh! It's great that you're picking it up because it sounds intriguing and I'd definitely love to read it. 

• It sounds like you have given it a lot of thought and it's been on your mind for a while. How do you usually organize your thoughts/ideas/plunnies for this one?
  • I love that you're planning 5 different books with the same bloodline but different elemental dragons! Have you already thought about the other elemental parts, or are you focusing on Firestarter for now?

You're going to rock this Nano! Good luck with it, and I'll be back with some virtual cooking and cakes!

my beautiful Liz!! :wub::wub:

I'm just dropping by with a quick message of support for your project! I can't wait to talk about this project with you and all your crazy complicated plotlines! I'm so behind you and here for you!!

remember: you're amazing and talented. you're going to kill this!!

:ravenclaw:

@FlamingQuilltips I'm certainly trying! This year is particularly challenging for NaNo with so many things in RL going on, so I thought working on an old project would be easier.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:05 AM, FlamingQuilltips said:

It sounds like you have given it a lot of thought and it's been on your mind for a while. How do you usually organize your thoughts/ideas/plunnies for this one?

Erm... I have a notebook full of notes. And another notebook full of notes. And a few handfuls of loose paper... Full of notes. I try to keep them organized and separated by writing the title of the book the notes are for at the top of the page.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:05 AM, FlamingQuilltips said:

I love that you're planning 5 different books with the same bloodline but different elemental dragons! Have you already thought about the other elemental parts, or are you focusing on Firestarter for now?

When I first sat down to write Firestarter, it was supposed to be a stand alone book, but I wrote details about all the dragons just in case they popped up or someone mentioned them. (I think there is a scene where a water dragon is visiting the fire dragon in a river that runs by his cave.) Everything from color to size, defining characteristics, habitats and special abilities. For instance, air dragons don't have wings. They can just literally make themselves as light as air. I've actually worked on almost every single book at one point or other, except the fourth one. I have notes on which dragon type is in which book, their names, who they travel with and what country they're in.

Thank you for the questions! I hope I answered them appropriately.

@Crimson Quill I DON'T KNOW WHAT SIMPLE IS!!! I need help.... T_T

Aaaaaand this happened today.

"What all happened last night?" Ancel demanded.

"Rocha was staring at Jora and then the whole town stopped moving!" Tomin answered before Rocha could.

"Tomi!" she hissed, more so about the part involving her than anything else.

Ancel paused, looking between his two children blankly before tossing his head back and roaring with laughter. "The town stopped moving because Rocha looked at a man? I think I might be able to believe that!" He laughed even harder, wiping a tear from his eye as his daughter stood, her face steadily growing more and more red. "I never dreamed a day would come when any man would catch your fancy!"

"He does not catch my fancy!" Rocha cried, affronted.

Technically, this is not supposed to be a funny scene, but this is what happened when the 10 year old answers first. xD 

So! I've been doing a lot to catch up in the last few days with extra special thanks to the wonderful @dreamgazer220 and as of today I am back on track this NaNo! So far this rewrite is very surprising. There are new characters and new tones and new avenues and the last time I wrote the death scene of one of the character, I didn't cry. This time around, my husband walked in while I was finishing the scene and legitimately thought someone had died, so...

Finally getting into some of the meatier bits of the story! Rocha has met the dragon and her father's part in the storyline is decidedly darker than normal. (A lot of the story is decidedly darker than normal. I also think this is the doing of @dreamgazer220 who has taught me a little too much about angst over the years...) There is an unexpected love interest that isn't destined to work out, but it's interesting nonetheless! And yeah! Stuffs and things!

AO3 is down for maintenance today, so I don't know that I will be able to update like I have been, but it has actually been a really great motivator to know that I committed to writing and posting every single day. There are chapters with like 500 words just because that's all I wrote. It's pretty awesome, I think.

My initial goal this year was to exceed 50k and get to the end of the story, but I'm not sure that will happen. I think I'll at least hit the big 50-0-0-0, but I don't know if The End is something I will reach.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

UA-79258518-1