HPFanficTalk
cat!

we rattle this town, we rattle this scene by cat!

olVOHm.png

This year I’ll be working on a (surprise) The 100 fanfic, based on a couple of anonymous Bellarke prompts I got back in May (married and trying for a baby + grounder!Bellamy with an arranged marriage.) While trying to figure out how to smush them together and only write one ~3k fic, I accidentally came up with a massive canonverse AU covering the first two seasons.

Given the plot and source material I’m working with, please be aware that there will likely be mentions of sensitive topics in this thread- obviously arranged marriage, and probably also violence and torture (nothing above what’s depicted on the actual show). 

I don't have a proper summary yet, since I'm not planning on posting until it's finished, but basically, it’s a bit of a For Want Of A Nail fic, with three major points of difference from canon:

1. Instead of being banished, Roan won a coup against his mother and has been the king of Azgeda for three years. Now, he’s plotting to recreate the coalition into a confederacy: twelve independent but allied clans, rather than twelve clans subordinate to the Commander.
  2. The Blakes are grounders. Aurora is chief of the Delphi clan, a meritocracy, which has been forced into a close alliance with Ice Nation. Octavia married Roan and is now queen consort of Ice Nation. Bellamy is a respected general, without strong ties to either clan, serving as the head of Octavia's security for lack of anything better to do.
  3. The Dropship lands in Ontario.

It's a much bigger fic than I've ever attempted before (I haven't written anything over 10k in almost a decade), with more characters and physical territory and plot threads than I've ever had to deal with before. I'm hoping to have just two POV characters (Clarke and Raven), but the plot's gotten so complicated (thanks, grounder politics) I have a feeling I won't be able to keep to that limit. I have basically no idea how the romance is going to go (my love story notes are literally just “unlikely partners! sort of friends! betrayal? smut?”). I have about 4k of notes I need to review this week, as well as a rewatch of at least the first two seasons to get a refresh on the canon characterization. Also, I should probably finish my timeline.

I'm still pretty excited about it, though, which is good, since I've been thinking about this fic for almost six months. I have a lot of the plot worked out, and most of the ending figured out, with enough details left to keep me interested in writing. It'll be the first time I write a f/f relationship, too, (Raven/season2!Echo) which is pretty exciting. My goal is to finish a rough draft in November, edit/rewrite in December, and post in January, before the next season starts, but we'll see how it goes. 

Questions, comments, and nagging about my word count welcome!

Hi cat!! Excellent penname, says the crazy cat lady :P

So, I'll be honest: I've never seen The 100, so a couple of the terms here have gone over my head. This novel sounds great though and it's clear that you've put some work into it, so here are questions!

• Do you anticipate any problems with fact-checking/cross-checking details with the show during NaNo? Books are easier to reference, but I imagine relying on your memory will be a lot harder, particularly by the end of the month.
  • From the sound of things, I'm guessing deviations 2 and 3 are necessary to fulfil the prompts you were given. What about Roan made you want to change his fate and deviate from canon?
  • Why does this plunny make you want to tackle a 50k novel when you're used to shorter fics? What's special about this one?
  • Do you think you'll have trouble developing the romance in this novel without a plan, or are you happy to let the characters take the plot and run with it?
  • Should I watch The 100? :P

12 hours ago, cat! said:

Given the plot and source material I’m working with, please be aware that there will likely be mentions of sensitive topics in this thread- obviously arranged marriage, and probably also violence and torture (nothing above what’s depicted on the actual show). 

This is a reminder that our site has a policy about posting and discussing material of a mature nature.   Content that would require a Mature rating on the HPFT archives, should be discussed briefly, sparingly, and maturely.  Please make sure that you familiarize yourself with the Site Guidelines here before you post.

I know absolutely nothing about The 100, but I wanted to stop by and say Welcome to HPFT! I'm so happy you have a story you're excited about!

I'm very excited that you're including a f/f romance! Yay! I know there are several people around here who could be great resources if you have questions about that aspect of the story, myself included. ^_^ 

@esmeraude Hey Isobel, thanks for dropping by with some awesome questions! 

• I'm not foreseeing any difficulties with keeping things accurate- there's a pretty decent fan wiki, and I'm on my third rewatch through the relevent seasons, and so little of my plot actually lines up with what happens on the show anyway. And if anything, that's what editing is for!
  • The changes with Roan mostly followed from trying to justify the arranged marriage. There have actually been a few other fics with the same/similar premise for my ship (at least three that I've read) and I'd prefer to avoid using the same setup as any of the others. Technology is the only real asset the delinquents have, and Roan is the one most likely to want access to tech (to take down the commander, who has banned all tech), hence Roan being in charge, and pushing for an alliance with the delinquents. Also, spoiler for 4x11-
Spoiler

Roan dies and I'm bitter about it.

• When I started, I definitely wasn't planning on turning this into a huge novel, but now I'm really interested in exploring the ramifications of my changes. I've also had to do a lot of worldbuilding, to fill in the gaps the show left open or to fix things that don't work for me in canon, especially with the geography, which should be fun to play with. I don't particularly like how the show handles the grounder politics, so in that respect this is kind of a fix it fic. It's not the first longer fic I've ever worked on, but it's the one I feel most optimistic about finishing. If all else fails, I'll turn Rebel and try to get 50k combined on all of my various WIPs :P
  • I'm hoping the romance will develop pretty organically. In canon, they're a fantastic slow burn relationship, so I've got that to model my version off of, just in half (or less) the episode count! I know I generally want a reluctant partners to friends to lovers sort of arc, but for the specifics, I'll see what they want to do.
  • That depends! It's not the kind of show I'm willing to blindly recommend to every single person, but if you're into sci-fi with amazingly deep and diverse characters (bisexual slytherinish protagonist! a gay black man! a disabled latina in STEM! an asian male love interest! non-toxic masculinity! girls who lead! warrior girls! smart girls! girls who make poor decisions for a variety of reasons!) and great relationship development and questionable science, check it out for sure. It does delve into some very morally gray issues - even the protagonists have done terrible things - and it's not without some problematic elements (it's quite violent, Bury Your Gays, a disproportionate number black characters killed off). It's the kind of show that expects you to make up your own mind rather than just telling you who's the good guy and who's the bad guy. I will definitely say that if you want to watch it, you can't give up before 1x05 - that's the first really great episode. Before that, it's very much a CW teen drama. 

@Veritaserum27 yes, I've read the rules and shall be very careful about what I post here. It just seemed prudent to let people know just in case :)

@MuggleMaybe thanks! I'm bi myself so I'm not too worried ^_^ my main issue is that I know one character waaaay better than the other

• Like 1

OHHHH, ANNA SUNNNN! hi lovely. I'm swinging in with a few questions for your story! First of all, squee for more the 100 fanfiction because it's my absolutely favorite. 

grounder!Bellamy with an arranged marriage

I LOVE this trope. Especially with the whole political marriage concept so omg I can't wait. 

Roan winning a coup would be amazing because he's my absolute favorite individual character other than Raven and I need more Roan in my life. I wonder how his characterization would be different without the struggles of being isolated though. Would he be as relatively gracious as he was to Clarke or would he be more hostile like other grounders? Also I really like this idea of them as twelve independent coalitions, but they bicker and back stab so much as is. Would they function as a united front if they weren't bound by a leader?

YES RAVEN/ECHO! <3 

My biggest question is just when can I read this because I can't wait. 

Arranged marriage is one of my favorites as well- really I just love that entire fake relationship/arranged marriage/soulmates/we need to be together for plot reasons category :wub: 

I don't really see Roan immediately labelling a new group of people as enemies to be eliminated, like Azgeda did to Farm Station or Trikru did to the 100- he's more likely to wait and see how they turn out, if they can be any use to him. I feel like Roan's primary characteristic as a leader is pragmatism - he'll work with anyone as long as they can help him further his own goals. Clarke can do that, so Roan will be as civil as she wants. The three years Roan has been king have been a different kind of struggle- dealing with his mother's remaining supporters, dealing with the other clans, trying to figure out what kind of ruler he's going to be, other than just better than Nia. I really like the begrudging respect and fondness Roan and Clarke have for each other in canon, so I'm sort of building everything else around that. The more I think about Roan, the more I want to write a prequel about him actually taking his mother down, but that's a project for another month.

As far as the conflict between clans goes - I always got the impression that it wasn't exactly natural, that they were being encouraged toward violence by the 'blood must have blood' thing, which came from Becca. Overthrow the commander system, and you won't have the leaders preaching constant war anymore, so maybe they'll be able to at least be non-antagonistic toward each other, even if they aren't super friendly. It also helps that they have a common enemy in Mount Weather. MW will (probably???) only be neutralized at the end of my fic, so I'm not sure that I'll have to deal with all of that anyway :P 

Thanks for the questions, Paula <3

Writing update!

• Current word count: 1340 as of 11/1 2:30am
  • Things googled so far: flora of Ontario, flora of Virginia, how to figure out where you are, survival pack equipment, iss to earth travel time, thunderstorm radar map, topographical map usa, 60 f to c, washington dc sunset time september 13, iss temperature 
  • Issues so far: how do you stop researching please send help, don't want to repeat the show's dialogue, how do you deal with more than two characters talking to each other at once??
  • Favorite sentence(s) so far:  The forest covers the hills, and beyond, there's the promise of water.

• Like 1

Hello!! I'm just stopping by to say I'm rooting for you and YOU CAN DO THIS!

The forest covers the hills, and beyond, there's the promise of water.

This, sentence, is, awesome! :D

• Like 1

Thanks so much, @FlamingQuilltips! I'm particularly proud of that sentence because description definitely is not my strength, and it was easy to write and felt natural in context, which was very exciting ^_^

Day 2 Writing Update! 

• Did a +word crawl from the NaNo site and managed to hit my target by the halfway point! Highly recommend if you're more motivated by microgoals than timers :)
  • Current word count: 3407! not as much as I was hoping for but at least I'm not behind! Last NaNo I got behind on day two and never recovered so this is exciting.
  • That also definitely makes word crawls the most effective way for me to get words out. Rat races are faster but I can't do as many and also I have a special talent for only noticing they've been posted halfway through.
  • Definitely spent 200 words making the characters do math #sorrynotsorry
  • Today's google search history: food safety and radiation, various searches on carrying water in bags , various searches on walking and kayaking speeds
  • Thank you, screencaps, for allowing me to check up on character outfits without having to actually watch the show.
  • Still not sick of listening to the MMFR soundtrack! Which is good, because I don't have any other instrumental music that works with my fic.
  • Really feeling the effects of not having Bellamy (and Octavia, but mostly Bell) on the drop ship (maybe should be one word, but drop ship is better for my word count). Bellamy completely changes the dynamic between Clarke and the other characters during the pilot, not to mention the plot in general. And people say he isn't a main character! :shrugs:
  • Super excited to get to repair Clarke and Wells' relationship (since Bellamy isn't around to accidentally tell a 12 year old to kill him). Clarke&Wells interactions also help establish Clarke's main character traits of 1. caring A Lot about Everything and 2. holding grudges until the end of time and 3. being a cute blonde ball of spite :wub:
  • Unsurprisingly, Finn continues to be The Worst. I'm getting some kind of twisted enjoyment as writing him as the kind of skeevy guy that thinks he's a good guy that people make excuses for up until and sometimes after he straight up murders eighteen people. So much mansplaining and and bragging and backhanded compliments and purposefully not mentioning his girlfriend.
  • Ergo, favorite sentences of the day:
  • “Hey, nothing wrong with being well-read,” Finn protests. He grins at Clarke, like they’re sharing a joke. “I happen to like smart girls.” Clarke somehow manages not to roll her eyes. 
  • I can either do dialogue or introspection, not both at the same time. Conversations look more like scripts than anything. Description still a nightmare, but that's what revising is for.
  • Feeling dangerously confident about the dreaded week two - at the rate I'm going, I'll only be introducing Bellamy on day four or five, which means I'll have the beginning of the relationship to get me through the tough days
  • I'm feeling slightly terrified that this fic is going to need close to 100k to get through the whole story :ninja: 

Day 3 Writing Update! 

• Current word count: 5081!
  • which is frankly a miracle because today has been pretty much terrible but I manage to hit 5k total AND 1667 for the day, with only a minute to spare
  • seriously today sucked. minor injuries on important body parts + not having any latex free bandaids + migraines + not being able to sleep until almost 5 this morning (I went to bed at 12:30 so >:()
  • I did have the most amazing dinner ever - perfectly cooked filet mignon (rare), sautéed chanterelles in a roasted garlic cream sauce, and a salad with white balsamic vinaigrette. good job self.
  • Today's google search history: mammals of great lakes region, maple trees, maple tree age, radiation effect on trees
  • seriously I learned  so much about maple syrup today guys. did not expect that maple syrup would have any place in my post-apocalyptic sci-fi fanfic but here we are.
  • I got through pretty much all of the pilot, or rather the plot points from the pilot that help my plot out - discovering there are survivors on the ground (though without any major injuries or death) and a near-death encounter with a mutant animal. 
  • up next: I haven't passed the Bechdel test yet, need to fix that. one of the downsides to not having O around, she's pretty much the only girl Clarke really talks to until Raven gets down. Although O and Clarke did talk about boys, so that wouldn't really fix anything. well, there's always charlotte. 
  • also need to work out some timeline issues, mainly about when Echo's going to show up
  • oooh echo and clarke will def be interacting, that'll help. 
  • favorite lines from the tail end of the action-ish scene (not sure that I've ever written any kind of action anything in my life, and I'm actually pretty pleased with how this turned out!) : “Hell yes, I’m going to eat it,” Jasper says. “I absolutely do not care at all that it’s a radioactive dog that definitely tried to murder us.”
  • Also:

“You retained all of that from reading pioneer books?” Finn asks, skeptical.

“Monty always had a sweet tooth,” Jasper says, inspecting the tap. “Paid attention to all the different natural sweeteners. Don’t ever ask him about agave.”

“Tequila,” Monty says in explanation.

• wow my dialogue tags need some work

Day 4 Writing Update! 

• Current word count: 6804!
  • counted the bonus hour (thanks daylight savings) towards the 4th rather than the 5th, because today was another bad writing day
  • mostly because I was writing filler for the first half, but once I realized what was going on I started summarizing and skipped to the good part.
  • no particularly good lines today, so I'm gonna leave you with this one instead: [Clarke] searches her brain for any reason to leave [Finn] behind other than [...] his entire personality. 
  • which I'll probably have to cut during editing but I'm definitely gonna enjoy it being there now
  • in better news, up next: I'm leaving Finn behind for a while and we're going to finally see Bellamy! And Roan! and also Octavia I guess. looking forward to writing tomorrow. hoping to hit 10k.
  • managed to not google anything today! it's a miracle :twothumbsup:
  • here, have an excerpt (feat. italics abuse):

Clarke lets Jasper explain about the trees, and then brag about the dog-thing. 

“Sounds like it might have been a coyote,” Wells says.

“A radioactive coyote,” Jasper corrects. “A mutant, radioactive coyote. The important thing is can I eat it?”

Wells gives it all due consideration. “If it’s going to kill you, it’ll be because of the radiation, not because it’s a coyote.”

Awesome.” 

Day 5 Writing Update! 

• Current word count: 8,391
  • Still on track, but a couple hundred words behind my goal for today (8,512 would put me at 1667 words for the day, so I just lost my buffer). I gave up on 10k when I realized how much I really need to be working on Christmas presents
  • made good progress on presents today.
  • also realized/accepted that I write best at night, under a bit of pressure, which is why I sat down with my laptop at 10:45 and managed to write about 1500 words in about an hour. That's almost three times my previous record for an hour of writing (>600) which is frankly miraculous. and it wasn't crap! 
  • most of it was a traveling scene, but it doesn't really feel like filler so I'm counting it as a win
  • also thanks to my limited amount of time to get my words in I did minimal googling.
  • Today's google search history: canoe speed, river width, lake ontario photography
  • I'm getting better at just writing fact check this in the comments
  • didn't quite get to Bellamy today, but that just gives me something to look forward to tomorrow!
  • we might have physically left Finn behind, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna stop writing about what a garbage human he is! so here, today's excerpt:

“Finn doesn’t listen to Clarke,” Miller says. “Finn does whatever the hell he wants and expects Clarke to be okay with it after he’s done. Or have you somehow missed all of the times he’s gone off exploring or whatever shit he does alone in the woods?”

“He’s got traps,” Clarke offers. It’s a weak defense, though, and they both know it. Finn’s gone way too much to just be checking his traps. “But you’re right. He’s…” Clarke considers and discards a list of adjectives, then continues, “not the best choice for this."

“So,” Harper says, drawing out the word, “does that mean you’re not interested? In Finn?”

The grounder stops, suddenly, saving Clarke from even having to process what Harper just said.

• fingers crossed for a finn-less excerpt tomorrow
  • unfortunately, since Clarke and Harper only talked about guys, and Echo doesn't really converse, at least not yet,  passing the bechdel test is still a distant dream. HOWEVER, I am passing enough +other female representation tests that I don't feel too bad about it.
  • starting to feel slightly nervous that 50k is only gonna get me through season one, and this will end up being a trilogy. or stupidly long. either way, yikes.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

UA-79258518-1