HPFanficTalk
abhorsen.

Various Greengrass fics, by abhorsen./Beeezie

OMG NERVOUS.

I'm going to be working on a few different things this year, including hopefully getting another chapter or two added to several of my WIPs, but my main focus is (I think?) going to be on my Greengrass stories. I've already got nine one-shots centered around them, so I've got some concept of what directions I want to go in.

SO.

Basically, my Greengrasses are... slightly dysfunctional? I gave Astoria and Daphne an older brother named Brendon. He is a Slytherin, a war hero, and also kind of polarizing. Astoria worships the ground he walks on, as does his daughter Johanna (to the extent that she basically refuses to talk to her mother after they get divorced), and he's got a solid working relationship with Harry (for the Aurors) and Seamus and Lavender (for magical creatures in general). Daphne, on the other hand, disliked him going into the war and really hates him afterward, for Reasons.

I want to explore Brendon a little more as a person, and I also want to play with the Astoria/Draco dynamic a bit more. (That's actively dysfunctional, though hopefully also sweet.) Also, I need more Johanna on my AP, because Jo is the best.

image.png.709edfb4db1c3f0be23d78837156a741.png

Astoria's brother confronts their sister about the Imperius Curse thing shortly after Astoria runs away from home.

image.png.7e7d79732d8fcb88ac3c61e6b4541ae8.png

Astoria grappling with some of the aftereffects of the war. (Still WIP in plot.)

oSwkpq.png

Astoria's brother teaches her to resist the Imperius Curse.

oSw9V8.png

Some of Johanna's mommy issues. (tl;dr? she hero-worships her father, who was not necessarily the best husband in the world.)

Edited by abhorsen.

AHH! AHH! AHH! Greengrasses!! :excited:

Stopping by with a few questions for you, Branwen, because I am super excited to see Astoria on your NaNo list!

• When did you first come up with the Greengrass family history? Have you always had it as part of your headcanon that Daphne and Astoria had an older brother?
  • You've written quite a few stories about Draco and Astoria and the repercussions of the war. Do you plan for Night Light to be a step towards writing more of Brendon and/or Daphne in the post-Hogwarts era, separate from what's going on with Astoria?
  • You have to ship Astoria with anyone but Draco. Who would you ship her with, and why?
  • Do you plan on writing about Astoria when she's younger / before the war?
  • Will there ever be a longer story featuring Draco/Astoria?
  • Like 1

Heyyy! 

Okay, I have to say I absolutely LOVE the banners! I haven't read your stories about Astoria, but I am intrigued by the banner and summary. I'd love to hear your take on Astoria and Draco. Does your fic deal with how they met and fell in love? How long are these stories you are working on? Have you planned it all out from start to finish?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, esmeraude said:

AHH! AHH! AHH! Greengrasses!! :excited:

Stopping by with a few questions for you, Branwen, because I am super excited to see Astoria on your NaNo list!

• When did you first come up with the Greengrass family history? Have you always had it as part of your headcanon that Daphne and Astoria had an older brother?
  • You've written quite a few stories about Draco and Astoria and the repercussions of the war. Do you plan for Night Light to be a step towards writing more of Brendon and/or Daphne in the post-Hogwarts era, separate from what's going on with Astoria?
  • You have to ship Astoria with anyone but Draco. Who would you ship her with, and why?
  • Do you plan on writing about Astoria when she's younger / before the war?
  • Will there ever be a longer story featuring Draco/Astoria?

:D:D:D Thank you!!!

The skeleton of my Greengrass family has been around since I started writing Curiosity Is Not a Sin (which was my first HP fic) in early 2011. I knew that I wanted Scorpius to be a pretty friendly, likable person with a decent family life, which meant that Draco needed to have mellowed out and Astoria needed to have been very far removed from the Death Eater thing. I decided to include an older brother very early on; Evelyn (Brendon's youngest kid) is mentioned a few times in CINAS, and Johanna's been included in my class lists + headcanoned as Teddy's closest friend from the start.

I'd definitely like to play with Brendon's character more. He's been an enormous, enormous influence on two of my favorite characters to write (Astoria and Johanna), and there's a lot about him that's really interesting to me - he's driven toward The Bigger Picture, which makes him awesome in a lot of ways... but it can also make him pretty problematic for the people around him if they don't have exactly the same priorities that he does. For example, he leaves his wife with their two small children at home alone to go fight in the Battle of Hogwarts, and he never even really apologizes for it, because he knows that it was the right thing to do - that causes a lot of real problems down the line, and he never really gets it because "why would anyone apologize if they're right?" He's awful at perspective taking and moral relativity in a lot of ways, especially for a Slytherin - he's got quite a lot of Gryffindor in there, too (in sortinghatchats terms, his "why" is all Gryffindor and his "how" is mostly Slytherin). He is, however, very good at approaching a problem from many different angles until it breaks - "where dwell the brave at heart" and "use any means to achieve their ends" is kind of a sorting hat mashup for who he is. For some people, that's really admirable. For others, it makes him very difficult to be close to. It's a lot of fun to play with.

In terms of shipping Astoria with anyone but Draco... Ooof. I think I'm going to say Harry, actually. Astoria really, really prioritizes people who Do The Right Thing and have The Correct Moral Compass, which is part of why her friendship/relationship with Draco is so fraught early on - like her brother (and partially because of her brother), Astoria doesn't really understand moral relativity, so she's wary of people who see the war as anything less than straightforward. (I'm not saying that that's unreasonable - just that it's how she feels.) She only starts to feel genuinely comfortable with Draco when it becomes clear that he has changed for (mostly) the right reasons and wouldn't repeat his mistakes again. Harry is kind of the shining example in the series of someone who Believes What He Believes And Screw You If You Don't, and she'd definitely be drawn to that.

I'm not sure that I'll ever write Astoria before the war. I might write something, but it'd probably be short if I did, both because I like writing post-war pretty damaged Astoria and because I don't love writing people much younger than 14 or 15 if I can help it. :P

Re: a longer fic... maybe. I need to finish some of my WIPs before I commit to a longer fic, though, so for awhile, it'll probably just be one-shots (albeit some long one-shots :P).

8 hours ago, FlamingQuilltips said:

Heyyy! 

Okay, I have to say I absolutely LOVE the banners! I haven't read your stories about Astoria, but I am intrigued by the banner and summary. I'd love to hear your take on Astoria and Draco. Does your fic deal with how they met and fell in love? How long are these stories you are working on? Have you planned it all out from start to finish?

Aww, thank you!

Some of the one-shots I have posted cover some of the Astoria/Draco moments you're talking about - how they met, their evolving friendship, and their first kiss. The fics I have planned are filling in some of the pieces in Astoria's life in general and continuing the thread of Astoria's relationship with Draco - they'll all be one-shots, but they might be relatively long one-shots. :P

Neither what's up already nor what will be going up is really a sweet, fluffy love story, though - their friendship/relationship is pretty dysfunctional early on. Astoria's not comfortable with Draco's past, so it's not uncommon for her to use "Death Eater" to characterize him both in her head and when they're talking, absent any acute conflict (e.g., "They’ll protect just any Death Eater who gives them information, won’t they?" when he asks if she wants to come by the safe house he's holed up in), and she strongly dislikes his family for their role in the war. (All of which is reasonable! They were on the side of the dude who was all in on torture, mass murder, and genocide.)

Draco also definitely enables some pretty unhealthy behavior on her part, particularly when it comes to substance abuse, because he doesn't really know how to draw appropriate boundaries. He doesn't really have a whole lot of friends post-war and he's barely on speaking terms with his father, so he's a bit starved for human contact. He's been passing her brother information, and her brother doesn't dislike him, so when he sees Astoria drinking along in the Three Broomsticks, he goes up to her in part because he knew she was living with her brother and hoped that at least some of the "Draco Malfoy isn't the literal worst" would extend to her. (It didn't. She tries to hex him and gets him thrown out because he pushes her wand away.) When they actually start to develop an uneasy friendship, he doesn't want to push her away, so he doesn't really call her on the Death Eater comments (which he thinks he sort of deserves anyway) or push back on some of her drinking.

Some of that changes a little as their relationship evolves - he tells her to cut it out with the Death Eater thing after the first time they kiss, for example, and she mostly does - but it's definitely got a lot of rough edges. I have a sense of the overall layout of that - I don't have a very specific plot planned out, though. :P

Ooof, so I'm writing Night Light because I write when I'm inspired and if it leaves me screwed for NaNo, oh well, and wow. Brendon Greengrass is simultaneously really fun and also makes my skin crawl slightly? Because he's very... intense?

... writing is fun

Day One: So I was intending to really put my focus on the Greengrasses. And I meant to. But then I wrote an essay about suicide and an OF one-shot about sand dunes instead. (Total word count: ~2000) SO. That happened. I mean, I'm pretty happy with both, but it's not really what I meant to do.

Day Two: I finally worked on some Greengrass stuff, but I kept bouncing between them? I've got a decent amount down between them all, but I'm not going to actually add them to my word count until I'm done with the specific story - otherwise, it'll be too hard to keep track of what I've counted and what I haven't.

Day Three: Okay. My sleep schedule is destroyed because I'm moving on Monday, so I'm just kind of going between writing and packing and napping when I get tired, but going into today, my progress is:

image.png.6d324950ef03ad3f36c5642b143caba8.png

Summary: Astoria's brother confronts their sister about the Imperius Curse thing shortly after Astoria runs away from home.

Progress: 528 words total; I had about 200 words of this going into NaNo, but I've gone back and changed/deleted enough that I'm just going to count the 528.

Excerpt:

I deal with dark magic and dark creatures for a living - I’ve been sticking my nose where it might get cursed off since I was a fourth year. It’s who I am. Daphne let the Imperius Curse she’d cast on our sister slip because she’d known I’d see it for what it was.

And she’d been too slow.

image.png.7fe201063ebd42b353370495e8bb18e7.png

Summary: Astoria grappling with some of the aftereffects of the war.

Progress: 226 words

Excerpt:

Eventually, I did end up feeling like I belonged.

It was a nice feeling.

It was sometimes inconvenient, but that wasn’t necessarily a bad thing - if I hadn’t been living under my brother’s roof, I almost certainly would have ended up doing more self-destructive things than drink a little more than I should and skip meals and avoid people outside of his family.

image.png.0e127d539f093276abba77116afb73b4.png

Summary: Astoria's brother teaches her to resist the Imperius Curse.

Progress: 440 words total.

Excerpt (under spoiler tags for violent/disturbing imagery - this story is going to be rated M with five advisories on the archive with trigger warnings, because it's a little dark):

Spoiler

During the war, there were a lot of people on the wrong side who loved the Cruciatus Curse. They liked the way that their cruelty masqueraded as strength of will when their chosen victim screamed, and they liked the way that it didn’t leave marks.

But the Carrows had always favored discipline that drew blood.

[Some random Brendon & Draco story]

Progress: 215 words

Dialogue excerpt:

“Aren’t you going to tell me to… I don’t know, not hurt your sister or something?”

“Why would I do that?”

“Because I’m dating your sister?”

“I know what kind of man you are. I don’t need to threaten you.”

So with my move completed, I'm back to focusing on NaNo. :D

And despite not being done with the Greengrass fics I'd been planning, I've started a couple more, including one that starts like this:

I don’t really know how I got to the point where I was extremely tipsy and alone in my brother’s basement with a Death Eater, but there it is.

Well, that’s not quite true. He was here because he was one of my only friends, and because we’d recently started kissing each other sometimes, and besides, he’d told me in no uncertain terms that if we were going to be kissing each other, he wanted me to stop calling him a Death Eater.

Which was fair enough, really.

Astoria is legit one of my favorite characters to write.

• Like 1

Day Fourteen: Totally can officially be characterized as #killingit. I was super, super behind, but I've been productive over the last few days and finished multiple stories, including one for @Rumpelstiltskin's challenge and one for @MegGonagall's challenge. I am no long super behind!

image.png.6d324950ef03ad3f36c5642b143caba8.png

Summary: Astoria's brother confronts their sister about the Imperius Curse thing shortly after Astoria runs away from home.

Progress: 1487 words total - complete

Excerpt:

I deal with dark magic and dark creatures for a living - I’ve been sticking my nose where it might get cursed off since I was a fourth year. It’s who I am. Daphne let the Imperius Curse she’d cast on our sister slip because she’d known I’d see it for what it was.

And she’d been too slow.

image.png.7fe201063ebd42b353370495e8bb18e7.png

Summary: Astoria grappling with some of the aftereffects of the war.

Progress: 226 words

Excerpt:

Eventually, I did end up feeling like I belonged.

It was a nice feeling.

It was sometimes inconvenient, but that wasn’t necessarily a bad thing - if I hadn’t been living under my brother’s roof, I almost certainly would have ended up doing more self-destructive things than drink a little more than I should and skip meals and avoid people outside of his family.

image.png.0e127d539f093276abba77116afb73b4.png

Summary: Astoria's brother teaches her to resist the Imperius Curse.

Progress: 2981 words total - complete

Excerpt (under spoiler tags for violent/disturbing imagery - this story is going to be rated M with five advisories on the archive with trigger warnings, because it's a little dark):

Spoiler

During the war, there were a lot of people on the wrong side who loved the Cruciatus Curse. They liked the way that their cruelty masqueraded as strength of will when their chosen victim screamed, and they liked the way that it didn’t leave marks.

But the Carrows had always favored discipline that drew blood.

The Way You Say My Name

Summary: I don’t really know how I got to the point where I was sobbing and alone in my brother’s basement with a Death Eater, but there it is.

Progress: 4546 words total - complete

Excerpt:

He shoved himself off the wall, closed the distance between us in two steps, and leaned down to kiss me. He was very good at it, which didn't help my butterflies.

When we parted, he glanced toward the couch. "Er - shall we?"

"It's red," I pointed out as I followed him across the room. "You'll be kissing a blood traitor half-Gryffindor on a red couch. That's below rock bottom."

He shrugged and collapsed onto it. "Kissing a pretty girl is never rock bottom, and you did end up in Ravenclaw in the end." He reached out and grabbed my hand, and I let him pull me onto the couch. "I missed you," he said into my neck as he wrapped his arm around me.

He smelled good, and his shirt was unexpectedly soft. "Yeah. I missed you, too."

He snorted and pulled away. "With that tone, I believe it." I elbowed him. He started playing with my hair.

Whatever my relationship with Draco Malfoy was, it was definitely a little dysfunctional.

[Some random Brendon & Draco story]

Progress: 955 words

Dialogue excerpt:

“Aren’t you going to tell me to… I don’t know, not hurt your sister or something?”

“Why would I do that?”

“Because I’m dating your sister?”

“I know what kind of man you are. I don’t need to threaten you.”

[Some random Brendon & Daphne story]

Progress: 485 words

Excerpt:

“Is it true?” I asked him when the lift doors closed and we were alone.

His expression was stony. Today was apparently a very vaguely cordial day. “You’ll need to be more specific.”

“About Astoria and Draco Malfoy.”

To my surprise, that got a genuine smile out of him. There was a small knot in me that loosened, from the part of me that had always wanted my stupid blood traitor brother’s approval. “Yeah,” he said. “It’s true.”

I still have a little catching up to do, but I've made some solid headway - now I'm at 17,938 words total! :D

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

UA-79258518-1