Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Staff/prefect applications are open!
  • Ask about our Review Transfer Tool.
  • Claim your badges!
  • Check out the new emoji options.
RoxiMalfoy

RoxiMalfoy

RoxiMalfoy

I figured it was probably about time I started one of these things... I am seriously, like, the slowest writer ever, lol!! :P

Currently, (and for like the past 8 years, haha!), I have been working on a Draco/OC Novel, Love, Not War [M]. Yes, I know. Again, I am slow, haha!! :whistling:

This story is my baby though, and even though I do not always have the time to write as much as I used to anymore, I AM GOING to complete it one of these days, haha!! I already have two different endings in mind! ;)

The LNW Universe also has several One-Shots, because I absolutely love writing from the POV of my OC's and expanding on missing moments from the main Novel whenever I can. ^_^ You can read everything else on my AP here: +HPFT [T-M].

I don't usually write outside if the LNW-verse right now, but this is mainly because I have vowed not to work an any new projects at all until my current one is finished, lol! If/when I do write other things though, like for the occasional challenge, my stuff usually tends to be more on the dark/angsty side. I am not much for fluff/romance writing. It's just not really my area of writing expertise. My favorite character to write from the HP fandom (as if it's not already obvious) is Draco Malfoy!!   :slytherin:

Over the years, the only other fandom I've ever really written anything for was, other than HP, was The Lord of the Rings. And that story was penciled into a composition notebook back when I was in High School, so no digital copy of it exists to put online, unfortunately. I still have the notebook, and most of it is still legible... But finding the time to actually sit down and type it all up amongst other things, is practically impossible!! :ninjavanish:

But yeah... I LOVE talking about my writing!! If you have any questions about Love, Not War I would be thrilled to answer them for you - without giving away any spoilers, of course!! Or, if you wanna know anything else about my writing in general, ask away!! I cannot wait to chat with you guys!!! :twothumbsup:

~Deana :wub:

Edited by RoxiMalfoy

Rumpelstiltskin

Hey Deana!!

1. What's your favorite HP pairing and why?
  2. Do you have a favorite LotR character?  What about a pairing?
  3. I haven't read Love, Not War -- do you have any advice for someone who hasn't read it before they do?
  4. Why is Draco your favorite character?
  5. Who is your favorite OC, and why?
  6. Do you have any writing 'rituals' and what are they? (Examples: stretching, time of day, cleaning your desk, playing with a slinky, etc.)
  7. How did you become inspired to write The Ultimate Betrayal (which was awesome, by the way)?
  8. In the Ultimate Betrayal, you took the pre-established characteristics of Percy Weasley and were able to use and manipulate them to persuade the character to follow along with the AU plot -- what sort of planning went into this?  Did you have to do a lot of research on Percy before beginning? 
  9. If you could pick a second favorite character of the HP-verse, who would it be and why?
  10. How do you plan for your stories?  Do you outline? Research? Write freestyle?

That's all I have for now!  I look forward to reading the next part of The Ultimate Betrayal

Edited by TidalDragon
User request.

RoxiMalfoy

NOVEL NEST: NaNoWriMo 2017  [#Rebel]  

~ Love, Not War [M] ~
 Novel WIP 2nd Wizarding War AU Draco/OC 

LoveNotWar_HPFTbanner.png.25e97130341e8532731ea0cc781a520f.png

Banner made by myself; RoxiMalfoy

Dear Lord, what have I gotten myself into?!? I have not done NaNo since 2014, so I'm a bit rusty, lol!! My WIP has been lonely here lately though, as I have not been able to write/update nearly as often as I'd like. (Sorry, Tasha!!) :couch:  So that is why I have decided to join the Rebels this NaNo season, and make it my goal to get at least two - if not three - chapters written next month!! So hopefully by the end of this thing, we'll have some updates coming your way, haha!! :thumbsup:  I am currently starting on Chapter 20, so the goal is to get through to Chapter 22 by the end of November! *fingerscrossed* :wandinair:

Story Summary: When tragedy strikes, Lucius Malfoy is forced to make a difficult decision. He then hands his only son over to the Order of the Phoenix, in the hopes that they will protect him from Lord Voldemort. Now, with nowhere else to go, Draco Malfoy is stuck living at the Burrow with the Weasley’s. But when another new witch from America moves in too, things start to get... interesting.

Genres: AU, Angst, Horror/Dark, Drama

Characters: Draco Malfoy, Lucius Malfoy, Roxi Zarooni [OC], Saleena Blackwell [OC], Molly & Arthur Weasley, Percy Weasley, Lord Voldemort, Severus Snape, Minerva McGonagall, Rufus Scrimgeour, Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, (and several other various characters appear all throughout the story as well..)

Synopsis: The main focus of LNW is actually not meant to be on the Draco/OC relationship, but rather on that of the father-son relationship between Draco & Lucius. I love taking these typical bad guys and changing people's entire perspective on them; making them feel a different way about these characters that we have already come to perceive a certain way from the books. It has always been my believe that Draco was merely a product of his bad upbringing, and this story expands on that... In the beginning, due to some tragic circumstances in which you will just have to read to discover; a desperate Lucius takes a near dead Draco to the Order of the Phoenix in the hopes that they will protect him from Voldemort. So when Draco recovers, he wakes up in the Burrow with no recollection of how he ended up with the Weasley's. And he quite literally has nowhere else to go, or anyone else to turn to, so he is forced to humble himself and accept their help; whether he likes it or not. 

The story is an AU, as I originally did come up with the idea in between books six & seven; if that tells you anything about how old this project is, haha!! :P However, after Deathly Hallows was released, I did weave some key details from book seven into the story as well. But for the most part it focuses on Draco, and what life at the Burrow was like for the rest of the Order Members while the Trio was out hunting for the Horcruxes during the war. The story has a lot of underlining themes; like forgiveness and redemption, and it deals with some pretty heavy topics too; like thoughts of death and depression, as Draco and Lucius both struggle through some pretty dark times throughout their individual journeys. But I like to take every moment; be it high or low, and use it for character growth. Especially with these two Malfoys, lo! ;)

Pre-NaNo Thoughts: I'm really excited because, at some point within these next three chapters that I'll be writing next month, I’m finally going to reach the part in the story where Draco & Lucius have their first big confrontation. Most of the story has been leading up to this moment between these two characters, so it should be a pretty climactic NaNo; and I am really hoping to come out of it with some pretty exciting updates!! This Novel is my baby, lol! I have put so much into it over the years, and I am making it MY GOAL to complete this thing ASAP! It has been put on the back-burner recently, as RL and my staff duties have taken precedence over my writing. So I am looking forward to November, to actually have a genuine excuse to return to this story, and pay attention to my characters again... If you want to know more, or are interested in reading what I have so far, feel free to check it out sometime!! I love chatting about this Novel with my readers; or anyone and everyone who will listen to my crazy ideas, lol!! I like hearing people's theories and complaints about a certain baddie we all love to hate in this story, lol! ^_^

Edited by RoxiMalfoy

FlamingQuilltips

Hello!!!

It's great you decided to do Nano this year! Your goal is super realistic (unlike mine) and I'm sure you're going to get it done! I'm intrigued by the fact that it deals with a Draco-Lucius relationship and has him interacting with the Weasleys. I'm personally daunted by the idea of writing any character from the Hogwarts Era especially since we know them too well. I'd love to know what your take is regarding Narcissa's role in Draco's upbringing? How do you perceive Narcissa Malfoy as a character?

esmeraude

Hello, Deana! I'm here with some questions for you!

• Has the FBAWTFT movie/book affected the backstory you created for your American characters? If so, how have you dealt with this new information?
  • Has it been hard staying canon with new information that's been released since the story started (DH/Pottermore/interviews/FB/etc), especially as you chose to weave some of DH's plot points into the novel?
  • What is your take on the Lucius/Narcissa relationship? Do you think they married out of duty, or for love?
  • What do you feel has been the hardest thing about writing this novel?
  • What made you decide to participate in NaNoWriMo again after not participating since 2014?
Edited by esmeraude
autocorrect

victoria_anne

Woohoo! :cheering: You know how much I love this story (even though I'm terribly slow at reading it... I'm sorry :couch:) and I'm so happy you'll be working on it this month! Good luck, I'll be cheering you on! :hug::wub:

RoxiMalfoy
On 9/9/2017 at 10:56 PM, Rumpelstiltskin said:

Hey Deana!!

3. I haven't read Love, Not War -- do you have any advice for someone who hasn't read it before they do?
  6. Do you have any writing 'rituals' and what are they? (Examples: stretching, time of day, cleaning your desk, playing with a slinky, etc.)
  7. How did you become inspired to write The Ultimate Betrayal (which was awesome, by the way)?
  8. In the Ultimate Betrayal, you took the pre-established characteristics of Percy Weasley and were able to use and manipulate them to persuade the character to follow along with the AU plot -- what sort of planning went into this?  Did you have to do a lot of research on Percy before beginning? 
  9. If you could pick a second favorite character of the HP-verse, who would it be and why?
  10. How do you plan for your stories?  Do you outline? Research? Write freestyle?

That's all I have for now!  I look forward to reading the next part of The Ultimate Betrayal

EEEK @Rumpelstiltskin!!! :yay:  I am here at long last to answer all of your amazing questions!!! :discuss: Let us discuss them one-by-one, shall we?? 

- My favorite cannon ship, hands down, is Molly/Arthur Weasley. I LOVE the timeless relationship that Molly & Arthur have; how they can overcome anything together, and how they have built this beautiful family, and they just have this genuine love for one another. Their love quite literally lasts forever, like, NOTHING can tear them apart! Even though their family is far from perfect; and even in the midst of a war and when facing financial ruin, they still find a way to make it work. They know that love is THE MOST important thing, and that as long as they all have each other, that's all that really matters... At the end of the day, I hope to have a love like Molly & Arthur one day. :wub: 

Umm, Frodo Baggins is my fav, obs, lol!! :P No, seriously, he really is. But Galadriel is a VERY CLOSE second favorite!! As far as pairings go, I wouldn't really say that I had a favorite in LotR, as romance was not really the focus of that story. But I was particularity happy when Sam & Rosie ended up getting married in the end though!! That made my heart SO happy!!! :hearteyes: 

I would recommend checking out the one-shot Doing the Right Thing first, if you haven't started the Novel yet, as it takes place a few months before the main story begins. It will also help to fill in some of the blanks when you get to chapter 6 of the main Novel as well. ;) I actually have a LNW Series Page[M] that lists everything on my AP in the order of which it is all meant to be read!! (Because, fun fact: ALL of the one-shots on my AP are currently connected!)0 

Actually, Luna Lovegood is my MOST Favorite character from HP, lol!! :wandinair:  But Draco Malfoy is absolutely me second-favorite; and clearly my fav person to write, lol! I think this is because I just feel like his character is highly misunderstood in a lot of ways. Like, at first he is this mean bully, but then he gets a taste of what it's like to be pushed around and his survival instincts kick in. He learns the hard way what it's like to be pushed around, and I feel as if his whole perspective would have changed after the war. He is also a product of his upbringing though, which I think is so important. Our kids will reflect what we teach them. If there is a problem in the home, then it WILL reflect in your children!! Which further leads me to believe that Lucius and Narcissa were far from perfect parents. Sure, they loved the crap out of their son, there's no doubt about that! But spoiling him the way that they did, and forcing their beliefs and customs on him at such a young and impressionable age did NOT do him any favors!!

Plus, I love all the parallels that have been drawn between Harry & Draco; about how Harry was the "Chosen One" and Draco was the "One who had No Choice". They are basically two sides of the same coin, when you think about it; one representing the light, the other one shrouded in darkness... I'm sorry, I'm rambling now, lol!! You see what you started!?!? xD But the point of all of this; getting back to your question, is to say that Draco Malfoy is one of my favorites because his character is SO DEEP!!! He has so many layers to him, and I love exploring his character because there is just so much there to be discovered! We already pretty much know everything about Harry, but Draco's side of the story is barley told at all. So yeah... I've really enjoyed telling things from Draco's perspective over the past few years. Needless to say, he has really grown on me, haha!! ^_^  

OMG, Rumpel, WHY did you have to make these questions SOOO HARD??!  :headwall:  You can't ask me that!! It's like asking a mother to chose a favorite child, lol!! It's just NOT a thing that you do. It isn't right!!! :thumbsdown: I'm gonna be THAT person here, and say that I love Roxi Zarooni & Saleena Blackwell BOTH equally, lol!!! :roflol:

However, I WILL admit... writing the background story for Saleena was a LOT of fun!! I have so many notes on her!! Everything from the Gypsy History, to her powers - both old and yet to be discovered, to her being childhood friends with Sirius; including them writing letters to each other when he was at Hogwarts & she was at Beauxbatons. There's just SO MANY things I have on her, Saleena could honestly have her own Novel, lol!! Don't get me wrong, Roxi has a backstory too. It's just not nearly as extensive as Saleena's is. ;) 

No, not really. I'm so busy most of the time anymore, I'm lucky to find tie to write! Whenever I do, it's usually just sneaking in a paragraph or two - sometimes even a few pages, depending on the night - before bed. The only consistent thing, I suppose, is that I pretty much always write at night. I seem to do my best thinking at night time, after everyone else has gone ot bed and the house is quiet.

That one was actually written for a challenge a long time ago, lol! It was an "AU Challenge" in which we had to change something major from Cannon. Obviously I chose to change the direction in which a certain Weasley child strayed. :darkmark: I don't want to give too much away before you read the main Novel, but obviously you pretty much know what happens with said-Weasley by now, so I should have a little bit of freedom here. But just in case...

Spoiler Alert:

Spoiler

As I'm sure you know by now, I originally came up with the idea for  LNW in between books 6 and 7. So at that time, I did NOT know how things with Percy were going to turn out at the end of DH. Even if I had known though, it has always been my belief that there is at least one "bad-egg" in every family. If anything, the events of book 5 had already shown us Percy's true colors, so I drew a lot of my inspiration for this story from that as well. Molly & Arthur had SEVEN kids, after all, and it didn't feel realistic that ALL of them would be perfect little angels. I wanted to do something to shake their family up, and so: Death Eater Percy was born. And let me tell you; writing him with this darker side has been somewhat pleasing, lol! :whistling: Percy is that character who I just love to make people hate! OMG, Rumpel, I cannot WAIT for you to see him in LNW now that you have read his origin story in the UB!!!

I am so glad that you liked it so much though, thank you!!! :hug:  I've never really gotten much feedback on this story before, so it was very nice of you to recognize that one first. I'm kind of sad that the big reveal is spoiled for you, but it's not like I made it very difficult to guess if you're paying attention to the details anyway, lol! ;) 

Again, as mentioned before, I drew a lot of inspiration from Percy's behavior in OotP. But yeah, I did research his character a bit prior to featuring him in a short-story of his own... I didn't have to do too much research though, because I had already been writing this character for quite some time. I do feel like I know this AU version of him rather well now, lol! We have quite the love-hate relationship, haha!! :D 

kind of answered this in question #4 already, lol! But I suppose now I should probly explain why Luna is my MOST Favorite!! I relate to Luna Lovegood on a personal level. When I was a girl, I was far from being the most popular in school; and I got made fun of quite a lot. I had imaginary friends, and I used to like the weirdest and most "uncool" crap. I used to daydream a lot, and yeah, I lived in my own world a bit because reality sucked most of the time... :/ I used to think that there was something wrong with me, and my self-esteem was not very high in my early teenage years. But then the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix book came out, and the world was introduced to Loony Lovegood. Luna was one of the first people to ever teach me that it is perfectly OKAY to be yourself; no matter what other people think! She helped me to see that normalcy was overrated, and that there was nothing wrong with the occasional daydream. She taught me how to make REAL friends; who love and accept you for who you are, rather than try to change you... To be honest, IDK if I would be the person I am today had it not been for Luna Lovegood.

And maybe that's weird to say about a fictional character. But when you're a freshman in High School, and you're depressed because you're home situation is... less than ideal, so you chose not to talk to people; and you only have that one true friend who you can really trust, because you'd rather spend your time reading than talking to people, because people suck... yeah. I'd say that Harry Potter and his friends were all VERY real to me back in High School. I grew up with these characters, and in a way these books saved me in ways I didn't even know at the time that I needed to be saved. Meeting Luna when I was a teenager, and realizing that there were other quirky people in the world like me was certainly a confidence booster. I just love everything about her so much!! She's so genuine, and thoughtful, and caring, and kind. :wub: 

Planning? What planning?!? :P Kidding, lol!! Of course there was a lot of planning that went into this thing, especially in the beginning. I used to outline quite a bit in the beginning stages of LNW... But that was three laptops ago, and most of my original notes and such were lost when laptop #2 was stolen a few years back. :( If NaNoWriMo this year has taught me anything though, it's that most of the things I plan for wind up getting changed or altered in some way/shape/form anyhow, so I usually try not to plan things out in too much detail. I like to allow myself some creative freedom to add or change things as I go... For example, at the beginning of NaNo, I started out on a chapter where the outline just said "character gets stabbed, passes out, then wakes up ___ days later in then hospital." But then it developed into this whole situation, as I was writing it out, to where the Healer discovered that the knife used in the stabbing was cursed; which was NOT a part of my original draft at all!! This in turn lead to me researching all kinds of new things about curses, internal bleeding, and how to do Wizarding CPR, lol! (Which YOU were a part of THAT particular conversation, haha!) ;) 

My point is: it doesn't always turn out the way that I plan AT ALL!! That's why, as of right now, I have two possible endings recorded for Love, Not War. I've gone back and froth on the two several times over the years, but I probably won't know which ending is the right one until I'm actually in the moment writing it, if that makes sense? So I guess you could say that I do attempt to plan, outline, and research... but, at the end of the day, I do tend to venture more into the Freestyle category, lol!! xD Usually it depends on my current mood though, and how much time I have to write in any given one sitting, I think. :thumbsup:

:bouncing:   YAY!!!! I have FINALLY answered ALL of your burning questions, Rumpel, haha!!! :excited: Thank you SO MUCH for stopping by and asking such amazing questions!! I'm so sorry it took me so long to get back to you, my dear. But you, my friend, are a star, and I had so much fun with this though!! Feel free to stop back by any time!!   :greenstars:   :bighug:  :loveshower:

Edited by RoxiMalfoy