News Ticker

Forum Issues/Bugs

toomanycurls

Hi! Thanks for all the work you've been doing to iron out all the bugs on the site so far!

I just wanted to check in again about why there are never any notifications about comment replies on profile walls, as well as the fact that even after un-checking the box in Settings about getting an email copy of all PM's, I still get emails as well as in my PM box. Is anyone still working on this or was it not fix-able?

Thanks!

Thanks for the reminders.

The wall notifications do indeed work inconsistently.  The mod author seems not interested in updating the mod at this time, so unfortunately there isn't much we can do about that.  :(

For the messages, it appears that when you change your e-mail notification preferences, it is not saving.  It appears to be a conflict with a mod, most likely.  I'll try to figure out which one.

Hey!

When trying to access the HPFF link on my user icon (as in the one that comes up when I post) takes you to the Recently Added page on HPFF. Kaitlin's (TreacleTart) does it too, and I'm sure I found someone else the other day as well, but it's not everyone. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

:)

You need to include only your author ID number (those numbers at the end of the URL of your author page), not the entire URL, the same way it worked on HPFF.  I edited yours for you and it works fine now.  You can tell if you've put the wrong thing by checking the URL when you click the link.  It'll have a "doubled up" URL, basically.

I'm not sure if we can make that more user-friendly yet or not.  It was definitely a point of confusion for people on HPFF as well.

• 1 month later...

Hi! I don't think this is a bug per se, but... something that I would love for it to work? I've unsuccessfully used the search function a few times to look for specific threads - like just now I searched for the "Chapter Updates" thread because I couldn't remember where it's located, only the search function can't seem to find it. I don't know why it wouldn't - that's word for word what the topic is called. In fact I don't think I've ever had it actually find the exact topic I was looking for at the time. I think it maybe only searches for words within threads rather than in titles of threads. Basically... is there any way to improve the search function to find topic titles? Thanks <3

Hi! I don't think this is a bug per se, but... something that I would love for it to work? I've unsuccessfully used the search function a few times to look for specific threads - like just now I searched for the "Chapter Updates" thread because I couldn't remember where it's located, only the search function can't seem to find it. I don't know why it wouldn't - that's word for word what the topic is called. In fact I don't think I've ever had it actually find the exact topic I was looking for at the time. I think it maybe only searches for words within threads rather than in titles of threads. Basically... is there any way to improve the search function to find topic titles? Thanks <3

Were you inside a specific sub-forum when you were searching, or the home page? If you're in a specific sub-forum, it will only search in that forum, but if you're on the home page it should search everything. :)

Also, we did a little playing around, and if you put the phrase in quotation marks, it should come up.  Otherwise, it is buried farther down (about the 10th result).

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem, but whenever I try to use the "Quote" button on the top right of someone else's post, I just get a little header that pops up that just says "Loading...", but it never loads. Most of the time I just copy and paste from the previous post, but sometimes it's a pain to reinsert all of the coding again, especially if it's a long one. I'm I the only one experiencing this, or is there a fix for it?

Thanks!! :D

I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem, but whenever I try to use the "Quote" button on the top right of someone else's post, I just get a little header that pops up that just says "Loading...", but it never loads. Most of the time I just copy and paste from the previous post, but sometimes it's a pain to reinsert all of the coding again, especially if it's a long one. I'm I the only one experiencing this, or is there a fix for it?

Which theme are you using? I use the SMF Default and it works just fine for me.

Yes, this occurs on mobile devices especially when using Chrome.  Try another browser, but it still may not work if you're on mobile, unfortunately.

I haven't even tried it on my phone, actually. I've tried both Safari and Chrome on my laptop and all of the different skins, but nothing seems to be working. I just get stuck with the Loading thing. I usually give it a minute or two, but I've waited as long as ten before and still nothing. :(

What type of device (computer) are you using? I personally have not experienced it while using a laptop, but it happens on my tablet. I can't recall anyone else reporting this issue except when on mobile devices—but that doesn't mean it isn't happening. There is something about Chrome that can cause the issue as well, according to what I read when I was first attempting to see if I could find a way to fix the problem.

Have you tried Firefox?

EDIT: Quote works fine for me even on my mobile ehen using Firefox (but not with Chrome, which is what I typically use on my tablet though I prefer Firefox on regular computers). So please try a browser other than Chrome and Safari and see if that helps.

I'm on a Mac, and I haven't tried Firefox - I don't have it downloaded.

EDIT: Alright, I'll give Firefox a try and see what happens.

I'm on a Mac, and I haven't tried Firefox - I don't have it downloaded.

EDIT: Alright, I'll give Firefox a try and see what happens.

Well, looks like it works! I guess it's just a browser thing then. I wonder what it is about chrome/safari that prevents it from working...

Oh well, it's good to know that it's not just me at least. Thank you!

(And sorry for the double post!)

I'm a mac user, and it's never worked on Safari for me, either, though it does work on Firefox. So yeah, it's not just you. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The quote thing just started acting up for me too.

I'm on a Mac and use Chrome as well. I do have Firefox as a backup browser but... meeehhh.

I've been having that problem too! To go around it, click on Quick Reply, to minimize it, and then try to Quote again!

I've been having that problem too! To go around it, click on Quick Reply, to minimize it, and then try to Quote again!

WHOA. IT WORKS.  :o

Thanks Lo!

• 1 month later...

I was so confused about having to add the date to the description of my challenge because in the theme I use (Exodus), the description doesn't appear to even show up. Obviously it was my error and I was happy to request the change, but I just wanted to let staffers know about that in case it hasn't come up before. =)

I was so confused about having to add the date to the description of my challenge because in the theme I use (Exodus), the description doesn't appear to even show up. Obviously it was my error and I was happy to request the change, but I just wanted to let staffers know about that in case it hasn't come up before. =)

It has come up before (since before the site opened officially, actually), but then we all pretty much forgot about it.  Because the topic description modification works inconsistently with themes, I think it's best to disable it.  Once our moderators let me know they've gotten everything in the challenge section altered and revised the rule, I'll remove the topic description modification and we'll announce the specifics of the change to the challenge section. :)

• 1 month later...

I've just recently started having this issue where I try to open up a PM and no matter which one I click on, it only opens the most recent PM. I can't open any of the others unless I switch forum themes. Is there a fix for this? (the issue is in SMF Default)

Thanks!

I've just recently started having this issue where I try to open up a PM and no matter which one I click on, it only opens the most recent PM. I can't open any of the others unless I switch forum themes. Is there a fix for this? (the issue is in SMF Default)

Thanks!

Kristin, for clarification are you referring to it only opening the most recent PM in that conversation or the most recent PM period? Also, how are you accessing your PMs? Through a notification or directly through your inbox?

Are you talking about SMF Default or forum default (1st or 2nd in the drop down changer list)?

Either way, you've reminded me the forum default is a crappy theme with a lot of problems and that we should remove it.

We also are using a modification for PMs, and it also has several bugs that the creator seems uninterested in fixing. We've talked about it and decided to keep it because otherwise you can't see your own outgoing messages/replies or view a whole conversation in one spot.

My point in saying all that is that I'm not surprised you're encountering a bug.

Has anyone else been experiencing this problem?

Kristin' date=' for clarification are you referring to it only opening the most recent PM in that conversation or the most recent PM period? Also, how are you accessing your PMs? Through a notification or directly through your inbox?[/quote']

It opens up the most recent PM overall. So sometimes it's a different conversation entirely and I'm not able to open up any conversations with anyone except the most recent person who sent me a PM. And I'm accessing it through my inbox.

Alo, it was the SMF Default (2nd in the drop down list)

Kristin' date=' for clarification are you referring to it only opening the most recent PM in that conversation or the most recent PM period? Also, how are you accessing your PMs? Through a notification or directly through your inbox?[/quote']

It opens up the most recent PM overall. So sometimes it's a different conversation entirely and I'm not able to open up any conversations with anyone except the most recent person who sent me a PM. And I'm accessing it through my inbox.

Alo, it was the SMF Default (2nd in the drop down list)

Thanks for confirming.  I just tried with that skin and did not get the error.

However, it turns out to be a known issue with the modification we're using.  I'm not sure why it's not affecting everyone.  For now, please continue to switch the theme when you need to read messages.  We'll revisit whether to keep using the modification.

Thanks for looking into it!

Btw, just discovered that the same issue also happens in the Dilber Multicolor theme as well. (but Astonished seems to work fine.)

• 6 months later...

I'm not sure if this is an actual bug or not -- it might just be me -- but I'm having trouble changing the colour I want my text to be in my signature. At the moment I'm highlighting the text, then clicking the colour option, but when I do it it un-highlights the text so the colour selection doesn't work, on both my signature and normal posts. I've also tried using the code option to change colour: 

[color=#FF0000]selected text[/color]

which works fine for me on other forums using IP Board, and on normal posts like now but not in my signature box. I'm on an iPad, using Safari, if that's relevant, but unfortunately I'm not able to download other browsers to test if it works using a different browser. Obviously this is a minor issue, and I can live without a colourful sig if it's not fixable, but I just wanted to give the staffers a heads-up in case this is an issue for other people too. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having trouble uploading a signature image. I've tried several different 500x200 options, including one already working for another member. I also tried a 100x100 with the same issue. I've tried including the image different ways, through writing out an img code, uploading, and pasting

Error messages are at the top and bottom of screencap here

Edited by Dojh167
It works now. I hope somebody did something to help and I wasn't just being a ditz somehow