HPFanficTalk
Sign in to follow this  
Aphoride

Frosty the Snow-Review

Come here to squee about the wonderful reviews other members have left you during our snowball fights - the ones which stick in your mind, which make you smile even after you've closed the browser, the ones you'll remember two days later because they were. just. that. lovely. 

Those ones. 

Post below ;)

@dreamgazer220 left me a super sweet review on Shenanigans, Capers, and Hi-JInks and omgggg! :wub:

Somehow I've managed to fall behind on this story, but that's okay because then I've got a backlog of chapters to read!

I think I've mentioned this before, but I really do love the characters that you've created here.  They do sound like teenagers, and that's so hard to pull off in fics sometimes, but you do a great job -- from Juliet's uncertainy about Lexy's friendship with Fred to her later getting caught in her dorm. And I loved that Victoire was the one who caught them, and her reaction was hilarious.  The dialogue in this also comes off really naturally too; it's just so easy to picture everything in my head as I read along, and I love how you do that with very little description.

Oooh, she's going to meet Teddy in Hogsmeade, and I just have a feeling that Fred is somehow going to be occupied, and I'm excited for them to be able to spend some time alone together.  Teddy's letter also made me laugh.  I loved this line because it was clearly such a casual thing, but it was also sincere and just perfect for their relationship:  Please don’t get killed by a banshee (or anything else) before that.

I do hope the Hogsmeade visit goes well - and Branwen, your writing is really such a joy to read. Everything just comes to life and then I just get sad when the chapter ends; so I guess it's a good thing there's a few more chapters for me to read :P

(Also, I think it's really interesting how the Room of Requirement has just become sort of this vague thing; it makes senes that the parents never really told their kids about it, so it's cool to read from their POV as they're exploring Hogwarts and learning in a completely different way than Harry did.)

Excellent job, as always, and I'm looking forward to see how this plays out ♥

@Rumpelstiltskin left me a review that made me feel very special. That first line made me laugh and feel like I was an important person in her life, to help motivate her to push herself so hard :lubu: 

HEY SAM! I'VE HAD LOTS OF COFFEE! <3

This is ridiculously adorably squee-tastic! Victoire trying to control Freddie's wonderful kiddo adventuring as a rocket while trying to look composed in front of any potential 'people from the office' during her internship is fantastic. Furthermore, having to convince Fred to go up in the elevator using his innocent rocket logic is hysterical. But, little kids DO like to have some sort of reason that parallels their imagination so she did a great job with that. I also love Fred's continuous pushing about rockets and what they can and can't do while Victoire struggles to keep up her rocket explanations ("Rocket's parents didn't budget for extra tickets :p"). And then the ending is perfect, all the hype, all the way up to the viewing deck, and Fred doesn't want anything to do with it. But, Santa...Santa has a rocket! 

So funny, so cute, so perfect!

-Rumpels

• Like 1

I just saw this thread! And wanted to point out that @Dojh167 is such an incredible reviewer. She left me so many (8!!!) wonderful reviews on Icarus, and checking back every now and then to discover that she'd left another one just made that day really wonderful.  Thank you Sam :wub:

Also, today @Felpata_Lupin left an absolutely gorgeous review on From that was warm and fuzzy and made me feel loved :wub: 

• Like 2

Everyone is the best, like, hands down. I've gotten so many incredibly sweet, wonderful reviews in the past few days, and I appreciate all of you so, so much.

I do want to give a shout out to two people in particular, though:

@Dojh167 has left me so many wonderful reviews on my poetry today and yesterday. I'm still, like, anxious enough about poetry that whenever I get the notification that I have a review on my poetry, I freak out a little, and Sam has just been wonderful. :wub:

@manno-malfoy left me a lot of reviews on my massive HP series yesterday and today, and omg. The reviews were sweet and supportive, but they also really made step back and think about my writing on a meta-level that was really interesting - and has helped jump start a few plunnies! There's nothing more that I could ask for in a reviewer. :hug:

@MuggleMaybe left this amazing review on From - this is really everything I was trying to say with this story, and she put so much thought into this that she picked up on things about my writing that I hadn't even noticed.  Thank you Renee:wub:

At Sam and Bianca's recommendation, I have stopped by to read this poem.

It's lovely. Very provoking and beautiful. It makes me want to expereince all the wonders of the world that you reference. Oceans, mountains, deserts, stars. You're giving me wanderlust.

However, I have to disagree witrh the assertion (not made by you) that this is not sad. Maybe it's because we've talked a little about this, but I feel there is a definite sense of melancholy alongide the wonder. When i write, I think a lot about honesty, and telling the truth about the human experience. Not just the shiny or dramatic parts, but all of it. You've done that here. On the one hand, there is so much joie de vivre in the idea of exploration and travel, and living in the wonder of those moments. That's a very real experience, and one that many people (me included) envy. But then, on the flip side, there's a pensive wondering about what life is made up of, and what living that full-of-wonder, present-in-this-moment life, which we often hold as an ideal, might also ask us to sacrifice.

Truly, this is a highly successful piece, and I hope you're very proud of it. It resonates deeply, it holds complexity. Usually I'm terrible at understanding/reviewing poetry, but there is something so tangible about your description here. 

I am also interested in the parallel between this poem and Icarus, and the question of what it means to feel ungrounded, which is evoked in the poem and is also something lily expereinces when she returns to the "normal" world. You write this topic brilliantly. 

Seriously, I absolutely love this. Gorgeous, and just a littlest bit heart breaking, too. Cathartic, i suppose.

with love,

Renee 

• Like 2

I was lucky to receive a few reviews during the last snowball fight, they were all so wonderful but I really liked it one from @poppunkpadfoot on Parisian Scars

Hey Abbi!

I'm so impressed by this story! I remember the conversation you mention in your author's note, and reading this story I find it so hard to believe that you ever felt that you couldn't write angst or weren't good at it. I think you did something here that is really crucial for an angst story, which is that you showed us all of Lavender's emotions and thoughts, even the ones that aren't pretty or kind or sensible. I think sometimes with angst people try to make suffering into something that's romantic and beautiful, and I guess while that can work sometimes, in my opinion it's very rare. In this fic you definitely show Lavender's suffering as something that is unhealthy and is destroying her, even as you describe it using beautiful language.

I really loved all the details and everything you included and I found your descriptions so vivid and beautiful. And Parvati was amazing, the way she didn't give up on Lavender and was willing to help her through a hard healing process. I'm so happy it ended on the hopeful note that it did.

Really fantastic work, Abs!

Love,

Kayla

Edited by Crimson Quill

Gigantic thank you to  @forever_dreaming and @Dojh167 who review-bombed Icarus this week, and it's meant so much to me to have all this support just after I spent so much effort finishing the novel. Not to mention the reviews have been so thoughtful and I've been left with a huge grin on my face for the past week. Love you both :wub: 

• Like 2

I have received so many wonderful reviews for When I Go Out With You that I don't know what to do with them all (okay I'm smiling a lot and apologizing a little). SO MANY thank yous to @Rumpelstiltskin @manno-malfoy @TreacleTart @Crimson Quill @Felpata_Lupin @just.a.willow.tree

:lubu::grouphug:

Super extra thank yous to Eva, for being the first person to review every chapter. It means so much to me!

Edited by Dojh167
  • Like 2

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

UA-79258518-1