HPFanficTalk
Unwritten Curse

Draco Malfoy/Hermione Granger

Yes, I had to start this thread. Why? Because Dramione is clearly my OTP.

This pairing is either loved or hated, and believe me, I get it. I understand that it's difficult to see these two together, with Hermione being so put-together and intelligent and good and Draco being such a jerk and a coward. But, my friends, nothing is black and white. Let's not underestimate our friends Hermione and Draco.

First, Hermione is a very open-hearted, kind individual. We see this with the way she vies for House Elf rights and the way she welcomes even the "outcasts" (like Neville) into her circle.

Hermione is also perceptive. She's an intelligent witch and a good judge of character with an understanding that the world (and people) are not black and white caricatures but rather real, living, complex beings that take a while to crack.

Now, Draco. Yes, he's a selfish jerk and yes he's a coward. But LOOK AT HIS PARENTS. They are pure blood elitists who work for the Dark Lord. You try growing up in that family and not being indoctrinated from the start. I firmly believe that, as Draco aged, he began to see the error of his ways. Much like Regulus. He couldn't kill Dumbledore, which shows he has a heart and a conscience, and he inevitably did NOT support the Dark Lord. He made his decisions out of fear, which is not ideal, sure, but it's understandable. And it shows he's ultimately capable of change.

I envision the Dramione flag flying after the final battle, when Voldemort is defeated and Draco has to take a good hard look at his life and his allegiances. I imagine Hermione being there for him, helping him to pick up the pieces.

And BAM. Love.

Thoughts?

I actually think this would have made a better canon pairing than Ron/Hermione.

Since the stories are from Harry's POV our knowledge of Draco's character is flawed by Harry's perception of him. I think he is immensely more complex than just being an arrogant jerk.

I like it since it's a forbidden romance with him being pure-blood and her a muggle-born. Theirs is a Romeo & Juliet romance with a happier ending.

A lot of people who know me, know that this is my OTP. Seriously, there is no other pairing to me quite like dramione. What exactly is it that appeals to me? To be honest even I don't know that exact reasons I love this pairing as much as I do. There is just something so intriguing to me about them and when I find a well written dramione I can't help but to squeal with excitement.

For me, there is nothing quite like the challenge of writing (or reading) a well written dramione that takes place during their school years. And by that I don't just mean a seventh year after the war is over kind of story. But one that works to fold in canon details during their years at hogwarts before the war. It is such a challenge but so rewarding to get those details in and make the dramione believable.

Over the years I have read many different types of dramiones and have enjoyed many different plot lines. I've watched as some plots get really big and then fade out for a while and seen fresh new ideas come into play. The thing I like about dramione is that there are many different angles you can take it and many different reasons to see a change in Draco. I'm one who doesn't necessarily believe in someone being completely evil with no hopes of changing and seeing the error of their ways and I really feel that for draco this is very much the case.

June 20th 10:50 Opinion:

PENDING Everyone loves it so much, and though it has never appealed to me, you guys are like family so I'm going to have to at least try. I'm going to try to read some stories for the sake of the Lily ships almost literally every Harry Potter ship out there except the incesty ones, the really grody ones, the teacher-student ones and the adult-minor ones campaign of my life. So, I'm trying it. I make no promises. We'll see in a month or so...

June 20th 11:00 Opinion: YES YES YES YES YES YES! WHY DIDN'T I TRY THIS BEFORE?!

Anyone who knows me at all (or just looks at my profile to the side here) knows how much I love Dramione. It's my OTP and was actually my first OTP when I found the world of fan fiction.

One of the main reasons I love it is because they are the top of their class -- number 1 and number 2. They are both extremely intelligent and therefore can challenge and stimulate each other mentally and emotionally. Both are exceptional with magic even if Draco seems to hide it - he did create that paper bird in third year, remember? And he was also able to repair the vanishing cabinet in sixth year too, all while under extreme stress and fear for his family's lives.

They have enough differences to keep things interesting, but also have SO MANY opportunities to learn new things about the other person because of their past and upbringing and just through how they view the world, especially at different points in their lives. Conversation would never be a problem for them, nor would fielding media attention and the likes for being a couple. Both can be very composed in times of publicity and private, but know when the other needs to deal with some emotions.

They are exact opposites in the literal sense of he's a Slytherin pureblood and she's a Gryffindor muggle-born, and opposites attract :P Their fights wouldn't be about petty, low-cost things; they'd fight about bigger things like children, career choices, where to live and how to live. They could overcome so many barriers and prejudices together so beautifully.

Here is a link to a tumblr post that lists some other reasons why this ship is so good: top post on page (M since tumblr I guess??)

There are just so many options with this couple and because we're never exposed to a view of Draco outside Harry's perception of him, we don't know how bad he actually is, nor how good Hermione is either. It's up to us to fill in that grey area with our own ideas and create something great.

I love Dramione too. A very well written one can change your whole perception of this ship. Now that I have a love for them, I can read the cliched fics with ease.

Now that I have a love for them, I can read the cliched fics with ease.

Yeahhhh, a good Dramione is totally a gateway fic. :P  I read a few good ones, and now even cliched ones are a complete guilty pleasure if they're written well.

Yeahhhh, a good Dramione is totally a gateway fic. :P  I read a few good ones, and now even cliched ones are a complete guilty pleasure if they're written well.

Guilty pleasure is very correct.

I've read so many over the years that there are times I simply crave one. Or a good "Hermione Make-over" fics where Draco is a God...many would be disgusted...I lap that stuff up now.

I've even been known to enjoy roommate and marriage fics at this point. :P (I wish we had the laughing-crying emoji, because it's legit the most appropriate here, haha.)

Reading over your post on Draco, I also realized that I'm so much more willing to believe changed!Draco because my very first crush was on Edmund Pevensie, who pretty much completely screwed up in the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and then totally reformed. So maybe that explains far more than it doesn't!

(I wish we had the laughing-crying emoji, because it's legit the most appropriate here, haha.)

I agree. The admins should add one...it should be able to be done...perhaps in the suggestion thread?? 😂😂 I just added a couple from my IPad....did they work??

In order for this ship to work legitimately, one of the characters need to change. Either Draco deals with his upbringing and changes his point of view or Hermione changes. It brings the story Lure of the Darkside to mind on HPFF. It was a confronting read with Hermione being on the Dark side, but it was done so well that your heart just felt for them both.

But let's not forget that JKR gave room for redemption for Draco anyway, regardless if you like the epilogue or not, it's there. It also shows in Cursed Child and a small not her Dramione fans was in there too, toward the end. My my heart squee with delight  :)

This ship is one of my guilty pleasures, to be honest.

I think this ship would need to take place post-war, when Draco has been changed by his experiences and is less of a pureblood supremacist than he was at Hogwarts. I also think that it would need to be a slow burn - they didn't exactly get along at Hogwarts, and they would need time to overcome that.

I don't ship Dramione but I don't hate it either. It's just... there. For me to read. Sometimes I will and sometimes I won't.

It's strange: one of my otps from the HP fandom is Romione since day one nut I've never read a Romione fic in my life (barring one when I gave a gift review ages ago). On the other hand, I've read and enjoyed many a Dramione. I mean, I'll defend Romione to the DEATH but I think I'm sort of terrified of seeing someone distort Romione so I just avoid reading fics centred around their relationship 😜

I think the thing that's so attractive about it is that Dramione has a lot of potential, you know? They can work in a variety of situations and it's interesting to see how they pan out. AUs in particular are great with a good Dramione. Plus, some of the best and darkest fics I've read included the ship so :)

Im going to deviate from all th stamping gushing here!

I've been reading fanfiction for the past 12 years, and in my initial FF reading days, the dramoine ones I've come across were really cliche. I'm sure thy were well written, but I guess they didn't make me ship them so well. My love for all things canon didn't help I guess, but I have read a few fics  that stuck to canon and still explored dramoine, which I remember enjoying.

One thing I do feel when I read dramoine fics is that Draco doesn't seem very well fleshed out. I'm guessing because the author jumps into his/her version of Draco, but from a readers point of view, someone whO is used to seeing Draco though Harry's eyes in the books, I would like to ease into the sensitive side of Draco.

Understandably that the series was written through Harry's point of view, he was still equally mean to Ron and Hermione, so I don't understand the idea of Hermione or Draco having attraction to each other. Okay, sure, Draco Malfoy was raised to hate muggles and muggleborns, but that it as far as I see it that created bad-blood between all three of them and Draco, especially Hermione and Draco. I don't see an in-between. I can understand if JKR had wrote something... not a lot... but at least something that showed that Draco and Hermione have an interest in each other. Sorry, I just can't fall in love with this ship. I get what those who are a fan point of view... but it's just not there for me. I've tried.

Okay, sure, Draco Malfoy was raised to hate muggles and muggleborns, but that it as far as I see it that created bad-blood between all three of them and Draco, especially Hermione and Draco. I don't see an in-between. I can understand if JKR had wrote something... not a lot... but at least something that showed that Draco and Hermione have an interest in each other.

Does the original author have to go there for it to happen?

JKR gives enough for Draco. HBP was full of his emotions to not just succeed at his task but that pure fear he had to deal with too, if he failed. It’s why Dumbledore could appeal to him and why Snape had to be the one to kill Dumbledore. Draco’s soul was not tarnished yet.

While people hate the Epilogue, including myself, JKR gave Draco the redemption he needed. He wasn’t a friend, but nor a foe.

Regardless if you like Cursed Child or not – JKR gave her approval. Draco is full of kindness and friendship. Teenagers grow into young adults and mature. Draco was not the same by the end of DH as he was at the beginning of PS.

The fan fiction world is full of non-JKR approved scenarios, characters, situations, love triangles, alternate endings, different realities – That’s the best part of fan fiction. We get to go where JKR didn’t. We get to play with her characters and world and put them in stories we’d like to see play out. Hell, we can do a cross-over and throw them all into an arena and may the odds be ever in their favour. JKR may not have written it herself – but she encourages the fan world – the creativity and writing.

It’s the fans that limit each other by criticising so hard or saying things like “JKR didn’t write that so it’s not right.” The only true canon compliant story is the HP books themselves. Everything else is fan based. There are literally millions of original characters and RPG characters that JKR never wrote, yet they each have a valid existence and story because a fan made them up and wrote them into her world – which JKR allows.

Personally, you don’t have to like this pairing – and that is OK. There are a few pairings that I don’t like. But just because JKR didn’t pen it herself, doesn’t mean things can’t happen if situations changed or characters took a different path 😉

UA-79258518-1