News Ticker

Site Suggestions and Feedback

WriteYourHeartOut

Would it be possible for members to have edit privileges over their posts/topics in the Writer’s Journals forum? I’ve wanted to go back and clean it up, especially the first post, for a reeeeally long time, and I feel like this might be slightly easier than posting in the Move/Edit/Delete topic in the long run. (This also applies to the Review Request/Beta Request forums, if possible). Thank you! ❤️ 

Edited by sibilant

@sibilant - Unfortunately, editing time is a sitewide setting - we can't change it for specific forums. :(

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

hi! 💛 could the advanced search form on the archives potentially be changed so that we can exclude eras? (or fandoms in general maybe since fandoms/eras are all grouped together?) sometimes a story will have a bunch of different eras tagged which isn’t what I’m looking for :P

• 1 month later...

No idea how challenging this is to code, but i just thought of it - could we add a section for "Main Character House" to the story tagging form on the archive? I think some people use the HPFT Forum House section to indicate that, which can be problematic (not majorly so, but still). I'm hoping this addition might clarify the purpose of the other field and help correct the issue. But, like I said, definitely not a high priority. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think nobody has posted this question. If the community continues so many activities, most of the review activities are done by a few nice members, they will burn out and leave this community. I think it's about time to change the strategy. For example,  If you continue posting stories, you need to read and leave reviews for the other members...something like that will be considered. 

You bring up a really good point about making sure that our event activity doesn't overwhelm the number of people who are actively participating in site events. This is a somewhat fluid figure as some events draw people in who had been inactive and others happen when people are mysteriously pulled away by real life. We are always looking to right size the number and complexity of our site activities to meet the appetite of our currently active members. 

I do think that requiring people to read/review stories in order to use the archives would push more people away than it would engage, however. I know that our recent event asks people to review stories that do not have any reviews and I'm sure some if not many of those authors have not left reviews themselves. I like to think those authors would be encouraged to spend more time on the site when they see their previously unreviewed story has people making thoughtful comments on their work. That might, in turn, cause them to become active participants in future site activities. 

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • abhorsen. unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I've asked this before and I apologize if it's a duplicate, but please, Please, pretty please can we find a different way to sort and group when you bring up your own reviews written or reviews written by another author in the archives? Right now, they're grouped by story and the stories are sorted by... I really can't figure out how they're sorted. Published date, maybe??? It's really, really hard to find any specific review you're searching for. If there was an option (or even the default, for that matter) to sort reviews by date written, that would be fantastic.

Thanks!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CambAngst said:

I think I've asked this before and I apologize if it's a duplicate, but please, Please, pretty please can we find a different way to sort and group when you bring up your own reviews written or reviews written by another author in the archives? Right now, they're grouped by story and the stories are sorted by... I really can't figure out how they're sorted. Published date, maybe??? It's really, really hard to find any specific review you're searching for. If there was an option (or even the default, for that matter) to sort reviews by date written, that would be fantastic.

Thanks!

We'd love to do this, because the organization is definitely awful. :( Unfortunately, IIRC, it requires a lot of coding that neither @toomanycurls nor I really know how to do. It's definitely on the to do list, but it's one of the more difficult changes to make. (Rose, am I misremembering?)

22 minutes ago, abhorsen. said:

We'd love to do this, because the organization is definitely awful. :( Unfortunately, IIRC, it requires a lot of coding that neither @toomanycurls nor I really know how to do. It's definitely on the to do list, but it's one of the more difficult changes to make. (Rose, am I misremembering?)

If you need help on the back-end database end of things, I'm happy to take a look. I do a lot of SQL (Transact, to be exact, but I can figure out other flavors) for work. If it's the web server end of things, I'm less able to help with that. 

• Like 1

I had the lucky combo of free time + my husband was around so I was able to isolate the bit of code that decides how to sort reviews. Now it'll just sort by review date with the most recent on top. I'm working to push those changes to the prod site but :couch: I have a lot of unpushed changes that it's sitting behind so bear with me as I get those wrapped up as well. 

• Like 5

alright, you now see your reviews in the order that you left them with the most recent first. it's not fully how I'd like the page to look (I think having the story block there is unnecessary) but it's not the painfully difficult to navigate format. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, toomanycurls said:

alright, you now see your reviews in the order that you left them with the most recent first. it's not fully how I'd like the page to look (I think having the story block there is unnecessary) but it's not the painfully difficult to navigate format. 

You are awesome, Rose!

Agree that having the story block is superfluous, but still a huge improvement. At least if you reviewed the same story X times in a row, it doesn't repeat the stock block X time. It rolls that sequence of reviews up under a single story block.

Edited by CambAngst

• 4 weeks later...

This is a super small thing, but I was putting in my challenge results into the Hall of Fame, and I almost forgot to list all the participants because it’s not an element in the form. :P Which is entirely my forgetfulness, but could that requirement be added?

Thank you! :wub:

On 11/29/2019 at 3:53 PM, just.a.willow.tree said:

This is a super small thing, but I was putting in my challenge results into the Hall of Fame, and I almost forgot to list all the participants because it’s not an element in the form. :P Which is entirely my forgetfulness, but could that requirement be added?

Thank you! :wub:

done 😊

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Here's a little issue which is big for me because I'm such a doofus.  When posting the final chapter of a story, we're supposed to click the little 'Completed' box in the story shell, but the box is tiny and inconspicuous, so I'm always overlooking it, and readers think my story isn't finished ("Oh boy, more to come!") when it really is.

When I realize my mistake, I go back and edit the story shell, but if that 'Completed' click box could be made a little bigger or more prominent, it would help bureaucratically-challenged folks like me.  I had to go back this morning and fix the box on my story Relics, which was nominated for a FROG, and that made the story briefly blanked out on the archive, though I know that you folks quickly restore edited stories so that they don't stay blanked out for very long.

Also, thanks for the prominent To be continued at the foot of an uncompleted story.

• 4 weeks later...

This may pose similar issues as previous tweaks to review sorting, displaying, etc., but as I recently began responding to my backlog of unanswered reviews I have noticed that responding to more than one unanswered review is a multi-step process: scroll to the story you want to respond on, submit the response, click a link to get back to the 'reviews received page', scroll back to the story you're responding on, and click another link for the unanswereds again. Rinse and repeat. 

I still like the information we get on the 'reviews received' page and I may be in the vast minority, but I think it would be great if we could have a master link to all our unanswereds and be able to make responses to our heart's content without being redirected all the time. TBH I don't even care how those would be sorted (they're currently by most recent review I think), but I guess the point of this is to say that I think if we can streamline our authors' abilities to respond to reviews, it might encourage more responses (not that they're necessary) which I think everyone loves getting - or at least I do. 😛 

Edited by TidalDragon
  • Like 4

• RonsGirlFriday pinned this topic