Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!
Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!
Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.
News Ticker
  • See the May Bulletin for archive rule/advisory changes.
  • See our badges forum for more details about our new badges system!
  • The Review Transfer Tool is now ready for use.
  • Announcements

• abhorsen.

May Bulletin   05/01/2018

May's bulletin is up, with all kinds of interesting information (including a tool to mass transfer all reviews you received on HPFF to HPFT's archive). You can check it out +here.
    • toomanycurls

Annual Member Survey   05/09/2018

Please take a moment to fill out the annual member survey before May 31st.  
WriteYourHeartOut

Site Suggestions and Feedback

Alopex
5 hours ago, poppunkpadfoot said:

sorry to post this in the middle of an ongoing discussion, but there's something i've been wondering about :$

i'm not sure if this is something that it would even be possible to do with the new software, and i totally understand if it's not. but it would be really nice if we were able to see a list of all the site's members... one that we could sort by house/grouping/date joined/whatever. if i recall correctly, we had something similar on the old forums. not having that sort of function isn't the end of the world, but there are definitely times when that would come in very handy, especially with my prefect duties.

i sure hope i explained that right O.o

Unfortunately, the member list is something that existed in older versions of IPB, but for some reason I cannot explain, they decided to get rid of it. Now to view a member list, you have to perform a search:

Search > advanced search > member search > select your parameters > search members

• Thanks 2

Recent Badges

poppunkpadfoot
4 hours ago, Alopex said:

Unfortunately, the member list is something that existed in older versions of IPB, but for some reason I cannot explain, they decided to get rid of it. Now to view a member list, you have to perform a search:

Search > advanced search > member search > select your parameters > search members

oooooh i had no idea that was a thing we could do! thank you alo, that's really helpful <3

• Like 1

Dojh167

Would it be possible to add more options to the "sort by" filter on the archives? Right now the options are alphabetically and most recent. I think it would also be useful to be able to sort by length and maybe rating.

• Like 1

scooterbug8515

Hey idea that bubbled in a chat that I thought I'd put out for all.

Is it possible for us to have a "To read list"  Like a way to mark a story and 'need to read'?  That would be really nice.

If not could we maybe have a small corner of the forum of it?

• Like 2

Alopex
11 hours ago, scooterbug8515 said:

Hey idea that bubbled in a chat that I thought I'd put out for all.

Is it possible for us to have a "To read list"  Like a way to mark a story and 'need to read'?  That would be really nice.

If not could we maybe have a small corner of the forum of it?

@toomanycurls handles most of the archive stuff, especially any coding changes, so she will have to speak to the feasibility of doing something like that.  For the forums, though, it sounds like you are suggesting a personal list or notepad, basically?  Could a blog work for that?  Like an entry where you list that out and can keep editing it as you add new stories or read ones on your list?  You might even be able to keep it unpublished as a draft if you'd prefer it more private.

Recent Badges

800 words of heaven

Not sure if this has already been suggested, but would it be possible to personally mark stories (and individual chapters) that we'd already read? I sometimes (often) lose track of which chapter I'm up to! It's not something the author would be able to see, but for personal reader use

• Like 2

potterfan310

With people currently moving from HPFF to here, is there anyway there could be a master list of people who have moved to make it easier to find previous author/story favourites, as I know not everyone will have kept the same penname and people sometimes have different pennames on the forums to the archives. :)

Alopex
On 3/31/2018 at 6:44 PM, 800 words of heaven said:

Not sure if this has already been suggested, but would it be possible to personally mark stories (and individual chapters) that we'd already read? I sometimes (often) lose track of which chapter I'm up to! It's not something the author would be able to see, but for personal reader use

@toomanycurls will have to weigh in on the feasibility of that, as she is in charge of new archive features.

On 4/2/2018 at 2:10 PM, potterfan310 said:

With people currently moving from HPFF to here, is there anyway there could be a master list of people who have moved to make it easier to find previous author/story favourites, as I know not everyone will have kept the same penname and people sometimes have different pennames on the forums to the archives. :)

I started a thread here:)

• Like 1

Recent Badges

toomanycurls

The marking as read shouldn't be too difficult. I can look into it next month. I'm pretty tied up with another feature I'm working on. 

• Like 4

Recent Badges

scooterbug8515

Okay so this idea that I'm tossing out has NOTHING to do with coding, and everything to do with the House Cup.  (I will state that it may be too late to implement this year but could be fun in years to come.  Or just a general fun thing to do. 

FicFued got me to thinking about the idea of a site wide collaboration.  Where we as a site are given a subject matter, theme or time period that we all focus on.  We write our own one-shots to contribute either to a single multi-chapter story or we can use the swanky collection feature on the archives. 

It would be points for each story submitted to the collection/collaboration submitted.  I love reading and contributing to a large effort telling stories from a similar time or theme and the individual interpretations regarding that topic.  

For added fun/challenge/points - there can be bonus points for including obscure lines, or if it is a time period getting characters outside the time period to feature. 

Examples:

A collab/collection focused on The First Wizarding War (Second Wizarding War was done on another site)

- challenge feature a founder or Next Gen Kid

- challenge Include the line "I didn't know one could acquire fur lined knickers!"

A collab/collection focused on acceptance

- challenge include a fairtale element

- challenge don't have a happy ending

*Please note the examples are just random things, any time/theme/subject can be used and of course any challenges can be added or not used at all.

Overall, I think it would be fun to have a large collaborative collection of most everyone on the site - it's a great come together moment in general but can also be used for a bit of fun house point competition too.

• Like 3

Alopex

I'm a big fan of collabs and like this idea. :) We won't be able to fit it in this year, but we are going to have to start scheduling and tossing ideas for next year's in the not-too-distant future.

We actually considered a yearlong collaboration for this year's HC (I suggested it and was obviously for it :P ) but ultimately decided not to in favor of other events. We tend to have an over-abundance of ideas and cut out a lot of potential things from this year's schedule because we didn't think we had the resources to make them all happen, much less members having enough time and energy to do them all (more breaks was one of the things we took away from last year's end-of-year survey).

I say that to make clear I am not guaranteeing we will do a collaboration, as I am not the only one with an opinion, and other ideas may prove more popular. But like I said, I personally am a fan. :P People do tend to like collaborative writing tasks, so I think it's something that can be done in some form or fashion.

• Like 2

Recent Badges

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.