Jump to content

Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Check out the new badges we have available.
  • Why did Professor Snape stand in the middle of the road?
  • So you'll never know which side he's on.
WriteYourHeartOut

Site Suggestions and Feedback

Recommended Posts

Alopex
5 hours ago, poppunkpadfoot said:

sorry to post this in the middle of an ongoing discussion, but there's something i've been wondering about :$

i'm not sure if this is something that it would even be possible to do with the new software, and i totally understand if it's not. but it would be really nice if we were able to see a list of all the site's members... one that we could sort by house/grouping/date joined/whatever. if i recall correctly, we had something similar on the old forums. not having that sort of function isn't the end of the world, but there are definitely times when that would come in very handy, especially with my prefect duties.

i sure hope i explained that right O.o

Unfortunately, the member list is something that existed in older versions of IPB, but for some reason I cannot explain, they decided to get rid of it. Now to view a member list, you have to perform a search:

Search > advanced search > member search > select your parameters > search members

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Recent Badges

poppunkpadfoot
4 hours ago, Alopex said:

Unfortunately, the member list is something that existed in older versions of IPB, but for some reason I cannot explain, they decided to get rid of it. Now to view a member list, you have to perform a search:

Search > advanced search > member search > select your parameters > search members

oooooh i had no idea that was a thing we could do! thank you alo, that's really helpful <3

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dojh167

Would it be possible to add more options to the "sort by" filter on the archives? Right now the options are alphabetically and most recent. I think it would also be useful to be able to sort by length and maybe rating.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

scooterbug8515

Hey idea that bubbled in a chat that I thought I'd put out for all.

 

Is it possible for us to have a "To read list"  Like a way to mark a story and 'need to read'?  That would be really nice.

 

If not could we maybe have a small corner of the forum of it?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alopex
11 hours ago, scooterbug8515 said:

Hey idea that bubbled in a chat that I thought I'd put out for all.

 

Is it possible for us to have a "To read list"  Like a way to mark a story and 'need to read'?  That would be really nice.

 

If not could we maybe have a small corner of the forum of it?

@toomanycurls handles most of the archive stuff, especially any coding changes, so she will have to speak to the feasibility of doing something like that.  For the forums, though, it sounds like you are suggesting a personal list or notepad, basically?  Could a blog work for that?  Like an entry where you list that out and can keep editing it as you add new stories or read ones on your list?  You might even be able to keep it unpublished as a draft if you'd prefer it more private.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Recent Badges

800 words of heaven

Not sure if this has already been suggested, but would it be possible to personally mark stories (and individual chapters) that we'd already read? I sometimes (often) lose track of which chapter I'm up to! It's not something the author would be able to see, but for personal reader use

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

potterfan310

With people currently moving from HPFF to here, is there anyway there could be a master list of people who have moved to make it easier to find previous author/story favourites, as I know not everyone will have kept the same penname and people sometimes have different pennames on the forums to the archives. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alopex
On 3/31/2018 at 6:44 PM, 800 words of heaven said:

Not sure if this has already been suggested, but would it be possible to personally mark stories (and individual chapters) that we'd already read? I sometimes (often) lose track of which chapter I'm up to! It's not something the author would be able to see, but for personal reader use

@toomanycurls will have to weigh in on the feasibility of that, as she is in charge of new archive features.

On 4/2/2018 at 2:10 PM, potterfan310 said:

With people currently moving from HPFF to here, is there anyway there could be a master list of people who have moved to make it easier to find previous author/story favourites, as I know not everyone will have kept the same penname and people sometimes have different pennames on the forums to the archives. :)

I started a thread here:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Recent Badges

toomanycurls

The marking as read shouldn't be too difficult. I can look into it next month. I'm pretty tied up with another feature I'm working on. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

scooterbug8515

Okay so this idea that I'm tossing out has NOTHING to do with coding, and everything to do with the House Cup.  (I will state that it may be too late to implement this year but could be fun in years to come.  Or just a general fun thing to do. 

FicFued got me to thinking about the idea of a site wide collaboration.  Where we as a site are given a subject matter, theme or time period that we all focus on.  We write our own one-shots to contribute either to a single multi-chapter story or we can use the swanky collection feature on the archives. 

It would be points for each story submitted to the collection/collaboration submitted.  I love reading and contributing to a large effort telling stories from a similar time or theme and the individual interpretations regarding that topic.  

For added fun/challenge/points - there can be bonus points for including obscure lines, or if it is a time period getting characters outside the time period to feature. 

 

Examples:

A collab/collection focused on The First Wizarding War (Second Wizarding War was done on another site)

- challenge feature a founder or Next Gen Kid

- challenge Include the line "I didn't know one could acquire fur lined knickers!"

 

A collab/collection focused on acceptance

- challenge include a fairtale element

- challenge don't have a happy ending

 

*Please note the examples are just random things, any time/theme/subject can be used and of course any challenges can be added or not used at all.

Overall, I think it would be fun to have a large collaborative collection of most everyone on the site - it's a great come together moment in general but can also be used for a bit of fun house point competition too.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alopex

I'm a big fan of collabs and like this idea. :) We won't be able to fit it in this year, but we are going to have to start scheduling and tossing ideas for next year's in the not-too-distant future.

We actually considered a yearlong collaboration for this year's HC (I suggested it and was obviously for it :P ) but ultimately decided not to in favor of other events. We tend to have an over-abundance of ideas and cut out a lot of potential things from this year's schedule because we didn't think we had the resources to make them all happen, much less members having enough time and energy to do them all (more breaks was one of the things we took away from last year's end-of-year survey).

I say that to make clear I am not guaranteeing we will do a collaboration, as I am not the only one with an opinion, and other ideas may prove more popular. But like I said, I personally am a fan. :P People do tend to like collaborative writing tasks, so I think it's something that can be done in some form or fashion.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Recent Badges

facingthenorthwind

This is less a suggestion and more of a "there is presumably a very well-thought out reason that you haven't done this and I'm just wondering what it is" but: a cbox? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alopex
2 minutes ago, facingthenorthwind said:

This is less a suggestion and more of a "there is presumably a very well-thought out reason that you haven't done this and I'm just wondering what it is" but: a cbox? 

Main reason being that free options are limited, and right now we do have one that we use for staff, which only allows us one widget (meaning we can't put up two shoutboxes and use the second for members). Right now, we do definitely use it for site business, such as mods alerting each other when they are modding, staff reminding each other to do things before a certain time (because we are also lazy and not all of us actually read threads unless pointed to them...), asking for second opinions and such. I just scrolled and counted back the last 100 shouts (about 2 weeks worth), and 90 of them were site business comments. We would definitely have to make adjustments to how we conduct site business if we opened the shoutbox up to members. Which might not be the end of the world. :P

We have discussed a member shout in the past, and another thing is we suspect that if a member chat was available, activity in other areas would drop off (as happened at HPPC) because people would post in the shout rather than make a status update or a post.

The staff only thing is more of a tradition/holdover from HPFF I guess. So there's that.

Anyway, I'm not saying we can't or won't add one (we can certainly discuss it), but since you asked for the current reasoning, there it is.

(Also, I think the forum/message board format is basically a relic of the 90s/00s at this point and not really what people use on the internet anymore with more social and chatty/interactive options prevailing for obvious reasons, but here I am the admin of a forum, regardless of my personal opinion on the format--which I like personally while recognizing its heyday is past. :whistling: )

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Recent Badges

facingthenorthwind

That makes perfect sense, thank you! I was just curious, really. Pretty sure 99% of my problems that I want solved by a cbox would be fixed by making a hpft-specific twitter account, so...I GUESS I should get around to doing that.......9_9

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ClassicalStars
3 hours ago, Alopex said:

Main reason being that free options are limited, and right now we do have one that we use for staff, which only allows us one widget (meaning we can't put up two shoutboxes and use the second for members). Right now, we do definitely use it for site business, such as mods alerting each other when they are modding, staff reminding each other to do things before a certain time (because we are also lazy and not all of us actually read threads unless pointed to them...), asking for second opinions and such. I just scrolled and counted back the last 100 shouts (about 2 weeks worth), and 90 of them were site business comments. We would definitely have to make adjustments to how we conduct site business if we opened the shoutbox up to members. Which might not be the end of the world. :P

We have discussed a member shout in the past, and another thing is we suspect that if a member chat was available, activity in other areas would drop off (as happened at HPPC) because people would post in the shout rather than make a status update or a post.

The staff only thing is more of a tradition/holdover from HPFF I guess. So there's that.

Anyway, I'm not saying we can't or won't add one (we can certainly discuss it), but since you asked for the current reasoning, there it is.

(Also, I think the forum/message board format is basically a relic of the 90s/00s at this point and not really what people use on the internet anymore with more social and chatty/interactive options prevailing for obvious reasons, but here I am the admin of a forum, regardless of my personal opinion on the format--which I like personally while recognizing its heyday is past. :whistling: )

Sorry to jump in but what about setting something up like a discord or something? It's free and very functional. I've got servers for art and writing alike. It's just an idea, of course, but I figured I'd put it forward :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alopex
5 hours ago, ClassicalStars said:

Sorry to jump in but what about setting something up like a discord or something? It's free and very functional. I've got servers for art and writing alike. It's just an idea, of course, but I figured I'd put it forward :)

Bottom line: because we want to keep our members here rather than sending them elsewhere. :)

As for embedding/integrating discord with the forum software in order to keep members here, there is an IPB application for discord integration but 1) it never progressed beyond the beta stage over a year and a half ago 2) has poor reviews 3) costs $60 annual subscription after the initial $60 purchase. So for obvious reasons, we won't be buying that.

The discord widget provided by discord uses iframes from what I can tell, and we can't embed those without subscribing to IPB's pages application in addition to the forums and blogs applications we have subscriptions for. That's $100 initially and $30/year after that for pages.

Once again, I am not saying we can't have a member chat or won't ever have one. It does sound like something we should re-visit and discuss again. This is the current reasoning and challenges, because the bottom line is we know that chat will likely be more used/popular than any other feature (which is why we'd want it HERE, not someplace else, if we had one). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Recent Badges

ClassicalStars
1 minute ago, Alopex said:

Bottom line: because we want to keep our members here rather than sending them elsewhere. :)

As for embedding/integrating discord with the forum software in order to keep members here, there is an IPB application for discord integration but 1) it never progressed beyond the beta stage over a year and a half ago 2) has poor reviews 3) costs $60 annual subscription after the initial $60 purchase. So for obvious reasons, we won't be buying that.

The discord widget provided by discord uses iframes from what I can tell, and we can't embed those without subscribing to IPB's pages application in addition to the forums and blogs applications we have subscriptions for. That's $100 initially and $30/year after that for pages.

Once again, I am not saying we can't have a member chat or won't ever have one. It does sound like something we should re-visit and discuss again. This is the current reasoning and challenges, because the bottom line is we know that chat will likely be more used/popular than any other feature (which is why we'd want it HERE, not someplace else, if we had one). 

Fair enough. It was just an idea is all. I didn't know it was that expensive since I use the application, not an integrated feature to any site I use. Sorry!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alopex
4 minutes ago, ClassicalStars said:

Fair enough. It was just an idea is all. I didn't know it was that expensive since I use the application, not an integrated feature to any site I use. Sorry!

No apologies necessary! Suggestions are welcome, and they can spark ideas we didn't know about or never thought about. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Recent Badges

Diogenissa

Hey I hope I'm posting this in the correct place! :)

Would be kinda cool maybe if the Houses could set one up and make a competition out of it. Most words for house points 1-4. All that'd have to be done is a screencap taken of the cabin's main stat page on Aug 1st. You could have a prefect or staff member who is participating in Nano be the captain and therefore responsible for sending in the screencap.

If anything, it might encourage people a little closer toward their respective goals 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

toomanycurls
1 hour ago, Diogenissa said:

Hey I hope I'm posting this in the correct place! :)

Would be kinda cool maybe if the Houses could set one up and make a competition out of it. Most words for house points 1-4. All that'd have to be done is a screencap taken of the cabin's main stat page on Aug 1st. You could have a prefect or staff member who is participating in Nano be the captain and therefore responsible for sending in the screencap.

If anything, it might encourage people a little closer toward their respective goals 😊

I think it'd be great to run a competition like that in the Quidditch Pitch or post in the Crazies Cafe (maybe the Crazies Cafe so the nano folks can see). 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

facingthenorthwind

I suspect the answer to this is going to be "IPB hates joy and everything good", but: is there a way to display local timezones? As in you set your local time on your profile and then people can see what the local time is for you when they click on your profile. I know it used to be possible on IPB, but...they have got rid of several useful features, so perhaps this also died.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

toomanycurls
3 minutes ago, facingthenorthwind said:

I suspect the answer to this is going to be "IPB hates joy and everything good", but: is there a way to display local timezones? As in you set your local time on your profile and then people can see what the local time is for you when they click on your profile. I know it used to be possible on IPB, but...they have got rid of several useful features, so perhaps this also died.

@Alopex is the ultimate authority on this but - - in old IPB they had people set their timezones, however now the software autodetects timezones. Cool thing is you will get relevant times without telling the site what time it is for you. Downside is that it's no longer a stored data point associated with accounts (which makes it not a displayable field). Yay progress? 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alopex
On 6/30/2018 at 11:14 PM, facingthenorthwind said:

I suspect the answer to this is going to be "IPB hates joy and everything good", but: is there a way to display local timezones? As in you set your local time on your profile and then people can see what the local time is for you when they click on your profile. I know it used to be possible on IPB, but...they have got rid of several useful features, so perhaps this also died.

1GmRHdD.png

Yes, they have definitely gotten rid of some things I miss. :P Added new features, but why get rid of things like a member list or searching for content by user group? Oh well.

Anyway, I don't know of a way to do the time zone thing without making a custom profile field people would have to fill in...and then it would not be responsive to daylight savings time changes unless the person properly updated.

I searched on the IPB support forums, and I couldn't find anything useful.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Recent Badges

CambAngst
Posted (edited)

A suggestion for the Archives: Is it possible to have some alternatives for sorting/organizing the "Your Reviews" page? One person's opinion, but grouping by story makes it hard to track down a particular review once you have more than 2 pages worth. This is especially true because the stories aren't sorted in alphabetical order, or any other order that I've been able to figure out. It would also be nice to be able to filter by Author Responded/Not Responded.

 

Thanks!

-Dan

Edited by CambAngst
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alopex
24 minutes ago, CambAngst said:

A suggestion for the Archives: Is it possible to have some alternatives for sorting/organizing the "Your Reviews" page? One person's opinion, but grouping by story makes it hard to track down a particular review once you have more than 2 pages worth. This is especially true because the stories aren't sorted in alphabetical order, or any other order that I've been able to figure out. It would also be nice to be able to filter by Author Responded/Not Responded.

 

Thanks!

-Dan

I find the reviews sorting very confusing and annoying as well, and I have only left a few so don't have many to look through. I have been told it is sorted by story update time, which doesn't make sense to me. Sorting by responded or not responded would be amazing, but just displaying them in order of datetime left would be a huuuuuuge improvement. @toomanycurls is improving review list sorting something that can be added to your list of archive improvements to consider?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Recent Badges

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×