HPFanficTalk
  • Announcements

• abhorsen.

January Bulletin   12/31/2017

January's bulletin is up! It includes information about recent staff/prefect bumps, the upcoming FROGS, some special awards, and more! You can check it out +here.
just.a.willow.tree

just.a.willow.tree's reviews

I just love reviewing things, okay? :P

Anything within the HP fandom and Original Fiction is fine with me! Ships, genres, themes, doesn't matter. I'd prefer, if you have a multi-chap story, that the chapters be under 4,000 words (just because my memory is so ridiculous I actually will be unable to remember anything from the first 75% of the chapter if it's longer than that) but if it's a one-shot, then any length is fine.

I'd also like it if the stories were posted on HPFT, for convenience.

No limits. If it gets to be too much, then I'll put a temporary halt on it. ^_^

PLEASE SEND ME YOUR STORIES I KNOW I WILL LOVE THEM <3 

Form:

[b]Story and Author Name, including link:[/b]
[b]Warnings and Advisories:[/b]
[b]Genre[/b]
[b]Length:[/b]
[b]Summary:[/b]
[b]Ships:[/b]
[b]Areas of Concern:[/b]

Oh, yay! Pick me! Pick me! Pick me! :bliss::thanks:

What should I request for... :hmm:

Story and Author Name, including link: All the truth about Jimmy Portman (M) by Felpata_Lupin 

Warnings and Advisories: sexual content, violence

Genre drama, angst, AU

Length: for now 20 chapters and 50422 words. The first chapter is 2016 words

Summary:

Destiny is the result of people's choices. And any single choice can change it completely.

In this AU the Marauders are still alive and free (more or less...), Neville Longbottom is the guy with the scar, and Harry... Well, just read and find out!

Ships: James/Lily, Peter/Remus, possibly others (romance is not the main focus anyway)

Areas of Concern: nothing in particular, just hoping you might enjoy it... :rose:

• Like 1

Hi there! :) I'm Aph or Laura, as you prefer, and basically, I'm looking at revamping bits of this series and working towards finishing bits of it off - including this story, so I'd love a fresh pair of eyes on it :)

Story and Author Name, including link: La Bete Noire (M) by Aphoride
Warnings and Advisories: None
Genre Drama, Angst, Hurt/comfort, mentions of off-screen romance
Length: 3 chapters, ~7k
Summary: Immortality is as much ambrosia as it is poison: it is selfish, egotistical and all-consuming. 

We fell; or rather, one fell - the other was already at the bottom.

Ships: Albus/Gellert, Nicolas Flamel/Perenelle Flamel
Areas of Concern: How is the backwards timeline working so far? It is leading to something, but I don't know how obvious that is and if it really works. What do you think about the characters? Are they in-character or not? Anything else you want/need to comment on is great, too :)

Thank you! :)

Story and Author Name, including link: Love in Three Acts (M) by toomanycurls

Warnings and Advisories: Violence, Sexual Content

Genre Romance, Angst, Drama

Length: It'll be 4 chapters finished but now I just have the first chapter in at 3k words 

Summary: Love in three acts: friendship, romance, betrayal. The story of Sirius and Remus.

Ships: Remus/Sirius

Areas of Concern: I'm reposting this story on HPFT after doing some edits. I'd love a keen eye on the first chapter, characterizations, and flow. 

• Like 1

Story and Author Name, including link: Shenanigans, Capers, and Hi-Jinks (M) by Beeezie

Warnings and Advisories: Sexual Content, Substance Abuse, Violence

Genre Action/Adventure, Humor, Romance

Length: 14 chapters

Summary: Meeting banshees in the Forbidden Forest, setting the Great Hall on fire, and smuggling in contraband: Victoire and Fred Weasley are trouble with a capital T.

Ships: Teddy/Vic, Fred II/OC

Areas of Concern: I've got a couple new chapters of this that I'm working on, and I'd love feedback on how the story's progressing, especially on some of the later chapters - I'm totally happy to come back and rerequest if you don't mind me continuing to bother you :P and it's also totally fine if you want to skip reviewing some of the earlier chapters. <3

• Like 1

@abhorsen. I went and reviewed all of your chapters anyway :P I enjoyed it so much I forgot to comment on your concerns until the last chapter, and I'm still not sure I did it thoroughly enough. Let me know if you want a more in-depth comment, haha. <3

@1917farmgirl I've never sought out Merlin fics before, but I'm definitely willing to read them! I'm familiar with the main characters and the overarching plotlines of the show, though I've only seen a few episodes. As long as the fic doesn't require super detailed knowledge of minor characters or events, I should be good. :P I loved Merlin while I watched it, though I just never got around to finishing the show.

Posted (edited)

Awesome!  How about this - I'll put this up here, but if you can't seem to get a grasp on it or there are too many details you are missing because it's Merlin, feel free to just stop reading. :)  Also, there are a few chapters in here that top your 4,000 limit, just so you know.  So I'm totally fine if you just ignore this request. 

Thanks a bunch!

[b]Story and Author Name, including link:[/b] Silence Cuts Loudest Through the Chaos (M)  by 1917farmgirl
[b]Warnings and Advisories:[/b]  Domestic Abuse, Sexual Assault, Slavery, Substance Abuse, Suicide, Violence
[b]Genre[/b] Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
[b]Length:[/b] 67000 words so far
[b]Summary:[/b] 

Kidnapped by a mad king, Arthur and Merlin must rely on each other like never before. While Arthur struggles with choices that put his heart and duty at odds, Merlin struggles just to stay alive after being stripped of his magic and freedom. With impossible choices and heavy secrets weighing them down, can they manage to escape before all is lost? 

[b]Ships:[/b] Arthur/Gwen
[b]Areas of Concern:[/b] Is it enjoyable to read and a good story?  
Edited by 1917farmgirl

Story and Author Name, including link: Love in Three Acts (M) by toomanycurls

Warnings and Advisories: Violence, Sexual Content

Genre Romance, Angst, Drama

Length: chapter 2 is 3k words

Summary: Love in three acts: friendship, romance, betrayal. The story of Sirius and Remus.

Ships: Remus/Sirius

AOC: I feel like chapter 2 is the weakest but I not sure what to change to make this feel more authentic. Maybe it's the fact that I'm showing a strained time in their relationship that makes the flow and characterizations feel all over the place. Help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you guys for posting :wub:

School's started again, and I just want to make sure I get through these requests before taking on any more. So I won't be taking requests for one week, but any time after January 9, feel free to request some more. :P

@1917farmgirl I reviewed the first chapter of Merlin! I'll try to get through as much as I can during this week. <3

Edited by just.a.willow.tree
  • Like 1

I'll be opening this again! Since school is now a thing I must deal with, I'm going to have a few new guidelines to make things a little easier. :P 

1. Please request no more than five chapters at a time, so you'll have to specify in the form which chapters you'd like. This doesn't mean that I don't want to read longer stories/novels! I've loved the novels sent to me so far. :wub: (And since I like reviewing every chapter, please, please feel free to keep coming back with the same novel! <3)
  2. No more than three people requesting at a time please! I'll make sure to let everyone know once I've finished a set of reviews. ^_^ 

Thank you! :hug: 

• Like 1

Story & Author Name: Love, Not War [M] by RoxiMalfoy
Warnings & Advisories: Hate Speech, Suicide, Violence
Genres: Angst, AU, Horror/Dark, Drama
Length: Novel (21 Chapters) WIP: 139,944 so far
Ships: Draco/OC, Lucius/Narcissa, Molly/Arthur, 
Summary: When tragedy strikes, Lucius Malfoy is forced to make a difficult decision. He then hands his only son over to the Order of the Phoenix, in the hopes that they will protect him from Lord Voldemort. Now, with nowhere else to go, Draco Malfoy is stuck living at the Burrow with the Weasley’s. But when another new witch from America moves in too, things start to get... interesting.
Areas of Concern: If you wanna just go ahead and do the first 4-5 chapters, that would be really cool!! I do realize that some of my chapters run a little bit on the longer side though, so if 4-5 is too many, than just feel free to R&R whatever you're comfortable with. :thumbsup:  (I honestly just need to learn better balance, haha!!) Thank you soo much for the generous offer, Eva!! If you like the story, I will most definitely come back to re-request the next few chapters when you have spaces open again!! xD 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Howdy Eva!

Your thread is very generous! :) Since you already have a multi-chapter request though, I'll limit mine to two (2) or three (3) chapters (all of which are less than 3,000 words). If you wind up liking it I may follow up.

Story & Author Name: No Accounting for Taste (M) by TidalDragon
Warnings & Advisories: Sexual Assault, Sexual Content, Substance Abuse
Genres: AU, Drama, Romance
Length: Novellette (Completed: six (6) chapters; 13,633 words)
Ships: Harry Potter/Katie Bell, Unlisted Pairing
Summary: There's more to life than crunching numbers. Professors be damned.
Areas of Concern: Like I said above, if you could take a look at the first two (2) or three (3) chapters that would be awesome. Primarily I'm interested in three things: (1) how you think Harry and Katie are presented as individual characters, (2) how the description works - particularly with regard to balancing dialogue and description, and (3) your thoughts about the starting and ending points in the time jumps and Harry/Katie dynamic.

Thanks!

Edited by TidalDragon
  • Like 1

Hey, Eva! I'm totally going to take advantage of this since this has been weighing on my mind for a while. 

Story and Author Name, including link: What We Become [M] by Rumpelstiltksin
Warnings and Advisories: Sexual Content, Violence, Substance Abuse and Hate Speech
Genre: Dark/Horror, Romance
Length: 13, 276 [the chapter that I'd really like some input on is 3042 words]
Summary: Leaving Hogwarts to leap into the cesspool of adulthood is hard. Leaving Hogwarts to leap into the cesspool of adulthood in the wake of a life-altering war and falling in love with a Death Eater is even harder.
Ships: Igor Karkaroff/Original Character, canon pairings, and some randoms
Areas of Concern: Just the very first chapter [Chapter One]! The timeline tends to jump around, which is the way I intended (I like to experiment) but each section is dated (just a disclaimer). My main area of concern is that the characters are feeling extremely flat and uninteresting as they are being introduced (starting in the second section and to the end). Something feels particularly dry about it, as if it were an exposition but I can't quite put my finger on it, so I would definitely like a second opinion of that.  This chapter feels incredibly dull and things start to work themselves out as I've been writing chapters, becoming much more alive and colorful whereas, no matter how much I've tried to fix it, this chapter seems incredibly boring [I can't tell if it's the flow, the plot, or the characters, or some kind of combination]. I'm particularly worried about it because it's the very first chapter...I don't want anyone who reads it to fall asleep or something. xD Thanks so much! 

Edited by Rumpelstiltskin
  • Like 1

Eva!!! I love, love, LOVED your reviews for LNW so much!!! :hug:  Can I give you a one-shot this time? It's the next story in the series, so you're not missing anything, lol! ;) 

Story & Author Name: Doing the Right Thing by RoxiMalfoy
Warnings & Advisories: None
Genres: AU, Dark/Horror
Length: One-Shot, 1,500 Words
Ships: N/A
Summary: Mother had always said that I was different. She believed that I was capable of doing the right thing. Whatever that meant...
Areas of Concern: This is a missing moment from LNW, and it actually takes place 3 months before the events of the main story begin. I would love to hear your thoughts on this before we move onto the events that are about to unfold between Draco & the Minister in LNW, if you don't mind. Feel free to point out whatever sticks out. Your reviews are always so lovely. THANK YOU, EVA!!! :wub: 

• Like 1

Story and Author Name, including link: Love in Three Acts (M) by toomanycurls

Warnings and Advisories: Violence, Sexual Content

Genre Romance, Angst, Drama

Length: chapter 3 and 4, not super long each

Summary: Love in three acts: friendship, romance, betrayal. The story of Sirius and Remus.

Ships: Remus/Sirius

AOC: I want to get your perspective on the climax of the story and the followup/last chapter. 

Story Title and author name, including link: Miracle (here! M) by Hasane

Warnings and Advisories: profanity, violence, scenes of sexual nature (the latter is nonexistent as of now and the violence is because I needed it for the premise of the story in the beginning)

Genre: romance, humor, angst

Length: for all four chapters it's 19,023 words.

Summary: She was told it was a miracle, but it was more akin to a curse, if one looks at how much she lost. 

Or alternatively: What would happen if a wizard gave a muggle a blood transfusion?

Ships: Albus/OC (eventually), Scorpius/OC

Areas of Concern: Mostly just coherency, grammar, and such. It makes sense to my eyes, but I've read it a thousand times so. 

So, I happen to have just posted a new chapter for Jimmy... :whistling:

Story and Author Name, including link: All the truth about Jimmy Portman (M) by Felpata_Lupin 

Warnings and Advisories: sexual content, violence

Genre drama, angst, AU

Length: chapter 21 is 2687 words

Summary:

Destiny is the result of people's choices. And any single choice can change it completely.

In this AU the Marauders are still alive and free (more or less...), Neville Longbottom is the guy with the scar, and Harry... Well, just read and find out!

Ships: James/Lily, Peter/Remus, possibly others

Areas of Concern: just curious of your thoughts :wub:

UA-79258518-1