HPFanficTalk
  • Announcements

• abhorsen.

January Bulletin   12/31/2017

January's bulletin is up! It includes information about recent staff/prefect bumps, the upcoming FROGS, some special awards, and more! You can check it out +here.
MegGonagall

Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra

1 hour ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

Oh, yeah, I remember those incidents. I never thought too much of it (possibly because I just refused to ship Zutara at the time lol) and I always considered those incidents where the writers just wanted the two to be good friends but without knowing how to write male/female teenage friendships without adding in some weird tension. I feel that sort of thing happens a lot in movies and shows. But yeah, I can definitely see the tension and how they never really addressed how to resolve it.

Yeah, they definitely did include weird tension where it wasn't necessary in general. There wasn't the same weirdness with Aang, Sokka, or Zuko with Toph, though - and while Toph was younger, so was Aang, and there was never weirdness between Zuko and Ty Lee. I suspect that the fact that Katara was pretty and slightly older and Toph was younger, grosser, and much more of a tomboy played a role, but still - it felt weird to me.

(I am totally coming off as a Zutara shipper right now and I swear I'm not. I like Mai a lot more than I like Katara! I was just annoyed with how they handled that dynamic, and also I guess Kataang <<<<< Zutara <<< Maiko? Because seriously.)

Edit: Also yesss I love that scene! That episode has so many great moments/lines. And ALSO I love that Ty Lee likes Mai more than she fears Azula - there's a lot to unpack there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

2 hours ago, Renacerá said:

The "saving the jerk who dumped me" part is so fabulous. And I literally scream with happiness at, "I love Zuko more than I fear you."

I LOVE THAT SCENE. I'VE REWATCHED THAT SCENE LIKE 35830510 TIMES. MAI IS SO BADASS I LOVE HER

Legit just watched this episode about 4 hours ago. LOVE when she says she loves Zuko more than she fears Azula. It was just so satisfying to see Mai, and Ty Lee too, stand up for themselves. 

• Like 1

Mai and Ty Lee would have been unstoppable together... if the writers had given them more screentime to work with. After Mai's really, really awesome moment, I had been somewhat expecting a scene in which Mai and Ty Lee were helping to battle the army of the Fire Nation, or something like that. It would have been great to really see them pitted against Azula at some point, but that final agni kai between Zuko and Azula was so gorgeous that I didn't really mind too much.

2 hours ago, abhorsen. said:

And ALSO I love that Ty Lee likes Mai more than she fears Azula - there's a lot to unpack there.

YES. I wish so much for the Ty Lee and Mai friendship to have built up more. Ty Lee has basically been scared of Azula since day one, when Azula pulled that horrible "light everything on fire" trick on her at the circus. So to see her stand up for Mai like this... I loved it.

• Like 1

So I think there's one big question we haven't covered yet.

You're a bender. What kind of bender are you? :P

I'm fire all the way, every day. It's probably a character flaw. Also, I'm literally the opposite of an airbender, which is probably part of why I find Aang to be fundamentally irritating.

3 minutes ago, abhorsen. said:

From day one of watching that show, I’ve been saying I’d be a water bender. I’m probably least like an earth bender. 

6 minutes ago, abhorsen. said:

I'm fire all the way, every day. It's probably a character flaw. Also, I'm literally the opposite of an airbender, which is probably part of why I find Aang to be fundamentally irritating.

Bahaahaha! Well, I'd like to be a firebender because I think it'd be really nice to be able to boil water and make tea in an instant. (My love of tea rivals Iroh's.) But in terms of what I'd actually be - Idk. My zodiac sign is an air sign and I do think my personality is the most air, so that's probably what I'd be.

I am also a fundamentally irritating person, so it fits xD 

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, abhorsen. said:

See, if we aligned Houses with bender types, I'd probably be an earth bender. But I don't like rocks.

I like swimming, though! So maybe I'd be a water bender. But I don't think that's how it works.

• Haha 2

UA-79258518-1