Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • THE HOUSE CUP FINALE HAS BEGUN!
  • Keep an eye on the Prefects' Blog for House Writing Award results.
MegGonagall

Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra

MegGonagall

I know there are a few of us who are Avatar and Korra fans. I thought this would be a great place for us to geek out about the shows.

:D

Who are your favorite characters? Are you team Kataang or Zutara? Also, are you team Korra/Mako or Korrasami? What is your favorite episode(s)?

Remember to keep all discussions friendly and be considerate of everyone's opinions!

Stella Blue

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS AN AVATAR THREAD THANK YOU MEG. I HAVE SO MANY FEELINGS

Favorite character: Zuko, without a doubt. I had such a crush on him. And talk about character development. He was just the best. One of the best Zuko moments is this:

Sokka: Pretty clouds.

Zuko: Yeah. Fluffy.

it just kills me how awkward I just love him

I also love Sokka, because I feel like the two of us would have been BEST friends because of our mutual appreciation of sarcasm and bad puns.

And LoK-wise, I really love Asami!

so ships: When I first watched the show I was so on board with the Zutara ship. (Not a huge fan of Kataang because I think Aang really puts Katara on a pedestal) but after watching Korra, I'm ok with Kataang I guess. I now ship Zuko with that random girl he went on a date with at the fountain :P

Also. KORRASAMI. Duh. Pretty sure I shrieked at my computer when I watched the end of that finale

A few of my favorite episodes off the top of my head:

the one where Zuko joins Team Avatar after impersonating his family to an audience of one frog

and the one with ~~SECRET TUNNELLLL~~

and the one called Zuko Alone, that broke my heart but it was so good

ok I'll stop now but srsly I could go on forever. Thanks for starting this topic Meg!

• Like 1

MegGonagall

As soon as I saw the Other Fandoms section, I knew I had to put an Avatar/Korra topic here!

For me, my favorite characters were always Katara and Zuko, but I never shipped them. I love Katara's strength, wisdom and passion. Her character was always really inspiring to me. She was someone I always hoped I could be like.

Zuko, as you said, was just amazing character developement. I loved him, and Iroh, almost immediately. You just knew that Zuko wasn't as bad as he was made out to be. He was a really sympathetic character. That scene when Aang asks him if he thought they might have been friends if things were different... It breaks my heart each time.

He really is so awkward! :D "...that's rough, buddy."

Honestly, it's difficult to find a character that I don't like on that show. I mean, obviously the Fire Lord, but even he was written great. And I know we shouldn't, but I love Azula. Kind of like the same way I love Bellatrix. They're horrible, but I can't help but to love their characters.

For ships, I was totally on board with Katara and Jet for a while, to be honest. But then I really got on board the Kataang ship. It was the Cave of Two Lovers that did it for me. Ugh and when Azula kills Aang, the look on Katara's face as she's taking him out of there... and then when she brings him back with the Spirit Water. *sobs*

YES! I'm all for Zuko and fountain date girl!

LoK

I did the same during the finale! I was so stoked, because I was all for it during most of book 3 and all of book 4. I couldn't believe it was actually made canon!

In the beginning I actually like Korra and Bolin. I didn't like Mako with Korra. I never did, to be honest. There was a small moment when I was shipping Korra and Iroh (the grandson). But that didn't last long and then I was on the Korrasami ship for the rest of the ride.

Favorite episodes:

Yours are literally all of mine! Plus I like The Avatar and The Firelord alot. The one about Roku when he was young. That's probably my number 1 favorite.

I hear you. This and Potter are the two things I can go on, and on, and on, and on about. Thanks for replying! <3

Stella Blue

And I know we shouldn't, but I love Azula. Kind of like the same way I love Bellatrix. They're horrible, but I can't help but to love their characters.

I love Azula. I think she's actually pretty different from Bellatrix as in I think with Azula, she's trying so hard to be what she thinks she ought to be, especially to make her father proud (and ultimately fails.) Whereas in my mind at least, Bellatrix kind of lives by her own rules.

YES! I'm all for Zuko and fountain date girl!

I kind of want to write a fic about them tbh

LoK

I did the same during the finale! I was so stoked, because I was all for it during most of book 3 and all of book 4. I couldn't believe it was actually made canon!

YES :D Ever since Korra and Asami went driving in Asami's car in the first episode of season 3 and were TOTALLY flirting I was just like "This needs to be a ship. I ship it." but despite all the signs, I didn't think the show creators would actually go through with it which was why the finale was so amazing! (I never liked Mako/Korra either. They just didn't work together.)

Plus I like The Avatar and The Firelord alot. The one about Roku when he was young. That's probably my number 1 favorite.
ah that one is so good too. The ones with all the backstory tend to be really strong.

MuggleMaybe

I AM SO HERE FOR THIS THREAD. Admittedly, I'm pretty much only a fan of TLA, not so much LoK, but I've heard I should give Korra another chance. It's on my to-do list ;)

I love Azula. I think she's actually pretty different from Bellatrix as in I think with Azula, she's trying so hard to be what she thinks she ought to be, especially to make her father proud (and ultimately fails.) Whereas in my mind at least, Bellatrix kind of lives by her own rules.

^^GREAT observation, Kristin! I'd never thought about it before, but I agree.

Who are your favorite characters? Ummm... Can I say everyone? Number one, if I must decide, would have to be Iroh. He is just AWESOME. I have a huge soft spot for Sokka because he makes me laugh, and I think he's frequently underestimated but he always proves himself. I agree with everyone that Zuko is an incredibly well developed character, too.

Are you team Kataang or Zutara? Zutara. She and Aang together is weird for me, while I think she has chemistry potential with Zuko. Plus,

I dislike Zuko with May. (May's awesome, but they're both so dreary. There's no balance!)

What is your favorite episode(s)? Is it bad that I actually have the episode titles memorized? haha. In season one, 'The Blue Spirit' is 100% my favorite. In season two, 'The Blind Bandit', 'Zuko Alone' and basically all the episodes in Ba Sing Se. And in season three, 'Sokka's Master' (does anyone else think that guy is kinda hot? No? *hides*), 'The Avatar and the Fire Lord', 'The Boiling Rock' and OBVIOUSLY... 'THE EMBER ISLAND PLAYERS'. Honestly, by season three ALL the episodes are stellar.

Man, I just realized all over again how insanely good this show is. <3 <3 <3

Favorite things Zuko's awkwardness, Toph's awesomeness, "Sparky Sparky Bomb Man," all the crazy animals, Azula's sass, IROH,

when May and Tai Lee side against Azula

, Aang's compassion <3 <3 <3 (PUFF PROTAGONIST FTW!!!!) And basically everything.

I could go on for hours..........

EDIT

I forgot to say, I definitely ship Zuko with the fountain girl, too! haha! :D

Stella Blue
Number one, if I must decide, would have to be Iroh. He is just AWESOME.
I can't believe I left out Iroh from my original post. He is just the best and I love him.

I dislike Zuko with May. (May's awesome, but they're both so dreary. There's no balance!)
Agreeeeed. They're too similar in the wrong ways.

In season one, 'The Blue Spirit' is 100% my favorite.
Aah, I forgot about this one but yeah this is definitely one of my faves too. Love it.

And in season three, 'Sokka's Master' (does anyone else think that guy is kinda hot? No? *hides*)
Haha. Ngl I felt the same about June the bounty hunter. ... *crickets*

I forgot to say, I definitely ship Zuko with the fountain girl, too! haha! :D

YESSS

is this a popular ship outside of like, the three of us?

MegGonagall
Number one, if I must decide, would have to be Iroh. He is just AWESOME.

I can't believe I left out Iroh from my original post. He is just the best and I love him.

Iroh! Yes! I absolutely adore him and was so excited to see him appear on LoK as well.

Agreeeeed. They're too similar in the wrong ways.

See I kind of have to disagree here. Yeah, they are similar, but people don't always have to be opposites. I think they bring out the best in each other. They make the other happy, when both of them have been miserable for so long. The only times you really see either of them genuinely smile was when they were with each other. And I like that May finally got her childhood crush in the end.

And in season three, 'Sokka's Master' (does anyone else think that guy is kinda hot? No? *hides*)

Haha. Ngl I felt the same about June the bounty hunter. ... *crickets*

Yes to both of these! ❤️

YESSS

is this a popular ship outside of like, the three of us?

I don't know, but I'd love to read a fic about them. :)

• Like 1

FireOpal

I don't really have time to post in this thread - though I love AtLA, so I'll be back! - but I just wanted to say that I really like Zuko/fountain girl too! : ) (Though Zuko/Mai is my main ship...)

Aphoride

YES AVATAR :D I loved this so much when I first watched it and it's one of those shows which I can never help going back to again and again and again...

Who are your favorite characters?

It won't surprise anyone that my favourite was always Azula :P I do love Zuko, though, and I have a soft spot for Aang and his ridiculous, naive, sweet, child-wisdom. And Sokka. That sarcasm alone is just. so. good.

Are you team Kataang or Zutara?

I was always team Kataang, tbh. I loved the development of the Zutara friendship, but I really didn't like the idea of them being in a relationship. And I did love the whole are-we-are-we-not kinda thing with Zuko and Mai, and the conflict that gives both of their characters :)

Also, are you team Korra/Mako or Korrasami?

Ooooh, Korrasami all the way. I actually knew about the Korrasami ship by the time I watched LoK, so I was waiting for it all the way through :P Korra/Mako never stood a chance, sadly :P

What is your favorite episode(s)?

Oh god, it's been a while since I watched either... I love the one where Sokka gets kinda drunk off the weird fruit in the desert, haha, and the one where Zuko finally confronts his father.

Also, on a note of weird, not-sure-if-they're-popular ships, I've always had a soft spot for Sokka/Azula, for many reasons :P

(I'm alone on that one, aren't I? :P)

Recent Badges

MegGonagall
I love the one where Sokka gets kinda drunk off the weird fruit in the desert, haha,

Haha! That one is so funny! "A giant mushroom... MAYBE IT'S FRIENDLY!!" :rotflol:

Also, on a note of weird, not-sure-if-they're-popular ships, I've always had a soft spot for Sokka/Azula, for many reasons

Don't worry, I was kind of for Sokka/Toph for a while. :P

MuggleMaybe

I've been rewatching this show and CAN WE TALK ABOUT SORTING?

And especially, sorting SOKKA.

He's kind of a goof, typecast, from one angle, as the comic relief. The show occasionally makes a point of poking at his intellect and otherwise dismissing him. For example, in The Fortuneteller, Madame Wu says his "future is full of struggle and anguish. Most of it, self-inflicted." And in The Library, Wan Shi Tao flat out says "You're not very bright, are you?"

I think the interaction with Wan Shi Tao is a good example of why I strongly feel that Sokka is a Ravenclaw. Wan Shi Tao wants them all to contribute something to the library. Katara has the waterbending scroll. The archeologist guy has a book. Aang has his own wanted poster. Sokka doesn't have any printed material, so he ties a specialized knot and the owl reluctantly accepts it. Again, the show is poking fun at Sokka. BUT, the truth is, Sokka is the only one who actually contributed a piece of his own knowledge. So, while intelligence is not necessarily the defining Ravenclaw trait, I think this scene shows that Sokka is WAY more intelligent than the other characters generally admit.

I think there are different types of Ravenclaws, and while the espoused ideal is "knowledge for knowledge's sake," there's also a side of Ravenclaw that is about understanding how things fit together, of inventing rather than learning predetermined facts. And Sokka is always inventing. This is most obvious in season three when he invents the air balloon, and the other inventions he works on at the northern air temple. But it happens a lot. He comes up with so many ideas throughout the series that in The Drill, Aang literally refers to him as "the idea guy".

His talent for this also manifests in other ways, that might be less obvious but nevertheless show his creative intellect. His skill at sword fighting comes primarily from his inventiveness in using his surroundings rather than physical strength. And while his jokes may be silly at times, they also show him connecting different ideas, and I think enjoying connecting disparate ideas is very truly intellectual, and very truly Ravenclaw.

He is also very clear headed and logical, which I might add is super important because Katara is so passion-fueled. His invasion plans are pretty impressive, and even though his courage in those situations is amazing, he is more focused on creating a logical plan and seeing it through. (And he HATES when people disregard logic, as evidenced in The Fortuneteller.)

I love Sokka so much and I really wish the other characters were a little more vocal about their appreciation for his intelligence and inventiveness in helping them all survive the series. So, YAY FOR RAVENCLAW SOKKA!

• Like 1

Renacerá

I just finally watched Avatar and Korra for the first time in the last six weeks or so! AHHHH!

Okay, I have so many feelings. Someone please talk to me about them.

1. Uncle Iroh is the best secondary character of all time, ever, and I love him so much that I get emotional just thinking about how he exists. :wub: 
  2. Zuko is the best main character in both Avatar and Korra. "Zuko Alone" kills me. Zuko's speech to the frog kills me. "Why am I so bad at being good?" kills me. Just...:wub: :wub: :wub:
  3. Zuko/Mai foreverrrrr. They are perfect together. They're both so moody (even Zuko after switching sides is still pretty moody)! And that makes them great together. So many amazing Zuko/Mai quotes: "You look so beautiful when you're hating everything." "I don't-hate you too." "Saving the guy who dumped me!" AHHH. I just love them.
  4. Katara/No One. Not Zutara. Not Aang. She's wayyyy too good for Aang. She should've held out for someone better. But her and Aang's kids are great at least.
  5. Appa is my baby and I love him.

Korra:

1. Korrasami forever. Literally, having bisexual women as main characters was the happiest moment of my TV-watching life. I felt so represented. :hearteyes:
  2. The season 3 villains are so cool! Also, Kuvira.
  3. Varrick is such a weirdo, but he adds everything to the show and he brings me so much joy.
  4. This cast of characters is phenomenal.
  5. Pabu is life.

Okay, that's it for now. *goes to rewatch every episode*

• Like 1

greisful

I am a hardcore Kataang shipper forever and always and I'll fight anyone who says the two of them shouldn't have been together. I came to this fandom a little later than most people but like everyone I was pretty hooked the moment I started watching it, I even managed to suck my brother into watching it with me and now he's a hardcore fan as well it's great.

I loved everything about the series, the characters, the adventures, the character development it was all so great and as is the case with probably everyone, I have a special place in my heart for Uncle Iroh, he's the father that everyone deserves. The episode of him having tea singing that song about the soldier boy that didn't come home I was an emotional mess it was so bad I couldn't stop crying.

I watched Legend of Korra too and I really loved it, it was really good but I still really loved the Last Airbender more tbh. Korra was honestly such a strong female character and can we talk about her character design, SHE HAD SO MUCH MUSCLE I LOVE IT. I think seasons 3 and 4 were definitely the strongest out of the 4 and the content in it was a lot better I guess you could say, like it was some heavy stuff for a kid's show but I really enjoyed it and just like pretty much everyone else, the Korrasami at the very end had me shook but I fully support it, those two would've made an unstoppable team.

just.a.willow.tree
2 hours ago, greisful said:

I came to this fandom a little later than most people but like everyone I was pretty hooked the moment I started watching it

Same as you :P The first time I watched ATLA was less than a year ago, in my junior year of high school, but I loved it so much that I just binge-watched the whole thing over a week. The animation and storyline are both incredible, and it's amazing that it holds up so well, even after... (*Googles the release date*) ...more than 12 years oml.

I never was a huge fan of Zutara. Or, come to think of it, Kataang. I think the ship that worked best for me was Zuko/Mai. (Judging how no one's brought them up yet, I'm going to assume this is an unpopular opinion :P) My reasoning for this was pretty simple: Zuko is my favorite male character, and Mai is my favorite female character. (Girl deserved more screentime.) If I like both, then why can't they like each other? Haha. I also thought their personalities were hilarious together. The only thing I didn't like was how quickly the writers just threw them into the story. I began watching the third season and basically fell out of my chair when they began kissing, out of the blue.

Mostly I didn't like how the writers handled the romances. Aang is twelve. He is a baby. I meet with twelve-year-olds on the daily, and they are so young that their cheeks are still squishy. Not nearly old enough for a serious relationship. Sokka's were alright. Unnecessary, but alright. At least his romance gave us this glorious exchange:

Sokka: My first girlfriend turned into the moon.
Zuko: ... That's rough, buddy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

abhorsen.

I only got into Avatar: TLA a few years ago, so you guys are definitely not alone!

Funny story, though: when I was a freshman in college, some of my friends binge-watched A:TLA on netflix. They watched it on a laptop (this was pre-chromecast/firestick), and since I was often in the room, I heard quite a lot of it. I had no clue what was going on in the show and I didn't know what anyone looked like, but I actively liked one character a lot and got annoyed whenever my friends or anyone on the show badmouthed him. When I properly watched A:TLA several years later, I realized that 1) his name was Zuko and he had a backstory and 2) he was still my favorite character. :roflol:

tl;dr ZUKO FTW. I love "that's rough, buddy" so much, and field trips with Zuko are the best field trips other than possibly field trips with Steve Harrington. :roflol:

I liked Mai, and I liked them as a couple. I was annoyed that Zutara was never resolved, though - I didn't really ship it, but they left a lot of threads hanging in a way that felt unsatisfying. I didn't actually want them to end up together, really, I just wanted some resolution rather than "it never happened" hand-waving.

Speaking of unpopular opinions, though:

I think that LoK is a better show than TLA. There's more depth and ambiguity overall, I love Korra's relationship arc over the last couple seasons and felt like there was way more chemistry there than there ever was between Katara and Aang, and I like the core members of her group much better than the core members of Aang's group overall. I loved Zuko to pieces, but he was a latecomer to Aang's actual group, even if he was in the show. Of the four main members of the group (Aang, Katara, Sokka, and Toph), Sokka was the only one who never annoyed me, and I wanted to wring Aang's neck half the time (partially because airbending and airbenders are just The Worst - words cannot express how much I hated Zaheer in LoK). I had literally zero mixed feelings about Korra or Asami (:hearteyes:), I liked Bolin, and unlike a lot people, I (mostly) liked Mako. I still like TLA, but LoK was better, IMO.

• Like 1

forever_dreaming

I haaaad to roll in here.

So my family sorta made it a tradition to watch A:TLA but we only started in the 3rd season so I watched the finale first in 2008, and then was like wow I don’t know what’s going but this is COOL so a couple years later I went back and rewatched and now I rewatch it all the time. 

Aside from the character development things you all mentioned, I always loved loved loved the music. I still listen to the soundtracks now when I’m writing, it’s very inspiring! Also because I have special interest in Asian cultures, in recent years I’ve grown interested in the world building too, and I found some stuff that I’ll share later :) 

Also, re: Zuko—He was easily my favorite character. Aside from his genuine character growth and awesome redemption arc, I really liked that the show didn’t shy away from him facing his abusers, Azula and Ozai. 

I didn’t like Ozai not because he was the principal evil character but because he felt like the only main character in the show who was really one-dimensional, like, irrefutably evil. I haven’t watched LoK yet but I’ve heard the villains are infinitely more complex, which is something I look forward too :) 

I love Iroh. <3 

just.a.willow.tree
8 hours ago, abhorsen. said:

I was annoyed that Zutara was never resolved, though - I didn't really ship it, but they left a lot of threads hanging in a way that felt unsatisfying.

Oh, I never even realized that Zutara was hinted at in canon. I always thought it was just a fan-created ship. Whoops, I think it's time for a rewatch :P

4 hours ago, forever_dreaming said:

I didn’t like Ozai not because he was the principal evil character but because he felt like the only main character in the show who was really one-dimensional, like, irrefutably evil. I haven’t watched LoK yet but I’ve heard the villains are infinitely more complex, which is something I look forward to

That's so true! Azula is ten times the villain Ozai could ever hope to be. Can you believe she's only fourteen in the story? That's just amazing. She's actually one of my favorite characters, just because of how well-written her character is, even if she's twisted af.

I want to watch LoK for the Korra/Asami ship, but I'm so, so scared to have to wade through more weird romances to get there, haha.

Renacerá
13 hours ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

I never was a huge fan of Zutara. Or, come to think of it, Kataang. I think the ship that worked best for me was Zuko/Mai. (Judging how no one's brought them up yet, I'm going to assume this is an unpopular opinion :P) My reasoning for this was pretty simple: Zuko is my favorite male character, and Mai is my favorite female character. (Girl deserved more screentime.) If I like both, then why can't they like each other? Haha. I also thought their personalities were hilarious together. The only thing I didn't like was how quickly the writers just threw them into the story. I began watching the third season and basically fell out of my chair when they began kissing, out of the blue.

Mostly I didn't like how the writers handled the romances. Aang is twelve. He is a baby. I meet with twelve-year-olds on the daily, and they are so young that their cheeks are still squishy. Not nearly old enough for a serious relationship. Sokka's were alright. Unnecessary, but alright. At least his romance gave us this glorious exchange:

Sokka: My first girlfriend turned into the moon.
Zuko: ... That's rough, buddy.

Omg, yessss! Zuko/Mai is life. They're fantastic together.

But seriously, these characters are children. Why would Aang be so into Katara at literally age 12? Bleh.

Also, that exchange is flawless. :D

Edited by Renacerá
  • Like 1

Stella Blue
9 hours ago, abhorsen. said:

field trips with Zuko are the best field trips other than possibly field trips with Steve Harrington. :roflol:

:roflol: xD  HAHAHA yes omg.

I think that LoK is a better show than TLA. There's more depth and ambiguity overall, I love Korra's relationship arc over the last couple seasons and felt like there was way more chemistry there than there ever was between Katara and Aang, and I like the core members of her group much better than the core members of Aang's group overall. I loved Zuko to pieces, but he was a latecomer to Aang's actual group, even if he was in the show. Of the four main members of the group (Aang, Katara, Sokka, and Toph), Sokka was the only one who never annoyed me, and I wanted to wring Aang's neck half the time (partially because airbending and airbenders are just The Worst - words cannot express how much I hated Zaheer in LoK). I had literally zero mixed feelings about Korra or Asami (:hearteyes:), I liked Bolin, and unlike a lot people, I (mostly) liked Mako. I still like TLA, but LoK was better, IMO.

I totally agree with you on several points of this - Korra's arc over the last two seasons was amazing  and Korrasami always felt so natural, as opposed to Kataang in TLA which just felt forced. Also yes Aang could be really obnoxious and frustrating! :P  I do think that in terms of overall storytelling, TLA was done much better, but that's because the whole thing was planned out from the start, whereas with LoK I  remember there was some weird thing going on with Nickelodeon which I think really impacted the storytelling and rushed some things, not to mention that they had fewer episodes to develop the story - but given that, they did go into a lot of important issues pretty deep (especially for a kids' show) and did it really well. I thought it was a bolder story and of course I really appreciated having a female character as the protagonist. But overall, I think all the seasons of ATLA were strong, but LoK had some ups and downs. I wasn't a huge fan of S2 because of the love triangle nonsense, Unalaq being a boring villain, and the rushed conclusion to that season's big threat. But the last two seasons made up for it as they were amaaaazing.

tldr: I love both shows and each of them did some things better than the other.

6 hours ago, forever_dreaming said:

I didn’t like Ozai not because he was the principal evil character but because he felt like the only main character in the show who was really one-dimensional, like, irrefutably evil. I haven’t watched LoK yet but I’ve heard the villains are infinitely more complex, which is something I look forward too :) 

Ozai is kind of a stereotypical villain, yeah. Honestly the most interesting thing about him is just that he is voiced by Luke Skywalker :P (Mark Hamill)

The villains (particularly the later season ones) in LoK are great.

1 hour ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

That's so true! Azula is ten times the villain Ozai could ever hope to be. Can you believe she's only fourteen in the story? That's just amazing. She's actually one of my favorite characters, just because of how well-written her character is, even if she's twisted af.

I want to watch LoK for the Korra/Asami ship, but I'm so, so scared to have to wade through more weird romances to get there, haha.

I really liked Azula too. I think it's because she just tries SO hard and really wants to make her father proud, and is really humanized by her fear of failure (which mostly just comes out at the end). Despite her attacking my favorite character Zuko, I felt bad for her at the end because she's become so twisted and obsessed and ultimately loses everything when she fails.

I also love her because of her aggressive beach volleyball tactics xD 

It's only season 2 that has annoying romance plots, really :P Korrasami is so worth it in the end :hearteyes: You should watch.  :P 

12 minutes ago, Renacerá said:

But seriously, these characters are children. Why would Aang be so into Katara at literally age 12? Bleh.

Right?!? and beyond that, why would they stay together? Most 'relationships' at that age last like, two weeks, at most. xD 

Edited by Stella Blue

MegGonagall
2 hours ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

Oh, I never even realized that Zutara was hinted at in canon. I always thought it was just a fan-created ship. Whoops, I think it's time for a rewatch :P

I've been binge watching again for the first time in forever, and it was a little bit. Like how June (the woman who owned the shirshu) kept calling her Zuko's girlfriend. And when they met her again after Zuko joined the group, she was like, "I see you made up with your girlfriend." and both of the screamed, "I'm/She's not my/his girlfriend!" Then the whole Ember Island play thing, the play hinted to it, and Aang got mad. And the biggy was in Ba Sing Se, when they had their moment, and she almost used the water from the Spirit Oasis. It was never overly hinted at, but it was sort of there. I'm not a Zutara shipper at all, but it was kinda unresolved. 

I got into the show because of my brothers. They watched it, but I would make fun of them for watching anime. Because I was a late teen, and thought I was too cool for that nerdy stuff. (scoffs at my younger self). Then one day I was home sick, probably around 2006, and the episode The Cave of Two Lovers came on brand new, and I kind of fell in love. So I only really missed the first book as it was first airing, and the beginning of the second book, but from them on I was hooked. I remember watching, and when Zuko and Iroh would be on, I asked my brothers, "so they're the bad guys? I'm not supposed to like them, right? But I like them." And they just laughed at me. Iroh and Zuko are who made me fall in love with the show. And Sokka, too. Actually, I really don't have a character in that show that I don't like. I even love Azula, and all her insanity. 

As far as ships go, the romance part was never the thing that really drew me to the show. I didn't care who ended up with who or any of that. Actually, that's kind of a lie, I lowkey shipped Sokka and Toph for a bit. Like later in their lives, I thought it would be perfect if they ended up together. But, I always just loved the story telling, and the world, and the history that the creators came up with. It was so unlike anything I've ever seen before. Even to this day, there's nothing that really compares with it. For a "kids" show, it's pretty deep. And it's made me cry as much as it's made me laugh. 

I'm definitely more partial to AtLA than LoK, but I loved Korra, too.

Spoiler

And Korrasami is my non-Potter otp. I might have squealed when they held hands before entering the Spirit World together. The whole last two books, I kept thinking, "are they doing this? Nah, they can't be doing this. It's Nickelodeon, they wouldn't do it, would they?" And then it happened, and I was so happy.

But story-line wise, I feel like Avatar had the better overall story than Korra. Korra felt a little jumbled, rushed and disonnected to me at times. But I still love it more than most other shows I've watched. 

*Runs off to finish binging* (Next episode I'm on is actually That's rough, buddy. hahaha)

*Edit* I just saw there are two new posts since I started writing. Yay for all the Avatar/Korra love! 

Edited by MegGonagall

abhorsen.

Re: Zutara - Everything Meg said. IIRC, didn't he almost die for her in the last episode of TLA, too, after Azula decided that the best way to screw him up was attacking some chick who was friends with the Avatar and who he was in a cave with that one time? It just felt like it was hinted at pretty strongly in a few different places, and while I knew Katara was going to end up with Aang*, I was kind of waiting for some resolution to that tension between Katara and Zuko that I don't really see how it could have been accidental... but it just never happened. It's not a ship I'm super invested in or going down with, it's just weird to introduce it and then change it?

*Ughhh Kataang. I'm not going down with Zutara, but I really dislike Kataang. Like Emily said - they are children. Aang is twelve. The strength of his feelings for Katara is a little weird, and I find her returning those feelings to be even weirder. She's - what, fourteen? Fifteen? It's just a weird age gap, and Aang is weirdly possessive of her and jealous of Zuko at a few points and it's kind of unhealthy, and I just... she ends up coming off as a prize Aang gets for saving the world, and while Katara is not my favorite character, she doesn't deserve that.

I think the way I feel about Kataang and Zutara is kind of like "you don't have to go home, but you can't stay here." I don't necessarily ship Zutara (especially since I like Mai and I like her and Zuko together), but Kataang just annoys me.

Edited by abhorsen.
I sometimes forget that some words are curse words

MegGonagall
6 minutes ago, abhorsen. said:

Re: Zutara - Everything Meg said. IIRC, didn't he almost die for her in the last episode of TLA, too, after Azula decided that the best way to CheezIt him up was attacking some chick who was friends with the Avatar and who he was in a cave with that one time?

*slaps head* How did I forget about that?? It was pretty odd that Azula would target her in front of Zuko, and for Zuko to risk his life to save hers. I mean, it could have just been part of his redemtion arc, that he now cared more for others than himself. But, idk. I don't ship them either, but it seemed pretty hinted at. 

8 minutes ago, abhorsen. said:

She's - what, fourteen? Fifteen?

I think the ages were: 

Aang - 12

Toph - 12

Katara - 14

Azula - 15

Mai - 15

Ty Lee - 15

Suki - 16

Sokka - 16

Zuko - 16

So yeah. I agree it was a little too young for Aang and Katara. But then, also when you think of it, Yue was announced to be "of marrying age," on her 16th birthday. So I think the universe it was set in was more like olden times. When people married at 16 years old. So maybe that's why they had their relationship start at 12 and 14? I don't know. I agree it was young. 

just.a.willow.tree
5 hours ago, MegGonagall said:

I've been binge watching again for the first time in forever, and it was a little bit. Like how June (the woman who owned the shirshu) kept calling her Zuko's girlfriend. And when they met her again after Zuko joined the group, she was like, "I see you made up with your girlfriend." and both of the screamed, "I'm/She's not my/his girlfriend!" Then the whole Ember Island play thing, the play hinted to it, and Aang got mad. And the biggy was in Ba Sing Se, when they had their moment, and she almost used the water from the Spirit Oasis

+

5 hours ago, abhorsen. said:

IIRC, didn't he almost die for her in the last episode of TLA, too, after Azula decided that the best way to screw him up was attacking some chick who was friends with the Avatar and who he was in a cave with that one time?

Oh, yeah, I remember those incidents. I never thought too much of it (possibly because I just refused to ship Zutara at the time lol) and I always considered those incidents where the writers just wanted the two to be good friends but without knowing how to write male/female teenage friendships without adding in some weird tension. I feel that sort of thing happens a lot in movies and shows. But yeah, I can definitely see the tension and how they never really addressed how to resolve it.

5 hours ago, MegGonagall said:

So I think the universe it was set in was more like olden times.

Yeah, I think that was the case. I still think that Aang/Katara was weird. :P The writers shouldn't even have included it.

Renacerá
6 hours ago, abhorsen. said:

Re: Zutara - Everything Meg said. IIRC, didn't he almost die for her in the last episode of TLA, too, after Azula decided that the best way to screw him up was attacking some chick who was friends with the Avatar and who he was in a cave with that one time? It just felt like it was hinted at pretty strongly in a few different places, and while I knew Katara was going to end up with Aang*, I was kind of waiting for some resolution to that tension between Katara and Zuko that I don't really see how it could have been accidental... but it just never happened. It's not a ship I'm super invested in or going down with, it's just weird to introduce it and then change it?

*Ughhh Kataang. I'm not going down with Zutara, but I really dislike Kataang. Like Emily said - they are children. Aang is twelve. The strength of his feelings for Katara is a little weird, and I find her returning those feelings to be even weirder. She's - what, fourteen? Fifteen? It's just a weird age gap, and Aang is weirdly possessive of her and jealous of Zuko at a few points and it's kind of unhealthy, and I just... she ends up coming off as a prize Aang gets for saving the world, and while Katara is not my favorite character, she doesn't deserve that.

I think the way I feel about Kataang and Zutara is kind of like "you don't have to go home, but you can't stay here." I don't necessarily ship Zutara (especially since I like Mai and I like her and Zuko together), but Kataang just annoys me.

I actually didn't feel like I needed any resolution about Zutara. I didn't even feel like there was tension between them in a ~relationship way~. I felt it was more: they're close to the same age and both such incredible benders, opposite elements, etc. And there's tension there for that. But I didn't want them to have any sort of relationship.

I will go down on the Zuko/Mai ship. I feel like they're so incredible together. They understand each other and have been through so much. The "saving the jerk who dumped me" part is so fabulous. And I literally scream with happiness at, "I love Zuko more than I fear you."

Also, Katara is such a strong character! I loved so much about her, so she deserves SO MUCH BETTER than Aang. (See below.) 

35 minutes ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

Yeah, I think that was the case. I still think that Aang/Katara was weird. :P The writers shouldn't even have included it.

Aang/Katara was weird and gross, and the comics (which are mostly fantastic) just make it worse. They call each other "sweetie" constantly and it's vomit-inducing.

just.a.willow.tree
8 minutes ago, Renacerá said:

The "saving the jerk who dumped me" part is so fabulous. And I literally scream with happiness at, "I love Zuko more than I fear you."

I LOVE THAT SCENE. I'VE REWATCHED THAT SCENE LIKE 35830510 TIMES. MAI IS SO BADASS I LOVE HER

• Like 2