HPFanficTalk
  • Announcements

• abhorsen.

January Bulletin   12/31/2017

January's bulletin is up! It includes information about recent staff/prefect bumps, the upcoming FROGS, some special awards, and more! You can check it out +here.
nott theodore

The Fairy Tale Challenge | Deadline: 1 March 2018

Challenge Name: The Fairy Tale Challenge

Challenge Deadline: 1st March 2018

Accepted Fandom(s): Harry Potter, original fiction *

Accepted Sites: HPFT

Accepted Ratings: A to M

Accepted Length: one-shots or short stories/short story collections of up to 10,000 words

Challenge Details: 

We've all grown up with fairy tales - magic and dragons and castles and princesses and knights.  The aim of this challenge is simple: take a traditional fairy tale and use it as inspiration for your own story.  You can use the fairy tale however you want in your own story, whether you want to write a straight adaptation of it, give me a feminist version of what exactly that princess locked in the tower does, give me the villain's back story... anything!  If you're unsure about what is allowed within the parameters of this challenge, just ask.

When you sign up to this challenge, let me know which fairy tale you're going to be using - or include it somewhere in the story if you haven't quite decided when you sign up.  There's no limit on the number of people who can use the same fairy tale, but I will be looking at how creatively you've used the tale in your own story when I'm judging, so I want to keep track of who's using what.  There are obviously plenty of well-known Western fairy tales, and you can use the original versions of these (e.g. Grimms' fairy tales, or Hans Christian Andersen's versions) or fairy tales from other parts of the world.  Just tell me what it is so I can read up on it before judging.

Note: Disney versions of fairy tales will not be allowed for this challenge, because of the strict copyright restrictions.  Please use an original version of the fairy tale or one that's out of copyright for inspiration rather than characters/names/songs etc. which are specifically found in the Disney versions.  For example, the Disney film Frozen is inspired by The Snow Queen.  Disney own the copyright to Frozen, and the characters (whose names have been changed) are trademarked, so you can't use them.  You can, however, use the original version of The Snow Queen for your story inspiration, as this is in the public domain.  If you're unsure about whether something violates copyright, please check with the validators - or better, just avoid it :P 

Other than that, the main goal of this challenge is to be creative and have fun with it!  I can't wait to see what you come up with!

* If you want to write a story for this challenge that is in a different fandom, don't be afraid to ask!  I'm familiar with several other fandoms and I'll probably say yes anyway, as long as you're aware that I won't necessarily be able to judge the characterisation and so on as well as I would for other fandoms.

Rules

- Must be posted to the HPFT archives (you can post to other sites but I'll only judge entries here)

- Must follow site rules and guidelines

- Must include "For nott theodore's Fairy Tale Challenge" somewhere in the summary

- If you're writing a short story, please have at least 2 chapters up before the deadline

- No pre-written stories allowed

- Multiple entries and combining this story with other challenges is allowed

Rewards:

I will be reviewing each entry - although please note that depending on how many entries I have, I may not have time to review each chapter of a multi-chapter entry.

Third place: 2 reviews on a story of your choice, and a link to the story in my signature for 1 month

Second place: 4 reviews on a story of your choice, and a link to the story in my signature for 1 month

First place: 6 reviews on a story of your choice, and a link to the story in my signature for 1 month

So sign up and tell me your own once upon a times and happily (or not so happily) ever afters!  

• Like 3

Ohhh nice

Maybe I'll try something OF for this? Can you give me a western story to mull over?

Spoiler: it's gonna be gay

• Like 1

You have destroyed all my plans for writing this year and I can't decide if I'm excited or furious and I'm in :P:P

Imma be, er, using lots of fairy stories, if that's okay - try to get Sweetheart Tom to work (assuming that previous attempted stories are allowed, since imma scrap pretty much all of my previous writing for it, so...??) :P

I had an idea that jumped out at me as soon as I read this.

I would like to sign up and my fairy tale will be Puss In Boots.

Posted (edited)

I want in! I'm going to try to do something with Grimm's The Three Army Surgeons but if that gets too gory/I can't find a workaround, I'd like to use The Dead Mother (W.R.S. Ralston) as a backup. [Either will most probably be OF.]

Edited by Rumpelstiltskin

Posted (edited)

Yay!!  People!

1 hour ago, Dojh167 said:

Ohhh nice

Maybe I'll try something OF for this? Can you give me a western story to mull over?

Spoiler: it's gonna be gay

I should say that you don't have to ask for a prompt for this, but I do have a list of about 40 of the best known Western fairy tales for people to choose from.  How does Sleeping Beauty sound for you?  Feel free to change or ask for a different story if it doesn't work!

1 hour ago, Aphoride said:

You have destroyed all my plans for writing this year and I can't decide if I'm excited or furious and I'm in :P:P

Imma be, er, using lots of fairy stories, if that's okay - try to get Sweetheart Tom to work (assuming that previous attempted stories are allowed, since imma scrap pretty much all of my previous writing for it, so...??) :P

Previous attempts at stories are definitely allowed, just not pre-writtens.  But if you're changing most of it then that's fine - and so is multiple fairy tales!

24 minutes ago, Simplicius said:

I had an idea that jumped out at me as soon as I read this.

I would like to sign up and my fairy tale will be Puss In Boots.

That's fantastic!  And since I haven't seen you around before, welcome to the forums :hug:

18 minutes ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

Oh, I love fairytales! In with "The Goose Girl."

Yay!  I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Edit: adding in Rumpels!  Either of those work - I hope you find that one inspires you!

Just to keep things simple, I'm going to assume everyone is a maybe until you finish a story :)

Participants

Dojh167 - Sleeping Beauty

Aphoride - various tales

Simplicius - Puss in Boots

just.a.willow.tree - The Goose Girl

Rumpelstiltskin - The Three Army Surgeons (Grimm) or The Dead Mother (Ralston)

Edited by nott theodore

Okay, I don't know if I will find the time to actually write this, but I've had an idea kicking around for something for a while, and it fits this perfectly.  Before I sign up though, I have to ask if you will accept Merlin fanfiction?

If you do, then I'm in and my story is Beauty and the Beast and the fandom is Merlin.

6 hours ago, 1917farmgirl said:

Okay, I don't know if I will find the time to actually write this, but I've had an idea kicking around for something for a while, and it fits this perfectly.  Before I sign up though, I have to ask if you will accept Merlin fanfiction?

If you do, then I'm in and my story is Beauty and the Beast and the fandom is Merlin.

Merlin fanfiction is fine! I've watched all of that series a couple of times so you should be good :)

47 minutes ago, TidalDragon said:

I'm going to try this with "The Nightingale" by Hans Christian Andersen.

Excellent!

Participants

Aphoride - various tales

1917farmgirl - Beauty and the Beast (Merlin fic)

TidalDragon - The Nightingale

I'm maybe for two (or more...) entries:

1 "Reynardine (werefox)" using werewolf (for Bill/Fleur, I can't decide yet)  instead of werefox maybe. 

2 "Tam Lin" for Bellatrix Lestrange's granddaughter/ Albus Severus Potter 

well dang. I LOVE fairy tales, AND I could write OF for this, AND one of my goals this year is to write more OF.... 

basically, I'm in! :) Not sure which story yet, but I'll let you know.

Can we do an origin story? I have an idea for Jack and the Beanstalk about the origin of the giant, so the fairytale technically won't be the story. If that doesn't fit the criteria, that's okay! :) 

Can I please be a maybe? I'm trying to get back into writing and I think that this will be perfect! I shall look around for an idea :D

Posted (edited)

I'm in and my immediate thought is Hansel and Gretel and some of the next generation characters - possibly Lily and Hugo, though I'm not sure about that yet.

Edited by Margaret
Realised you'd answered a question I was asking in your original post
  • Like 1

On 02/01/2018 at 7:38 AM, StarFeather said:

I'm maybe for two (or more...) entries:

1 "Reynardine (werefox)" using werewolf (for Bill/Fleur, I can't decide yet)  instead of werefox maybe. 

2 "Tam Lin" for Bellatrix Lestrange's granddaughter/ Albus Severus Potter 

I can't wait to see what you do with them!

17 hours ago, MuggleMaybe said:

well dang. I LOVE fairy tales, AND I could write OF for this, AND one of my goals this year is to write more OF.... 

basically, I'm in! :) Not sure which story yet, but I'll let you know.

You definitely can write OF for this! :D happy to help with your writing goals ;)

12 hours ago, victoria_anne said:

Can we do an origin story? I have an idea for Jack and the Beanstalk about the origin of the giant, so the fairytale technically won't be the story. If that doesn't fit the criteria, that's okay! :) 

Origin stories are great! The idea is just that you use the fairy tale for inspiration, and you can interpret that however loosely you want :)

10 hours ago, WalkingDredd said:

Can I please be a maybe? I'm trying to get back into writing and I think that this will be perfect! I shall look around for an idea :D

Of course! I'm counting everyone as a maybe until I've got an entry, so there's no pressure. I hope it helps you get back into writing!

10 hours ago, Margaret said:

I'm in and my immediate thought is Hansel and Gretel and some of the next generation characters - possibly Lily and Hugo, though I'm not sure about that yet.

Brilliant! I'm already really intrigued by this idea :)

Participants

Aphoride - various tales

StarFeather - Reynardine/Tam Lin

MuggleMaybe - undecided

victoria_anne - Jack and the Beanstalk

WalkingDredd - undecided

Margaret - Hansel and Gretel

I'm so excited to see so many of you interested in this challenge, and I can' wait to read what you write! :hug:

Can I be an undecided too?  I'd love to write for this challenge, but I have no plot bunnies yet.  Great idea!

I'm in with OF and Grimm's Snow White and Rose Red. 

• Like 1

More people! Yay!

15 hours ago, Pixileanin said:

Can I be an undecided too?  I'd love to write for this challenge, but I have no plot bunnies yet.  Great idea!

You certainly can! I hope the challenge helps your muse get into gear :)

51 minutes ago, Jen25 said:

I'm in with OF and Grimm's Snow White and Rose Red. 

I can't wait to see what you write for it!

Participants

Aphoride - various tales

MuggleMaybe - undecided

WalkingDredd - undecided

Pixileanin - undecided

Jen25 - Snow White and Rose Red

Hey Sian :) I’m a maybe, undecided on the fairytale (possibly something Eastern though). I’ll let you know when an idea takes hold :) 

On 05/01/2018 at 10:13 PM, forever_dreaming said:

Hey Sian :) I’m a maybe, undecided on the fairytale (possibly something Eastern though). I’ll let you know when an idea takes hold :) 

Hey Shreya!  I hope you find the inspiration to write something, and I look forward to reading it!

On 06/01/2018 at 12:03 PM, Margaret said:

Chapter 1 is up: The House of Sweet Revenge (M)

My first entry!  Yay!

Participants

Aphoride - various tales

MuggleMaybe - undecided

WalkingDredd - undecided

Pixileanin - undecided

Jen25 - Snow White and Rose Red

forever_dreaming - undecided

Entries

Margaret - The House of Sweet Revenge (M)

I am spending some time brainstorming for this challenge, and I am browsing through this awesome fairy tale database from my undergrad university. (Kind of proud of it lol.) Dropping it off in case it might be helpful for anyone else who is still choosing a fairy tale. :)

http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/folktexts.html

[Note to mods: I don't live anywhere near my undergrad university anymore, so no worries on location data ;)]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So I probably won't be able to finish in time, seeing as I'm such a slow writer -- but I do have a couple of weird ideas so I'll give this a try! :D

I'm going to use The Pied Piper of Hamelin.

UA-79258518-1