HPFanficTalk
  • Announcements

• abhorsen.

January Bulletin   12/31/2017

January's bulletin is up! It includes information about recent staff/prefect bumps, the upcoming FROGS, some special awards, and more! You can check it out +here.

Best Minor HP Character Nominations

Do you know of a story or series of stories that explore a minor character in the Harry Potter universe in a particularly thorough or thought-provoking way? Do they make you see that character in a new light? If so, please nominate them! :D (You can view a list of major characters below the spoiler tag - anyone who isn't included in that but does appear in canon is a minor character.)

Spoiler
  • Sirius Black

• Dobby

• Albus Dumbledore

• Dudley Dursley
  • Petunia Dursley
  • Vernon Dursley

• Lily Evans

• Hermione Granger

• Rubeus Hagrid

• Neville Longbottom

• Luna Lovegood

• Remus Lupin
  • Teddy Lupin

• Draco Malfoy
  • Scorpius Malfoy

• Minerva McGonagall

• Peter Pettigrew

• Albus Severus Potter
  • Harry Potter
  • James Potter
  • James Sirius Potter
  • Lily Luna Potter

• Severus Snape

• Nymphadora Tonks

• Voldemort

• Arthur Weasley
  • Bill Weasley
  • Fred Weasley
  • George Weasley
  • Ginny Weasley
  • Molly Weasley
  • Percy Weasley
  • Ron Weasley
  • Rose Weasley
  • Victoire Weasley

The minor character does not need to be the POV character in the story or stories - just a main character. In addition, please note that the series does not need a formal designation on the archive to be used - as long as the character is consistent across multiple stories, it's valid. ;)

If a character jumps to mind, please nominate them here using the following form.

Character Name:

Story/Stories/Series Title:

Link to Story/Stories/Series:

Author:

Reason for Nomination:

You may also use your nomination to second or third a nomination someone else has already made. All nominated authors that receive three nominations (i.e., are seconded and then thirded) will move on to the voting round.

Previous 'Best Minor Character' F.R.O.G.S. winners cannot be nominated for this award. That includes:

Antonin Dolohov in Braided by Diogenissa

Already through to final voting:

Peter Pettigrew in Liar (M) by @Felpata_Lupin

Crookshanks in Hermione's Betrayal by @forever_dreaming

Anthony Goldstein from First Lit, Last Burning by @MuggleMaybe

Roxanne Weasley in Jigsaw (M) by @nott theodore

Olive Hornby in Dear Myrtle by @Stella Blue

Lysander Scamander from Lightning Love (M) by @toomanycurls

Character Name: Peter Pettigrew

Story/Stories/Series Title: Liar

Link to Story/Stories/Series: Here (M)

Author: Felpata_Lupin

Reason for Nomination: Surely everyone is familiar with the brilliance that is Chiara's Marauders by now. Peter is not a very well-liked character, but Chiara writes him in a way that is both so true to the books but also stirs feelings inside you that you didn't think you could ever have for Peter. She allows you to understand his motivations in a story that is simply amazing.

• Thanks 1

Character Name: Anthony Goldstein

Story/Stories/Series Title: First Lit, Last Burning

Link to Story/Stories/Series: M

Author: @MuggleMaybe

Reason for Nomination: This story is absolutely brilliant. Renee just adds layer upon thought-provoking layer here and really delves into Anthony's mind during the events of DH, especially surrounding how he sees his roles in the struggle and whether he feels that he can really make a difference. Words cannot express how much I adore this fic - it's so, so, so good. If you haven't read it, please check it out!

• Thanks 1

Character Name: Roxanne Weasley

Story/Stories/Series Title:Jigsaw (M)

Link to Story/Stories/Series: Jigsaw (M)

Author: nott theodore

Reason for Nomination (spoiler alert from me!! →): The story is told from the first person POV, Roxanne's mind movement. Through her eyes, you can enjoy her POV about her family , I often smile at Sian's descriptions of her parents, Angelina, George and the other relatives (you can meet Auror Harry Potter later!), friends and mystery. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, abhorsen. said:

Reason for Nomination: This story is absolutely brilliant. Renee just adds layer upon thought-provoking layer here and really delves into Anthony's mind during the events of DH, especially surrounding how he sees his roles in the struggle and whether he feels that he can really make a difference. Words cannot express how much I adore this fic - it's so, so, so good. If you haven't read it, please check it out!

Seconded! This story is beautiful! :) 

• Like 2

On 3/1/2018 at 7:00 AM, abhorsen. said:

Thirded! :wub:

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Please note that the seconding of Roxanne Weasley in Jigsaw by @victoria_anne does not count as her nomination was already utilized on Peter Pettigrew in Liar. Said post is now hidden.

Carry on!

Edited by TidalDragon

On 1/2/2018 at 7:21 PM, victoria_anne said:

Reason for Nomination: Surely everyone is familiar with the brilliance that is Chiara's Marauders by now. Peter is not a very well-liked character, but Chiara writes him in a way that is both so true to the books but also stirs feelings inside you that you didn't think you could ever have for Peter. She allows you to understand his motivations in a story that is simply amazing.

Seconded! 

• Thanks 1

On 03/01/2018 at 12:59 PM, StarFeather said:

Reason for Nomination (spoiler alert from me!! →): The story is told from the first person POV, Roxanne's mind movement. Through her eyes, you can enjoy her POV about her family , I often smile at Sian's descriptions of her parents, Angelina, George and the other relatives (you can meet Auror Harry Potter later!), friends and mystery. 

Seconded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Character Name: Crookshanks

Story/Stories/Series Title: Hermione's Betrayal

Link to Story/Stories/Series: T

Author: forever_dreaming

Reason for Nomination: This is such a gem of a story because it's told from the point of view of Crookshanks in the best way possible. Not only does it represent cat behaviour impeccably and accurately, but it's entertaining and, if I may say so, perfect. I really can't imagine that it's easy to write such a realistic story from the point of view of an animal. The story really does revolve around Crookshanks trying to find out what is causing a change in Hermione's behaviour, and so he uses his special pet powers to do that, all while introducing us to all his likes, dislikes, and his excellent observational skills. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, manno-malfoy said:

Reason for Nomination: This is such a gem of a story because it's told from the point of view of Crookshanks in the best way possible. Not only does it represent cat behaviour impeccably and accurately, but it's entertaining and, if I may say so, perfect. I really can't imagine that it's easy to write such a realistic story from the point of view of an animal. The story really does revolve around Crookshanks trying to find out what is causing a change in Hermione's behaviour, and so he uses his special pet powers to do that, all while introducing us to all his likes, dislikes, and his excellent observational skills. 

SECONDING

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2018 at 5:21 PM, victoria_anne said:

Thirded!! :hearteyes:

• Thanks 1

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:59 PM, StarFeather said:

Thirding :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Character Name: Lysander Scamander 

Story/Stories/Series Title: Lightning Love

Link to Story/Stories/Series: Mature

Author: @toomanycurls

Reason for Nomination: Lysander is the sweetest little cinnamon roll, and I love how adorkable he is. As always, Rose has a gift for writing such well rounded, realistic characters who you can’t help but to root for. From the first chapter I immediately loved him and am sure anyone else who reads the story will feel the same way. 

1 hour ago, MegGonagall said:

Reason for Nomination: Lysander is the sweetest little cinnamon roll, and I love how adorkable he is. As always, Rose has a gift for writing such well rounded, realistic characters who you can’t help but to root for. From the first chapter I immediately loved him and am sure anyone else who reads the story will feel the same way. 

Seconding!!!!! :hearteyes:

On 05/01/2018 at 8:19 PM, manno-malfoy said:

Thirding!

• Thanks 1

On 1/7/2018 at 7:34 PM, MegGonagall said:

Thirding!

Character Name: Olive Hornby

Story/Stories/Series Title: Dear Myrtle

Link to Story/Stories/Series: here (T)

Author: Stella Blue

Reason for Nomination: Olive Hornby is such a minor character in book canon, but she's someone who's always intrigued me, and Kristin really brought to life a character who only ever exists in a few lines.  Her exploration of Olive's back story is fascinating, and I found her relationship with Myrtle so interesting to read.  I loved this story, and it's such a brilliant example of what someone can do with a minor character.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nott theodore said:

Reason for Nomination: Olive Hornby is such a minor character in book canon, but she's someone who's always intrigued me, and Kristin really brought to life a character who only ever exists in a few lines.  Her exploration of Olive's back story is fascinating, and I found her relationship with Myrtle so interesting to read.  I loved this story, and it's such a brilliant example of what someone can do with a minor character.

Seconding this! 

29 minutes ago, nott theodore said:

Thirded

Character Name: Astoria Greengrass

Story/Stories/Series Title: Sidenote: Greengrass Dys/Function

Link to Story/Stories/Series: here+

Author: Beeezie

Reason for Nomination: There are no words for how flawless Astoria is, but I'll try to explain. She's a trauma survivor; a strong, independent woman; a bisexual hero; a no-nonsense Ravenclaw; and so much more. She's been through so much in this series and is still somehow going after it all. Branwen makes me feel like I know Astoria as a friend. I'm a hardcore Dramione shipper, but this series made me more than happy to see Draco with his canonical partner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Renacerá said:

Character Name: Astoria Greengrass

Story/Stories/Series Title: Sidenote: Greengrass Dys/Function

Link to Story/Stories/Series: here+

Author: Beeezie

Reason for Nomination: There are no words for how flawless Astoria is, but I'll try to explain. She's a trauma survivor; a strong, independent woman; a bisexual hero; a no-nonsense Ravenclaw; and so much more. She's been through so much in this series and is still somehow going after it all. Branwen makes me feel like I know Astoria as a friend. I'm a hardcore Dramione shipper, but this series made me more than happy to see Draco with his canonical partner.

Most definitely seconding!!! Branwen's Astoria is a freaking BOSS!!! xD 

• Thanks 1