HPFanficTalk
  • Announcements

• abhorsen.

January Bulletin   12/31/2017

January's bulletin is up! It includes information about recent staff/prefect bumps, the upcoming FROGS, some special awards, and more! You can check it out +here.

Best Major HP Character Nominations

Do you know of a story or series of stories that masterfully portrays a character from the Harry Potter series we all feel like we know? They may add depth to the character in ways we've never thought about, or (alternatively) be impossible to discern from how the character has been portrayed in the past. If so, please nominate them below! (You can view a list of major characters below the spoiler tag.)

Spoiler
  • Sirius Black

• Dobby

• Albus Dumbledore

• Dudley Dursley
  • Petunia Dursley
  • Vernon Dursley

• Lily Evans

• Hermione Granger

• Rubeus Hagrid

• Neville Longbottom

• Luna Lovegood

• Remus Lupin
  • Teddy Lupin

• Draco Malfoy
  • Scorpius Malfoy

• Minerva McGonagall

• Peter Pettigrew

• Albus Severus Potter
  • Harry Potter
  • James Potter
  • James Sirius Potter
  • Lily Luna Potter

• Severus Snape

• Nymphadora Tonks

• Voldemort

• Arthur Weasley
  • Bill Weasley
  • Fred Weasley
  • George Weasley
  • Ginny Weasley
  • Molly Weasley
  • Percy Weasley
  • Ron Weasley
  • Rose Weasley
  • Victoire Weasley

The major character does not need to be the POV character in the story or stories - just a main character. In addition, please note that the series does not need a formal designation on the archive to be used - as long as the character is consistent across multiple stories, it's valid. ;)

If a character jumps to mind, please nominate them here using the following form.

Character Name:

Story/Stories/Series Title:

Link to Story/Stories/Series:

Author:

Reason for Nomination:

You may also use your nomination to second or third a nomination someone else has already made. All nominated authors that receive three nominations (i.e., are seconded and then thirded) will move on to the voting round.

Previous 'Best Major Character' F.R.O.G.S. winners cannot be nominated for this award. That includes:

Lily Evans in In Fields Of Poppies by sunshinedaisieswindmills

Already through to final voting:

Albus Severus Potter from And the World Goes On by @manno-malfoy

Hermione Granger from After Life (M) by @MegGonagall

Lily Luna Potter from Icarus (M) by @Stella Blue

Petunia Evans/Dursley from Beyond Repair by @MuggleMaybe

Character Name: Lily Luna Potter

Story/Stories/Series Title: Icarus

Link to Story/Stories/Series: click (m)

Author: Stella Blue / @Stella Blue

Reason for Nomination: I had to think for a while about which category I wanted to nominate Icarus and at last, I decided on Best Major Character because undoubtedly, Kristin’s Lily is one of the most compelling, well-rounded, and likable characters I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading about. One of the best parts of Icarus was following Lily on her journey to self-acceptance and finding her own place in the world. This story has an undoubtedly insane plot (another reason that I love it so much) but one of the things that touches my heart about it and makes it feel universal regardless of the insane and obviously unrealistic plot is Lily’s very relatable and realistic character growth. Also, she’s honestly so hilarious. Truly a delight to read.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, forever_dreaming said:

Reason for Nomination: I had to think for a while about which category I wanted to nominate Icarus and at last, I decided on Best Major Character because undoubtedly, Kristin’s Lily is one of the most compelling, well-rounded, and likable characters I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading about. One of the best parts of Icarus was following Lily on her journey to self-acceptance and finding her own place in the world. This story has an undoubtedly insane plot (another reason that I love it so much) but one of the things that touches my heart about it and makes it feel universal regardless of the insane and obviously unrealistic plot is Lily’s very relatable and realistic character growth. Also, she’s honestly so hilarious. Truly a delight to read.

seconded

Character Name: Hermione Granger

Story/Stories/Series Title: After Life

Link to Story/Stories/Series: +Click [Mature]

Author: MegGonagall

Reason for Nomination: I've always loved Meg's wielding of Hermione in her previous works and this one certainly did not disappoint! The thing I love most about Hermione in this is that when Hermione is put in unusual situations, Meg understands her character so well that she's able to craft believable actions and reactions around these situations making for a very entertaining story. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin said:

Reason for Nomination: I've always loved Meg's wielding of Hermione in her previous works and this one certainly did not disappoint! The thing I love most about Hermione in this is that when Hermione is put in unusual situations, Meg understands her character so well that she's able to craft believable actions and reactions around these situations making for a very entertaining story. 

Second. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/1/2018 at 4:18 PM, forever_dreaming said:

Thirded! :wub:

On 1/3/2018 at 4:20 PM, Rumpelstiltskin said:

Thirding!

• Thanks 1

Character Name: Albus Potter

Story/Stories/Series Title: And The World Goes On (part of the Confounding Factors series)

Link to Story/Stories/Series: T

Author: @manno-malfoy

Reason for Nomination: What can't I say about this? Albus is absolutely effing perfect here. He has complexity layered on top of teenage angst on top of being asexual and also in love with his girlfriend (who is also perfectly written!). Manno does such an amazing job bringing Albus to life, and I can't recommend this story enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, abhorsen. said:

Story/Stories/Series Title: And The World Goes On (part of the Confounding Factors series)

Reason for Nomination: What can't I say about this? Albus is absolutely effing perfect here. He has complexity layered on top of teenage angst on top of being asexual and also in love with his girlfriend (who is also perfectly written!). Manno does such an amazing job bringing Albus to life, and I can't recommend this story enough.

Seconding!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, abhorsen. said:

3rd, third THIRD!!! :wub: 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

ugh just realized this doesn’t qualify. Don’t mind me. 

Edited by TreacleTart

Character Name: Petunia Evans/Dursley

Story/Stories/Series Title: Beyond Repair

Link to Story/Stories/Series: here (T)

Author: MuggleMaybe

Reason for Nomination: The concept of this story is so fascinating and unique - I don't think I've ever read a story which really explores the relationship between Lily and Petunia in such depth before.  Renee's portrayal of Petunia in this story is brilliant; it's very difficult to get me to sympathise with a character I dislike so much in the books, but she manages it here and I'm so impressed with the characterisation in this story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, nott theodore said:

Reason for Nomination: The concept of this story is so fascinating and unique - I don't think I've ever read a story which really explores the relationship between Lily and Petunia in such depth before.  Renee's portrayal of Petunia in this story is brilliant; it's very difficult to get me to sympathise with a character I dislike so much in the books, but she manages it here and I'm so impressed with the characterisation in this story.

Seconded!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, nott theodore said:

Thirding!

• Thanks 1

Character Name: Sirius Black

Story/Stories/Series Title: acceptance

Link to Story/Stories/Series: +here (M)

Author: sapphicsunrise

Reason for Nomination: This story is really unique and puts Sirius in a scenario that I don't think I've ever seen in another fanfiction, so I think it deserves to be commended for that alone - but the reason I think it deserves to be in this category is that Sirius is so well-characterized and well-written in this, even with the unusual-ness of the story. This piece puts a very popular character into a different scenario and does it really, really well, so I feel that it's deserving of the Best Major Character category. (And that's coming from me ;) )

2 hours ago, poppunkpadfoot said:

Character Name: Sirius Black

Story/Stories/Series Title: acceptance

Link to Story/Stories/Series: +here (M)

Author: sapphicsunrise

Reason for Nomination: This story is really unique and puts Sirius in a scenario that I don't think I've ever seen in another fanfiction, so I think it deserves to be commended for that alone - but the reason I think it deserves to be in this category is that Sirius is so well-characterized and well-written in this, even with the unusual-ness of the story. This piece puts a very popular character into a different scenario and does it really, really well, so I feel that it's deserving of the Best Major Character category. (And that's coming from me ;) )

Seconding!!!!

Character Name: Draco Malfoy

Story/Stories/Series Title: Sidenote: Greengrass Dys/Function

Link to Story/Stories/Series: here+

Author: Beeezie

Reason for Nomination: Branwen's Draco is phenomenal. Draco is one of my favorite characters as is, but Branwen adds so much dimension to him through his interactions with Astoria. She grows him to be someone readers can trust and root for. And she makes him earn it. I literally cannot say enough good things about this portrayal.

• Thanks 1