Jump to content
HPFanficTalk
  • Announcements

    • abhorsen.

      January Bulletin   12/31/2017

      January's bulletin is up! It includes information about recent staff/prefect bumps, the upcoming FROGS, some special awards, and more! You can check it out +here.

Recommended Posts

Best Dark/Horror (Fan)fiction Nominations

Sometimes we all need our stories which can be really scary, or are in another way really dark, either because of the topics mentioned, or because of the overall storyline. That's why we'd like to know whether you have come across that one story that scared you, or actually drew you in because of how dark it was. Have you come across one which you'd like to share with others? Please nominate that story!

Please use the form below when casting your nomination:

Archive Name:

Story Title:

Link to story:

Reason for nominating:

You may also second or third a nomination that's already been given. Any story with three nominations (ie. being seconded and thirded) will automatically continue to the voting round.

 

Already through to final voting:

Erasure (M) by @AbraxanUnicorn

Muggle Studies (M) by @esmeraude

The Skull Beneath the Skin (M) by @esmeraude

Spiral (M) by @Rumpelstiltskin

Got You (M) by @sihaya

Bruises (M) by @TreacleTart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Archive Name: esmeraude

Story Title: The Skull Beneath the Skin

Link to story: +Click [Mature]

Reason for nominating: Not only was this piece extremely well written (and I mean some gorgeous lines throughout), the characterization of the main character, Posy, is exposed so thoughtfully and thoroughly in the narrative that the piece is easy to get lost in and nearly impossible to stop reading. Speaking of characterization, between the slightly surly, brazen, strong main character, Posy, and the carefully crafted ensemble of secondary characters and minor characters, I couldn't help but fall in love. There are little twists and surprises scattered throughout paired with some downright shocking turns of events (and I'm looking right at Tib's wonderful insanity here) that are absolutely fantastic to read. Best of all, we're looking at things from potential Death Eater's perspectives (the other side of the story). So, yeah, if I had to choose just one story to nominate in the Dark genre, this one takes the cake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin said:

Archive Name: esmeraude

Story Title: The Skull Beneath the Skin

Link to story: +Click [Mature]

Reason for nominating: Not only was this piece extremely well written (and I mean some gorgeous lines throughout), the characterization of the main character, Posy, is exposed so thoughtfully and thoroughly in the narrative that the piece is easy to get lost in and nearly impossible to stop reading. Speaking of characterization, between the slightly surly, brazen, strong main character, Posy, and the carefully crafted ensemble of secondary characters and minor characters, I couldn't help but fall in love. There are little twists and surprises scattered throughout paired with some downright shocking turns of events (and I'm looking right at Tib's wonderful insanity here) that are absolutely fantastic to read. Best of all, we're looking at things from potential Death Eater's perspectives (the other side of the story). So, yeah, if I had to choose just one story to nominate in the Dark genre, this one takes the cake. 

Seconded! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Archive Name: TreacleTart

Story Title: The Forest (T)

Link to story: The Forest (T)

Reason for nominating: From Kaitlin's splendid descriptions, I imagined the forest in the story like " Aokigahara" in Japan where not a few people go deeper to try suicide. Each description about the horrible scene Marta (the main character) witnessed in the forest sent me a chill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Archive Name: Rumpelstiltskin / @Rumpelstiltskin

Story Title: Spiral 

Link to story: Click (M)

Reason for nominating: This piece is amazing!  It explores snippets of Sirius' life at his darkest points, Rumpels does a beautiful job writing his pain, it's so well thought out and it's a short piece but it's so well written so the pacing is perfect. the angst is just so strong in this piece but it's really wonderfully done. it's engaging and gripping wolfstar! 

Edited by Veritaserum27
Added link to mature rated material
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Archive Name: TreacleTart

Story Title: Bruises

Link to story: here+ (M)

Reason for nominating: Kaitlin's storytelling in this is just stunning. I was at the edge of my seat the whole time while reading this, as she described the treatment of a girl locked up in an asylum of sorts, and what it took in order to leave. There was just something painfully reminiscent of the real world, and how those who don't fit into society's neat little boxes are encouraged (and sometimes beaten) to stop being who they are. I absolutely loved every moment of this story, and I definitely think it deserves this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Crimson Quill said:

Archive Name: Rumpelstiltskin / @Rumpelstiltskin

Story Title: Spiral 

Link to story: Click (M)

Reason for nominating: This piece is amazing!  It explores snippets of Sirius' life at his darkest points, Rumpels does a beautiful job writing his pain, it's so well thought out and it's a short piece but it's so well written so the pacing is perfect. the angst is just so strong in this piece but it's really wonderfully done. it's engaging and gripping wolfstar! 

Seconding!

Edited by Veritaserum27
Added rating to link for mature rated material

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Archive Name: emeraude

Story Title: Muggle Studies

Link to story: M

Reason for nominating: 

This is one of the most unique stories that I've come across during the snowball event and perhaps in all my time reading fanfiction. It's written in such a unique way from multiple perspectives, and it's so meticulously done that it kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time I was reading it. It really unfolds like a puzzle and doesn't entirely make sense until the very last sentence. It is one of the stories that really stuck with me, mostly for the writing technique, but also for the way it focused on super minor characters and fleshed them out even though we were hardly ever in direct contact with them. And I personally got very emotionally invested in these characters, despite the short length of the story, and then they eventually shocked me and broke my heart. And I think it takes special skills to put such an amazing story together and it definitely deserves loads of love and acknowledgement! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Archive Name: @victoria_anne

Story Title: The Harder They Fall

Link to story: here (M)

Reason for nominating: if for some reason you haven't read this yet, you need to fix it right now! Bianca's writing is stunning, as always, and she will lead you down a path of mystery, twists and emotions that you just won't help but follow holding your breath to the very end. All the characters she creates are wonderful and you can't help but fall in love with all of them and break your heart as tragedy struck them. It's just a great novel at every level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2018 at 3:01 PM, Crimson Quill said:

Archive Name: Rumpelstiltskin / @Rumpelstiltskin

Story Title: Spiral 

Link to story: Click (M)

Reason for nominating: This piece is amazing!  It explores snippets of Sirius' life at his darkest points, Rumpels does a beautiful job writing his pain, it's so well thought out and it's a short piece but it's so well written so the pacing is perfect. the angst is just so strong in this piece but it's really wonderfully done. it's engaging and gripping wolfstar! 

Thirding

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Archive Name: AbraxanUnicorn

Story Title: Erasure

Link to story: Link+ (M)

Reason for nominating: This was, I felt, a pretty outstanding piece about George Weasley. If I gush too much, it will give away the ending, but in his need to escape one nightmare, he gets locked inside another. Very well written with a wonderful twist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WindingArrow said:

Archive Name: AbraxanUnicorn

Story Title: Erasure

Link to story: Link+ (M)

Reason for nominating: This was, I felt, a pretty outstanding piece about George Weasley. If I gush too much, it will give away the ending, but in his need to escape one nightmare, he gets locked inside another. Very well written with a wonderful twist.

SECONDING!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, WindingArrow said:

Archive Name: AbraxanUnicorn

Story Title: Erasure

Link to story: Link+ (M)

Reason for nominating: This was, I felt, a pretty outstanding piece about George Weasley. If I gush too much, it will give away the ending, but in his need to escape one nightmare, he gets locked inside another. Very well written with a wonderful twist.

third!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2018 at 8:15 PM, just.a.willow.tree said:

Archive Name: TreacleTart

Story Title: Bruises

Link to story: here+ (M)

Reason for nominating: Kaitlin's storytelling in this is just stunning. I was at the edge of my seat the whole time while reading this, as she described the treatment of a girl locked up in an asylum of sorts, and what it took in order to leave. There was just something painfully reminiscent of the real world, and how those who don't fit into society's neat little boxes are encouraged (and sometimes beaten) to stop being who they are. I absolutely loved every moment of this story, and I definitely think it deserves this.

seconding!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 1:15 AM, just.a.willow.tree said:

Archive Name: TreacleTart

Story Title: Bruises

Link to story: here+ (M)

Reason for nominating: Kaitlin's storytelling in this is just stunning. I was at the edge of my seat the whole time while reading this, as she described the treatment of a girl locked up in an asylum of sorts, and what it took in order to leave. There was just something painfully reminiscent of the real world, and how those who don't fit into society's neat little boxes are encouraged (and sometimes beaten) to stop being who they are. I absolutely loved every moment of this story, and I definitely think it deserves this.

Most definitely thirded!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/01/2018 at 2:13 AM, Rumpelstiltskin said:

Archive Name: esmeraude

Story Title: The Skull Beneath the Skin

Link to story: +Click [Mature]

Reason for nominating: Not only was this piece extremely well written (and I mean some gorgeous lines throughout), the characterization of the main character, Posy, is exposed so thoughtfully and thoroughly in the narrative that the piece is easy to get lost in and nearly impossible to stop reading. Speaking of characterization, between the slightly surly, brazen, strong main character, Posy, and the carefully crafted ensemble of secondary characters and minor characters, I couldn't help but fall in love. There are little twists and surprises scattered throughout paired with some downright shocking turns of events (and I'm looking right at Tib's wonderful insanity here) that are absolutely fantastic to read. Best of all, we're looking at things from potential Death Eater's perspectives (the other side of the story). So, yeah, if I had to choose just one story to nominate in the Dark genre, this one takes the cake. 

Thirded! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Archive Name: Sihaya

Story Title: Got You

Link to story: here+ (M)

Reason for nominating: This story is so original and awesome. Sian wrote about Fenrir Greyback, and I wasn't in a rage the whole time I read this. In fact, this story is such a disturbing exploration of his mental state that I almost felt sympathetic towards him. The language is fabulous, the writing--as always for Sian--pristine. This story will give you goosebumps.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Renacerá said:

Archive Name: Sihaya

Story Title: Got You

Link to story: here+ (M)

Reason for nominating: This story is so original and awesome. Sian wrote about Fenrir Greyback, and I wasn't in a rage the whole time I read this. In fact, this story is such a disturbing exploration of his mental state that I almost felt sympathetic towards him. The language is fabulous, the writing--as always for Sian--pristine. This story will give you goosebumps.

Seconded!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Renacerá said:

Archive Name: Sihaya

Story Title: Got You

Link to story: here+ (M)

Reason for nominating: This story is so original and awesome. Sian wrote about Fenrir Greyback, and I wasn't in a rage the whole time I read this. In fact, this story is such a disturbing exploration of his mental state that I almost felt sympathetic towards him. The language is fabulous, the writing--as always for Sian--pristine. This story will give you goosebumps.

Third!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5.1.2018 at 7:36 PM, manno-malfoy said:

Archive Name: emeraude

Story Title: Muggle Studies

Link to story: M

Reason for nominating: 

This is one of the most unique stories that I've come across during the snowball event and perhaps in all my time reading fanfiction. It's written in such a unique way from multiple perspectives, and it's so meticulously done that it kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time I was reading it. It really unfolds like a puzzle and doesn't entirely make sense until the very last sentence. It is one of the stories that really stuck with me, mostly for the writing technique, but also for the way it focused on super minor characters and fleshed them out even though we were hardly ever in direct contact with them. And I personally got very emotionally invested in these characters, despite the short length of the story, and then they eventually shocked me and broke my heart. And I think it takes special skills to put such an amazing story together and it definitely deserves loads of love and acknowledgement! 

Seconding!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2018 at 1:36 PM, manno-malfoy said:

Archive Name: emeraude

Story Title: Muggle Studies

Link to story: M

Reason for nominating: 

This is one of the most unique stories that I've come across during the snowball event and perhaps in all my time reading fanfiction. It's written in such a unique way from multiple perspectives, and it's so meticulously done that it kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time I was reading it. It really unfolds like a puzzle and doesn't entirely make sense until the very last sentence. It is one of the stories that really stuck with me, mostly for the writing technique, but also for the way it focused on super minor characters and fleshed them out even though we were hardly ever in direct contact with them. And I personally got very emotionally invested in these characters, despite the short length of the story, and then they eventually shocked me and broke my heart. And I think it takes special skills to put such an amazing story together and it definitely deserves loads of love and acknowledgement! 

Thirding!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
UA-79258518-1