HPFanficTalk
  • Announcements

• abhorsen.

January Bulletin   12/31/2017

January's bulletin is up! It includes information about recent staff/prefect bumps, the upcoming FROGS, some special awards, and more! You can check it out +here.
abhorsen.

Best Depiction of Mental Illness/Disability Nominations

Posted (edited)

Best Depiction of a Mental Illness/Disability

Do you know of a character in a story/series for whom mental illness or disability is explored in a particularly noteworthy way? You may appreciate how the author depicts the struggles the character faces as a result of the illness or disability, or the way the author humanizes them. It may even have taught you something you didn't know - or made you feel less alone. <3  If anyone jumps to mind, please nominate them below! This character can come from any fandom or original fiction, and be a canon character or an OC. It's totally up to you.

This character does not need to be the POV character in the story or stories - just a main character. In addition, please note that the series does not need a formal designation on the archive to be used - as long as the character is consistent across multiple stories, it's valid. ;)

If you have a character in mind, please nominate them here using the following form.

Character Name:

Mental Illness/Disability:

Story/Stories/Series Title:

Link to Story/Stories/Series:

Author:

Reason for Nomination:

You may also use your nomination to second or third a nomination someone else has already made. All nominated authors that receive three nominations (i.e., are seconded and then thirded) will move on to the voting round.

Previous 'Best Mental Illness' F.R.O.G.S. winners cannot be nominated for this award. That includes:

Haunting Shadows by dreamgazer220

Edited by PaulaTheProkaryote

Character Name: Regulus Black

Mental Illness/Disability: Depression

Story: keyframe

Link to StoryClick

Author: forever_dreaming / @forever_dreaming

Reason for nomination: so this is really wonderfully written piece. I thought Shreya did a beautiful job at portraying Regulus' thoughts in one of his darkest hours. I thought it was very sensitively handled and I loved how his depression was compared to music and how that was a running theme through out the piece. I thought the dynamic between Regulus and Pandora was good and it ended on a hopeful but realistic note. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Crimson Quill said:

Character Name: Regulus Black

Story: keyframe

Link to StoryClick

Author: forever_dreaming / @forever_dreaming

Reason for nomination: so this is really wonderfully written piece. I thought Shreya did a beautiful job at portraying Regulus' thoughts in one of his darkest hours. I thought it was very sensitively handled and I loved how his depression was compared to music and how that was a running theme through out the piece. I thought the dynamic between Regulus and Pandora was good and it ended on a hopeful but realistic note. 

Seconded.

• Thanks 1

Character Name: Sirius Black 

Mental Illness/Disability: Mental Illness

Story/Stories/Series Title: The Department (M)

Link to Story/Stories/Series: The Department (M)

Author: poppunkpadfoot

Reason for Nomination: Reading Kayla's story, I imagined the dark hallway, staircase of Grimmauld Place and his mother's shriek. I felt pity for Sirius who had found that his brother Regulus ended in his mysterious death. (spoiler alert!!! →) Even he saw his brother's ghost there.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Character Name: Sirius Black 

Mental Illness/Disability: Mental Illness

Story/Stories/Series Title: The Department (M)

Link to Story/Stories/Series: The Department (M)

Author: poppunkpadfoot

Reason for Nomination: Reading Kayla's story, I imagined the dark hallway, staircase of Grimmauld Place and his mother's shriek. I felt pity for Sirius who had found that his brother Regulus ended in his mysterious death. (spoiler alert!!! →) Even he saw his brother's ghost there

Seconded!

Edited by TreacleTart
  • Like 1

Mental Illness/Disability: Depression, PTSD

Story/Stories/Series Title: Words and Silences

Link to Story/Stories/Series:  +Click [Mature]

Author: shadowkat678

Reason for Nomination: "Words and Silences" is an extraordinarily written piece--it's dark and heartbreaking and immediately connects the reader to the character so they are immediately swept away in Sirius' pain. I think the author did a fantastic job exploring a character who is struggling with both depression and PTSD, allowing for Sirius' thoughts and actions to reflect the narrative and sentence-structure in a way that captivates the reader. 

23 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin said:

Mental Illness/Disability: Depression, PTSD

Story/Stories/Series Title: Words and Silences

Link to Story/Stories/Series:  +Click [Mature]

Author: shadowkat678

Reason for Nomination: "Words and Silences" is an extraordinarily written piece--it's dark and heartbreaking and immediately connects the reader to the character so they are immediately swept away in Sirius' pain. I think the author did a fantastic job exploring a character who is struggling with both depression and PTSD, allowing for Sirius' thoughts and actions to reflect the narrative and sentence-structure in a way that captivates the reader. 

Seconding!

Character Name: Lavender Brown

Mental Illness/Disability: Anxiety/Depression

Story/Stories/Series Title: Blue Lavender

Link to Story/Stories/Series: M

Author: @nott theodore

Reason for Nomination: I'm a sucker for post-war damaged!Lavender fics in general, but this one is one of the best. As someone who grapples with depression, Sian's description of Lavender's pain (both past and present) - is just so, so visceral and real. I can't speak highly enough about this fic. <3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 1/3/2018 at 10:10 AM, StarFeather said:

Character Name: Sirius Black 

Mental Illness/Disability: Mental Illness

Story/Stories/Series Title: The Department (M)

Link to Story/Stories/Series: The Department (M)

Author: poppunkpadfoot

Reason for Nomination: Reading Kayla's story, I imagined the dark hallway, staircase of Grimmauld Place and his mother's shriek. I felt pity for Sirius who had found that his brother Regulus ended in his mysterious death. (spoiler alert!!! →) Even he saw his brother's ghost there.

Thirded!!! :thumbsup: Kayla is siriusly such a master when it comes to writing the character of Sirius Black, lol! She really gets into his head, and it just feels like she knows him him SO WELL. 

Edited by RoxiMalfoy
  • Like 1

Character Name: Astoria Greengrass

Mental Illness/Disability: depression, PTSD

Story/Stories/Series Title: Dead Eyes and Red Eyes

Link to Story/Stories/Series: here+ (M)

Author: Beeezie

Reason for Nomination: Branwen does a fabulous job of showing how the war has affected Astoria and the self-harming mechanisms she uses to cope. This is such a realistic moment for Astoria, going through the trauma of living through terrible things. The characterization is spot on. The emotions are real. And, for anyone who loves Branwen's Drastoria fics, this is where they meet!

• Thanks 1

Character Name: Andromeda Black/Tonks

Story/Stories/Series Title: Dull Ache

Link to Story/Stories/Series: here (M)

Author: toomanycurls

Reason for Nomination: I can't say enough to do this story justice.  It's a beautifully heartbreaking depiction of the grief Andromeda feels after losing her baby, and the way that she tries to come to terms with her loss, struggling to process what has happened.  The emotions are so gut-wrenching and evocative and - just read it.  Please.

23 minutes ago, Renacerá said:

Character Name: Astoria Greengrass

Mental Illness/Disability: depression, PTSD

Story/Stories/Series Title: Dead Eyes and Red Eyes

Link to Story/Stories/Series: here+ (M)

Author: Beeezie

Reason for Nomination: Branwen does a fabulous job of showing how the war has affected Astoria and the self-harming mechanisms she uses to cope. This is such a realistic moment for Astoria, going through the trauma of living through terrible things. The characterization is spot on. The emotions are real. And, for anyone who loves Branwen's Drastoria fics, this is where they meet!

Seconding!

• Thanks 1