HPFanficTalk
  • Announcements

• abhorsen.

January Bulletin   12/31/2017

January's bulletin is up! It includes information about recent staff/prefect bumps, the upcoming FROGS, some special awards, and more! You can check it out +here.

Best LGBTQA+ Character Nominations

Is there an LGBTQA+ character in a story/series who you think is particularly well-done? The story might be centered around a very fluffy Deamus pairing that makes you squee from the sheer adorableness, or it might be about Ginny Weasley coming to terms with being ace. Maybe Remus is really bi, or James Sirius is trans. If any character comes to mind, please nominate them below! :D This character can come from any fandom or original fiction, and be a canon character or an OC. It's totally up to you.

This character does not need to be the POV character in the story or stories - just a main character. In addition, please note that the series does not need a formal designation on the archive to be used - as long as the character is consistent across multiple stories, it's valid. ;)

If you have a character in mind, please nominate them here using the following form.

Character Name:

Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity:

Story/Stories/Series Title:

Link to Story/Stories/Series:

Author:

Reason for Nomination:

You may also use your nomination to second or third a nomination someone else has already made. All nominated authors that receive three nominations (i.e., are seconded and then thirded) will move on to the voting round.

Already through to final voting:

Hannah Abbott in When I Go Out With You (M) by @Dojh167

Albus Severus Potter from And the World Went On by @manno-malfoy

Albus Severus Potter in the 'Before the Sun Sets' Series by @toomanycurls

Previous 'Best LGBTQA+' F.R.O.G.S. winners cannot be nominated for this award. That includes:

A Little Like This by banshee

Posted (edited)

Character Name: Hannah Abbott

Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity: bisexual

Story Title: When I Go Out With You

Link to Story: click+ (M)

Author: Dojh167

Reason for Nomination: Sam took a relatively unknown character and gave her a depth that could have fooled me into thinking that Hannah Abbott had been a fully fleshed-out character in the original novels. But everything about her is all Sam's. The way Hannah's life in love was explored throughout the story was so beautifully written. One of the best things about this story is that it spoke on polyamory, and how Hannah found love in both Susan and Neville. Just, being able to see Hannah's growth throughout the story was incredibly rewarding, as she learned to accept and embrace different parts of herself, as a bisexual woman with so much love to give to others.

Edited by Veritaserum27
Added rating for mature link.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

Reason for Nomination: Sam took a relatively unknown character and gave her a depth that could have fooled me into thinking that Hannah Abbott had been a fully fleshed-out character in the original novels. But everything about her is all Sam's. The way Hannah's life in love was explored throughout the story was so beautifully written. One of the best things about this story is that it spoke on polyamory, and how Hannah found love in both Susan and Neville. Just, being able to see Hannah's growth throughout the story was incredibly rewarding, as she learned to accept and embrace different parts of herself, as a bisexual woman with so much love to give to others.

Seconding!

Edited by Veritaserum27
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Character Name: Dominique Weasley

Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity: Bisexual

Story/Stories/Series Title: And Again

Link to Story/Stories/Series: Click (M) 

Author: nott.theodore

Reason for Nomination: I thought it was a really very written coming out story but more importantly that Sian is able to give Dominique her own layered personality within this one-shot. She is more than her sexuality even though this story puts focus on that. She is feisty, loyal and fun character with clear thought process and the one-shot shows her grow in confidence and how comfortable she is as person. It is such an enjoyable story with a really strongly written lgbtqa+ character to lead it. 

Edited by Veritaserum27
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

Thirding this so hard.

Edited by Veritaserum27

Posted (edited)

Character Name: Professor Grubbly-Plank

Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity: Lesbian

Story/Stories/Series Title: Miss Grubbly Plank Finds Herself

Link to Story/Stories/Series: Miss Grubbly (M)

Author: FireOpal

Reason for Nomination: Though I couldn't leave a review during House Cup activity due to time limited (I asked poppunkpadfoot to do instead), I don't forget the first impression when I read this story. If you nominate a story for Best HPFT LGBTQA, from HP fandom's POV, "the idea that there would be gay unicorns whose horns go leftwards (from Kayla's review) " is very unique and once you read this, you can't forget this mystic fantasy with the unicorns and professor Grubbly-Plank's fieldwork. 

Edited by StarFeather

Character Name: Bram Greenfeld

Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity: gay

Series Title: Blue vs.

Link to Story/Stories/Series: Here (M)

Author: banshee

Reason for Nomination: I couldn't sleep so I was looking for something light and fluffy and well written and Julie's AP is always a solid choice for that. She brought all of us over to the Simon vs. universe and this series is a bunch of cute stories from the book but in Blue's POV. She stays in the writing style of the author so it feels like it's snagged straight out of the book. She has Blue being a complete awkward cutie. It's just so nice and sweet and fluffy for the most part and the characterization throughout it is 10/10. You see him mulling over his feelings for Jacques, a heck of a lot of what ifs, and some cute boys trying to figure out who they are in the world. My favorite one in the series was Possibility so if you only check out one that's the one I recommend, but the whole series is perf. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PaulaTheProkaryote said:

Character Name: Bram Greenfeld

Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity: gay

Series Title: Blue vs.

Link to Story/Stories/Series: Here (M)

Author: banshee

Reason for Nomination: I couldn't sleep so I was looking for something light and fluffy and well written and Julie's AP is always a solid choice for that. She brought all of us over to the Simon vs. universe and this series is a bunch of cute stories from the book but in Blue's POV. She stays in the writing style of the author so it feels like it's snagged straight out of the book. She has Blue being a complete awkward cutie. It's just so nice and sweet and fluffy for the most part and the characterization throughout it is 10/10. You see him mulling over his feelings for Jacques, a heck of a lot of what ifs, and some cute boys trying to figure out who they are in the world. My favorite one in the series was Possibility so if you only check out one that's the one I recommend, but the whole series is perf. 

Seconding!

• Like 1

Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity: Transgender

Story/Stories/Series Title: Esse Quan Videri

Link to Story/Stories/Series: Link+ (M)

Author: TidalDragon

Reason for Nomination: This is a great piece featuring what one person is willing to put themselves through just to feel like they are (or are at least close to) who they were meant to be. Kevin plays a wonderful game of pronouns in this piece that adds almost an air of mystery to the story for the first part of it. Taking place in a hospital bed after an overdose, this story is well written, gripping and very powerful.

On 1/3/2018 at 2:42 AM, Crimson Quill said:

Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity: Bisexual

Story/Stories/Series Title: And Again

Link to Story/Stories/Series: Click (M) 

Author: nott.theodore

Reason for Nomination: I thought it was a really very written coming out story but more importantly that Sian is able to give Dominique her own layered personality within this one-shot. She is more than her sexuality even though this story puts focus on that. She is feisty, loyal and fun character with clear thought process and the one-shot shows her grow in confidence and how comfortable she is as person. It is such an enjoyable story with a really strongly written lgbtqa+ character to lead it. 

seconding!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Character Name: Albus Severus Potter 

Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity: Gay

Story/Stories/Series Title: Before the Sun Sets (next gen) Series 

Link to Story/Stories/Series: Mature

Author: @toomanycurls

Reason for Nomination: Albus is one of my favorite characters in this series. Just reading his character growth from Pure Intentions, to the later oneshots, from after the two novels, was a great experience. There were times when I wanted to slap him, and other times I wanted to hug him, and others that I wanted to cry for him. He was never stagnant, and such a pleasure to follow through some pretty trying times in his life. And his relationship with Brandon is one of my favorites in all of time. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MegGonagall said:

Reason for Nomination: Albus is one of my favorite characters in this series. Just reading his character growth from Pure Intentions, to the later oneshots, from after the two novels, was a great experience. There were times when I wanted to slap him, and other times I wanted to hug him, and others that I wanted to cry for him. He was never stagnant, and such a pleasure to follow through some pretty trying times in his life. And his relationship with Brandon is one of my favorites in all of time. 

I feel like we're reading each other's minds when it comes to who we want to see nommed? hard core seconding this!

• Like 1

On 1/7/2018 at 8:19 PM, MegGonagall said:

OMG, SOO MUCH THIRDING!!! :wub: 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2018 at 2:27 PM, WindingArrow said:

Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity: Transgender

Story/Stories/Series Title: Esse Quan Videri

Link to Story/Stories/Series: Link+ (M)

Author: TidalDragon

Reason for Nomination: This is a great piece featuring what one person is willing to put themselves through just to feel like they are (or are at least close to) who they were meant to be. Kevin plays a wonderful game of pronouns in this piece that adds almost an air of mystery to the story for the first part of it. Taking place in a hospital bed after an overdose, this story is well written, gripping and very powerful.

Second!

Character Name: Albus Potter

Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity: asexual

Story/Stories/Series Title: And the World Went On (Confounding Factors series)

Link to Story/Stories/Series: here (T)

Author: manno-malfoy

Reason for Nomination: I love Manno's writing and I love this story - it's so rich and complex and well-told, and even without reading any of her characters before, it's very easy to fall in love with them.  Albus is a brilliant character - moody and confused and loveable - and I thought his struggle to understand what asexuality means for him and his relationship with his girlfriend (who's also a fantastic character!) was so well written and portrayed.  (Pretty sure someone has said this elsewhere, but you need to read this!)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nott theodore said:

Reason for Nomination: I love Manno's writing and I love this story - it's so rich and complex and well-told, and even without reading any of her characters before, it's very easy to fall in love with them.  Albus is a brilliant character - moody and confused and loveable - and I thought his struggle to understand what asexuality means for him and his relationship with his girlfriend (who's also a fantastic character!) was so well written and portrayed.  (Pretty sure someone has said this elsewhere, but you need to read this!)

Seconded :)

5 minutes ago, nott theodore said:

Thirded!

Character Name: Luna Lovegood

Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity: lesbian/bisexual

Story/Stories/Series Title: Peppermint

Link to Story/Stories/Series: here+ (M)

Author: sapphicsunrise

Reason for Nomination: This is such a sweet story. I really love Luna and Ginny together, and this story completely sold me on their friendship which grew to more. I also loved that Dean and Seamus made an appearance as a couple as well! Just a nice holiday story that I'm totally here for!

• Like 1