HPFanficTalk
  • Announcements

• abhorsen.

January Bulletin   12/31/2017

January's bulletin is up! It includes information about recent staff/prefect bumps, the upcoming FROGS, some special awards, and more! You can check it out +here.

Best Angst (Fan)fiction Nominations

Have you read a story that made you want to cry? Made you want to scream to the author about the unfairness of it all and you want to know when it gets better because it is all too much? Then this is the place to drop your nominations for stories like that.

Please fill out the following form when nominating:

Archive name:

Story title:

Link to story:

Reason for nominating:

You may also second or third a nomination that's already been given. Any story with three nominations (ie. being seconded and thirded) will automatically continue to the voting round.

Please note that previous winners of the Best Angst (Fan)fiction F.R.O.G.S.' award can not be nominated again. That includes:

Schrodinger's Cat by TidalDragon.

Already through to final voting:

gods without grace (M) by @dirigibleplums

Haunting Shadows (M) by @dreamgazer220

silence.death. (M) by @poppunkpadfoot

This Misery Will Suffice (M) by @BellaLestrange87

Posted (edited)

Archive name: poppunkpadfoot / @poppunkpadfoot

Story title: silence.death.

Link to story: silence.death. (M)

Reason for nominating: So I can't think about a story more deserving than this one. Kayla has beautifully written this piece, the topic is so sensitive but she does it justice. It's amazing how she explores the topic in such detail with such wonderful bright imagery. You can feel Remus' pain in this piece,  It's such an emotional one-shot and the ending just ruined me. It's engaging, interesting and thought provoking piece. I feel like I'm not doing it justice with my words but if you haven't you need to read her story! 

Edited by LadyL8
Added rating to mature link
  • Like 2

Archive name: dreamgazer220

Story title: Haunting Shadows

Link to story: Here (M)

Reason for nominating: Jill is the angsty character queen, and this story is definitely one of her darker ones. She explores the relationships between so many different characters in this story, where every character feels so real and brings their own problems and conflicts into the story, leaving you on the edge of your seat.

2 hours ago, victoria_anne said:

Reason for nominating: Jill is the angsty character queen, and this story is definitely one of her darker ones. She explores the relationships between so many different characters in this story, where every character feels so real and brings their own problems and conflicts into the story, leaving you on the edge of your seat.

Seconded! 

Posted (edited)

Archive name:  dirigibleplums

Story title: Gods Without Grace

Link to story: +click [Mature]

Reason for nominating: A time-travel fic, taking us back to the time in the First Wizarding War Era where Tom Riddle attends Hogwarts as a student, which features Hermione Granger who loses her memories. Oh yes, yes, yes! This is a twisted, dark, and angsty fic and I loved every second of it. The quality of the story, itself, was positively stunning! As Hermione is sucked into an utter debacle of the utter, terrifying darkness that is Tom Riddle while struggling with her amnesia, the plot is intense and keeps you right on the edge of your seat.  I promise, once you start reading it, you will not be able to put it down. Hermione's characterization, given her position, was done so thoughtfully and Tom Riddle's characterization was simply on point--terrifying, dark, twisted, cruel, and manipulative. Amazing job. 

Edited by Rumpelstiltskin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 3.1.2018 at 1:23 AM, Crimson Quill said:

Reason for nominating: So I can't think about a story more deserving than this one. Kayla has beautifully written this piece, the topic is so sensitive but she does it justice. It's amazing how she explores the topic in such detail with such wonderful bright imagery. You can feel Remus' pain in this piece,  It's such an emotional one-shot and the ending just ruined me. It's engaging, interesting and thought provoking piece. I feel like I'm not doing it justice with my words but if you haven't you need to read her story! 

Absolutely seconding!

Edited by LadyL8
  • Like 1

Archive name: MuggleMaybe

Story title: Beyond Repair (T)

Link to story: Lily / Petunia (T)

Reason for nominating: When I look back this story, I feel sad remembering Lily's deep emotion, attachment to Petunia. Renee expressed how Lily tried doing anything to please her sister and Petunia's complicated feeling towards her sister who lived in a different world (the magical world), her jealous heart and her affection for Lily.   

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, StarFeather said:

Reason for nominating: When I look back this story, I feel sad remembering Lily's deep emotion, attachment to Petunia. Renee expressed how Lily tried doing anything to please her sister and Petunia's complicated feeling towards her sister who lived in a different world (the magical world), her jealous heart and her affection for Lily.   

Seconding!

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
On 3.1.2018 at 1:23 AM, Crimson Quill said:

Thirded! :wub:

Edited by LadyL8

Archive name: @BellaLestrange87

Story title: This Misery Will Suffice

Link to story: M

Reason for nominating: There are so many layers to this story! Olivia weaves together Astoria's life over the course of many years in a way that builds her fears and anxiety into something with deeper (and more painful) meaning. It's an absolutely amazing one-shot, and I can't recommend it strongly enough.

• Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 3:16 AM, Rumpelstiltskin said:

Reason for nominating: A time-travel fic, taking us back to the time in the First Wizarding War Era where Tom Riddle attends Hogwarts as a student, which features Hermione Granger who loses her memories. Oh yes, yes, yes! This is a twisted, dark, and angsty fic and I loved every second of it. The quality of the story, itself, was positively stunning! As Hermione is sucked into an utter debacle of the utter, terrifying darkness that is Tom Riddle while struggling with her amnesia, the plot is intense and keeps you right on the edge of your seat.  I promise, once you start reading it, you will not be able to put it down. Hermione's characterization, given her position, was done so thoughtfully and Tom Riddle's characterization was simply on point--terrifying, dark, twisted, cruel, and manipulative. Amazing job. 

Seconding.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Archive name: @RoxiMalfoy

Story title: Love, Not War

Link to story: Mature

Reason for nominating: I’ve been meaning to read this for a while, and I’m so glad I finally have started it. I’m only a few chapters in, and already there have been moments that have affected me, and have stayed with me hours after reading it. There’s this ominous tone as you read, that makes the angst truly come alive, where you can physically feel it. Even from the very beginning, it’s dark and packed with such amazingly written angst. I cannot recommend this story highly enough and truly believe it deserves the recognition. 

Edited by MegGonagall
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, AbraxanUnicorn said:
On 1/2/2018 at 10:16 PM, Rumpelstiltskin said:

Seconding.

Thirded? but yeah this was such a great read, and i've reread it multiple times :^)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MegGonagall said:

Archive name: @RoxiMalfoy

Story title: Love, Not War

Link to story: Mature

Reason for nominating: I’ve been meaning to read this for a while, and I’m so glad I finally have started it. I’m only a few chapters in, and already there have been moments that have affected me, and have stayed with me hours after reading it. There’s this ominous tone as you read, that makes the angst truly come alive, where you can physically feel it. Even from the very beginning, it’s dark and packed with such amazingly written angst. I cannot recommend this story highly enough and truly believe it deserves the recognition. 

Seconding my loves <3 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2018 at 11:18 PM, abhorsen. said:

Reason for nominating: There are so many layers to this story! Olivia weaves together Astoria's life over the course of many years in a way that builds her fears and anxiety into something with deeper (and more painful) meaning. It's an absolutely amazing one-shot, and I can't recommend it strongly enough.

Seconded!

• Like 1

On 5.1.2018 at 8:18 AM, abhorsen. said:

Thirding!

• Like 1

Archive name: clairevergreen

Story title: to the end of time

Link to story: +here (M)

Reason for nominating: I feel like anyone who's read this story will just know instantly why I've nominated it. Claire is TORTURING US with such an intense slow burn and there's so many genuinely heart-wrenching moments in this story. It's really beautifully written and it's impossible not to feel for Parvati when her emotions are described so poignantly.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, poppunkpadfoot said:

Archive name: clairevergreen

Story title: to the end of time

Link to story: +here (M)

Reason for nominating: I feel like anyone who's read this story will just know instantly why I've nominated it. Claire is TORTURING US with such an intense slow burn and there's so many genuinely heart-wrenching moments in this story. It's really beautifully written and it's impossible not to feel for Parvati when her emotions are described so poignantly.

Second 

On 1/2/2018 at 7:24 PM, victoria_anne said:

Hardcore thirding!!

On 1/3/2018 at 8:49 AM, just.a.willow.tree said:
On 1/3/2018 at 8:41 AM, StarFeather said:

Seconding!

Absolutely Thirding!!! ^_^ 

• Thanks 1